Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
For a colony of around 20, I'll have 5 separate cook stations (mixing simple and fine meals) with at least half almost constantly in use, as well as actively harvesting, growing, and hunting; I still get starvation periods sometimes. Food will always be a major bottleneck, and just like growers, one chef alone won't cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

Hmm, alright. Some reason I had it in my head that it was more like Dwarf Fortress where a unit of food was food, and cooking simply made them happier. I got a 11 skill chef going 12 hours a day now trying to keep up with need for 7 people. Not going too well.

How far apart are your food stockpiles and cooking area?

Ideally you should build a proper kitchen/dining room with raw food storage, cooked meal storage, and seating areas all in close proxmimity to each other, and have your haulers bring food to the kitchen for the cook to use. It shouldn't take more than about eight hours to make plenty of meals that should last you about two days.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Slime posted:

1 unit of raw food isn't a meal. They take 10 units every time they use the nutrient paste dispenser.

This is the key. Hunger doesn't go off individual units of food, but units of nutrition. Simple and the tier above it meals are slightly lossy in the amount of food units used to nutrition provided, but grant an increasingly larger amount of happiness. The biggest meal is super lossy in exchange for a huge bonuses.

That said, meals are always preferred by colonists unless forbidden. And you should always cook your potatoes down at least. Keeping some loose berries around is always a good idea for when you have back to back solar flares, or eclipses and your power hasn't recovered.

Make a preferred/important/critical stockpile for them somewhere far away from your cooking tables, and limit the search radius of the table so that pile is out of range. This'll let you cook excess but keep an emergency supply safe, and it'll be replaced before your kitchen supply will.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 8, 2014

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
Learning to use dedicated stockpiles, what is and isn't allowed in stockpiles, stockpile priority, and the search radius for most of the crafting stuff is a great way to make your colony more efficient overall.

Nothing is more annoying than your cook walking all the way out to the field to pick up 10 potatoes per trip to make a single meal rather than letting your sucky haulers pick up a full load and dumping it right next to the stove for the cook to use. And then have them move finished meals to the dining area :)

I like to configure higher priority stockpiles next to where they will be needed, a normal priority "reserve" somewhere, then low priority next to the trade beacon (and another stockpile next to the beacon that is high priority for stuff I always want to trade like silver and junk weapons). That way pretty much anything I see on the trade screen should be excess.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

IAmTheRad posted:

You need to turn on the dispenser, it doesn't turn on automatically? I assumed with the potatoes on the hopper that it'd eat them automatically and give out sweet, sweet nutrient paste.

Thats how it is supposed to work. It does turn on automatically - my thinking was that it somehow got turned off. The other possibility is that food was so scarce that you never had more than 10 potatos in the hopper before some hungry colonist pulled them back out to eat them raw. You need to have at least 10 [food] to cook a meal, including paste.

Leif. posted:

For a colony of around 20, I'll have 5 separate cook stations (mixing simple and fine meals) with at least half almost constantly in use, as well as actively harvesting, growing, and hunting; I still get starvation periods sometimes. Food will always be a major bottleneck, and just like growers, one chef alone won't cut it.

A dedicated chef could easily feed tons of people. Just make sure you have a raw food stockpile immediately next to the kitchen and the cook station itself on top of a food pile that accepts meals. Set the cooking bill to drop meals on floor, so that your cook churns out dozens of simple meals in a shift.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 8, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Really, there is 0 reason to use the nutrient paste dispenser at all. It takes up a lot of space and gives lovely food. It's better just to drop with a cook and make simple meals from the start. If there are desperate times, you can just eat strawberries raw without penalty. Also, keep a few prepackaged meals that drop from caches forbidden and then if someone is starving to death just let them eat those.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Really, there is 0 reason to use the nutrient paste dispenser at all. It takes up a lot of space and gives lovely food. It's better just to drop with a cook and make simple meals from the start. If there are desperate times, you can just eat strawberries raw without penalty. Also, keep a few prepackaged meals that drop from caches forbidden and then if someone is starving to death just let them eat those.

Yeah, the 'start' needs to be a lot harder before the nutrient paste dispenser becomes a thing - right now there's no real reason why you wouldn't just skip straight to making a stove.

Now if seeds were a thing you might have to trade for and you didn't have any with you and you landed on a planet where the natural fauna was only edible if shoved into the nutrient paste dispenser, that might be a thing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's necessary if you're the type that doesn't scum out a cook and rolls with whatever you're given at character selection.

Or your cook dies.

It's also handy in the middle of a siege when your cook with 9 shooting is off handling business.

etc etc etcetera

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Even then, anybody who doesn't have crafting traited out as unusable can churn out simple meals during their downtime.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Bhodi posted:

Really, there is 0 reason to use the nutrient paste dispenser at all.

It's nice for feeding prisoners so you don't have to tie people up with food delivery.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Thinking about the complaints of cooking taking too long, there might be some room there for having a mod with a cafeteria-style cook station that has to be manned or prepared in some way but can provide meals (but not stockpile them) without a cook individually prepping every single one.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope this game gets weirder, or gets some funky sci-fi mods going. The mechanoids are cool, but I'd love to see alien creatures and weird purple moon worlds with crazy temples/facilities to reclaim. Maybe I'm just not that far in, I hear people fending off zombies? Mostly my experience is hunting earth animals, and shelling the gently caress out of primitive tribes or raiders that decide to have a sleepover near my Kamp of Killer Kannibals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roadie posted:

Thinking about the complaints of cooking taking too long, there might be some room there for having a mod with a cafeteria-style cook station that has to be manned or prepared in some way but can provide meals (but not stockpile them) without a cook individually prepping every single one.

I'd more generally like production stations to "ramp up", such that per-unit time goes down, but there's some overhead to starting a new bill.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Ok I give up, where are the text string for incidents kept, and where the hell do you create if/and statements in those files.

You sure to give up fast when it comes to modding. First Cataclysm now this.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Popular Thug Drink posted:

A dedicated chef could easily feed tons of people. Just make sure you have a raw food stockpile immediately next to the kitchen and the cook station itself on top of a food pile that accepts meals. Set the cooking bill to drop meals on floor, so that your cook churns out dozens of simple meals in a shift.

I get roughly 6 meals per chef in a shift. I've got around 20 colonists, and around 15 prisoners in various states of health. Some of my colonists are bedridden and need to be fed as well. With regular zombie, mechanoid, and tribal/townie attacks coming, it also means that I'm not often in a situation where I can sit back and stockpile meals without pulling cooks off the line to fight/treat wounded. So yes, a dedicated chef could theoretically take care of everyone. It's not quite as simple as that in practice.

Awful Sandwich posted:

I hope this game gets weirder, or gets some funky sci-fi mods going. The mechanoids are cool, but I'd love to see alien creatures and weird purple moon worlds with crazy temples/facilities to reclaim. Maybe I'm just not that far in, I hear people fending off zombies? Mostly my experience is hunting earth animals, and shelling the gently caress out of primitive tribes or raiders that decide to have a sleepover near my Kamp of Killer Kannibals.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3635.0

Leif. fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 9, 2014

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sounds like you need to harvest some organs and trade for food.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Awful Sandwich posted:

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

You sure to give up fast when it comes to modding. First Cataclysm now this.

You can't blame me for giving up on Cataclysm. You can't blame ANYONE for giving up on cataclysm.

Also, just to spite you, here is a file that will increase how often you get people.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwxby1dwws8dl53/More%20Survivors.7z?dl=0

Bitch.:smaug:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

TK-42-1 posted:

Sounds like you need to harvest some organs and trade for food.

I've got a ton of organs, but strangely this go-around the trading console has remained incredibly empty. I've survived now 4 major attacks of zombie hordes, as well as several mechanoid waves. I've seen a grand total of 4 ships -- one slaver, one combat supply, two exotic goods. Three of those ships came in rapid succession quite a while ago. I guess the RNG is just having a fun day.

In a previous save I had the colony up to around 40, but I wasn't paying attention to a "psychic drone causes all squirrels on the map to rampage" and lost a few colonists to squirrels, which caused a zombie incident and a tantrum spiral at the same time.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Man, today I had just finished the wall that protects my colony and then some drat tribesmen laid siege to my base for almost a week, shelling me with mortar fire. I had 6 people manning various mortar stations of my own, but their aim was terrible. Once the tribe finally sacked up and came to attack me, I opened the doors to the colony and I took them down as they came in and in some alleyway shootouts! :hellyeah:

I also didn't quite realize that turrets couldn't shoot over stone walls, hence having the let the enemy inside before killing them. Any better way to do it with an open base? Maybe turrets just outside the wall?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking a list of things that annoy people or could be improved would be useful for potential modders and perhaps even Tynan himself.

I can kick it off with:

- clear indication of hostiles, animals can be mad and you don't know it until a colonist is sent out to do something and gets gang-banged by a crew of squirrels
- trigger discipline, something configurable perhaps that has a rule that if a friendly or colonist is in your potential line of fire you HOLD FIRE and perhaps even move to a different position to shoot around them
- some overlay or indicator about how roof support works, so you can have some idea of where you need pillars or how big an area can be without collapse. I know I can probably look it up just as I can look up what an optimal room size is for happy thoughts, but incorporated into the game in a less than obtuse manner
- a roof view so you can see the roof without hovering over individual squares to see if it's roofed or not
- roof building options, however simple, so if an area accidentally loses it's roof you can put it back with little fuss

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

My greatest annoyance is having to do nothing to help wounded visitors and travelers because rescuing them constitutes an act of capture, and therefore a declaration of war.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Huszsersvn posted:

My greatest annoyance is having to do nothing to help wounded visitors and travelers because rescuing them constitutes an act of capture, and therefore a declaration of war.

Sounds like SOMEONE should've gone after that psychotic squirrel before they went and hacked a visitor to shreds with their cutest widdle cwaaws.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pawn 17 posted:

Man, today I had just finished the wall that protects my colony and then some drat tribesmen laid siege to my base for almost a week, shelling me with mortar fire. I had 6 people manning various mortar stations of my own, but their aim was terrible. Once the tribe finally sacked up and came to attack me, I opened the doors to the colony and I took them down as they came in and in some alleyway shootouts! :hellyeah:

I also didn't quite realize that turrets couldn't shoot over stone walls, hence having the let the enemy inside before killing them. Any better way to do it with an open base? Maybe turrets just outside the wall?
I prefer to make a central quad with a No Roof Zone. Can put all kinds of stuff in there, from mortars to solar panels to growing zones, and have it protected more than just leaving it out in the open.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Is there any future plans to add atmospherics? Like a base that needs to be sealed with an airlock for an inhospitable planet.. and also space suits?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

deebo posted:

Is there any future plans to add atmospherics? Like a base that needs to be sealed with an airlock for an inhospitable planet.. and also space suits?

I want atmospherics now. Tear gas, mustard gas, plasma, volatile things, vacume, bad smells, miasma... scents followed by animals, steam, pressurized steam!

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Baloogan posted:

I want atmospherics now. Tear gas, mustard gas, plasma, volatile things, vacume, bad smells, miasma... scents followed by animals, steam, pressurized steam!

Suddenly Space Station 13 crashes on the planet, flooding everything with highly toxic, flammable, semi-magically reactive plasma.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

deebo posted:

I was thinking about this and it would make for a hilarious Mars colony simulator.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deebo posted:

Haven't a clue myself, though the lore does have toxic and polluted worlds as well as radiation as a point of note. It's possible it might be a feature down the line? You could probably mod it in easily enough by making a suffocation disease which occurs if you go outside without a space suit clothing item that makes you immune to it or something.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

I was thinking a list of things that annoy people or could be improved would be useful for potential modders and perhaps even Tynan himself.

I can kick it off with:

- clear indication of hostiles, animals can be mad and you don't know it until a colonist is sent out to do something and gets gang-banged by a crew of squirrels
- trigger discipline, something configurable perhaps that has a rule that if a friendly or colonist is in your potential line of fire you HOLD FIRE and perhaps even move to a different position to shoot around them
- some overlay or indicator about how roof support works, so you can have some idea of where you need pillars or how big an area can be without collapse. I know I can probably look it up just as I can look up what an optimal room size is for happy thoughts, but incorporated into the game in a less than obtuse manner
- a roof view so you can see the roof without hovering over individual squares to see if it's roofed or not
- roof building options, however simple, so if an area accidentally loses it's roof you can put it back with little fuss

Man, a roof view would be so nice. Even if it's just another overlay or a different roof zone color (opposite the 'no roof' zones).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Is the roof shadow not enough of an overlay for you? The lighting system tells me all I need to know about my roofs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's not something I've had any issue with either. I could see its use if we had multiple types of roof, maybe to separate destructible and mountain roofing, but roofed or open is usually easy to tell.

Sadkitten
Dec 19, 2006

I dont like the way that sounds, not at all!
Is the doctoring/surgery working correctly or just bugged right now? I've had multiple surgeries qued but people just sit in their hospital beds infinitely waiting. I have a couple 8 skill doctors that have performed bionic leg implant surgery before, but even with the legs sitting their waiting to be installed they just wont do it for some reason :suicide: I cant seem to install the bionic claw to a tribal melee guy I just captured either..

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Sadkitten posted:

Is the doctoring/surgery working correctly or just bugged right now? I've had multiple surgeries qued but people just sit in their hospital beds infinitely waiting. I have a couple 8 skill doctors that have performed bionic leg implant surgery before, but even with the legs sitting their waiting to be installed they just wont do it for some reason :suicide: I cant seem to install the bionic claw to a tribal melee guy I just captured either..

Do you have medicine? They could be waiting for medicine.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Alright, got my food issues sorted out. I've got a small kitchen, with two stockpiles of 4 squares each. One holds meet, one holds vegies. They are higher priority stockpiles, I have my stove set to make 10 simple meals, 15 fine meals, and keep me at that level. When the ingredients run low, haulers restock the kitchen from the larder I have next to the dining hall. Only time I ran out of prepped meals was when I had a long solar flare, leading people to eat some of the 500 berries I have in storage.

On another note, my doctor is an abrasive bitch that loves shooting. In trying to train her in shooting she has shot the same guy twice now, once in the kidney with a sniper rifle, once in the everywhere with a minigun. So not only is he getting bad thoughts from being injured, she bitches at him while patching him up and gives him bad thoughts form rotten bedside manner.

Sadkitten
Dec 19, 2006

I dont like the way that sounds, not at all!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Do you have medicine? They could be waiting for medicine.

I've got about 300 medicine stockpiled, bionic parts of all kinds, surgeons with their only jobs as firefighting, doctoring, patient, and I have a bedridden guy sitting around for the past year waiting on his appointment.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

There's a big discussion about combat and raids on the ludeon forums and the flavour in favour seems to lead the game into more of a dwarf fortress style hands-off experience where people don't have to micromanage pawns in combat.

That makes me really sad. I want more microing options.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Sadkitten posted:

I've got about 300 medicine stockpiled, bionic parts of all kinds, surgeons with their only jobs as firefighting, doctoring, patient, and I have a bedridden guy sitting around for the past year waiting on his appointment.

Are both the doctors the ones having the ops?
Is the medicine forbidden?

If not select your doctor, right click the guy who you want to have the op and select 'Prioritise whatever' on the options.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pawn 17 posted:

A big solid front wall, and a single door that leads into a circular area surrounded by turrets and walls and floors with a slow walking material (this is easier with mods) and then a one-tile-wide opening to the outside. For double duty put your orbital beacon in the middle of the circular area, so any hostiles who drop in on it immediately get shot to pieces.

Raiders will see the single door, think of it as a preferable point of attack, and charge through the middle of the circular area where they'll promptly get shredded by the turrets. Done right this can easily kill off even groups of mechanoids with no effort on your part.

You can even do this without actually slowing down your colonists' way through to the outside by adding a secondary passage that's just a row of automatic doors one after the other - by the time you get to like 10 of them it'll be basically ignored by raider pathing.

Sylink posted:

I was thinking about this and it would make for a hilarious Mars colony simulator.

Thinking about it, you could easily have some drama even without obvious enemies by having stuff like low-HP walls that get damaged in Martian dust storms.

Zigmidge posted:

There's a big discussion about combat and raids on the ludeon forums and the flavour in favour seems to lead the game into more of a dwarf fortress style hands-off experience where people don't have to micromanage pawns in combat.

I just want something where the extremes aren't "micromanage everybody through a whole combat encounter and then because you had them drafted too long they all have a psychotic break the second you click 'undraft'" and "leave them alone and forget to lock the doors and Frenchy goes looking for metal in the middle of the raider camp and gets shot to death".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Zigmidge posted:

Yes! Give me more options for outfoxing my enemy outside of my static defenses (hunkering down, sprinting, suppression, going prone, etc.), because the attacking forces have the advantages of infinite number, have no mind for taking losses, AND they field massive quantities of sniper rifles. What the hell is up with all the sniper rifles?