Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

is he really cos the game gives iu like thousands of epic bows and hardly anything else except for w/e u get from shiny tiles. funy

im at mission 20 and i havent gotten any more archers. you can turn some people into archers with second seals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

They should make all the levels really complicated again. I want to have to worry about getting a certain character to a certain village before the enemy burns it down, so that I can open up a sidequest in which another character can be recruited from the enemy team, and if that character reaches some support rank with some other character, you get a bonus plot scene in the third-to-last chapter. poo poo like that. All over the place.

Hmm that sounds cool but how about instead of that the levels are all flat plains with only 2 basic objectives and every enemy on the map swarms you at once???

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tharja's kid is an archer, and a drat hot one at that

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

I.N.R.I posted:

I got lucina amd It seems like Im basically invincible now .. kellam, tharja, anna and my avatar are my best chars. Ill resume my quest tonight

you are

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

mabels big day posted:

Tharja's kid is an archer, and a drat hot one at that

Does anyone actually keep her as an archer?

darealkooky posted:

in 7 if you don't go to a random house in a side quest you don't get canas, the only person in the whole game who can use dark magic

It's also an annoying rear end sidequest to get since it involves keeping green units from suiciding. But at least the house he's in is a red house which are the designated "poo poo you want is in here" ones so if you do manage to get the obtuse and annoying as gently caress requirement to unlock the mission you'll at least be able to get him ok.

Dec 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

in 7 if you don't go to a random house in a side quest you don't get canas, the only person in the whole game who can use dark magic

athos can too but thats a technicality

being one of two characters who can use dark magic is notable when the thing that kills the final boss easiest is one particular dark tome

this is one thing i like about 6, there's an alternate character + prepromote for nearly every class. now, whether those characters are worth an iota of your time is a different question

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Does anyone actually keep her as an archer?

She's holding a bow when she talks so it feels wrong to not be an archer

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
noire is a loving scary archer, bro

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

I.N.R.I posted:

is he really cos the game gives iu like thousands of epic bows and hardly anything else except for w/e u get from shiny tiles. funy

Noire is an archer and lots of ppl can be bow knights/warriors/assassons which can use bows.

But bows loving stink.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
there's an infinite amount of 1-2 range weapons so why use bows

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Doctor Goat posted:

This.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

longbow has 2-3 range

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Also its late but the chances of the support unit attacking increase with their support level and their combined Skill stats.

The support unit can attack if the main unit can attack, overriding their weapons range.

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

its pretty cool how the fire emblems that arent awakening have an answer to that question

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

01011001 posted:

its pretty cool how the fire emblems that arent awakening have an answer to that question

What is it

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

In my current game I lined everything up so that morgan would have highest possible Str. But I forgot that he is a tiny boy. So now I have a very small berserker wiping every map clean

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Ristolaz posted:

What is it

By having the longbows be really terrible :shrug:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Ristolaz posted:

What is it

you can't get an infinite number of any item you want

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

you can't get an infinite number of any item you want

this + stats being lower across the board so effective damage vs flyers mattered more + 1-2 range swords/axes/lances typically had high weight and poor accuracy relative to damage

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Archers are loving garbage and worthless compared to Mages.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

did a archer sleep with your ex gf or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You use Archers to gently caress flying units.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And everyone else, Mages can't take damage for poo poo and in a 1v1 battle unless an archer has insanely low resistance it can beat out a Mage.

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

more or less

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

01011001 posted:

more or less

Until you're up against pegasus units, or need 3 range in order to ensure that you won't get counterattacked by units with 2-range weapons in Apotheosis.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Slur posted:

Until you're up against pegasus units, or need 3 range in order to ensure that you won't get counterattacked by units with 2-range weapons in Apotheosis.

wind spells are just as good against fliers

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In general mages get hosed pretty hard by Flying Units due to being the physical class with the highest magic resistance. Archer is a good in between for like handling long range combat, one that an extreme like Mage can't cover and they usually get super nice crit boosts and accuracy too especially if you turn them to a sniper.

Every class has its benefits and flaws such is the way of Fire Emblem.

unless you are hector in which case you are literally a god

Doctor Goat posted:

wind spells are just as good against fliers

wind spells make it so mages can do their normal damage against flying units, they are still outclassed by them unlike archers who get a huge boost in damage against them

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
you could stack some copies of Mire with Armsthrift on a good Sorcerer

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Wyverns don't have high RES. It's pegasi that are mage-killers.

Dec 26, 2012

flyers are so situational a thing to specifically guard against. pegasi can be handled by just about anyone due to being made of wet paper and wyverns are better handled by mages due to not having resistance worth a drat. and its not like the good archers can take damage for poo poo either, both mages and the archers that can actually do things survive based on dodging

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
peg riders are so frail. dark fliers are kinda neat i guess

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Awakening does like to give Falcoknights super high stats compared to everything else for some reason.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
why would I use an archer and risk getting counter attacked and killed when I could just throw a loving hand axe at them and kill them

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
a hand axe that doesn't break and has an extremely high chance to crit and also let your buddy Worldfucker the Deathtrain do a support attack with one of the legendary weapons

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i'm glad awakening's supports work the way they do because supports in the other games can be annoying

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

darealkooky posted:

why would I use an archer and risk getting counter attacked and killed when I could just throw a loving hand axe at them and kill them

Handaxe, at D rank has 3 attack power, 70 hit, 25 uses and does normal damage to fliers.

The Iron Bow, at D rank has 6 power, 85 hit, 45 uses and does triple damage to fliers.

Bows are good if you realize that they're a utility weapon not something to base your army around.

Doctor Goat posted:

i'm glad awakening's supports work the way they do because supports in the other games can be annoying

I didn't know how you were supposed to get support ranks in the GBA games until two weeks before Awakening came out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I liked the way supports worked in Path of Radiance, but I'd have liked it even better if there were no limits on supports like in Awakening.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I liked the way supports worked in Path of Radiance, but I'd have liked it even better if there were no limits on supports like in Awakening.

They both work well for the game they're in. If you had PoR style gaining supports by how many missions they were together in with unlimited (save S rank) supports like in Awakening then you'd have your hold army A ranking eachother all at once and that'd be OP as poo poo.

FE14 totally needs to have boss enemies that use pair-ups.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

fe14 needs to not have pair up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

fe14 needs to not have pair up

this forever

por supports were the best as far as gaining support levels but what would be nice would be if you could gain unlimited supports but only slot 5 or whatever, like how skills work in awakening

• Locked thread