Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

She could be feeling any number of emotions or feelings in that picture. There is no way to know whether historia is complicit, coerced, or simply confused by what is about to happen, based on that one frame.

The ambiguity is pretty much the entire reason it's the last page of the chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Was it ever explicitly a thing that you need direct sunlight in order to change? Eren couldn't change when he was in the well but he could as soon as he was outside of the well and reached for a spoon in direct sunlight. When they tried to lead anna underground she stopped and wouldn't go one inch into shadow. The wall titans aren't allowed to have sunlight on them. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because there's this constant sunlight based requirement for turning into a titan that nobody in the anime/manga has noticed, dismissed, commented on or experimented on or anything.

So when eren is chained up underground I can't even begin to feel like he's threatened in the way you're talking about because there's no sunlight and nobody has ever changed in the dark as far as I know. I mean they might torture him but nobody is going to change into a titan.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Was it ever explicitly a thing that you need direct sunlight in order to change? Eren couldn't change when he was in the well but he could as soon as he was outside of the well and reached for a spoon in direct sunlight. When they tried to lead anna underground she stopped and wouldn't go one inch into shadow. The wall titans aren't allowed to have sunlight on them. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because there's this constant sunlight based requirement for turning into a titan that nobody in the anime/manga has noticed, dismissed, commented on or experimented on or anything.

So when eren is chained up underground I can't even begin to feel like he's threatened in the way you're talking about because there's no sunlight and nobody has ever changed in the dark as far as I know. I mean they might torture him but nobody is going to change into a titan.
I believe so far they have speculated that the Titans can "store" sunlight to a point and that the reason most don't change when underground or in tight quarters is because of the space issue.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

I think the sunlight requirement has either been mention in the manga or in this thread because I definitely remember someone pointing out that the Titans are only really active during the day. Also I'm hoping that this civil war arc is wrapping up soon because I've found it extremely boring compared to the war against the Titans.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't mean i gathered his beliefs based on reading the chapter. I recall he had some messed up statements about how Japan liberated China and Korea, or something like that. I mean, this chapter was perfectly justified, I just hope it doesn't become his personal political belief soapbox down the road or anything.

Keep in mind that's Japan's "official" stand on those things, he didn't go out of his way to think that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
True, I know very little about Japanese political history honestly, just that they denied doing anything wrong and never committed atrocities etc.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the last titan fight at night? The one where Coco shows up and talks to the guy and takes his gear?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Squallege posted:

Wasn't the last titan fight at night? The one where Coco shows up and talks to the guy and takes his gear?

Yes, and it was explicitly described as being out of the norm. Remember Hanji's experiments with Sawney and Bean? Those were used to plotdump on us that, among other things, Titans are less energetic at night/in the dark in normal circumstances.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

But they were the kind of titans who never stop being titans, or we don't know anything about monkey titan so if he's a shifter he could have been in money form for days. I believe that we've never seen a shifter change in anything less than broad daylight.

Oh wait did Ymir change at night? When the castle outside one of the safer walls was attacked?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Krinkle posted:

But they were the kind of titans who never stop being titans, or we don't know anything about monkey titan so if he's a shifter he could have been in money form for days. I believe that we've never seen a shifter change in anything less than broad daylight.

Oh wait did Ymir change at night? When the castle outside one of the safer walls was attacked?

No, the sun just came up. Eren transformed underground but that's about the only time we've seen someone transform without direct sunlight.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 12, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

No, the sun just came up. Eren transformed underground but that's about the only time we've seen someone transform without direct sunlight.

That's actually a pretty important reminder for the situation at hand.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Or it could mean that when the Command rests, so do the titans he or she controls.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

visceril posted:

Or it could mean that when the Command rests, so do the titans he or she controls.

But I think they used a tent or something to cover up the titans and they got slowed down. That's a really cool theory though and would explain why the monkey titan dudes were able to move at night.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I thought the implication was that Titans get their energy from photosynthesis. They don't have digestive systems, and they only operate under sunlight, so it's the obvious conclusion.

visceril posted:

I think it's more like, if the the Command wants the titans to go, they go. The Beast Titan mostly sat back and watched the action during that battle and only went on the offensive when the other titans were killed. Even if the titans do get their energy from the sun, they must build up reserves which allowed them to operate at night. Or maybe the Ragako titans are physically different from regular titans. If Monkey Trouble can turn people into titans, who says he can't determine what characteristics those titans have?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I don't think Historia is actually about to eat Eren; I think she's unbound because her father is trying to talk her into joining his side. I'm pretty sure Hange speculated that Reiss wanted to eat Eren himself because he was already a titan shifter.

Petiso posted:

Keep in mind that's Japan's "official" stand on those things, he didn't go out of his way to think that.

That's not actually the official Japanese government stance (you're probably thinking of Turkey), but it does seem to be more or less what the current Prime Minister believes, unfortunately.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 3, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

That's not actually the official Japanese government stance (you're probably thinking of Turkey), but it does seem to be more or less what the current Prime Minister believes, unfortunately.

It's more there is a culture of historical revisionism to downplay their more despicable actions in China and Korea. Much like in the southern united states there is the growing trend of labeling the civil war as "Not about slavery".

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Attack on Titan 62 will be out later today or tomorrow. Finally, plotline resolution!

Eren finally realizes the awful truth.

And we all knew it was coming. But it's worse than we thought. Eren devoured his father, to gain the ability to Titan-shift. He remembers everything. http://i.imgur.com/Fq9i11N.jpg

That's not the bombshell though.
Rod Reiss had five legitimate children. Some of them very much still children.

and all of them were murdered.

By Grisha. :psyduck:

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 6, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Get owned Grisha.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

And then Historia was a titan.

.........WHAT.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

O_O

I shouldn't have read the drat spoilers.

But still now I'm hyped. So much for being slow, now we have giant plot developments.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, this chapter is going to rule.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Attack on Titan 62 will be out later today or tomorrow.

It's Wednesday 6pm central time.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Now I want to click those black bars. I must be strong!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

PaganGoatPants posted:

Now I want to click those black bars. I must be strong!

My resolve is crumbling. I MUST KNOW

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Attack on Titan 62 will be out later today or tomorrow. Finally, plotline resolution!

And we all knew it was coming. But it's worse than we thought. Eren devoured his father, to gain the ability to Titan-shift. He remembers everything. http://i.imgur.com/Fq9i11N.jpg

:vince:

I shouldnt have clicked those.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is this what plot development is? It's been a long time, old friend.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What. WHAT. WHAT!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
There seems to be a text-only translation here, but I ain't reading it. I'm holding out for scanlations.

the actual goku
Oct 2, 2014
I really liked the AoT anime. Is the manga worth picking up? I read that it gets dumb later.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

the actual goku posted:

I really liked the AoT anime. Is the manga worth picking up? I read that it gets dumb later.

If you liked the anime you're probably going to like the manga, so I'd say give it a shot.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Also this thread is about to get very dangerous for spoilers. Flip through a copy of the manga at your local bookstore, and see if the art works for you! The manga is vastly further along the anime, and has a great many fantastic twists and turns.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

the actual goku posted:

Stops being about titans and starts being about politics

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Before it settles into politics, though, it gets really loving crazy and kinda awesome.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

AfterFather posted:

:vince:

I shouldnt have clicked those.

Yeah I really regret clicking on the spoilers as well. It's just one holy poo poo moment after another.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Kegslayer posted:

Yeah I really regret clicking on the spoilers as well. It's just one holy poo poo moment after another.

Don't worry. It's not over yet. There is still a lot in the chapter to up the holy poo poo quotient I avoided. The beginning and middle parts of the chapter are lesser, but equally important holy shits while the last panels are the specific

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 7, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
Wow. Looking forward to some revelations.

(I read spoilers because, for me, the fun is in seeing how things play out.)

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
those spoilers are terrible why do I keep reading this garbage please send help

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

those spoilers are terrible why do I keep reading this garbage please send help

*gives help* Here read some Berserk.
EDIT: Nevermind

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 9, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Berserk is licensed, might want to edit that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

RatHat posted:

Berserk is licensed, might want to edit that out.

And so is AOT but we still link to the chapters.