Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I dunno about the Vita version, but the 3DS' built-in note-taking function is the best and most fitting way to keep track of the passwords. If you do it, give us a couple screenshots of what it looks like after a couple playthroughs, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It took us a year to reach one of the endings. And we have nine characters.

I think Fedule is going to be quite busy for the next decade. :allears:

Nah, once you get one ending, you start breaking a lot of locks and getting endings quicker.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright, since it's just become relevant, I'm going to remind everyone of my policy on breaking Plot Locks (that aren't monumentally obvious).

I'd like to see people figure them out properly, but I can't just put them straight into the vote. So, basically, if I see the "solution" posted in the thread, it'll be added to the next vote we do.

(This will also ensure a good amount of extra stuff seen.)

John Lee posted:

I dunno about the Vita version, but the 3DS' built-in note-taking function is the best and most fitting way to keep track of the passwords. If you do it, give us a couple screenshots of what it looks like after a couple playthroughs, eh?

I am prepared to swear that the feature to which you refer does not exist on the Vita version. I've had a note on there since the beginning of the game.
E: I mean, the notepad exists. Just, like, I don't think it does the thing.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 10, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, the Vita version doesn't really have a good way of keeping track of those passwords and such in-game.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
Ending 1/9
You thought Quark planted the bombs? Too bad! It was me, Dio!

5/∞ bad ends reached

3/too many Luna betrayals (drowning a bag of kittens)

10/? rooms escaped

The oddly accurate guess award goes to theshim!

Conglaturation!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If there were 2 guys on the moon and one of them killed the other with a rock, would that be hosed up or what?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Tarezax posted:

This was my first ending. Boy was I confused.

Coming from 999, though, I did have the foresight to write down the password.

I also notice that I greatly underestimated the size of the helmets on those suits :v: Oh well.

Same here, I hadn't even gone through the cyan door yet (I was concentrating on clearing one door at a time) so I pretty much mirrored Sigma's "Bomb? what bomb?" reaction there.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
A world of million Dios is a worthy cause to fight against.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This seems to be the ending most people get first for some reason. At least part of it is that it has no plot locks but I wonder if there's more to it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hey, Sigma managed to do something heroic and helpful! It was also informative - now we have the key, and, I suspect, know who planted the bombs.

Also, I like it that the abrasive dick who's been a conniving, weaselly rear end in a top hat the whole time is actually evil.

Ha ha, the numbering of the bombs WAS deceptive! No one would think that there would be a "0" bomb.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Regy Rusty posted:

This seems to be the ending most people get first for some reason. At least part of it is that it has no plot locks but I wonder if there's more to it.

There's literally only two endings in this game that you don't need another ending to unlock. There's a pretty good chance you'd end up getting this or the other first.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

I consider this a total victory for the anti-moon party.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Clarste posted:

It's not like "being evil" is the end of the story. There's still room for the ultimate reveal that Dio is a douchey robot who has no choice to be a douche because of his programming. Despite his secret robot heart of gold.

Well, as a human clone, I think that effectively discounts the possibility of him being a robot. But if you consider his indoctrination as a Myrmidon to be "programming", then you're at least partially right. No sign of a heart of gold, though. Or any sort of figurative heart at all, frankly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh, there's another mistake, Fedule. Right after Dio tries to kill Phi with the rock.

"I went down the hell as fast as I could, half running, half sliding."

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thousands of Dio clones? gently caress it, this world deserves to die. Crash the moon into it or something.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
IT WAS I, DIO

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Was that long string of numbers that Sigma first found on the briefcase the Key needed for this plot lock with Alice?

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 10, 2014

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hey, the guy who appeared to be an insufferable abrasive rear end in a top hat was, in fact, an insufferable abrasive rear end in a top hat.

That's remarkably straightforward for this type of game :v:

I don't have the damnedest clue what we should do next so I'll pick a poll choice at random and let the crowd figure things out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, I assumed Dio was just some huge rear end in a top hat but it turns out he was actually the guy who set the bombs. Or one of them I suppose, he doesn't seem to be Zero and I doubt Zero would just let him do that.

Also, why aren't more people voting to hang with Tenmyouji. He punched Dio that one time, he's cool.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, the Vita version doesn't really have a good way of keeping track of those passwords and such in-game.

Thankfully it's easy to take screenshots on Vita so you don't really need to write them down.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Regarding the Plot Locks- maybe we can now accuse Dio of being the one who planted the bomb?.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Was that long string of numbers that Sigma first found on the briefcase the Key needed for this plot lock with Alice?

also interesting are the discrepancies between alice's description of the Myrms and their Org and Dio's.

alice talks about left as the leader, but dio says left died and that hes a clone of left.

this means something!

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Great to finally see an ending, and I have to agree about the amazing voice work.

I believe it was brought up in the thread before but the only actor I know (And I can't unhear it ever now) is Dio, played by the amazing Liam O'Brien. He also does the Ghost in Starcraft 2, Yasuo in League of Legends, about half the NPCs in Rift, and lots of other games and anime. (Be careful looking up his work in regards to VLR or just general collections for spoilers, obviously) He's got this kind of drawl that I just can't get enough of.

Thanks for all the hard work so far, Fedule. Looking forward to the other 8 endings!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Yesss, finally. I don't think this was the ending I got first, but it still really confused the heck out of me when I did get it. Now that we're actually hitting endings and figuring things out, the rest of the game should hopefully go a bit faster. VLR is almost as backloaded as a Brandon Sanderson novel, so from here on out the thread is basically going to be a glorious train of one hilarious/horrifying revelation after another. :allears:

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Zyla posted:

also interesting are the discrepancies between alice's description of the Myrms and their Org and Dio's.

alice talks about left as the leader, but dio says left died and that hes a clone of left.

this means something!

Most likely that Alice just had outdated intel on the terrorist group.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I'm preeeetty sure Alice just didn't feel like sharing that with Sigma. Not because it's a major, super-classified secret or anything; she just wants to cling onto what little credibility she can and "They're a literal douchebag clone army" might just work against her.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Well, Dio is the leader of the Myrmidons, and as a clone of Left, they're all given the name of Left. So her intel is accurate. Left leads the Myrmidons

Brother is the leader of Free the Soul, which is I imagine the nice, law abiding organisation which serves as the front for their goals, while the Myrmidons are their clandestine arm

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Someone smarter than me might be able to use the date and the position of the moon (a little under 2 degrees above the horizon) as well as its orientation to find out where we are.

It looks like a rising moon. Looking at this wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_2028_lunar_eclipse

My guess is Saudi Arabia or Egypt.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh, I assumed Dio was just some huge rear end in a top hat but it turns out he was actually the guy who set the bombs.

He is still a huge rear end in a top hat, though. :colbert:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe they want to get the being a dick to Luna out of the way first.

Anyway he had to leave behind his sweet hat to fit into the helmet so I consider this ending his loss.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
Well, this paints Dio as a likely candidate for the Alice murder. Not sure about the others, but he definitely has the motive, means and probably opportunity to do so.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

xeose4 posted:

Well, this paints Dio as a likely candidate for the Alice murder. Not sure about the others, but he definitely has the motive, means and probably opportunity to do so.

Also as the person who handcuffed Clover and Tenmyouji together. People forget that since it was so long ago. And he probably tried to Axe K in the back who followed up by spearing him into the wall.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
And the Old Lady as well. Man Dio was on quite the rampage on that path. :black101:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Fedule posted:

I am prepared to swear that the feature to which you refer does not exist on the Vita version. I've had a note on there since the beginning of the game.
E: I mean, the notepad exists. Just, like, I don't think it does the thing.

Hmmm. The text on the 3DS version would, I am sure, set off... something. Probably waves of amusing speculation.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Didn't we always sort of suspect him the most for all those things anyway? But moreso because he seemed like a raging rear end in a top hat who only cared about himself.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Catsworth posted:

Didn't we always sort of suspect him the most for all those things anyway? But moreso because he seemed like a raging rear end in a top hat who only cared about himself.

Yeah, but actually having the rear end in a top hat be an rear end in a top hat guilty of everything you accuse him of is surprising.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Onmi posted:

Also as the person who handcuffed Clover and Tenmyouji together. People forget that since it was so long ago. And he probably tried to Axe K in the back who followed up by spearing him into the wall.

I'm actually not sure if he's responsible for any other murders beyond Alice's. You can justify Luna's only if you assume she caught him in the act. If not, he has no motive. You can justify his motive for Clover's murder but not for Tenmyouji's. If he was willing (and able) to kill two people at once, why didn't he do it earlier? Why wait so long? People in this game keep splitting up at the drop of a hat! And why would he want to axe K? Where's the motive? It only makes sense if he was the killer and even then, only if K confronted him about it (then he'd have no other choice but to commit murder, which didn't seem to end well for him). And nobody knows who the Old Lady is, so why kill her?

I find this all too farfetched and, well, too neat for it to be a single killer. I can definitely buy that Dio kills Alice, and maybe even Clover, but the others have to be someone else's work. Quark always disappears conveniently and he's just as blond as Dio, so he might be an indoctrinated clone as well. He might be behind some of the murders that require less strength (like Luna's), though if that's the case, then all my talk about Dio's lack of motives also goes for Quark.

I think Phi committed some of the murders in that path. She's proven she's able to physically overpower Dio in this path, and willing to bash his head in with a rock. It's not unfeasible that she could impale Dio, and she has the motive. No clue about the others. K seems to be the type of person who dies because they foolishly confront the killer and think themselves safe. Whether that killer was Dio or Phi, it's unknown, but the problem is that there's a difference between overconfidence and utter stupidity. If you are accusing someone of murder, surely you don't turn your back on them? And if he was clueless and was betrayed suddenly, then where's the motive?

Obviously the key is the Old Lady. She's not there by chance. She plays a part in the story and the fact that she's the 10th person in the bunker further cements that one of the main cast is not actually a victim, but Zero. But is it Dio? I don't think so at all. The fact that he went in and planted a bunch of bombs means that either he's an accomplice of the real Zero, or that he was going to bomb that bunker for other reason and Zero turned his terrorism attempt into the new Nonary Game.

Ugh, sorry for the :words:, I just went into full-on speculation mode.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The speculation is the best part about this thread and reading everyone's theories is always a blast, so by all means. :allears:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

xeose4 posted:

Quark always disappears conveniently and he's just as blond as Dio, so he might be an indoctrinated clone as well.

I love how at first this seems like some little throwaway joke but then you realize in the light of what was recently revealed that being blond actually is a valid reason to suspect someone.

I'm mainly wondering about the women that Dio presumably fraternized with (or attacked or who knows what)... Maybe the old woman or Phi or one of the others is one of those women or a close relative? Maybe the bombs were meant to turn the object or evidence of his impurity into subatomic particles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

quote:

Obviously the key is the Old Lady. She's not there by chance. She plays a part in the story and the fact that she's the 10th person in the bunker further cements that one of the main cast is not actually a victim, but Zero. But is it Dio? I don't think so at all. The fact that he went in and planted a bunch of bombs means that either he's an accomplice of the real Zero, or that he was going to bomb that bunker for other reason and Zero turned his terrorism attempt into the new Nonary Game.

Isn't it possible that Dio killed the Old Lady and took her bracelet after sneaking in so he could join up and set the bombs?

• Locked thread