Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Man, I really wanted Mustadio...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
In the Lenalia Plateau, you mention that "in FFT's class society, the people who are just barely in the upper class defend the upper class most strongly."

This is true of all of a society's classes - those who barely squeak into a class are the strongest defenders - and appears to be a core dynamic of human nature, seen in modern societies as well as throughout history.

Those who barely make it into a class have the most to lose if a class is threatened/changed; if qualification relaxes, more people join the class, and those who were "just barely" are now also less special and the privileges are watered down. If the class becomes more restrictive, they risk falling into a lower class. (I understand a similar dynamic goes on in cliques, as well.)

This contributes to the timeless aspects of FFT's story, and makes it relevant (to a greater or lesser extent).

I'm enjoying your in-depth analysis; I'm seeing aspects of the story I hadn't noticed previously (such as some of Ramza's complex feelings towards his brothers).

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
By the way, you may want to take the link to the creators' site down because website doesn't work anymore. Their domain name expired.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Kacie posted:

In the Lenalia Plateau, you mention that "in FFT's class society, the people who are just barely in the upper class defend the upper class most strongly."

This is true of all of a society's classes - those who barely squeak into a class are the strongest defenders - and appears to be a core dynamic of human nature, seen in modern societies as well as throughout history.

Those who barely make it into a class have the most to lose if a class is threatened/changed; if qualification relaxes, more people join the class, and those who were "just barely" are now also less special and the privileges are watered down. If the class becomes more restrictive, they risk falling into a lower class. (I understand a similar dynamic goes on in cliques, as well.)

This contributes to the timeless aspects of FFT's story, and makes it relevant (to a greater or lesser extent).

I'm enjoying your in-depth analysis; I'm seeing aspects of the story I hadn't noticed previously (such as some of Ramza's complex feelings towards his brothers).

I was thinking specifically of George Orwell's essays on the English middle class and its relationship to the Empire when I said that, they're very interesting if you haven't read them before. You may be right that this is true of any society but I just hadn't researched the topic enough to make the generalization unequivocally.

jayman52 posted:

By the way, you may want to take the link to the creators' site down because website doesn't work anymore. Their domain name expired.

Wow that is really unfortunate. I will try and see if the Wayback Machine still has the info up.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Man, I really wanted Mustadio...

So did I, but the people have spoken! I never knew Agrias was so popular. I'm still trying to think of something interesting to do with her.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Man, these videos are way too long. You need to edit failures down to highlights.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

George posted:

Man, these videos are way too long. You need to edit failures down to highlights.

Or fast forward through them with a voice-over explaining what went wrong.

MaterialConceptual posted:

So did I, but the people have spoken! I never knew Agrias was so popular. I'm still trying to think of something interesting to do with her.

Have an "accident" and have her be replaced with Mustadio?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
You mentioned that you were missing the script of the game in your latest video. Well, I don't know if this is what you are looking for but here you go.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Lotish posted:

I found 1.3 Content to definitely be harder than the base game simply because the rebalanced classes/monsters/items mean you aren't just able to go up against, say, a pack of archers and curb stomp them because their class is poo poo.

And at least in the version I played, the biggest difference between Content and Vanilla 1.3 is that the battles did not scale to your level. However, the enemies were still buffed up considerably with more equipment, much more JP, access to abilities you don't have (infinite Elixirs for half the AI units, yay!), and in later levels, battles filled with BS enemy units. In some ways, I'd say it actually made things harder if you didn't grind- the bosses have hugely inflated HP totals and stupid setups, and if you don't grind they will far outlevel you, instead of being scaled to your level. On the other hand, some of the added content IS pretty neat (new allies, Cactuar and Tonberry enemies, etc.).

Anybody tried FFT: KO (Kind of)? Seems to be another pretty extensive rebalancing that isn't a hard mod. It's available for PSX and PSP.

jabokiebean
Dec 30, 2012
Just started watching, great LP so far. I loved this game when I was younger, and it's interesting seeing how much of the back story I never put together. It's a bummer to hear about the deployment of one of the developers and website going down. Fortunately, it looks like there is substantial information over at ModDB:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/final-fantasy-tactics-rebirth/features

Hope the LP keeps up!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

jayman52 posted:

You mentioned that you were missing the script of the game in your latest video. Well, I don't know if this is what you are looking for but here you go.

I was talking about the Japanese script. It used to be up on a website in an easy to navigate form, but that site went down. It was a nice reference for the game.

George posted:

I don't have time to do that but I will include timestamps in the description where you can jump to the successful attempt from here on in.

jabokiebean posted:

Just started watching, great LP so far. I loved this game when I was younger, and it's interesting seeing how much of the back story I never put together. It's a bummer to hear about the deployment of one of the developers and website going down. Fortunately, it looks like there is substantial information over at ModDB:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/final-fantasy-tactics-rebirth/features

Hope the LP keeps up!

Thanks! I actually updated the OP to link to that features page yesterday. Unfortunately it still doesn't include the updated level requirements for the classes. I really should have downloaded that JPEG!

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
I really like the LP thus far, and you give some interesting commentary to a game I've loved for over a decade.
I think you should use random.org though to generate your team. It may throw some wrenches into the game, but you're starting to get a big(ger) party and I want to see what you can do when you don't have a preset plan.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

EllEssDee posted:

I really like the LP thus far, and you give some interesting commentary to a game I've loved for over a decade.
I think you should use random.org though to generate your team. It may throw some wrenches into the game, but you're starting to get a big(ger) party and I want to see what you can do when you don't have a preset plan.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd like to do one "normal" run of the game before going on to do eccentric stuff like this.

I took a look at my first playthrough of the game and I came up with this incomplete job list:

quote:

Squire: None
Chemist: None
Knight: Lv2 Squire
Archer: Lv2 Squire
Monk: Lv2 Knight
Priest: Lv2 Chemist
Wizard: Lv2 Chemist
Time Mage: Lv2 Wizard
Summoner: Lv4 Wizard, Lv4 Priest, Lv2 Time Mage
Thief: Lv2 Archer
Mediator: Lv2 Oracle
Oracle: Lv2 Priest
Geomancer: Lv3 Monk
Lancer: Lv3 Thief
Samurai: Lv3 Knight, Lv4 Monk, Lv2 Lancer
Ninja: Lv3 Archer, Lv4 Thief, Lv2 Geomancer
Lunar Knight: Lv4 Knight, Lv4 Wizard, Lv3 Summoner, Lv3 Samurai
Dancer: Lv4 Geomancer, Lv4 Lancer

Unfortunately I'm missing bard and mime, and I need to know what the bard requirements are. I know I mentioned them in one of my older videos but I can't remember which one it was. Does anyone recall what the requirements were?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MaterialConceptual posted:

Unfortunately I'm missing bard and mime, and I need to know what the bard requirements are. I know I mentioned them in one of my older videos but I can't remember which one it was. Does anyone recall what the requirements were?

Well, in Episode 7 (just watching it now), you were talking about how you need Level 4 Summoner (and it sounded like Level 3 Time Mage), and Level 2 Priest and Wizard (but since Summoner requires 4 Priest/4 Wizard, only getting to level 2 in those was impossible).

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Well, in Episode 7 (just watching it now), you were talking about how you need Level 4 Summoner (and it sounded like Level 3 Time Mage), and Level 2 Priest and Wizard (but since Summoner requires 4 Priest/4 Wizard, only getting to level 2 in those was impossible).

Great, thanks a lot! I will try getting those job levels just to confirm.

EDIT: Just a note on the leveling progress - It shouldn't take too long because all three new characters start with close to the job levels we need. The most time consuming thing is just grinding with them as squires long enough for them to get Gained JP Up.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 11, 2014

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
On that note, do you have any recommendation as to how to get a new recruit up to speed past early game? Random encounters scale to Ramza's level which means I'm putting a level 1 schmuck against level 23 enemies at this point.

Best I can think of is having them hang back and pelt Ramza from behind with Stone while he casts Steel back on them, then go with Steal XP once they've got thief levels...

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

kaosdrachen posted:

On that note, do you have any recommendation as to how to get a new recruit up to speed past early game? Random encounters scale to Ramza's level which means I'm putting a level 1 schmuck against level 23 enemies at this point.

Best I can think of is having them hang back and pelt Ramza from behind with Stone while he casts Steel back on them, then go with Steal XP once they've got thief levels...

Sounds reasonable to me. Haste and yell are also your friends.

EDIT: So I got Ramza up to Lv4 Wizard Lv4 Priest Lv4 Summoner Lv3 Time Mage, but I still can't make him into a bard...anyone have any luck finding the job requirements?

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 12, 2014

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

I'm just catching up on videos and it's Episode 4 where you mention the bard requirements. You say it's Chemist: Lv2, Priest: Lv2, Wizard: Lv2, Time mage: Lv2, Summoner: Lv4, Mediator: Lv4, Oracle: Lv2.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Riobs posted:

I'm just catching up on videos and it's Episode 4 where you mention the bard requirements. You say it's Chemist: Lv2, Priest: Lv2, Wizard: Lv2, Time mage: Lv2, Summoner: Lv4, Mediator: Lv4, Oracle: Lv2.

Thank you! Okay I'm one mediator level away from Bard. Expect a new video tonight unless the typhoon somehow cuts my Internet connection.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

The new video should be up now, and so is the Agrias job poll! You can find it here! I've also included a time stamp in the new video for where the battle starts so you can skip to that if you want to.

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
I think now you're required to make Ramza go full Targaryen and have an entire party of dragons. Also, I can't wait to see how bard Ramza handles the duels.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Dry Hump posted:

I think now you're required to make Ramza go full Targaryen and have an entire party of dragons. Also, I can't wait to see how bard Ramza handles the duels.

I've actually played a class-limited challenge (in Vanilla) where Ramza was a bard, so I can answer this question.

I think there are two duels, one with Gafgarion and one with Wiegraf.

Against Gafgarion, you equip Fly and just gently caress off over the rampart so he can't do anything but watch until you have cleared the rest of the enemies and are ready to focus fire on him.

Against Wiegraf, if you equip Move+3 and do it right, it is possible to always move to a position such that none of his skills have the range to hit you. What you do is run in circles singing the Benny Hill theme acapella, using the speed and power boosting songs until you turn into the Hulk crossed with the Flash and can kill both Wiegraf and the second phase of the fight before anyone else can react.

With the Rebirth homepage down, I'm not sure if either of these strategies have been nerfed in this mod.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Has anyone ever tried Celdia's Complete Patch (CCP)?

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7362.0

I remember it being in progress, but completely forgot about the damned thing.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Dry Hump posted:

We could just pretend "Reis" is short for Daenerys!

Glidergun posted:

I've actually played a class-limited challenge (in Vanilla) where Ramza was a bard, so I can answer this question.

I think there are two duels, one with Gafgarion and one with Wiegraf.

Against Gafgarion, you equip Fly and just gently caress off over the rampart so he can't do anything but watch until you have cleared the rest of the enemies and are ready to focus fire on him.

Against Wiegraf, if you equip Move+3 and do it right, it is possible to always move to a position such that none of his skills have the range to hit you. What you do is run in circles singing the Benny Hill theme acapella, using the speed and power boosting songs until you turn into the Hulk crossed with the Flash and can kill both Wiegraf and the second phase of the fight before anyone else can react.

With the Rebirth homepage down, I'm not sure if either of these strategies have been nerfed in this mod.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking along similar lines. In any case it should make for some good comedy.

Prowler posted:

I haven't but that looks very extensive. Is it actually finished now?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It seems like that Celdia mega-patch fizzled out somewhere in 2013 or so going by the main forum there and the locked topics.

jabokiebean
Dec 30, 2012
Any hope for Agrias going Lunar Knight? I've never heard of that class but it could be cool.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

jabokiebean posted:

Any hope for Agrias going Lunar Knight? I've never heard of that class but it could be cool.

I hadn't thought of that, but it would be a viable option, making her into something like a weaker version of TG Cid. Unfortunately I can't add it to the existing poll, so I'll let that poll run until I upload the next video and then create a new one to choose between the winning job and Lunar Knight.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

You mention how tough it would be to level Mustadio to levels of cool, but in previous videos you said your party is just too powerful. The Dancer and Bard combo is just fantastic. Maybe you should gimp yourself in the quest to have Mustadio on the team, wielding dualies, throwing potions, and wrecking poo poo.

I am biased.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Prowler posted:

I enjoyed it, but it's not much more balanced than the base game. Definitely worth a play if you want more but different FFT, though.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Rotten Cookies posted:

You mention how tough it would be to level Mustadio to levels of cool, but in previous videos you said your party is just too powerful. The Dancer and Bard combo is just fantastic. Maybe you should gimp yourself in the quest to have Mustadio on the team, wielding dualies, throwing potions, and wrecking poo poo.

I am biased.

Again, that was my plan but I'm sticking with what the viewers have voted for. Agrias isn't exactly overpowered anyhow. I might switch things up once we get around the last act just to make things interesting, but I will finish the last missions with the party that was voted for.

EDIT: I'm also not going to grind with Agrias at all so I can offset the levels I picked up earlier to some extent.

The new episode is up, and so is the FINAL POLL! Vote now on whether Agrias should be a Samurai or a Lunar Knight!

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 16, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I was just kidding around. I wasn't seriously expecting you to change your game plan because of my childhood love for Mustadio.

It's looking like Agrias is going to be a Lunar Knight. Could you have her sub-job be Samurai? Or do you want to keep her innate job as her sub-job?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oh wow, this is cool. I love mods/patches like this.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Rotten Cookies posted:

I was just kidding around. I wasn't seriously expecting you to change your game plan because of my childhood love for Mustadio.

It's looking like Agrias is going to be a Lunar Knight. Could you have her sub-job be Samurai? Or do you want to keep her innate job as her sub-job?

Yeah we could do that. It would actually be a pretty good fit in some ways. I'm going to max out Lunar Knight first though.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Oh wow, this is cool. I love mods/patches like this.

Hope you enjoy the series!

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

drat, after that battle I bet Lavian and Alicia had some words with Mustadio for actually shooting them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shame Gained JP Up isn't universal like in LFT. That skill should never have existed. Your guys already passively gain JP by watching other classes.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I'm still catching up on the videos, but I've noticed that every so often there's some slight misinformation, mostly around how time works in the game. (Unless the patch changed this, but that would take some serious mechanics fuckery, so I doubt it). For instance, you've mentioned about how status effects wear off faster on enemies with haste, and how dances and songs go off quicker the faster the character gets. Actually, in both cases, the duration of statuses and the speed of songs/dances (or any other charging move besides "Jump") is unrelated to a character's speed.

Time in the game runs on "clock ticks," which are the smallest unit of time in the game. Every character, and every charging move (again, besides Jump) has a speed stat. After every clock tick, a character's speed stat is added to their ATB bar. Once it reaches 100, they get a turn. So with a speed of 10, it takes 10 clock ticks to go from 0 ATB to 100 ATB and get a turn. Spells work the same way. If a spell/song/dance has a CT (charge time) of 5, that means the spell executes after 5 clock ticks (as in, the spell has a "speed" of 20). That's why it's easier to get spells off earlier in the game, because spells are faster relative to the speed of your characters. As characters get faster, they catch up to spell speeds more and getting charging attacks off is harder. The same is true for Bards and Dancers, who are actually much more powerful early on when everyone is slower, since their songs execute more times per turn.

Jump is the exception because it actually does depend on the unit's speed (although Haste or Slow does not affect it).

Status effects last a set number of clock ticks (except ones that don't wear off, like Silence or Darkness). So say the Don't Act status lasts 50 clock ticks- this is independent of how fast the victim is. Earlier in the game when characters are slower, statuses seem to wear off faster because the units are getting fewer turns (e.g. at 5 speed, it takes 20 clock ticks to get a turn, so a 50 tick duration effect would wear off after two and a half turns. If a character has 10 speed, it only takes 10 clock ticks to get a turn, so a status with a 50 tick duration effect would last five turns). So a character with haste may actually waste more turns being under a status than a non-hasted character.

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all; just thought the technical minutiae may be interesting and occasionally useful. :eng101:

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Riobs posted:

drat, after that battle I bet Lavian and Alicia had some words with Mustadio for actually shooting them.

So that's why Mustadio is going to be stuck cooling his heels...

Scalding Coffee posted:

A shame Gained JP Up isn't universal like in LFT. That skill should never have existed. Your guys already passively gain JP by watching other classes.

Yeah it is kind of ridiculous and it stops you from exploring the utility skills until late in the game...

Okay that is really good to know, it's interesting how charge skills change in value over the course of the game.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm still catching up on the videos, but I've noticed that every so often there's some slight misinformation, mostly around how time works in the game. (Unless the patch changed this, but that would take some serious mechanics fuckery, so I doubt it). For instance, you've mentioned about how status effects wear off faster on enemies with haste, and how dances and songs go off quicker the faster the character gets. Actually, in both cases, the duration of statuses and the speed of songs/dances (or any other charging move besides "Jump") is unrelated to a character's speed.

Time in the game runs on "clock ticks," which are the smallest unit of time in the game. Every character, and every charging move (again, besides Jump) has a speed stat. After every clock tick, a character's speed stat is added to their ATB bar. Once it reaches 100, they get a turn. So with a speed of 10, it takes 10 clock ticks to go from 0 ATB to 100 ATB and get a turn. Spells work the same way. If a spell/song/dance has a CT (charge time) of 5, that means the spell executes after 5 clock ticks (as in, the spell has a "speed" of 20). That's why it's easier to get spells off earlier in the game, because spells are faster relative to the speed of your characters. As characters get faster, they catch up to spell speeds more and getting charging attacks off is harder. The same is true for Bards and Dancers, who are actually much more powerful early on when everyone is slower, since their songs execute more times per turn.

Jump is the exception because it actually does depend on the unit's speed (although Haste or Slow does not affect it).

Status effects last a set number of clock ticks (except ones that don't wear off, like Silence or Darkness). So say the Don't Act status lasts 50 clock ticks- this is independent of how fast the victim is. Earlier in the game when characters are slower, statuses seem to wear off faster because the units are getting fewer turns (e.g. at 5 speed, it takes 20 clock ticks to get a turn, so a 50 tick duration effect would wear off after two and a half turns. If a character has 10 speed, it only takes 10 clock ticks to get a turn, so a status with a 50 tick duration effect would last five turns). So a character with haste may actually waste more turns being under a status than a non-hasted character.

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all; just thought the technical minutiae may be interesting and occasionally useful. :eng101:

So THAT's what CT stands for.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
FFT 1.3 Content is nice for the content of 1.3 without the masochism but I wish it was actually maintained and updated. It seems like it's abandoned already and stuck at an older version.

Prowler posted:

I've beaten it.

It's meant to be a huge overhaul and not just "base FFT but polished up" so don't play it for that purpose. Really fun, but just as unbalanced as Vanilla, really.

Anyway, it's "complete" as it is ever going to be - Classes all done, Items done, Battles redesigned to take the previous two in account done. It could use balance tweaking but the author has moved on to other things in her life, it seems.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
I've been trying to play this patch myself, but upon patching it, it just decides to hang forever. Oh well, bummer.

Edit: Scratch that, got it to work. Ended up getting to the second chapter in one sitting. Digging the changes.

EllEssDee fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

EllEssDee posted:

I've been trying to play this patch myself, but upon patching it, it just decides to hang forever. Oh well, bummer.

Edit: Scratch that, got it to work. Ended up getting to the second chapter in one sitting. Digging the changes.

Glad to hear you got that sorted out and are enjoying the patch. I wasn't sure if we could discuss that sort of thing on here.

Also, the next video is up and Agrias will be a lunar knight...in about 13 episodes! Sorry for the delay, had some real life stuff come up. I was pleasantly surprised to see she got some considerable buffs:

quote:

Agrias - Her Sword Skills have been nerfed as they now require MP but her Speed and Physical Attack statistics have been increased significantly. She has strength close to that of male characters while having the speed of faster classes such as Thief and Ninja.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 20, 2014

• Locked thread