Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finnbar
Jan 29, 2006
You're Solid Gold, I'll See You In Hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Blank posts.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Chamberk posted:

The more I hear these days, the more I think The Shield may have been one of the more accurate cop shows.

The civil forfeiture segment on LWT made me immediately think of The Shield where it was a major plot point for a season. Great show.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I've spent the past 48 hours chuckling in public thinking about "Tenny Mucho Mucho DeNiro In Su Trucky-Trailer?"

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Gonz posted:

Detective Jeff Goldblum interrogating $2,500 worth of cash was magnificent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

My video reaction to that segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YgZX9Thm0

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I've spent the past 48 hours chuckling in public thinking about "Tenny Mucho Mucho DeNiro In Su Trucky-Trailer?"

It's good to know I'm not alone in that, only adding another day, at this point. It has managed to add a little levity to everything since Sunday night.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I know I'm a little tardy to the party on this one, but my wife works in development for a private high school and she told me about the scholarship exaggeration that Miss America does months ago. According to her it's a pretty common practice in the industry, and whenever a college says they "offered" X amount of dollars in scholarships to students, the figure they actually paid out somewhere between 5 and 25% of X due to several of those perspective students declining the offer in favor of other schools or opportunities.

And I agree this show has definitely surpassed TDS and Colbert Report. I still watch and enjoy both, but LWT has really made me like TDS a lot less. I've grown tired of some Jon's repeat offenders like his semi-weekly Mitch McConnell turtle impressions and laughing at [insert republican here] for [dumb thing they said this week that has no effect on policy] . Yes they're good for a cheap laugh but it really feels like low hanging fruit and ultimately accomplishes nothing. TDS segments usually do the best job of bringing new issues to light, but the entire show is hampered by having only 22 minutes to work with. Out of those 22 minutes, figure about 3 for open/close and transistions and another 7 for interviews, often from someone I'd rather watch on the tonight show.

LWT however seems to transcend party lines (he hits Philly and Texas in his civil forfeiture bit, 2 places that couldn't have less in common politically) and has been hitting hard on things I didn't even know were an issue. The main story really delves into a particular issue, explains it well and still manages to be hilarious.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It helps that he has a week to produce a half-hour, instead of doing 22 minutes every day.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

It helps that he has a week to produce a half-hour, instead of doing 22 minutes every day.

And doesn't have to do interviews.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oliver may be refreshingly more forceful, but let's not overstate the impact of the show. Miss America will still be around for years. Telecom companies still have the upper hand with lobbyists and access to the government. People are still buying snake oil vitamins. And those geckos are dead.

There's room for more than one current events comedy show, and Stewart's McConnell impression still makes me laugh without making me imagine the image of an old man's penis.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Echo Chamber posted:

Oliver may be refreshingly more forceful, but let's not overstate the impact of the show. Miss America will still be around for years. Telecom companies still have the upper hand with lobbyists and access to the government. People are still buying snake oil vitamins. And those geckos are dead.

There's room for more than one current events comedy show, and Stewart's McConnell impression still makes me laugh without making me imagine the image of an old man's penis.

Yeah I don't think anyone's saying John Oliver will bring these vile institutions to their knees, it's just cool to get something different and interesting.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Scholarships and grants are hilariously and infuriatingly corrupt - with more strings attached than a new credit card.

I went to an "elite" east coast non-religious private university, and they gave me a juicy aid package. They force all incoming first years to live in the dorms, no exceptions.

Which would be fine, except the meal plans were hideously overpriced, along with a jacked up room and board pricing that was nowhere near fair.

My second year I planned tomoved off-campus and was promptly notified that over $6,000 of my grant money was contingent on me staying in the dorms. Fine print is a bitch.

I moved off-campus anyway. Instead of sharing a cramped room with a roommate, I had my own space and a small ten minute walk to campus. And one day, my parents and I sat down and priced out how much I spent on food and rent and all the rest - even by losing $6,000 in grant money we STILL saved a substantial chunk of money.

Never forget that every university, not just the "For profit" universities, are a business at the end of the day. Or at least, that's the way the industry has moved.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Narcissus1916 posted:

Never forget that every university, not just the "For profit" universities, are a business at the end of the day. Or at least, that's the way the industry has moved.

gently caress neoliberalism. "Universities are the Critical Consciences of Society" my rear end.

Edit: I'm just sad that I'll probably never pay off my mounting student debt. :smith:

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

It's amazing that, so far, it seems like the Miss America segment created the most disagreement. No one is defending FIFA, drones, or police militarization the way MRAs and eugenicists are defending beauty pageants.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
For MRAs and eugenicists, the belief that women are little more than decorative objects is a crucial feature of their existential makeup (whereas no one has founded their entire identity on being anti-drone or whatever). Anyone demanding that women be respected as people shakes them to their core, and then it's knives out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Read John Oliver's cover story for RS. They're planning an episode called "Our Friend Israel".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Read John Oliver's cover story for RS. They're planning an episode called "Our Friend Israel".
Oooooh boy.

Knowing how Last Week Tonight handles things, this is gonna be... touchy.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Please use the words apartheid and genocide, please use the words apartheid and genocide.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Please use the words apartheid and genocide, please use the words apartheid and genocide.
He's going to have to be careful. Last Week Tonight has a broad viewing base, many which might have different opinions on Israel. Now if he decides to go in that direction and be aggressively informative of the situation on the ground in Israel and Palestine, good for him, too few journalists do today, but he's going to have to approach it gradually, so people don't just tune him out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JT Jag posted:

He's going to have to be careful. Last Week Tonight has a broad viewing base, many which might have different opinions on Israel. Now if he decides to go in that direction and be aggressively informative of the situation on the ground in Israel and Palestine, good for him, too few journalists do today, but he's going to have to approach it gradually, so people don't just tune him out.

I have faith he can make it work.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Can't wait.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

JT Jag posted:

He probably won't take sides on the main issues but criticise Israel for...you know, the things they've said (particularly about America) and done. I doubt he'd go any harder than Jon Stewart would.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VagueRant posted:

He probably won't take sides on the main issues but criticise Israel for...you know, the things they've said (particularly about America) and done. I doubt he'd go any harder than Jon Stewart would.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he went with more of a "what the gently caress, Israel, we've kinda done a lot for you, giving you billions in aid and being kind enough to ignore that whole Palestine thing, and you're still bitching at us? Christ, talk about entitled." angle.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

And that rear end in a top hat is still Christian.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

And that rear end in a top hat is still Christian.
#notmychristian

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The Jeanette Rankin Women's Scholarship Fund (one of the three groups that John Oliver mentioned towards the end of the Miss America segment) has taken the time to send out personal, physical thank-you cards to everyone who donated in the wake of the episode.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

That's surprising considering the way he tiptoed around it during Protective Edge. Ideally he'll explore how batshit the country's become since the assassination of Rabin, but going into how much US money is sent there in return for gently caress all or how all criticism of Israel in US media is tramped down (which is more likely) would be refreshing too

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Exclamation Marx posted:

That's surprising considering the way he tiptoed around it during Protective Edge. Ideally he'll explore how batshit the country's become since the assassination of Rabin, but going into how much US money is sent there in return for gently caress all or how all criticism of Israel in US media is tramped down (which is more likely) would be refreshing too

Someone doesn't want to experience the second coming of Jesus, what kind of Christian American Patriot are you?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Oh so there wasn't a new episode last night. That's why I was confused when I turned on demand on and couldn't find anything since last week. (I bet they took off for Columbus Day, didn't they?)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

uublog posted:

Oh so there wasn't a new episode last night. That's why I was confused when I turned on demand on and couldn't find anything since last week. (I bet they took off for Columbus Day, didn't they?)

They have a web piece up on the YouTube channel where Oliver pisses all over Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

DivisionPost posted:

They have a web piece up on the YouTube channel where Oliver pisses all over Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

"Eggnog for morning people" is just tremendous :allears:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Here's something to whet your appetite before the next new episode.

Comedian John Oliver Has Actually Produced Investigative Journalism

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

Here's something to whet your appetite before the next new episode.

Comedian John Oliver Has Actually Produced Investigative Journalism
I was hoping for something new but it's nothing we haven't discussed in this thread or decided for ourselves.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't know that he has people who used to work for the NY Times Magazine and ProPublica. That's enlightening, at least, and shows that he's trying harder than most other media outlets.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Really this show is just what The Bugle would be with an actual research staff.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Really this show is just what The Bugle would be with an actual research staff.
I've been trying to go through the last couple years of Bugle podcasts and it's agonizing to get through Andy's non-jokes and John audibly laughing at them.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oliver is ripshit pissed tonight.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

DivisionPost posted:

Oliver is ripshit pissed tonight.

Seriously- you can tell, he talks faster the more angry he gets.

Honestly, this has been a really good episode. That interview was heart breaking, but it really drove the point home.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
God I love this show.

He, rightfully, ripped the loving poo poo out of the stupid bureaucracy for screwing those translators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Animal court!

• Locked thread