Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Maybe it's because you get him so late in the game, and at this point I was rushing to finish the game as soon as possible, but I had no idea that all of Black's skills are available from the start. I never even thought to try a stinger move or a cyclone! They look extremely useful too.

For some reason, I constantly used the bomb power as a secondary while I had the hand/sword out. I can see now though that the opposite is probably much easier to do and just as effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a Japanese pun, guys. You can't get it unless you know some Japanese. As soon as it's not a spoiler someone will explain it. Until then, don't worry about it!

But I don't GET IT! :qq:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Maybe it's because you get him so late in the game, and at this point I was rushing to finish the game as soon as possible, but I had no idea that all of Black's skills are available from the start. I never even thought to try a stinger move or a cyclone! They look extremely useful too.

For some reason, I constantly used the bomb power as a secondary while I had the hand/sword out. I can see now though that the opposite is probably much easier to do and just as effective.

I thought it was because the bomb doesn't do enough damage, what with being more of a utility than a direct weapon, to level up like other weapons. The fact that all its upgrade are just slight variations of how to throw the bomb would make it less rewarding to level.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pomp posted:

Yeah, I actually didn't even register at the natives when I saw them. They're so far outside of modern stereotypes that it'd be like having a bunch of red haired mongoloids called "Irishman."

If you guys think the natives with their tiki masks are a horrible racist stereotype, I got some bad news about the Magic Kingdom for you.

PilotEvan
Jun 27, 2008

WHAT?
It's racist because they actually prefer to be called Lorulean Indians.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

PilotEvan posted:

It's racist because they actually prefer to be called Lorulean Indians.

Formerly Hyrulian Natives but then Zelda's racist administration shipped them off. Put the natives in a jungle and all the Gerudo's in the desert so we don't have to see them, huh? #OccupyTempleofTime

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Raruna posted:

The failed Unite Bomb Quick Time was really poignant.
You can just feel Black's intense disappointment as he silently closes his DS.

It's time to stop playing video games.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Wheany posted:

It's time to stop playing video games.

Now that this has happened, I agree.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lid posted:

yessssss

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Lid posted:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a Japanese pun, guys. You can't get it unless you know some Japanese. As soon as it's not a spoiler someone will explain it. Until then, don't worry about it!

It's slightly obtuse and at the same time blindingly obvious once you get it. At least I think I got it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They didn't call it Japun for nothing :argh:

How long till the explanation stops being a spoiler?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

SelenicMartian posted:

They didn't call it Japun for nothing :argh:

How long till the explanation stops being a spoiler?

I think it stops being a spoiler near the beginning of Operation 006-A, or at least somewhere around there.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Oh my god that fuckin smirk

He's perfect

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Xad posted:

I think it stops being a spoiler near the beginning of Operation 006-A, or at least somewhere around there.

It's a little further than that. We're still a good ways off from it.

Operation 6-C

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Instead of talking about puns that are spoilers, how about we talk about puns that aren't spoilers, like the ones from last two weeks:

Ohdarko: 大蛸 (oodako), literally "big octopus".
Koh-Tumeekey: 小積木 (kotsumiki), small toy blocks.
Doora: 虎 (tora), tiger.
Kaizor Ohrowchee: we've seen an Ohrowchee before, but the Kaizor in this one's name comes from 改造 (kaizou), meaning "remodeled" or "modded", as it's a cyborg clone of Laambo's Diekuu Ohrowchee. People who watch a lot of anime and such may recognize the word from the term "kaizou ningen" (literally "remodeled human"), which is often used to refer to cyborgs. "Kaizor" also happens to sound like "kaiser", which is, of course, German for emperor and... not necessarily all that fitting here considering how quickly it got mowed down by the Dakkar.
Which reminds me, I think I forgot to cover Immorta's ship's name when it first showed up. Dakkar is actually one of the names I'm not really sure about - it could come from 奪回 (dakkai), meaning recovery or rescue and referencing Immorta's job as a police officer. There's also an enemy named Ducker (spelled exactly the same way in Japanese as Dakkar) in Gradius, and knowing Kamiya's love for old arcade games it could also be a reference to that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

By the way, I didn't notice, but Chewgi has to have some connection to the Wonderfuls. He did try to inspire them last battle, forcing Vorkken to shut him up ("I don't remember giving you permission to speak"). As Immorta revealed that the Vorkken's 100 are there through intimidation, maybe he's Red's dad/Blue's brother/Luka's dad*, captured, put into a bionic suit for life support and being forced to fight for evil under standard threats. Is the scenario I outlined frequent in Sentai shows?
Or maybe he's just the resident general Leo.

*I don't remember if we know Luka's deal, but it has to be death of a parent.

Chewgi is going to be Wonder-Mole, CENTINEL special undercover agent.

And yeah, Luka's deal totally has to be that his parents died during some alien attack and the Wonderfuls failed to save them. I mean, his first line is questioning how the Wonderful 100 can be so great when they can't even save "one person"

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"Why if it isn't the one they call 'Pencil Eater'; Class President of Blossom Elementary Grade Five, Classroom Number Three. Also known as Biilllyyyy Brown!"

As a teacher, you gotta remember a lot of names, and more new ones every year!

"Mr. Wedgewood, we've gotten reports that it takes you half an hour to check attendance. We appreciate your enthusiasm for learning your students names, but could you perhaps skip the titles from here on?"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

NullBlack posted:

"Mr. Wedgewood, we've gotten reports that it takes you half an hour to check attendance. We appreciate your enthusiasm for learning your students names, but could you perhaps skip the titles from here on?"

"But of course, Mrs Carter. Or should I say, the five year kayaking club supervisor, and graduate of the first class of the University of Blossom City's Mathematics course; Schooooool Principal!"

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Astro Nut posted:

"But of course, Mrs Carter. Or should I say, the five year kayaking club supervisor, and graduate of the first class of the University of Blossom City's Mathematics course; Schooooool Principal!"

My Joke was stolen by a Nut.

I do like that Wonder Red is an amusing straight man in the comedy team.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

TwoPair posted:

And yeah, Luka's deal totally has to be that his parents died during some alien attack and the Wonderfuls failed to save them.

I'd bet his missing parent IS a Wonderful One, who had to become anonymous when they took the mask...but we don't have any unaccounted-for characters. Maybe Alice? Wonder-White doesn't seem the type, and Nelson doesn't hide his identity.

Regardless, Luka's missing parent(s) are obviously crucial somehow.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Or are they?? Dun dun dunnnnn

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TwoPair posted:

And yeah, Luka's deal totally has to be that his parents died during some alien attack and the Wonderfuls failed to save them. I mean, his first line is questioning how the Wonderful 100 can be so great when they can't even save "one person"

Considering the amount of buildings that get obliterated in the first few chapters make 9/11 look like a party popper, I imagine the Wonderfuls aren't the best at saving people or damage control

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Omobono posted:

By the way, I didn't notice, but Chewgi has to have some connection to the Wonderfuls. He did try to inspire them last battle, forcing Vorkken to shut him up ("I don't remember giving you permission to speak"). As Immorta revealed that the Vorkken's 100 are there through intimidation, maybe he's Red's dad/Blue's brother/Luka's dad*, captured, put into a bionic suit for life support and being forced to fight for evil under standard threats.

Here's an idea, if your theory is indeed the case, what if he was the one who taught Vorkin how to unite morph?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Given how much comic-book physics this game uses (and Silver Age comic book physics at that), I'm sure all those buildings were empty and due to be condemned as part of the Blossom City Urban Renewal Program.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Captain Invictus posted:

Considering the amount of buildings that get obliterated in the first few chapters make 9/11 look like a party popper, I imagine the Wonderfuls aren't the best at saving people or damage control

I imagine it's a situation similar to Neon Genesis Evangelion, where the building are literally designed to be replaced with exact copies at a moment's notice and people have been trained to go into shelters when an attack starts. Considering this is the third (?) time these guys have been invaded, I assume they probably have special evacuation protocols in place.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

I think you'll find that the Wonderful 100 rescue and recruit everyone.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

TwoPair posted:

A while ago they mentioned a dead scientist person who made the statues or reactors I think? Could be that.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Loxbourne posted:

I'd bet his missing parent IS a Wonderful One, who had to become anonymous when they took the mask...but we don't have any unaccounted-for characters. Maybe Alice? Wonder-White doesn't seem the type, and Nelson doesn't hide his identity.

Regardless, Luka's missing parent(s) are obviously crucial somehow.

Well, we never see Nelson's eyes to my knowledge. He's secretly Laambo. The eyes are what REALLY make Laambo recognizable.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I'd bet money he's also Wonder-Red's little brother.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zereth posted:

I'd bet money he's also Wonder-Red's little brother.

Unlikely we know BOTH of their last names. We also know that Nelson was the Wonder-Red BEFORE the current Red. And has faced Lambo in the past (Actually looking closely at the cutscene, the one who kills Red's dad is either Lambo or one of his look-a-likes, I can see the sword.) Which means Red DID get his revenge in the first mission and didn't care at all. Though given typical Tokusatsu law, Luka is definitely going to be important

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Admiral Nelson has been in a strictly office-bound role since his retirement from the Wonderful 100, and since his brother's weird project to control memetic information across the world with a series of five integrated AIs didn't really pan out.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

John Liver posted:

Admiral Nelson has been in a strictly office-bound role since his retirement from the Wonderful 100, and since his brother's weird project to control memetic information across the world with a series of five integrated AIs didn't really pan out.

Weird, I didn't know the Major Nelson blog was so intricate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It looks like the secret to Vorkken et al's success isn't the power of teamwork or anything like that- teamwork and fair play are immaterial. Their ship seems to just be giving them infinite health (which explains why you're always fighting them on it). This is making the "you're not good/cooperating enough" talk a really weird tone.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Discendo Vox posted:

It looks like the secret to Vorkken et al's success isn't the power of teamwork or anything like that- teamwork and fair play are immaterial. Their ship seems to just be giving them infinite health (which explains why you're always fighting them on it). This is making the "you're not good/cooperating enough" talk a really weird tone.

The immortality ship is powered by teamwork, obviously.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

The immortality ship is powered by teamwork, obviously.
If we went below decks, we'd be able to see all the aliens on tandem bicycles that supply the ships power.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Because working together is more powerful than any power reactor in a shark ship, duh. Did you forget this was a superhero team game that literally has in its theme song how all of them working together can defeat any foe, put bad guys in the trash, etc.?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 8, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Unlikely we know BOTH of their last names. We also know that Nelson was the Wonder-Red BEFORE the current Red. And has faced Lambo in the past (Actually looking closely at the cutscene, the one who kills Red's dad is either Lambo or one of his look-a-likes, I can see the sword.) Which means Red DID get his revenge in the first mission and didn't care at all. Though given typical Tokusatsu law, Luka is definitely going to be important

Wait, Nelson was the former Wonder Red? When was that stated?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 8, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Lambo calls him Wonder Red as he falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

TwoPair posted:

Wait, Nelson was the former Wonder Red? When was that stated?

Laambo called Nelson Wonder Red after the first boss battle.

• Locked thread