Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CitizenKain posted:

Spot the IT people:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/

"The top 10 percent of American drinkers - 24 million adults over age 18 - consume, on average, 74 alcoholic drinks per week. That works out to a little more than four-and-a-half 750 ml bottles of Jack Daniels, 18 bottles of wine, or three 24-can cases of beer. In one week."

Even in my student days I don't think I was that bad as an average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

wa27 posted:

Alphacard is pissing me off.

No, I'm not going to buy a newer version of your software that I purchased less than four years ago. That's bullshit.

Yeah that's fuckin ridiculous, I'd say you are morally permitted (legally be damned) to pirate that version of the software if they don't even feel like keeping the activation servers online.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just bump it up to your legal dept.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Just bump it up to your legal dept.

If only I had one.

I'll probably just try to get our Magicard printer working with Publisher or something. We only have like 15 new employees per year and the cards are pretty simple (name+photo)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't imagine that activation servers are worth having on such niche software products when you consider the overhead vs. the probability that someone is going to pirate ID card printing software. Maybe it's something that companies have to have to feel like they are truly enterprise ready.

Obviously in this case the overhead is tiny because it seems they just turn the servers off after a few weeks.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Thanks Ants posted:

I can't imagine that activation servers are worth having on such niche software products when you consider the overhead vs. the probability that someone is going to pirate ID card printing software. Maybe it's something that companies have to have to feel like they are truly enterprise ready.

They don't use activation to prevent piracy, they use it to force you to repurchase their software every few years. Otherwise people who use niche software like that would never buy an upgrade because the old version does everything they need anyway.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Today sending emails was impossible for my entire company. Why? Server outage with the email provider we use. So many phone calls :ohdear: If anyone is thinking of using 1and1 for anything think again.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
We use a hosted exchange provider for like 95% of our clients, and one day they completely hosed one of their edge routers.

It's probably the only time I was glad I was on-site dealing with home clients all day.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Simpleboo posted:

Today sending emails was impossible for my entire company. Why? Server outage with the email provider we use. So many phone calls :ohdear: If anyone is thinking of using 1and1 for anything think again.

I had an account with 1and1 for a while. When I closed it down to move exchange elsewhere, they refused to close the exchange account until the end of the billing cycle (another 2 months). While I could update all my DNS records fine to make 90% of email work with my new host, and emails sent to me by another 1and1 client ended up in my old exchange mailbox at 1and1. Their tech support shrugged and told me to deal with it until my billing cycle was up.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Booley posted:

I had an account with 1and1 for a while. When I closed it down to move exchange elsewhere, they refused to close the exchange account until the end of the billing cycle (another 2 months). While I could update all my DNS records fine to make 90% of email work with my new host, and emails sent to me by another 1and1 client ended up in my old exchange mailbox at 1and1. Their tech support shrugged and told me to deal with it until my billing cycle was up.

Intentional DNS poisoning in order to steal your data. Do you have a legal department?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Comcast talk....

I had posted a few pages back about my Comcast experience where in they had somehow setup 2 accounts for one location. It appears that posting to the @ComcastCares twitter account did actually work.

We where getting 1-2 collection calls per day for the second phantom account. Right after the guy from Comcast escalations called, the collection calls stopped as well. We also only received one Comcast bill this time.

Almost 2 months of dicking around with their customer "service" agents on the phone got nowhere. Make a post to their twitter account; fixed in 2 days.

I had previously thought no one could be as bad as Frontier at customer service. I was so very, very, very wrong.

You have to wonder though.. Why are communications companies so bad at communication?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My boss exclusively contacts one vendor via facebook, cause apparently all other channels yield no result.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

stevewm posted:

Comcast talk....

You have to wonder though.. Why are communications companies so bad at communication?

Because Comcast is engaged in a lot of outsourcing. Most likely it was a contracted outsourcing company that messed it up originally, it was a contracted outsourcing company's agents that could not fix it, and the issue was finally fixed by your tweets getting the attention of an actual Comcast employee.

edit: Since we are talking outsourcing, I'll add something pissing me off. Customer that has a maintenance contract with us fires all their telecom support and hires an outsourcing company to take over that function. They are supposed to do day to day MAC support and configuration. The outsourcing company hires a few of the old staff, and the rest is just random folks who can barely speak english and have no idea what a phone switch is. The old staff that was hired don't want to make waves at the new company, and to be honest, are perfectly happy to see them fail, so they are no help. Outsourcing company then considers every telecom related request a maintenance break/fix issue and sends tickets to us. When we push back it is a cycle of escalations and poorly worded emails.

SubjectVerbObject fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 9, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Because Comcast is engaged in a lot of outsourcing. Most likely it was a contracted outsourcing company that messed it up originally, it was a contracted outsourcing company's agents that could not fix it, and the issue was finally fixed by your tweets getting the attention of an actual Comcast employee.

True.
I myself had a similar issue with Cox. For some reason I was getting a config file for a DOCSIS 2 modem so I wasn't getting the speeds I was paying for on my DOCSIS 3 modem. Calling in did not help. Utilized DSLReports.com, got it fixed same day.

Man, having to do workarounds to get to an actual employee that knows their poo poo is stupid.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Man I feel for those clients. I just dealt with one who has been trying to get the ball rolling on a request for a :siren:YEAR:siren:

I told her to send me an email and i'd get it done. 10 minute conversation, I don't even know why she's still with us. If it took me a year to get a response that wasn't "can't be done, gently caress off" i'd certainly not be spending my money there.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Who the gently caress thought it is a good idea to build a ticketing system in flash and to make it go live in 2014?

HFX fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 9, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

HFX posted:

Who the gently caress though it is a good idea to build a ticketing system in flash and to make it go live in 2014?

Nephew of a C-suite sales dipshit?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Intentional DNS poisoning in order to steal your data. Do you have a legal department?

Nope. I'm a self-employed photographer, so no legal department and I handle all my own IT. Since I could still access the email through my 1and1 control panel it just wasn't a big enough deal to do more than complain to tech support (after the week of troubleshooting I had to do when I determined I couldn't get my parents emails).

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
User comes into the office stating that he can't delete a file on his computer. I go over and find that he's downloaded a zip file called starbucks_egift. It's got a starbucks_egift.exe inside, and with the way Win7 hides extensions, the user just thought it was a "cookie". He apparently clicked on this, found it did nothing so he tried to delete it. I disconnect the system from the network, start the anti-virus and move to see if I can google some info on this file. I come back to find the user logged in, network connected and the user apparently cancelled the AV process. "...you left, I figured you were done and I have work to do. It did nothing, so lets ignore this, it was just a cookie." I repeat that the user downloaded a file that wasn't work related, possibly infected his system, and he wants m to ignore it? I say I can do a 30-40 minute virus scan or take a day or so re-imaging his system. After a bit of back and fourth of just forgetting the issue I manage to convince him that I need to clean the system. This time I disconnect the vga cable and take it with me after I start the virus scan.

I want to kick him down a flight of stairs.

Another computer we pulled from the network is up to 230 files found. Multiple profiles, we now get to look at the network profiles and see if our AV is actually doing anything.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

That makes me twitch, and not just because the end user is an idiot.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
So you disabled their accounts and ports and alerted your security staff that they intentionally connected an infected machine to the company network and interfered with the antivirus software, against your direct instructions, after violating your access policy to put the virus on the machine in the first place? If they claim this wasn't intentional, malicious activity then let them argue why they shouldn't be fired.

To be clear, the point isn't punishment, it's that this is a series of acts that is obviously either malicious or so grossly negligent that this person doesn't care about the safety of the company, its customers, or staff, which is exactly the situation in which a person should be immediately terminated.

Oh and, you know, unfuck your security infrastructure so this doesn't happen again :psyduck: (how the hell can a user cancel an AV scan?!)

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 9, 2014

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I get the impression that they don't have a security team.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

internet jerk posted:

I get the impression that they don't have a security team.
Oh sure, but they have someone who is accountable for security issue, if only because it's the owner and he stands to lose the money. Who would you talk to if you found an employee embezzling from the company?

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Not something that I can get into, we have two levels of scans available, and to me as a bottom of the totem pole, I get to do on point system scans or remote scans. I can complain about the issue, but currently we have a massive issue of people just walking away from their systems without locking them. We have System admins and IT management doing it as well. We have IT services on the floor leaving a system with their log on open to the floor as they walk off to do what ever. I've asked several times to have a system in place to lock computers automatically, but the Sr. System Admin said that he's tried that, and nearly got fired for "making it difficult to do our jobs". Right now I just document every user I find with a system unlocked, what time and that I locked it for them. I have yet to be yelled at, but I'm pretty sure most of them don't know it's me doing it, or I'd probably get poo poo rolled by someone higher up the food chain. I'd go into more but I don't want to get into trouble really. I enjoy the job, but there are things here that drive me up the wall and I have no authority to do anything about it. Roll with it and keep going and keep my rear end covered is all I can do right now.

New issue, System admin 1 took one of my project PC's that I had finished imaging two days ago, re-images it without looking at what's on it and then takes it without replacing it. I had previously given control of two systems to another System Admin (2) so that she could assist a user who needed them with getting them installed, and on one, the software installed and vetted. So user comes in needing the system now as the time window to have it installed has opened and he wants it done NOW. Que System Admin 2 coming to me and asking me where the systems are and why I don't have them ready. I had to point here to an email detailing my turn over and documentation that I turned the systems over to her to get her to get off my back and try to figure it out on her own. After twenty minutes of her blowing up my phone trying to find it, I find out that System Admin 1 was the culprit. His reply "you should have had it labeled." It was, with a large sticker which he removed and placed on another system that was in the process of being re-imaged.

I'd like to throw him under a bus and take over his job.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

ptier posted:

HP Support. All of it. Finding the chat section on their website (I ended up googling) and tracking down any useful information which is littered over 5 or so different pages that mostly time out, probably because of redirects. Chat support is "usually" helpful when I get to them, but before I do it is a complete pain. I'm sure that splitting into 2 companies with arbitrary "enterprise" and "printers and PCs" won't cause this to be more confusing and annoying. Not at all.

HP support is the best because you don't have to chat or call them, just email HPSupport_Global@hp.com with a detailed description of your problem including serial numbers and they will dispatch a tech.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
poo poo that pisses me off:
Companies that refuse to send you any kind of documentation on their lovely product, then only have their support open 8-5 their time zone.

It wouldn't be too bad if they provided documentation, because then I'd be able to get most, if not all things completed without having to contact anyone. However, when I have spent an hour or so while we install the software & peripherals then have to keep calling back because I run into a snag here and there and you're gone for the day (They're East Coast, we're West Coast), I'm not gonna be very happy (and neither are my end users).

I'm writing up some crude documentation for us, but I feel like I'm wasting my time since no one bothers to read documentation. Still, at least if I have to do it again I'll have something to refer to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The loving sysadmin/desktop guy who explains every single thing he has to do every time I file a request, not in an attempt to convince me to rethink my request, but simply because he feels as though I should be informed as to the process. I don't care, dude. Just do the loving thing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

psydude posted:

The loving sysadmin/desktop guy who explains every single thing he has to do every time I file a request, not in an attempt to convince me to rethink my request, but simply because he feels as though I should be informed as to the process. I don't care, dude. Just do the needful, please.
You were so close.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
ASUS RMA service. gently caress them.

Sent in one of our laptops with a bad hard drive. They got it on Sept 19. Checked the status the next week (Sept 25) and the site claimed there was no record of it. So I figure I'll contact support and see what's going on. They claimed they didn't get the laptop yet, so I show them the tracking information that shows it was delivered on the 19th. They promise to escalate it.

The following week, still haven't heard anything from them. Check the status on the 30th and it says there's still no record of it. Contact support, and again am told that they haven't received the laptop yet. Provide proof of delivery and the guy tells me that the previous CSR didn't escalate the case. Annoying, but that's fine poo poo happens. He promises to escalate it. Check back the day after that, still no updates, contact support again. This time I'm told they have it and it's being worked on. Finally we are getting somewhere.

I get an e-mail on Oct 3 stating the laptop has been fixed and is ready to ship. Great! Except no tracking number but I assume they would just send it later. On Oct 7 I figure I should find out what's going on, since again no word about what's happening. Contact the CSR for the tracking number, he provides one and informs me the laptop has been shipped. Except the tracking number shows that they just created the label (that day, not on the 3rd when they sent the email) and hadn't actually given it to the carrier. I say as much but he assured me that it was shipped. I'm not convinced but at least now I can track it.

Contacted support again today to ask them what the hell is going on, tracking still just shows the label has been created and Purolator still hasn't received the laptop. CSR claims that the package has been shipped and that it should arrive any day. This time I argue with him and point out that it has not been shipped yet and what is going on? He promised he would be getting his manager to look into it and they will call me back.

6 hours go by, nothing. So now to twitter. Point out that they claim the laptop has been shipped but it hasn't been. What do they say? "You were misinformed. That was the shipping label creation date."

gently caress you ASUS. I am fully aware of that and have already argued with your CSRs about it. Why hasn't it been shipped? Did you close the RMA early or have you really been sitting on it waiting to ship it for a loving week? Why would you create the label days before shipping the laptop?

The best part was getting the "How did we do?" survey earlier today, before they had even shipped the laptop. I'm sure you can all guess how well they did.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Have an issue with a vendors appliance which I have replicated multiple times. Lodge a TAC case and set up a secure meeting session with the vendor. Show them how to replicate the issue and it magically works for the first time ever!

"But I didn't change anything!"

Ticket Notes:

---
As per the meeting you informed me that the parse was failing.
In the meeting we further tried to download the signature again and install it.
It was successful at this time.
---

Ugh I feel like a user today :smith:

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 10, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

A c E posted:

ASUS RMA service. gently caress them.

You should have a stack of regular commodity hardware such as RAM sticks, WLAN cards and harddrives sitting around for cases like this, so that resolution time is <2 minutes + reimaging. At least use a vendor that gives you next business day on-site service.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

evobatman posted:

You should have a stack of regular commodity hardware such as RAM sticks, WLAN cards and harddrives sitting around for cases like this, so that resolution time is <2 minutes + reimaging. At least use a vendor that gives you next business day on-site service.

Step 1: Realize that asus laptops are consumer oriented machines not suited for professional use.
Step 2: Buy something that is, and offers NBD onsite service.

Done.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

psydude posted:

The loving sysadmin/desktop guy who explains every single thing he has to do every time I file a request, not in an attempt to convince me to rethink my request, but simply because he feels as though I should be informed as to the process. I don't care, dude. Just do the loving thing.

Whoops, this guy is totally me at my job. Customer makes a request, I let them know how long it'll take and why (including what has to happen for it to work) and my clients have never been happier. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Unless the guy is writing you an essay, it could be way, way worse.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

dogstile posted:

Whoops, this guy is totally me at my job. Customer makes a request, I let them know how long it'll take and why (including what has to happen for it to work) and my clients have never been happier. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Unless the guy is writing you an essay, it could be way, way worse.
I think psydude's complaint is coming more from a "you know I'm a network engineer*, right?" point of view. The whole, it's not vanity but please expect that anything you know, I know too thing.

* - I think it's network engineer, I'm sorry if I'm off there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh I get that, i'm just saying that on the scale of things that are poo poo, that just sounds like someone who's too helpful for their own good rather than a "That loving guy!".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Actually, if he were just writing me an email it wouldn't be too bad. Dude literally walks into the office and then spends 20 minutes explaining what he has to do while I'm trying to work.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

psydude posted:

Actually, if he were just writing me an email it wouldn't be too bad. Dude literally walks into the office and then spends 20 minutes explaining what he has to do while I'm trying to work.

Oh right fair enough, that is annoying. I figured it was emails.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

psydude posted:

Sounds like our main exchange dude. It can be pretty annoying as you try to politely hint you don't really give a gently caress, but you can never accuse him of not explaining the issue or what he did to fix it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a guy who doesn't explain anything he actually does, but he'll tell you all the steps.

Click this and it prints!

Runs to the printer.

See it printed! Same thing as on the screen, now it's on paper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I appreciate people who run down the process because gently caress knows I don't get any formal training.