Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008
Just bought Reincarnation.

Its basically just a version of Carmageddon 2 with better graphics and physics.

Which is exactly what we all wanted. Great so far, even in the alpha state. Gotta play around a bit to get it working faster but drat this is going to be great when its finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Reincarnation is 40% off on Steam at the moment, you can get it and the old Carmageddon games for £11.99/$17.99/€14.99 for the next couple of days:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249380/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Crosspostin from the Steam thread:

Terminally Bored posted:

Nvm, found out that they put it on sale after deleting this thread:

And the game is apparently jumping from pre-alpha to release state directly in few months. So hey, chalk up another kickstarter that ran out of money, DF-9 style. Never buy Early Access games.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fine, so long they finish the game, and it's not buggy, I don't care. I'm not 100% confident that they can do that, since they keep skipping their live streams. But I'm not going to throw a poo poo fit that I'm now paying more for this game than the people who are getting it on sale now. Hell, getting the original first two games for free was nice, and not something listed from the Kickstarter.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE_Chris posted:

Just bought Reincarnation.

Its basically just a version of Carmageddon 2 with better graphics and physics.

Which is exactly what we all wanted. Great so far, even in the alpha state. Gotta play around a bit to get it working faster but drat this is going to be great when its finished.

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Crosspostin from the Steam thread:
Oh yeah, they did have that "no sale while the game is in early access" policy. If they just quietly deleted that post and then put the game up on sale afterwards... yeah, that's not how you generate goodwill or faith in your project. I hope this isn't an indication of Stainless running out of money to finish the game, but whatever it is it really doesn't look too good. :ohdear:

Welp, wait and see, I guess. I've had way too much fun with this game to want to see it end up as another failed kickstarter/early access release. :smith:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OH NO MAN posted:

I hope this isn't an indication of Stainless running out of money to finish the game, but whatever it is it really doesn't look too good. :ohdear:

Weren't they always shooting for fall this year as the delivery date?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How does Carma 1 and 2 run on Windows 7? Do you need to gently caress around to get them to work?
It's $12 a piece for each Carmageddon game on GOG at the moment and this comes with the alpha for this too so whatever, I'm happy if 1/2 run alright.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Croccers posted:

How does Carma 1 and 2 run on Windows 7? Do you need to gently caress around to get them to work?
It's $12 a piece for each Carmageddon game on GOG at the moment and this comes with the alpha for this too so whatever, I'm happy if 1/2 run alright.

The GoG versions run perfectly well, and you can adjust your resolutions and rendering options with them. I'm not certain that you can even do that with the Steam versions, they seem really barebones and pretty much just launch the game with DOSbox at whatever the native resolutions are. So if you really want to play the original two games, GoG is probably the way to go.

I did find however that you can put your GoG install into the Steam folder and it'll work, but that'd require you to own both versions and the only benefit would be being able to launch the game from Steam and farming cards or whatever.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hav posted:

Weren't they always shooting for fall this year as the delivery date?
Nobby hinted a couple of weeks ago that they might have to look into the whole fall release thing again, as it's looking unlikely that the game will be done by the time they planned. Which is all well and good as long as it does come out and has the stuff they've been promising.

King Vidiot posted:

The GoG versions run perfectly well, and you can adjust your resolutions and rendering options with them. I'm not certain that you can even do that with the Steam versions, they seem really barebones and pretty much just launch the game with DOSbox at whatever the native resolutions are. So if you really want to play the original two games, GoG is probably the way to go.
The Steam versions have the same Glide wrapper options as the ones on GOG (nglide_config, found in the DOSBOX folder for Carma 1 and the main folder for 2) and you can adjust all your stuff there, the main difference is that Carma 1 on Steam doesn't support the experimental Windows patch that was made for the GOG version.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Croccers posted:

Steam Carma 2 runs for me, which is more then could ever be said about my physical copy on Windows 7. Couldn't find any way to do anything about the resolution and haven't tried Carma 1.

OH NO MAN posted:

I hope this isn't an indication of Stainless running out of money to finish the game, but whatever it is it really doesn't look too good. :ohdear:

Yeah - I got super excited about this when I heard about the kickstarter and such - but I've been seeing very little chatter about this game on the internet - the subreddit has basically been dead forever and this thread doesn't really get much activity. I just bought in when they added Carma2 to the steam release, and almost worried I might end up regretting it. That said, of what I have played of Reincarnation, it seems good, it just needs more content and optimization. In particular, load times are painfully long for me, I don't know if that's just an issue on my end or something with the game/lack of optimizations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The loading times are long as poo poo, yeah. It's a lack of optimization thing.

Man, the Steam forums for Reincarnation are going full :byodood: right now. I wish nobby, Shane or someone at Stainless would say something about this whole debacle, because the silence is not helping. Of course, someone on the official forums (which are such a cesspool of fanboys and spergs that I usually don't even bother with them) made a thread expressing disappointment over this sale, and that was locked on the second page by a mod who called it "stupid". To be fair, that thread WAS getting really stupid because the resident ultrasperg had come in to do his thing, but I don't think that was why it was locked.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Is there any (hopefully easy) way to get the keys remapped in Carmageddon 2? Neither W nor S let you reassign in the game itself. I understand there's a way of pulling it off in DosBox for Carma1, but I don't think there's an equal option for 2.

I got Reincarnation off the daily deal on Steam. I didn't even know this was happening at all, so it was like a minor surprise Christmas for me. I want to give 2 another play, as its giving me a huge nostalgic vibe. Just, not with the default key layout.

I fired up Reincarnation last night for an hour, and free mode was somewhat fun, but it was a tedious experience. It put me on a glacier looking track, and I am guessing traction was reduced in light of that. There was much sliding off the edges of poo poo and resetting of both the AI and me. The opposing cars seemed to take just forever to destroy, and it kind of bothered me that no matter how I hit an enemy car, I seemed to have to pay more in repairs than I earned in damaging the other guy. It seems as though the pre-alpha / beta whatever build doesn't care how much debt you go into, and I'm content enough with that; there's plenty enough catharsis with ramming other cars to death that I'm not worried much about 'difficulty' having to be a factor.

The most annoying car that wouldn't just die on me, was a sedan that was pretty much bent in the middle about 25 degrees, so the front end was always up off the ground. If I came at it head on, I'd just nose under it and throw it in the air with minimal damage. If I came at it from the rear or sides, the son of a bitch would always turn around just in time for the minimal damage toss into the air.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

5er posted:

Is there any (hopefully easy) way to get the keys remapped in Carmageddon 2? Neither W nor S let you reassign in the game itself. I understand there's a way of pulling it off in DosBox for Carma1, but I don't think there's an equal option for 2.
I don't think there is. If you have a 360 controller, make an Xpadder profile for Carma 2 and use that, it works really well as long as you don't map the keys that are hard-coded to do a certain thing (like S turns sound on/off).

quote:

I fired up Reincarnation last night for an hour, and free mode was somewhat fun, but it was a tedious experience. It put me on a glacier looking track, and I am guessing traction was reduced in light of that. There was much sliding off the edges of poo poo and resetting of both the AI and me. The opposing cars seemed to take just forever to destroy, and it kind of bothered me that no matter how I hit an enemy car, I seemed to have to pay more in repairs than I earned in damaging the other guy. It seems as though the pre-alpha / beta whatever build doesn't care how much debt you go into, and I'm content enough with that; there's plenty enough catharsis with ramming other cars to death that I'm not worried much about 'difficulty' having to be a factor.

The most annoying car that wouldn't just die on me, was a sedan that was pretty much bent in the middle about 25 degrees, so the front end was always up off the ground. If I came at it head on, I'd just nose under it and throw it in the air with minimal damage. If I came at it from the rear or sides, the son of a bitch would always turn around just in time for the minimal damage toss into the air.
Yeah, the glacier map kinda sucks. The others are way better, especially the countryside level. (the city is cool as well, but it won't run well on any PC unless you turn your graphics down a lot)

And yeah, since the armor/power/offense upgrades haven't been implemented yet, it can be kinda annoying and expensive to fight some opponents (especially the cops) and you might need items to kill some of them. The opponent repulsificator is your friend when you're driving a fragile car or facing opponents who are too mangled to be hit properly. That, or pick The Plow as your car and laugh maniacally as you :killdozer: through everything.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't give a poo poo if they put it on sale or not if the final game is cool. Sperges gonna sperg.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I've had this 'carmageddon promo' on my phone now for a while and hadn't fired it up to play it until today. The most hilarious thing is that it looks nicer on my Nexus than it does on my pc. But the phone version doesn't give me that 3dFX logo that gives me a little sad knot of nostalgia.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah the PC version is straight up a DOSBox of the originals where the mobile port actually had some work done to modernize it. Hell it even has YouTube recording and uploads! I vastly prefer the iOS version save for the part where I'm playing on a drat iPad.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have a gift copy of Reincarnation. Free if you like that stuff. Add me on steam before someone takes this and I edit this post saying someone took it.

e: I think we have a winner.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 9, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah the PC version is straight up a DOSBox of the originals where the mobile port actually had some work done to modernize it. Hell it even has YouTube recording and uploads! I vastly prefer the iOS version save for the part where I'm playing on a drat iPad.

iPad hell, I play the iOS version on an iPhone and it's probably my favorite version of the original game. The only drawback is that it's on a device that sucks down battery power like crazy so I can't spend all my time at work playing it. And if I'm at home I'm not going to play anything on my phone because what's the point?

5er posted:

I actually just use an XBox 360 controller. The game recognizes it and there's enough buttons on the controller to do all the necessary stuff. The only drawbacks are that you can't use the triggers for gas and brakes because it doesn't recognize the triggers, and you're pretty much stuck having to use the joystick for forward, backward and turning.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

I have a gift copy of Reincarnation. Free if you like that stuff. Add me on steam before someone takes this and I edit this post saying someone took it.

This guy is a super dude - big thanks!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ooh, this game's on sale. But I heard they ran out of Kickstarter money and it sucks? :smith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ooh, this game's on sale. But I heard they ran out of Kickstarter money and it sucks? :smith:
No one from Stainless has said anything about running out of cash, everything I've seen about anything like that has just been a bunch of random nerds going "THEY'RE DOING A SALE BECAUSE THEY RAN OUT OF MONEY THEY SUCK IM NEVER EVEN PIRATING THEIR GAMES AGAIN :byodood:"

Even though going back on their word and deleting the post saying they wouldn't put Reincarnation on sale while it's in early access was a bit of a questionable move and I can understand why people are angry (and I'm not saying I'm not at all worried), I wouldn't quite lose all hope yet, at least until nobby or someone comes out and says poo poo is hosed. It's still a good game, even in this unfinished state.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I hope this doesn't mean that Nobby and Sim aren't going to do more livestreaming, out of fear of all the shrieking nerds spamming the chat. :ohdear:

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

This game has been sitting on my wishlist for 6 months, and now after I've bought it I start to hear how unfinished it still is and that development might be stalled. I'm dissapointed but not surprised that it ended up like that.
Of everything that I'm just now looking at the performance is the thing that concerns me most, can I even run it on my 6 year old Core2Duo and GeForce8800GT?
I remember reading that they had multiplayer going but has that made it into the game yet?

Nostalgia and hype are bad reasons to buy an unreleased game but I just don't learn.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Darn. This seems really cool and I love me some Carmageddon, but early access with even hints of failure to deliver nowadays is on the level 8 of "Nope. Nope! Stay the gently caress away" for me. 25€ non-discounted price seems especially steep for a bag full of question marks.

Videos on Steam paint a picture of a relatively finished game though, gameplay-wise anyways. Because of that, I'm kind of wondering what gives, though? Guess it's bugs and lacking content they're working on at this point? I'd imagine that shouldn't be an insurmountable task.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LookieLoo posted:

This game has been sitting on my wishlist for 6 months, and now after I've bought it I start to hear how unfinished it still is and that development might be stalled. I'm dissapointed but not surprised that it ended up like that.
Of everything that I'm just now looking at the performance is the thing that concerns me most, can I even run it on my 6 year old Core2Duo and GeForce8800GT?
I remember reading that they had multiplayer going but has that made it into the game yet?

Nostalgia and hype are bad reasons to buy an unreleased game but I just don't learn.

This is my old desktop's setup. It'll run, it'll be slow, and you need to turn down a lot of the settings, but it will play. Except for the chemical plant level sometimes. Load times are also a bear.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Fewd posted:

Videos on Steam paint a picture of a relatively finished game though, gameplay-wise anyways. Because of that, I'm kind of wondering what gives, though? Guess it's bugs and lacking content they're working on at this point? I'd imagine that shouldn't be an insurmountable task.
The actual build Stainless has (and which we saw on their stream a couple of weeks ago) is quite a bit further along than what they've released on Steam, it has a bunch of content that we won't be getting until the final release version hopefully comes out. The idea has always been that the early access version is more of a demo and a lot of the content won't be shown to us until final release (gotta have some cool new stuff to show off when the game actually comes out, you know), and content-wise the version we have on EA now is the one we'll get until the full release. However, that does not mean we won't be getting optimization and bugfix updates for the early access version.

This has at least been the plan so far.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

OH NO MAN posted:

That, or pick The Plow as your car and laugh maniacally as you :killdozer: through everything.

This is the only viable answer at this point. I wish I could drive the police APC from Carma 1 again though. Nailing that fucker and using it for the rest of my playthrough when Carma 1 first came out was a crowning glory for me as a kid.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

They really nailed the satisfaction with wrecking other cars in this game. I never stop chuckling at hearing "Wrecked em" and "All da wrecked ems" because it sounds like he's saying rectum instead.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

A lot of the power-ups are great as well, like the ones that specifically deform your car's geometry. On one of the streams Sim kept getting the one that makes your car stretch out, until eventually the car was like 25 feet long. It was so long that the car could just drive straight over all of the gaps in the ice course.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I appreciate this game for constantly reminding me of, or teaching me new juvenile British slang.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

OH NO MAN posted:

The team has been debating over the Reincarnation soundtrack for quite a while now, and at this point it looks like they're just going to let us play whatever songs we want to (which, frankly, is what everyone has been doing anyway). Nobby just said on the stream that they don't want to spend any more of their limited budget to secure rights to music a lot of players won't even listen to, so they decided to go with the custom soundtrack approach. I do hope they at least add the original Lee Grove tracks from the first Carmageddon to the default soundtrack, though, if only because you just know reviewers and idiots on the Steam forums are going to complain if Zero Signal is the only song in the game by default.

Nobby also mentioned that Kickstarter backers will be getting "all DLC for free forever".

One thing i never understood is why indie/small scale developers don't just link to a spotify playlist or whatever for a 'suggested' soundtrack. Is it tacky or illegal? Anyway, really looking forward to this. Remember playing the demo of the original on some terrible mid-90s Mac as a kid. 15min load screens were worth it. Wasn't gone on the Android one because of the controls.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

One thing i never understood is why indie/small scale developers don't just link to a spotify playlist or whatever for a 'suggested' soundtrack. Is it tacky or illegal?
Well, for one, Spotify is still rolling out across the world (They only just launched in Canada two weeks ago!)

I believe Euro Truck Simulator 2 just uses Shoutcast internet radio stations for your in-truck music, but that's by a Czech studio so they may be trickier to legally yell at than the Stainless chaps in the UK.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Re: Soundtracks, I heartily recommend Strapping Young Lad, The Berzerker and Combichrist for getting all the rectums.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Townsend's solo stuff is also pretty fitting.

That said: Satan's Ice Cream Truck.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Townsend's solo stuff is also pretty fitting.

That said: Satan's Ice Cream Truck.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Looks like we have Steam achievements now, including one called "Batwick Will Be... Disappointed" for completing all the laps in a Classic Carma race. :v: (gently caress you Batwick I like racing sometimes, leave me alone and go finish up that car splitting)

Also, Sim has left Stainless to work at Running with Scissors. Not that her departure is going to affect the development since she worked in PR and marketing, but the Twitch streams won't be the same even if they come back. :saddowns:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

OH NO MAN posted:

Looks like we have Steam achievements now, including one called "Batwick Will Be... Disappointed" for completing all the laps in a Classic Carma race. :v: (gently caress you Batwick I like racing sometimes, leave me alone and go finish up that car splitting)

Also, Sim has left Stainless to work at Running with Scissors. Not that her departure is going to affect the development since she worked in PR and marketing, but the Twitch streams won't be the same even if they come back. :saddowns:

I don't think I've ever finished a race in that manner since the very first Carmageddon 1 demo was released on PC game magazine cover disks. As for Sim, at least she found another employer with the same sort of cavalier attitude towards political correctness.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

OH NO MAN posted:

That seems like a weird place to leave to. I can name at least 2 games Stainless has worked on in the past few years which is more than I can name for RWS. What do they even do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Overbite posted:

That seems like a weird place to leave to. I can name at least 2 games Stainless has worked on in the past few years which is more than I can name for RWS. What do they even do?
RWS more or less died after their Russian outsourcing experiment (it's a long story...) with Postal 3 failed miserably, but then Postal 2 sold so inexplicably well on Steam that they managed to more or less reform the company purely off of that. They're currently working on a new Postal 2 expansion pack and a HD update/Android port of the original top-down game.

• Locked thread