Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat, they can't stop making shows that take place in the far future of UC, can they?
It lets them put in a couple of brief little fanservice nods to UC without having to actually mention it beyond 'yeah some wars happened a long time ago'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
And as TARDISman said, it keeps them from having to invent some new BS particle.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat, they can't stop making shows that take place in the far future of UC, can they?

I think Tomino just wants all of his Gundam stuff to take place in the same setting so he can reuse a few concepts.

Which is fine by me, it's so far in the future that it's basically a new setting anyways.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Looking at the player list from Project Cross Zone, it's a huge shame Megaman never got to be in SRW. (Shut up, Tekkaman Blade got in, Megaman could too). I mean, any of the various Mega Man series coudl easily fit in depending on the game.

I'll just add that to my growing list of "Cool Stuff I'd like to see in a game but never will".

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Looking at the player list from Project Cross Zone, it's a huge shame Megaman never got to be in SRW. (Shut up, Tekkaman Blade got in, Megaman could too). I mean, any of the various Mega Man series coudl easily fit in depending on the game.

I'll just add that to my growing list of "Cool Stuff I'd like to see in a game but never will".

Classic Mega Man and Roll, piloting robots based on their supers from Marvel VS Capcom*. Or maybe some kind of Voltron made out of Beat/Rush/Tango.

*combo attacks with Koji and Sayaka

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Srice posted:

I think Tomino just wants all of his Gundam stuff to take place in the same setting so he can reuse a few concepts.

Which is fine by me, it's so far in the future that it's basically a new setting anyways.

I just see it as an attempt at something similar to Gaia Gear, really. Only with way less literal Char clones for now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Srice posted:

Is there any sign of the newtype concept? Or at this late stage is it just assumed that everyone is one (or it never existed in the first place)?

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Classic Mega Man and Roll, piloting robots based on their supers from Marvel VS Capcom*. Or maybe some kind of Voltron made out of Beat/Rush/Tango.

*combo attacks with Koji and Sayaka

Not absurd enough. I need a 2S size Mega. I'm thinking Mega Man riding Rush like Pegas, throwing Gumdams around with Guts Man's Super Arm.

Mid-season upgrade is the Rush Adaptors from 6. Dodgetank the mooks in hover mode, then switch to power mode for the boss.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

blakyoshi posted:

Not absurd enough. I need a 2S size Mega. I'm thinking Mega Man riding Rush like Pegas, throwing Gumdams around with Guts Man's Super Arm.

Mid-season upgrade is the Rush Adaptors from 6. Dodgetank the mooks in hover mode, then switch to power mode for the boss.

His last attack is basically his Final Smash from Super Smash Bros.

But, y'know. Flashier.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any sign of the newtype concept? Or at this late stage is it just assumed that everyone is one (or it never existed in the first place)?
There is something going on that may be interpreted as Newtype shenanigans.

Oh, and I was amused to that one of the countries is called Ameria.

Daler Mehndi fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 8, 2014

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

There is something going on that may be interpreted as Newtype shenanigans.

Oh, and I was amused to that one of the countries is called Ameria.

It was called Ameria in Turn A too.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Gaius Marius posted:

It was called Ameria in Turn A too.
Exactly what I was thinking of.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

TARDISman posted:

But, y'know. Flashier.
An Immeasurable force from the other side of space.
It was infinite Mega Man.

A great war host comprising every Mega Man in creation.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

TARDISman posted:

But, y'know. Flashier.

Tons of shouting and HUGE, brushstroke kanji plastered all over the screen. gently caress yeah.

The first Megaman X game soundtrack would sound so great as a SRW remix :allears:

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!

Revolver Bunker posted:

Those will be great additions to SRW. Cross Ange on the other hand while it has interesting mecha designs may not be savable. :stare:

Its sort of in the vein of Gravion in my book. The suit designs are beautiful though, i'd love to see them in SRW.

What did everyone think of Captain Earth?

Eternal Volfogg fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 8, 2014

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Eternal Volfogg posted:

Its sort of in the vein of Gravion in my book. The suit designs are beautiful though, i'd love to see them in SRW.

It was okay.

It'd slot in with pretty much any SRW ever, it was pretty standard fare. Could be some interesting mechanics behind the units, using SP as ammo for high-power everything-piercing attacks is the first thing that comes to mind.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Eternal Volfogg posted:

It was a boring, uninteresting waste of some cool mecha designs. I watched six episodes and had to drop it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

NotALizardman posted:

It was a boring, uninteresting waste of some cool mecha designs. I watched six episodes and had to drop it.

It had a rad hat :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eternal Volfogg posted:

It was bad. The plot meanders about and does absolutely nothing interesting at all despite having interesting concepts, it wastes half the series repeating itself constantly, and the greatest crime is that it barely makes use of its incredible mechanical designs in the slightest. There's actually relatively few fights involving the full-sized robots and virtually all of them are over in less time than their stock footage combination sequence. Ultimately the greatest crime was that it was loving boring.

SRW could easily salvage it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Something fun is gonna come along on the 23rd for those of you who enjoy robot games!
in the meantime, here's some fancy images we had made for promotional stuff.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 12, 2014

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I just started Masou Kishin 4 and I like it, but I noticed Akurasu has very little useful information for it. Is there anywhere else that does?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I just started Masou Kishin 4 and I like it, but I noticed Akurasu has very little useful information for it. Is there anywhere else that does?

Not really in English. The Masoukishin games don't have a very big fanbase even among the SRW fans.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Not really in English. The Masoukishin games don't have a very big fanbase even among the SRW fans.

I know, which is strange since the art style looks like it would have more appeal there...

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

http://suparobokouryaku.com/masoukisinf/

There is a Japanese walkthrough for it, if that helps. I'm not sure exactly what info you're looking for, but if that doesn't have what you need there are probably a few others.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

I know, which is strange since the art style looks like it would have more appeal there...
Just the art style? It doesn't feel that distinctive to me...

The thing about MK series is that the gameplay is really dated. When the remake of the first game came out, I think most people sort of tolerated that because it's meant to be a "faithful" remake per se, but then they stretched it out for 4 games...

Banpre took something that many people were hyped for (the return of MK to SRW) and basically just squandered it for the most part.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm stalled on stage 40-something of MK4 because literally every enemy is identical and has 20,000 hit points right now. It's not difficult, just intensely boring. It was going so well up until now...

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

Just the art style? It doesn't feel that distinctive to me...

The thing about MK series is that the gameplay is really dated. When the remake of the first game came out, I think most people sort of tolerated that because it's meant to be a "faithful" remake per se, but then they stretched it out for 4 games...

Banpre took something that many people were hyped for (the return of MK to SRW) and basically just squandered it for the most part.

We could basically just say the only recent MK game worth playing is OGs2.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I'm still on stage 14 or so, so maybe I'll agree later, but I don't see any major problems with the gameplay that wouldn't also be true of the main series. It doesn't do anything truly unique, but I wasn't really expecting it to. It feels like a SRPG. Should it not?

Also, on further searching, Akurasu did have the main thing I was looking for, a table of the upgradeable skills and their translations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I'm still on stage 14 or so, so maybe I'll agree later, but I don't see any major problems with the gameplay that wouldn't also be true of the main series. It doesn't do anything truly unique, but I wasn't really expecting it to. It feels like a SRPG. Should it not?

Also, on further searching, Akurasu did have the main thing I was looking for, a table of the upgradeable skills and their translations.
Yeah, like I said, it's a perfectly ordinary SRW game as far as stage structure and stuff right up until stage 40 where I am now, where a new kind of 20k hit point enemy appears and I guess replaces everything else for the rest of the game? I dunno.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By the way, for those of you thinking of getting a Playstation TV, SRWZ2-1 and 2-2 look really good on the big screen. Basically they look like the PS2 games pre-Z, but widescreen and with better animations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So is anyone here thinking of getting Super Hero Generation? I'm looking to buy a few more weird Japanese games before the year's out and it looks neat enough, but I've never played one of those Gundam/Ultraman/Kamen Rider cross-over RPGs before so I'm interested in hearing what people have to say about them/SHG.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

There's not really a precedent to judge SHG in the franchise, I haven't played any of the previous games but I believe none of them played like it; if you've played a Gundam G Generation game, Super Hero Generation is by the same team with the same type of gameplay.

1st Stage Midboss fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 21, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

1st Stage Midboss posted:

There's not really a precedent to judge SHG in the franchise, I haven't played any of the previous games but I believe none of them played like it; if you've played a Gundam G Generation game, Super Hero Generation is by the same team with the same type of gameplay.
Yes, that's my opinion too. I believe the old SHG games were "regular" RPGs so this is a departure from the norm of that series.

But I don't think you can use G Generation as a judge either, because I'm pretty sure a bunch of G Gen mechanics aren't going to be in this... unless there's some kind of Ultraman and Kamen Rider evolution system...

Incidentally Ingram and Viletta were originally from that franchise. Weird knowing that considering they're usually connected to the SRX team.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm stalled on stage 40-something of MK4 because literally every enemy is identical and has 20,000 hit points right now. It's not difficult, just intensely boring. It was going so well up until now...

This is a disease that every Masoukishin game eventually falls prey to.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Davzz posted:

Yes, that's my opinion too. I believe the old SHG games were "regular" RPGs so this is a departure from the norm of that series.

But I don't think you can use G Generation as a judge either, because I'm pretty sure a bunch of G Gen mechanics aren't going to be in this... unless there's some kind of Ultraman and Kamen Rider evolution system...

Incidentally Ingram and Viletta were originally from that franchise. Weird knowing that considering they're usually connected to the SRX team.

Super Hero Operations was where they got connected to the SRX team in the first place, right down to piloting the R-Gun. Since they were the heroes, of course they stayed for the entire time, so probably when Alpha came out the whole thing with Ingram being a traitor was a lot more shocking. Bullet, Kusuha, Ryoto, and Leona were all part of the SRX team back then too. I know Bullet and Kusuha were shopkeepers, but I forget what Leona and Ryoto did. (I vaguely remember one of them saving your game, but don't quote me)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This is only tangentially related but the thread is a little quiet and I figure some of you might be interested.

I am running a Kickstarter for a tabletop Mecha RPG called Battle Century G. It is pretty much a love letter to SRW, translating the spirit of the franchise to roleplaying, so if you like playing pretend with giant robots you lose nothing by giving the free version of the manual a skim.

e: And I forgot to say, I don't want to derail this thread so if you have any questions or comments we should take it to the TG Kickstarter one.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 28, 2014

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Holy poo poo, I can't believe it took me until stage 20 to realize you could refund skills back into PP in coffin of the end. Combine this with unspent SP being converted into PP at the end of a map and for the fist time ever I feel completely overwhelmed with resources in a winkysoft game.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

This is only tangentially related but the thread is a little quiet and I figure some of you might be interested.

I am running a Kickstarter for a tabletop Mecha RPG called Battle Century G. It is pretty much a love letter to SRW, translating the spirit of the franchise to roleplaying, so if you like playing pretend with giant robots you lose nothing by giving the free version of the manual a skim.

Oh wow, did not know you were a goon when I stumbled upon your blog some time ago. My tabletop group has been waiting for a good mecha system to come along, so you'd better believe you have my backing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ryoga posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't believe it took me until stage 20 to realize you could refund skills back into PP in coffin of the end. Combine this with unspent SP being converted into PP at the end of a map and for the fist time ever I feel completely overwhelmed with resources in a winkysoft game.

Just as a warning, because this confused me for aaaaages when playing it and I figure it's worth telling in case you're blind like me: You actually have a limited number of slots to equip your skills into, and you need to select them after buying them for them to go into said slots.

I got to stage 25ish with all my characters having no skills at all. I was always wondering why I could never activate support attacks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

I'll get in on this too, I've been on a mecha game kick for a year or so now.

• Locked thread