Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Seven Deadly Sins had a great start, for the most part. The other part is totally unnecessary and blatant fanservice, from the princess's design (and other female characters it looks like from the op) to the boob-grabbing. The parts that were good were a whole lot of fun to watch, and sets up for what feels like a really fun adventure with a fun (if needlessly perverted) main character. Fun seems to be what they're going for, if that wasn't clear yet.

Who knows, maybe it'll fit into that Hunter x Hunter shaped hole in my heart.

Its not quite as inventive as HxH but its fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Seven Deadly Sins is pretty solid shounen, but it never rises past that. It only compares favorably to hxh in that it actually comes out.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ViggyNash posted:

Unfortunately for you, no one wears skimpy clothing and the skeeziest thing to happen this episode was a single pair of jiggling boobs.

I swear Imaishi and co. must have gotten therapy or something because I didn't think they'd be able to hold back this much.

lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Unfortunately for you, no one wears skimpy clothing and the skeeziest thing to happen this episode was a single pair of jiggling boobs.

I swear Imaishi and co. must have gotten therapy or something because I didn't think they'd be able to hold back this much.

Pretty sure Imaishi has zero involvement with the show so far.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Seven Deadly Sins is pretty solid shounen, but it never rises past that. It only compares favorably to hxh in that it actually comes out.

Pretty much, yeah. Seven Deadly Sins is very consistently good, but it somehow never manages to kick things up a notch and hit awesome. It's odd that way.

I'm interested to see if the animated version manages to improve on the manga in any way.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Fate/Stay Night is everything I was hoping it'd be and more. Can't wait for cool dudes to start fighting each other.

Kokkuri-san was a lot harsher and less fluffy than I was expecting. It won't fill the hole left by Nozaki-kun and Sabagebu, but it'll help.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

madmac posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Seven Deadly Sins is very consistently good, but it somehow never manages to kick things up a notch and hit awesome. It's odd that way.

I'm interested to see if the animated version manages to improve on the manga in any way.

Well, it isn't very surprising. Kongou Banchou was his debut work and it was very unconventional at times, but it was never very popular. So, seven deadly sins just about always plays it safe.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's good to know that Trigger decided to switch to a lighter, blander form of exploitation.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

But mostly it's just girls hanging out in a club. With superpowers.

This is the kind of chill premise that makes me look forward to Inou Battle. First episode was pretty good, and even came with a couple Inferno Cop and Kill la Kill references mixed in. On the other hand, I'm the protagonist is really grating on my nerves. Curious to see where it goes though.

I'm a huge loving Grisaia fan. Read all three VNs and have started the new spinoff thing. I was kind of wary of them adapting it, but while there's some sore points, overall I'm pleased with how episode 1 turned out. The pacing seems to be striking a relatively decent balance of keeping things moving without cutting too much, Yuuji looks and sounds alright, the animation has a lot of work put into it, and it's honestly neat just to see the environments from the original from different angles, since backgrounds were one thing Frontwing isn't very good at.

On the other hand, they're kind of blatantly inserting gratuitous panty shots at every opportunity, the faces feel like they're lacking expression somewhat, and it feels like they're rushing the foreshadowing a bit with the part after the credits. Good enough, though.

If there's anyone who's on the fence about it, I'll just say that the VN has been generally well-received because almost all the characters are likable and have a fair amount of depth, there's some half-decent action here and there, and some really funny comedic bits. Yuuji is also a great protagonist who manages to break a lot of generic anime MC tropes.

There's also apparently been a Chinese streaming site that posted Grisaia as being slated for 24 episodes and an OVA. Take it with a grain of salt, but if they maintain a good pace that could be enough to adapt the better part of the first VN.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Srice posted:

This is important to note. All of Trigger's skeeziness is pretty much Imaishi alone. Dude is a megaperv.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

the skeeziest thing to happen this episode was a single pair of jiggling boobs.

:mrgw:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

Shouldn't we give it a 3-episode test at the very least?
Finally saw it. Can I feel like a dumbass now? :negative:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

... boob-grabbing.

That was in the manga as well. I think that's just Japan being Japan with the whole "sexual harassment is hilarious" thing more than actual titillation, same as Dragon Ball

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Terper posted:

So there's no real good, legal way to watch Seven Deadly Sins until they've already aired all the Japanese episodes? That's a bummer.
Australia here. There's no good, legal way for us to watch a solid chunk of any given season. Thanks, CR licensing team :golfclap:

Clarste posted:

Inou-Battle actually reminds me of one of those "girls hang out in a club" shows in that it's mostly just bland and inoffensive. It looks like a harem at first glance because there's conspicuously only one male character, but he doesn't seem to be the protagonist (red-head girl narrates) and he's only comic relief so far. Then again, that's easily subject to change.

But mostly it's just girls hanging out in a club. With superpowers.
GJ-bu with superpowers? Picked up.

Bakanogami posted:

and it's honestly neat just to see the environments from the original from different angles, since backgrounds were one thing Frontwing isn't very good at.
This spun me out a bit. I always thought the door to Yuuji's room was the one to the left of the desk. I do love the remastered VN soundtrack being used though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Getting caught up with today's new shows.

Seven Deadly Sins I don't actually dig these early chapters that much, but it's a good manga and seems like a quality adaption, I'm in.

The Mermaid in my Bathtub Doesn't Know any Jokes I guess fitting any actual humor in these first four minutes is out of the question when they've got all this super-important backstory to cover, but OK dude, I'll spare you another four minutes of my life next week to prove me wrong.

Trigger's Got Bills to Pay, Man. I'm a little torn on this one. The first episode was pretty funny and well animated and I'm sure Trigger appreciates all the pity views, I'm just not sure how long the premise can sustain itself before getting boring. Three episode test.

Not bad, considering what a weak start this season is off to overall. Rage of Bahamut is getting a lot of praise, I really need to dig it up soon.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

That was in the manga as well. I think that's just Japan being Japan with the whole "sexual harassment is hilarious" thing more than actual titillation, same as Dragon Ball

Wait, are you serious?

That's... disturbing.

Srice posted:

I am sure that one day I will post with my facts straight. One day...

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Magic Kaitou kind of feels like Conan except without him turning into a kid, which I mean was exactly what I was expecting. The noses were a little distracting from time to time, and the whole thing just felt really 90s. Overall it was pretty bland, and unless it's got some killer hook coming in the next two episodes, I'll probably just forget to watch it one week and then it'll fade from memory.

Gundam Reconguista in G I posted my thoughts on the first two episodes in the thread for the show, but I'm on board for at least a couple more episodes. The mecha designs are really neat, and I was drawn in by the description in the OP that Tomino wanted to make a more "feminist" show. Two episodes in and it's not yet meeting that expectation.

Cross Ange hahahaha no I didn't even give it one episode after that news story. Sorry, it looks like Ranma 1/2 Strike Witches (Ore Twintails) is my last chance for a cool mecha show with a (sort of, better than nothing) female protagonist.

Also, whatever the name of that I don't understand what my Husband is talking about show, I was told by a friend who peeped the first episode that it wasn't nearly as good as Insufficient Direction, so I've decided to skip that. Specifically that it wasn't really as true to life.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
The Fruit of Grisala- Fanservice harem show with a terrorist twist? I watched it after Cross Ange so buy comparison, anything might be good. The characters are mildly interesting now, but we'll see if they devolve into stereotypes as quickly as I suspect. Probably will drop.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san- got a Milk-chan vibe from this, but there wasn't any coherence to back it up. Got bored and turned it off halfway.

Celestial Method - got a Glasslip vibe from this, the episode didn't seem to go anywhere so turned it off as well. Overwhelming reviews could get me back in but seems boring.

When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace - This has potential. It could become a bad harem show, but it could be something great as well. It's funny, the animation of the powers are pretty good, and it seems to smartly mock the conventions of the genre. Pick this one up.

Potsticker posted:

Also, whatever the name of that I don't understand what my Husband is talking about show, I was told by a friend who peeped the first episode that it wasn't nearly as good as Insufficient Direction, so I've decided to skip that. Specifically that it wasn't really as true to life.
It's a three minute run time, so you won't lose much checking it out. I found it really funny.

Ulta fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 7, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Wait, are you serious?

That's... disturbing.

Have you ever read Dragon Ball*? Bulma basically exists to be sexually harassed by the gang for laughs. They steal her clothes when she's in the shower and force her to wear a playboy bunny outfit, child Goku takes her clothes off while she sleeps because lol, there's a gag where Goku needs to see an invisible kung fu enemy so they get Master Roshi and Bulma together and rip Bulma's shirt off in front of him so nose blood sprays on the invisible guy and Goku can see him. Hilarious. Yes, I think it's just Japan being sexist unfortunately. You can't really claim Dragon Ball is particularly maladjusted compared to normal social mores in Japan

*I don't know what it's like in the anime, I've never watched much of DBZ.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 7, 2014

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Have you ever read Dragon Ball*? Bulma basically exists to be sexually harassed by the gang for laughs. They steal her clothes when she's in the shower and force her to wear a playboy bunny outfit, child Goku takes her clothes off while she sleeps because lol, there's a gag where Goku needs to see an invisible kung fu enemy so they get Master Roshi and Bulma together and rip Bulma's shirt off in front of him so nose blood sprays on the invisible guy and Goku can see him. Hilarious. Yes, I think it's just Japan being sexist unfortunately. You can't really claim Dragon Ball is particularly maladjusted compared to normal social mores in Japan

There's also Goku's *pat pat*, which was ridiculous to me even as a kid.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

icantfindaname posted:

Almost non existent in Z as far as I can recall, unless there were scenes of it they cut from American broadcasts. She's a fairly minor character by then.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ulta posted:

The Fruit of Grisala- Fanservice harem show with a terrorist twist? I watched it after Cross Ange so buy comparison, anything might be good. The characters are mildly interesting now, but we'll see if they devolve into stereotypes as quickly as I suspect. Probably will drop.

The thing with Grisaia is that they don't really devolve into stereotypes but start as ultra extreme stereotypes and evolve into deeper characters. The stereotypes are super thick but are tongue in cheek and played for laughs knowing how ridiculous they are, and then eventually makes you aware of how dysfunctional these people really are and why they're incapable of operating in normal society. The characterization was actually surprisingly well done in the original VN but I don't expect that to show through as much in the VN, especially when they somehow inserted a lot MORE fan service than originally existed in a freaking eroge.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Bakanogami posted:

and it feels like they're rushing the foreshadowing a bit with the part after the credits.
Speaking of foreshadowing (VN spoilers): Sachi never made those explosives, right? I don't remember her even touching explosives, let alone making them, and she certainly wasn't the one to use them.

HiveCommander posted:

This spun me out a bit. I always thought the door to Yuuji's room was the one to the left of the desk.
Yeah, that confused me a little too. Pretty cool tidbit to know though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

It's less realistic when compared to the daily life of one of Japan's most prolific otaku whose lifestyle even normal people would envy in that the guy is a regular otaku who operates a blog for income. The jokes are 100% more accessible though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Speaking of foreshadowing (VN spoilers): Sachi never made those explosives, right? I don't remember her even touching explosives, let alone making them, and she certainly wasn't the one to use them.

Yeah, that confused me a little too. Pretty cool tidbit to know though.

She did use some explosives in her route, however my vague memories say she did it because of something that hasn't happened yet so unless they change around details, it was mostly just to foreshadow later events and show that she's messed up too. The Amane picking his door thing is weird too, since she definitely has access to a key to his room in the VN.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Shingeki no Bahamut was pretty sweet. Massive budget, lots of action, rear end in a top hat main character, I liked it quite a bit.

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

Rage of Bahamut - The action scenes had almost the best animation this season. Unlimited Blade Works is the only thing with a bigger budget than this, but the card game this anime is based on is so lucrative that I was pleasantly shocked by the animation quality. The quality of the whole thing in general was shocking. It's such a nice breath of fresh air to have an old school adventure anime with a basic plot, a non-high school protagonist, and no over-written back story. As long as they leave out the second or third episode info dumps that fantasy anime too often have, I expect it to be fun, and it's definitely the best thing so far this season. Everything else is bad, disappointing, or a second season, which brings me to

Cross Ange - I was way too naive in thinking that this was going to be just another bad anime. If Valvrave and Guilty Crown could have gotten worse, it would have been this. This right here is your brilliant train wreck of the season, the best one I can remember. It's certainly not like Valvrave where you have to wait six episodes for the progression of edginess bury itself in a landslide of cliches. It starts out face down in a pile of its own excrement, leaving you absolutely baffled by whether or not the creators were aware of how campy they were making it. Everywhere you can possibly mess up while writing an anime, Cross Ange glamorously and fantastically fails, and I am eagerly awaiting episode two.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Garo: Honoo no Kokuin: Spanish Inquisition meets Knights of the Zodiac? Sold. :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Can anyone give me the Cole's Notes on what Valvrave is and why it's a train wreck?

Wolfman Nards posted:

Cross Ange - I was way too naive in thinking that this was going to be just another bad anime. If Valvrave and Guilty Crown could have gotten worse, it would have been this. This right here is your brilliant train wreck of the season, the best one I can remember. It's certainly not like Valvrave where you have to wait six episodes for the progression of edginess bury itself in a landslide of cliches. It starts out face down in a pile of its own excrement, leaving you absolutely baffled by whether or not the creators were aware of how campy they were making it. Everywhere you can possibly mess up while writing an anime, Cross Ange glamorously and fantastically fails, and I am eagerly awaiting episode two.

The clincher is the NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z at the end of the episode. I knew about everything that came before the credits, but I was not prepared for the preview. There are really no words for it.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 7, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

It's less realistic when compared to the daily life of one of Japan's most prolific otaku whose lifestyle even normal people would envy in that the guy is a regular otaku who operates a blog for income. The jokes are 100% more accessible though.

I'm just saying I can identify with someone standing in front of a mirrored surface doing poses with a Faiz Belt. <:downs:/

Actually, I just wanted to talk up Insufficient Direction because it's really good. :shrug:

Also, I just saw the first episode of Attack on Bahamut because of all the praise here and it really was really good. Shockingly so. I know pretty much nothing about the card game, but the show is just beautifully animated and the main character is pretty likable. The other guy, who my friend and I are referring to as "Horse Dandy" is pretty great too and I hope he sticks around. The demon woman's fighting form is kind of terrible, but seeing as she was doing pretty much all the heavy lifting in the fight and is the one directing the plot along, I can forgive it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Is that Bahamut show on any legal sites? Couldn't see it on Crunchyroll.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

Can anyone give me the Cole's Notes on what Valvrave is and why it's a train wreck?

The first season of Valvrave was fast paced and delighted in stuffing way too many things into the show. It was also grotesquely anime, with idols and creepy computer ladies and high school bullshit. It actually had an interesting thing going by mixing vampire mythos with mass media politics, but it doesn't deliver and by the the second season it just got boring. There's an infamous scene where the protagonist is mind controlled by the titular robot into raping another major character, and while it was meant to be horrifying it could have been handled much better for the same effect.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

Is that Bahamut show on any legal sites? Couldn't see it on Crunchyroll.

Funimation got it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

But funimation's website sucks?!

thanks

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey, I've seen Bahamut's opening scene before...

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Was Cross Ange the show everyone was laughing at a whiles back for the 'pilot getting out of mecha and shooting alongside giant mecha'? Or was there something stupid as gently caress I managed to avoid in the interim and now this is just how things work?

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

The clincher is the NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z at the end of the episode. I knew about everything that came before the credits, but I was not prepared for the preview. There are really no words for it.

That would ruin all the fun if it turned out to be self-aware.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

kater posted:

Was Cross Ange the show everyone was laughing at a whiles back for the 'pilot getting out of mecha and shooting alongside giant mecha'? Or was there something stupid as gently caress I managed to avoid in the interim and now this is just how things work?

Yeah, it was that one. The robot has a big hood ornament on the helmet, too. It looked pretty hilarious.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Update: Card Game anime is surprisingly pretty drat good.

There's a decent chance it'll gently caress it up when it comes to actually having a plot but till then woo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I thought the first season of Wixoss was decent too, it's nice to see more people like it.

• Locked thread