Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

OMG are looking just fantastic. If (when, really) they win this series I strongly anticipate seeing them in the final.

edit: Najin decide to blow everything on San, who is 0/1. Somehow this doesn't work out.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Gogoing is either ridiculously good or playing the series of his life, holy poo poo. :stare:

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Gogoing is a total monster holy christ. That presence of mind to go after Nami there because he knew Mao had no way out, jeeez

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

occipitallobe posted:

OMG are looking just fantastic. If (when, really) they win this series I strongly anticipate seeing them in the final.

I'm dying to see who wins between Uzi and Gogoing. Which player can put a team on their backs more?

Also goddamn, on that note, Gogoing is an absolute god. DO NOT GIVE HIM RYZE EVER.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Ihki, a week ago posted:

I wish OMG had a good support player so I wouldn't feel so guilty rooting for them :smith:
Yeah, about that :swoon:

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Watch playing hilariously bad in fights and yet manages to be incredible at stealing things.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Gogoing :swoon:

Road to Worlds made me a fan, but this series affirmed that.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

TyrantWD posted:

Gogoing :swoon:

Road to Worlds made me a fan, but this series affirmed that.

Yeah, he came off as an all-round good dude in that video, though I suppose that was the point.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Disinterested posted:

Yeah, he came off as an all-round good dude in that video, though I suppose that was the point.

Plus, seriously, look at his chin.

Oh man, this 3-0. China is gonna be so happy today.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Thank god for a China-Korea final. It adds a lot of drama that a Korea-Korea final would lack.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Haha, that kha'zix mid jump reverse flash at the end

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

AHH FUGH posted:

Thank god for a China-Korea final. It adds a lot of drama that a Korea-Korea final would lack.

This. Thank god for a Chinese team that looks strong enough to do something versus Blue/White, too.

Seriously, though, from losing to LMQ to 3-0ing Najin. Night and day.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
OMG often had no more than 2-3 wards down, but that team fighting is just so on point that it didn't matter.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Gogoing ia a god. NJWS was mindfucked the entire time.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I guess everyone who thought NA was stronger than China looks silly now, hm? :v:

Bankerfox
Oct 11, 2012
Gogoing, Cool, and Lovelin are the gods of their position in China, but I always feel really bad for San. The guy is heavily underrated in his own region, his only crime is that he's not Uzi or Namei. He's an extremely good and consistent ADC in global context and would be a top one in EU or NA.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I don't remember OMG looking particularly special in groups, but that was a pretty comprehensive outplay (and complete top lane stomp) every game by OMG.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Lightning Knight posted:

So I guess everyone who thought NA was stronger than China looks silly now, hm? :v:

Not really. Wait for the finals and see how the best of China performs against Korea and then we'll see.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Krepo dropping the F bomb

Riot censors dropping the ball

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Those were the same people who, when cloud9 took one game from Samsung Blue, said "I don't think even White could beat this team, maybe NA will win Worlds afterall".

American fans are really loving stupid.

Transient People posted:

Not really. Wait for the finals and see how the best of China performs against Korea and then we'll see.

You realise NJWS are Korean right?

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

AHH FUGH posted:

Krepo dropping the F bomb

Riot censors dropping the ball

This isn't American broadcast television, why would anyone care :confused:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Woah, so apparently Kakao and Rookie are leaving KTA and they want to go to China!!

I find this really surprising, I thought the situation for pro players in China was really bad, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Sexpansion posted:

Woah, so apparently Kakao and Rookie are leaving KTA and they want to go to China!!

I find this really surprising, I thought the situation for pro players in China was really bad, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Apparently they don't need to practice as hard in China. poo poo man, Korea must be like prison time if players want to go to teams with huge language barriers just to take a break.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

seizure later posted:

Those were the same people who, when cloud9 took one game from Samsung Blue, said "I don't think even White could beat this team, maybe NA will win Worlds afterall".

American fans are really loving stupid.

You realise NJWS are Korean right?

And they looked pretty shaky all groups stage long compared to the Samsungs, especially White. I don't think anybody can argue this. Like I said, wait until China's best meets Korea's best (emphasis on best here - the third best team is considerably worse than the rest in every region except China from what we've seen. Nobody takes LMQ to consistently beat C9 and TSM, or White Shield to beat Blue and White, or SK to beat Fnatic and Alliance). Then draw conclusions from that once you have all the data.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Transient People posted:

And they looked pretty shaky all groups stage long compared to the Samsungs, especially White. I don't think anybody can argue this. Like I said, wait until China's best meets Korea's best (emphasis on best here - the third best team is considerably worse than the rest in every region except China from what we've seen. Nobody takes LMQ to consistently beat C9 and TSM, or White Shield to beat Blue and White, or SK to beat Fnatic and Alliance). Then draw conclusions from that once you have all the data.

OMG are the third seed Chinese team and they just 3-0'd NJWS. Do you think LMQ would do the same? That's the point here.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Transient People posted:

SK to beat Fnatic and Alliance). Then draw conclusions from that once you have all the data.

I think most people put SK over Fnatic prior to Svenskeren's ban. Also C9 went 1 - 2 in their 3 games against Shield sooo ? And you don't think this OMG team can take a game from White if they feed the same amount of early kills they did vs TSM in game 3 ?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Savage Cracker posted:

I think most people put SK over Fnatic prior to Svenskeren's ban. Also C9 went 1 - 2 in their 3 games against Shield sooo ? And you don't think this OMG team can take a game from White if they feed the same amount of early kills they did vs TSM in game 3 ?

We'll see. I think this OMG team is very volatile. Cloud was benched because he was loving disastrous for team morale. If OMG starts losing the first two games, they may tilt sideways with this support, at which point they might end up getting swept. It's too early to speculate because we don't know if they can hold it together in the finals...or indeed if they can get past Uzi's squad.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Transient People posted:

We'll see. I think this OMG team is very volatile. Cloud was benched because he was loving disastrous for team morale. If OMG starts losing the first two games, they may tilt sideways with this support, at which point they might end up getting swept. It's too early to speculate because we don't know if they can hold it together in the finals...or indeed if they can get past Uzi's squad.
What's more disastrous for team morale - bronze tier support play (dada) or godlike toxic support?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Transient People posted:

NJWS was good enough to beat C9 more often than not, and then got beat down by third seed Chinese team. Unless OMG was robbed seed-wise and smashes EDG/SHRC, it's looking like China has the edge for now. That said, the trend so far has definitely been China being a bit of a wildcard as far as region powerlevels. I'd hesitate to say that they're better than NA or worse. About the only definitive things I'd be willing to say is that right now EU is the bottom of the barrel and Korea is the top. We'll see in the finals if that changes.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

What's more disastrous for team morale - bronze tier support play (dada) or godlike toxic support?

The one that makes you lose the game that counts.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

NJWS was good enough to beat C9 more often than not, and then got beat down by third seed Chinese team. Unless OMG was robbed seed-wise and smashes EDG/SHRC, it's looking like China has the edge for now. That said, the trend so far has definitely been China being a bit of a wildcard as far as region powerlevels. I'd hesitate to say that they're better than NA or worse. About the only definitive things I'd be willing to say is that right now EU is the bottom of the barrel and Korea is the top. We'll see in the finals if that changes.

This is my take on it, pretty much, especially if SHRC beats OMG, doubly so if it beats them clean. I think China can absolutely hang with Korea on a good day, but more often than not it won't because it seesaws between great and terrible depending on how much their teamfighting prowess keeps up with their horrible vision control (or doesn't). Both of the remaining korean teams have absolutely ludicrous supports who litter the map with wards and erase drat near everything the enemy team puts down. This can absolutely be a backbreaker for China, but we just can't tell if it will until we see how Game Day China and Game Day Korea perform.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Transient People posted:

The one that makes you lose the game that counts.

This is my take on it, pretty much, especially if SHRC beats OMG, doubly so if it beats them clean. I think China can absolutely hang with Korea on a good day, but more often than not it won't because it seesaws between great and terrible depending on how much their teamfighting prowess keeps up with their horrible vision control (or doesn't). Both of the remaining korean teams have absolutely ludicrous supports who litter the map with wards and erase drat near everything the enemy team puts down. This can absolutely be a backbreaker for China, but we just can't tell if it will until we see how Game Day China and Game Day Korea perform.

Haven't seen the OMG games yet but I noticed the one thing China lacks is strong minion wave control when taking objectives or setting up for a fight. SHRC had also pretty poor vision and Baron bait setups. Not sure if this is a Chinese thing or just their team though.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Before everyone gets on the loving 'China is amazing!' bandwagon, let's put things into perspective.

1) Saying 'OMG is a third seed' as if it means they're the third best team shows a big misunderstanding of the strength of Chinese teams. OMG was regarded coming in to worlds as having the best top, mid and jungler in China, with a fairly good passive AD and a trash support; OMG was on a big losing streak in China before they came to worlds because their support player, Dada, was so bad.

Before they switched in Dada for Cloud, OMG was the LPL's dominant team last split, clearly the strongest team in the division. Cloud is much stronger than Dada, who is probably a worse player than some of the people ITT; Cloud had attitude issues, apparently.

To put it another way, it's like xpecial never left TSM and TSM turned up to Worlds playing Gleeb, and then switched back to xpecial.

Trying to use the argument 'this is how well the third best CN team did against Koreans!' to prove CN is strong is stupid - the lineup with Cloud, not Dada, that they used today is the best lineup in China.

This is for people who say poo poo like:

quote:

OMG are the third seed Chinese team and they just 3-0'd NJWS. Do you think LMQ would do the same? That's the point here.

You're retarded. This lineup is the best Chinese team, seeding be damned.

2) NJWS is understood to be a clear level below SSB and SSW, and NJWS qualified for Worlds on a crazy run where a lot of their players performed much better than they have before or since.

Zefa and Watch have for a long time been regarded as weaker players carried by Save. The main reason that NJWS were able to outperform SKT and KTA to get to worlds is that Watch played on a significantly higher level than he had ever done previously in a tournament; Zefa also outperformed his usual standard. It is clear from worlds that those two players have not rediscovered that form - they just played the games of their lives in regionals.

quote:

So I guess everyone who thought NA was stronger than China looks silly now, hm?

Not really. I think C9 and TSM probably could have beaten EDG, the LPL champions, and had a good 50/50 shot against SHRC. Plus, OMG has not showed anything like this level previously at this tournament, and the EDG and SHRC series was hot garbage with the amazing godlike play thrown in.

You would have to psychically somehow know that OMG was going to go back to its old roster to know that a CN team with a clear edge (a more than 55-45 matchup) against an NA team was going to turn up at this tournament.

The thing that this OMG lineup has going for it is that it has no weaknesses. Every NA and EU team is carrying at least one weak player; OMG with Cloud is carrying none.

Mark my words though. Blue or White will gently caress these guys up.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 6, 2014

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Bankerfox posted:

I love it when good OMG shows up.:allears: Also, report Watch for assisting enemy team.

This was the OMG I was expecting at Worlds all along. Glad the showed up.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
This thread goes from sucking Korea's dick so hard when claiming bottom half OGN teams would place first in NA, to back pedaling as soon as a Korean loses talking about how said Korean team isn't actually any good and the win doesn't really count.

As dumb as some of the claims have been about TSM and C9, the excuses made up for Korean losses are even better.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Korea vs Korea and China vs China!

Come on, NA you had two chances to change this and make the Round of 4 more exciting and hosed it up! TSM lost to SK Gaming and Cloud9 lost to Alliance, then lost the tie-breaker. It could have forced more interesting matches :negative:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TowerofOil posted:

This thread goes from sucking Korea's dick so hard when claiming bottom half OGN teams would place first in NA, to back pedaling as soon as a Korean loses talking about how said Korean team isn't actually any good and the win doesn't really count.

As dumb as some of the claims have been about TSM and C9, the excuses made up for Korean losses are even better.

Meanwhile Monte, king of the korean hype, was like "Man OMG trashed NJWS, go OMG I've got your t-shirt!"

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

TowerofOil posted:

Bandwagoning is what happens on forums. But most serious analysis about NWS having a good worlds run has always been conditional on the Watch + Zefa from regionals continuing their run of uncharacteristic form from regionals into finals, and this didn't happen. Monte has been saying it since before worlds: NWS can only do well if those two continue on their regionals level, because they have been mediocre for most of their careers.

Note that I didn't say anywhere that the 'win doesn't count'. The whole point of my post was to try to put the win in to the correct perspective e.g. it's not the third best Chinese team beating the 3rd best Korean team, more like the best Chinese team beating a team that is very streaky and probably on average is not the 3rd best team in Korea. (That title probably belonged to KTA, who have now broken up and would have been at worlds if Korea had the same qualification system as NA or EU).

The whole point of a post like that is to try to stop people bandwagoning really far in either direction, and get people back to what they already innately know, which is KR>CN (by still a pretty good amount), CN>NA (but not by too much) NA?>???EU???>SEA>Dark Passage.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Reminder that if Riot hadn't introduced residency requirements we would likely have Shy/KaKao/Rookie or Ryu/Piglet/Madlife in the promotion tournament

Edit: vv

archduke.iago fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 6, 2014

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Actually the confirmed players who wanted to make an NA team were Shy/Ryu/Madlife.

If the players you mentioned had come to NA I would have had a heart attack, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Disinterested posted:

If the players you mentioned had come to NA I would have had a heart attack, though.

hahahah yeah that team might do okay in NA

• Locked thread