Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

inflatablefish posted:

Probably not, to be honest. We'll go into space for the same reason humans have ever gone anywhere - competition for resources. The aliens we'll meet will be just as expansionist as we are.

Sure, sooner or later we might meet a race of aliens who were content to colonise a couple of planets and then settle down to ponder philosophy and/or play Warcraft... but that'll make us the evil conquering invaders.

OK serious talk:

For humans, colonising planets is extremely unlikely. For us to be able to live on another world we would either have to change that world entire, which is unfeasible, or change ourselves so much the inhabitants would probably not see themselves as the same race any more. Even if we are willing to make that change, it seems unlikely that we would, since it is far more universal to change ourselves so that we can more easily live in space; we don't have to deal with pesky gravity wells there. It seems far more likely that we will be building space habitats and living there.

Once you are in space and have the logistics and infrastructure in place to exploit resources that are floating around in space, those resources are super-abundant. There is more metal in one metal-rich near-Earth asteroid than the sum total of metal that humanity has extracted from the Earth. There are literally millions of asteroids in our current solar system. That's going to last humanity a really long time. With the astronomical scales involved and the sheer number of star systems, competition for resources is highly unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Poor Fermi. A vastly important scientific genius who helped shape the modern era and literally gave his life for science -- he died at 53, from cancer caused by his exposure to radiation in experiments -- and all we remember him for is a light-hearted lunch conversation.

:science: Fermi never intended his 'paradox' to be any sort of scientific statement. More than anything else, it's a statement about how much we assume.

Broadly speaking, the idea that "Where are they?" implies "They're not out there" hinges on seven assumptions:
1. We recognize alien life and its activity when seen.
2. Access to our region of space is unrestricted.
3. They are not, in fact, already here, and we're just not being told.
4. That our region of space is interesting enough to attract attention/colonization.
5. That faster-than-light travel is possible.
6. That we've been looking when they've been doing something we could detect.
7. That they want to do visible things, and wouldn't just stay at home.

Given the ludicrous immensity of the universe, it is overwhelmingly likely that they're out there. As to why we're not already part of some vast galactic polity, all we can do is shrug. We know so little... We can't even begin to make a guess as to whether they ever will (or already have) drop by. After all, just about anything could be going on out there.

The solar system is moving through space at around 1.8 million miles an hour, a reasonable fraction (~1/400th) of light-speed. Who the gently caress could possibly know what happens next?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ghostwoods posted:

5. That faster-than-light travel is possible.

That assumption is not made. The argument is that an alien culture that achieves space travel and gets off their home world has protection from extinction events by redundancy; even destroying their home world, or half their space-based stuff, is not going to kill them as a species. So, if they procreate and spread like life on Earth does, they will eventually go to other systems - not faster-than-light, but at sub-light speeds - and given the age of the galaxy (and the age of many of the stars in it), if such cultures existed they would have spread to everywhere in the galaxy by now, even at sub-light speeds.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

pun pundit posted:

That assumption is not made. The argument is that an alien culture that achieves space travel and gets off their home world has protection from extinction events by redundancy; even destroying their home world, or half their space-based stuff, is not going to kill them as a species. So, if they procreate and spread like life on Earth does, they will eventually go to other systems - not faster-than-light, but at sub-light speeds - and given the age of the galaxy (and the age of many of the stars in it), if such cultures existed they would have spread to everywhere in the galaxy by now, even at sub-light speeds.

That only holds true for this galaxy, and perhaps the rest of the Virgo supercluster -- greatly decreasing the pool of potential colonist life-forms we're talking about. Also, note the "if they procreate and spread like life on Earth does", which is of course a massive assumption.

The Milky Way is 120,000 light-years across, more or less. A colonist species could easily cross it in the time the galaxy has been around. But that's very different to actually hitting the solar system (and deciding Earth is the best bet for a take-over). There are up to 400 billion stars to pick from. It wouldn't be possible to route between them all in serial in galactic life-time so far. So you'd need a radiating species, and to have a chance, it would have to be one that replicated quickly enough to send fractional populations in all directions, but still have each fraction strong enough to build up quickly enough to be able to split again every new star. Once again, we very rapidly get bogged down in whole rafts of massive assumption. FTL would make the process of colonizing an entire galaxy far more plausible.

Besides, saying that there are certain situations where we wouldn't need to assume FTL for "local" colonist species hardly invalidates any of the other assumptions.

(Total aside: at 50mph, it would take 160 trillion years to drive from one edge of the galaxy to the other. Without toilet breaks. That's some serious trucking.)

Alexey
Feb 15, 2012

Speedball posted:

Oh my GOD did he tell you the baroness story? It’s not true! Don’t listen to him!
Is it just a story, or is she so embarrassed she’ll never admit it’s true? You’ll never know! Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!
Of course it isn't true, daughter of a baroness isn't a princess! Her mother is actually a queen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the various people driving the SHIV piping in on the mission. It's a neat device for bringing anyone into the story, and I hope you keep using it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ghostwoods posted:

That only holds true for this galaxy, and perhaps the rest of the Virgo supercluster -- greatly decreasing the pool of potential colonist life-forms we're talking about. Also, note the "if they procreate and spread like life on Earth does", which is of course a massive assumption.

The Milky Way is 120,000 light-years across, more or less. A colonist species could easily cross it in the time the galaxy has been around. But that's very different to actually hitting the solar system (and deciding Earth is the best bet for a take-over). There are up to 400 billion stars to pick from. It wouldn't be possible to route between them all in serial in galactic life-time so far.

You're underestimating exponential growth. Say you have a species that grows in population to "fill" its available area, and when the area is filled, it radiates outwards to find new planets. Say the species' population grows at a rate of .1% per year, and they can fit 100 billion sophonts on a world. They start from a population of 100. So the population after year t is given as p = 100 * e^.001t. After 10,000 years, they'd have a population of about 2 billion; after 13,000 years it's 44 billion; after 14,000 years it's 120 billion and we assume they've started colonizing another planet. Now...after 15,000 years it's over 300 billion (3 planets' worth), after 16,000 years it's over 800 billion, and at 17,000 years it's 2.4 trillion. At 20,000 years it's 48 trillion, and each new planet is only lasting 3 years before it's full.

Of course this is a grossly simplistic growth model. But the fact is that if you have a species that's expanding to fill available planets, then the rate of expansion is going to increase as the population increases. It's not going to exceed lightspeed, but it won't take long (on galactic timescales) until the species' propagation rate is a not-entirely-trivial fraction of lightspeed.

But of course this doesn't rule out having a species that e.g. prefers gas giants (or the moons thereof) over something like Earth, or only goes to binary star systems, or converts the entire mass of solar systems into massive habitat structures.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Alexey posted:

Of course it isn't true, daughter of a baroness isn't a princess! Her mother is actually a queen.

He's kind of a queen, too, but that's none of my business. =3

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The only aliens mankind will ever meet will be the ones mankind itself makes. Whether they are friendly or not is on our heads.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ratoslov posted:

The only aliens mankind will ever meet will be the ones mankind itself makes. Whether they are friendly or not is on our heads.

We must become the Flying Spaghetti Monster the universe never needed.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

SpookyLizard posted:

I'm picturing Van Doorn trying to control six shivs with all of his limbs. Or using his mind. They're powered by his speech and, bragging, and blowhardiness. They're powered by the stories of men he's killed.

And they can Gattai to form something akin to Liberty Prime.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

BattleCattle posted:

And they can Gattai to form something akin to Liberty Prime.

The Ethereals better hope they aren't Communists. Based on the Ethereals' MO, though, they're much closer to Fascists, but it wouldn't be in-character for Van Doorn and/or a Liberty-Prime-SHIVoltron to be able to make any sort of distinction between the two.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I mentioned back in the Civ V/Metal Gear thread I'm a Yu-gi-oh fanatic. Well in addition to all the other crap going on in my life right now I managed to sample the latest Yu-Gi-Oh Game for the 3DS, "Duel Carnival."

Christ.

Konami put some actual effort into the previous one a few years ago. It was actually pretty drat great, good story mode, good sense of progression for how you unlocked new cards and card packs, you were encouraged to try a bit of everything on your path because you wouldn't get access to all the shiny new new stuff right out of the gate; so even for newbies you were eased into the process, while longtime YGO veterans were similarly challenged to try to win without using their preferred decks. Hell, even the story made a semblence of sense, at least for a Yu-Gi-Oh story. There was the Card Games On Motorcycles mode which was actually a lot more fleshed-out than you'd think as it came with a lot more interesting challenges for managing spell resources, and even a racing minigame where you raced your card-game-playing motorcycle without actually playing card games. There was even a sophisticated deck analyzer program that would examine the structure and theme of your deck and give you tips on potential weaknesses it would have. In short it was something that gave you a lot of incentive to keep coming back to, I musta sunk hundreds of hours into the thing on lonely nights out in the middle of nowhere.

There is no effort put into Duel Carnival. At all. Oh, sure it has all the new cards --and I've never quite been a fan of Xyz cards, they're just plain ghetto compared to Synchros -- but in Free Mode every single goddamn card in existence is already unlocked. The story mode is also practically nonexistant too. There are no more points after a duel, no incentive to try out new things or to pull off a difficult rare summon just for the challenge of it to get that tick marked off on your box (and more points in the future for having completed more challenges total). Ugh. UGGGH. They didn't bother to advertise this one and I see why.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, I fell for it too. I keep chasing the dragon of CCG video games hoping to find another gem like the GB Pokemon, and nothing really matches up.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The only Yu-Gi-Oh video games I really liked besides the Gamecube and PS2 ones that weren't actually card games were the Tag Force games, which had the downside of having to deal with stupid partners, but otherwise were all solid.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Senerio posted:

The only Yu-Gi-Oh video games I really liked besides the Gamecube and PS2 ones that weren't actually card games were the Tag Force games, which had the downside of having to deal with stupid partners, but otherwise were all solid.

Oh, yeah, those were pretty good too!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Speedball posted:

Oh, yeah, those were pretty good too!

Nowadays, there's no real point in doing the video games anyway, as all your yugioh needs can be dealt with using Dueling Network/DevPro/YGOPro. It's how I test my decks.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Speedball posted:

They didn't bother to release a cart for this one and I see why.

Fixed for apparent truth. I saw it being hawked in eShop as "Nintendo 3DS Download Only" when I went to buy Smash, and my first reaction was "is this how much Konami has cheaped out on the US market?"

Also, we need a new goddamn Dungeon Dice Monsters. I'm puzzled as to how rolling dice would be logistically balanced against playing cards on motorcycles/in space/whatever the new show does as its "battlefield" gimmick, but the original GBA cart had a good balance of available monsters and trinkets (if a dated roster even at release time), and building your battlefield from your unfolded dice put a fun spin on the "move pieces next to each other, make them numberfight" gameplay.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Man, it's been over a week since the last update, that is OOC for Speedball. You okay buddy?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Man, it's been over a week since the last update, that is OOC for Speedball. You okay buddy?

Combination of a bunch of tests and Real Life paperwork intruding on making funny LPs, then I spent the weekend collaborating with a friend on a "Lethal Weapon but with Magic" fiction project.

But just so you know I'm booting up XCOM right now so we can soon see Watkins, Princess, Eva, Hugo, Zhang and maybe even No-Scope Zinchenko take down an alien battlecruiser, WITHOUT cyborgs.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, good, this LP isn't dead. I was afraid for a while there.

I went and booted up the game for the first time in a while and I still suck rear end. I'm just not patient enough to put everyone on overwatch every single turn.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

ViggyNash posted:

Oh, good, this LP isn't dead. I was afraid for a while there.

I went and booted up the game for the first time in a while and I still suck rear end. I'm just not patient enough to put everyone on overwatch every single turn.

It's not so much that, it's just a matter of advancing carefully in a way that ensures a minimum of living aliens at the end of your turn.

Also always remember you're not playing on ironman and should feel free to drop a save at the start of missions and try different things if everything goes to poo poo (which it will).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Combination of a bunch of tests and Real Life paperwork intruding on making funny LPs, then I spent the weekend collaborating with a friend on a "Lethal Weapon but with Magic" fiction project.

But just so you know I'm booting up XCOM right now so we can soon see Watkins, Princess, Eva, Hugo, Zhang and maybe even No-Scope Zinchenko take down an alien battlecruiser, WITHOUT cyborgs.

How old does an Elf have to be, to be too old for this poo poo?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Section Z posted:

How old does an Elf have to be, to be too old for this poo poo?

Quoth Yahtzee: "elves and dwarves, elves and dwarves, elves and MOTHERFUCKING dwarves." Nope, they're not in it. Well, maybe, but everyone's just a transhuman if they don't already look human.

People in this setting only retire once they are completely DONE with their job, since foutain-of-youth-water is one of the controlled resources of the setting. People don't really save up for retirement, they save up for rejuvenation followed by a lengthy vacation. They have cars and modern clothing and stuff, but access to what we would certainly call magic. (People still die a lot from all sorts of reasons, including disease and violence, though, especially magical disease and magical violence, so folks over a hundred are rare). I suppose the closest analogue to what I'm going for is Final Fantasy 7 with less cyberpunk; it's science fiction with wizardry instead of cyborgs and hackers. Clarke's Third Law and all that. Especially since, like my other main project, it's really 2000 years in the future.

ANYWAY: Still taking screenshots of aliens being lasered while a mile over Beijing.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 13, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Speedball posted:

Quoth Yahtzee: "elves and dwarves, elves and dwarves, elves and MOTHERFUCKING dwarves." Nope, they're not in it. Well, maybe, but everyone's just a transhuman if they don't already look human.

People in this setting only retire once they are completely DONE with their job, since foutain-of-youth-water is one of the controlled resources of the setting. People don't really save up for retirement, they save up for rejuvenation followed by a lengthy vacation. They have cars and modern clothing and stuff, but access to what we would certainly call magic. (People still die a lot from all sorts of reasons, including disease and violence, though, especially magical disease and magical violence, so folks over a hundred are rare). I suppose the closest analogue to what I'm going for is Final Fantasy 7 with less cyberpunk; it's science fiction with wizardry instead of cyborgs and hackers. Clarke's Third Law and all that. Especially since, like my other main project, it's really 2000 years in the future.

ANYWAY: Still taking screenshots of aliens being lasered while a mile over Beijing.

That sounds pretty cool I have to say, certainly an original twist if anything.
Closest I can think of that's similar is the Quantum Gravity series by Justina Robson which deals with magic and technology in the same world, good series of books by the way.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Speedball posted:

gently caress THAT ONE CYBERDISK IN THE rear end!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Considering what researching it unlocks, I'm very happy it's there!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Feinne posted:

It's not so much that, it's just a matter of advancing carefully in a way that ensures a minimum of living aliens at the end of your turn.

Also always remember you're not playing on ironman and should feel free to drop a save at the start of missions and try different things if everything goes to poo poo (which it will).

I messed up in a mission and moved my sniper too far ahead too fast, so she got flanked and killed in one hit. So I reload, jump in the mission again, and take care to put all of my guys behind good cover, facing the right way. I end my turn

Sectoid walks into view, shoots through 2 cars, and kill a guy. :suicide:

This happened on the second mission of the game btw. I really, really hate this game sometimes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game got a lot easier for me when I started an LP of it. Somehow having to take screenshots every turn means that I think everything through.

EDIT: Need to take another break from XCOM, but it's going well. Next update will probably be tomorrow. So: Who do you think should become IMMORTAL!?

Speedball fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 13, 2014

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Speedball posted:

Considering what researching it unlocks, I'm very happy it's there!

I wasn't. So, I've been playing along with the LP, and I happened to get that mission a little earlier, right? I had everyone stacked up along the left and right sides of the door, overwatch, ready to breach the left door. When I opened the door, the Cyberdisk immediately died, the two front-most people died from the explosion, and then I had to walk ALL the way around to the other door.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

This game got a lot easier for me when I started an LP of it. Somehow having to take screenshots every turn means that I think everything through.

EDIT: Need to take another break from XCOM, but it's going well. Next update will probably be tomorrow. So: Who do you think should become IMMORTAL!?

I've tried being more patient, but the RNG really likes to gently caress me over a lot.

As for the question: Bar-Lev, by turning her into a Gundam. She's halfway there anyway.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

I've tried being more patient, but the RNG really likes to gently caress me over a lot.

As for the question: Bar-Lev, by turning her into a Gundam. She's halfway there anyway.

I'll take this as a vote to research UFO Power Sources! (that's how you upgrade the suit)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Again there is a technical term for that enemy, it is the Douchedisk and for the purposes of exactness when referring to that specific enemy on that specific map you should use that term.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Incidentally, I do love the final Slingshot mission, just because while fighting aliens is cool, fighting aliens on their own ship while it's still flying over Beijing, with the wind whipping by and the city lights visible through the superstructure, is one of the coolest missions in the entire game.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Cooked Auto posted:

That sounds pretty cool I have to say, certainly an original twist if anything.
Closest I can think of that's similar is the Quantum Gravity series by Justina Robson which deals with magic and technology in the same world, good series of books by the way.

One of the few series of books I reread regularly.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Feinne posted:

Again there is a technical term for that enemy, it is the Douchedisk and for the purposes of exactness when referring to that specific enemy on that specific map you should use that term.

Yeah when I first saw it, I was like "oh what's that? It has a lotta hitpoints" and it just kinda floated next to some dudes. I was preoccupied with other enemies so I ignored it, mostly letting a few dudes take potshots at it. "Oh so is it like a support enemy? Why does it open up? Will it serve as their shield or recover their HP or something?" and then the next turn it floated close enough to switch into murder mode and then put my heavy from full health to 1 HP. That prompted me to scream "OH IT MURDERS MY poo poo IS WHAT IT DOES" at my monitor while making an assault shoot it death. Then I discovered that it explodes when it dies. It took out three of my guys with it.

>ESCAPE

>LOAD GAME

I didn't realize that Slingshot was the DLC mission so I did it with a mostly fresh squad. It was rough.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Speedball posted:

IMMORTALITY!?

Van Doorn, as he clearly is blessed by multiple gods and lp'ers.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I'm starting to think the mission went worse than expected.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MightyPretenders posted:

I'm starting to think the mission went worse than expected.

Mission suspended as Watkins, Hilda, Hugo and Bar-Lev are busy playing as Athena the Gladiator, Nisha the Lawbringer, Claptrap the Fragtrap and Wilhem the Enforcer. Respectively.

...Van Doorn is attempting to get Gearbox to make Torgue a playable character.

I have most of tomorrow off though, so I can totally update the LP. In my pajamas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
Torgue, if playable, would be the best character ever.

Hell, you could probably make a game of 'important' NPC's. Zed, Torgue, Moxie and Marcus.

Looking forward to the next update, I totally support Gundaming someone.

• Locked thread