Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Neato.

I got into a manual CRV a little while ago and I was like yeah ok for a second and then I realized, wait, this car is a loving manual?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

I waaaant to say that that is an American plate on the back but I am not sure. The person who posted the pictures (to this california, Bay Area fb car spotting group) was not the photographer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seeing as it's also the pre-refresh 2012-2014 CR-V, if that thing is in the US it's definitely a grey import somehow.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Is there any evidence to preclude that the CR-V received the diesel via an engine swap? Then again, I wouldn't have used such a new car as the recipient considering it would have probably been under warranty and surely there are older and cheaper options for recipient vehicles.

And why yes I have been researching the feasibility of performing an engine swap with a diesel engine that isn't available in the North American market in a recipient vehicle that is at least 5 years old and figuring out how to make it road legal in New Jersey. I'm contemplating a Subaru EE20 (which I hoping to have it make at least 180 hp) in a 2006-2009 Legacy Wagon or Outback or a 2003-2008 Forester (no older for uncertain crash safety rating reasons) if anyone was curious. :shobon:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY PLEASE

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Edward IV posted:

Is there any evidence to preclude that the CR-V received the diesel via an engine swap? Then again, I wouldn't have used such a new car as the recipient considering it would have probably been under warranty and surely there are older and cheaper options for recipient vehicles.

And why yes I have been researching the feasibility of performing an engine swap with a diesel engine that isn't available in the North American market in a recipient vehicle that is at least 5 years old and figuring out how to make it road legal in New Jersey. I'm contemplating a Subaru EE20 (which I hoping to have it make at least 180 hp) in a 2006-2009 Legacy Wagon or Outback or a 2003-2008 Forester (no older for uncertain crash safety rating reasons) if anyone was curious. :shobon:

look at the plate holder on the front

my money is on gray market import

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
definitely grey market, we've had Honda at my auction for years and I've never seen that combo once....and there's no way I wouldn't have

amazing lil car

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

General Wiggles posted:

I am a bad poster.

Ah, the Symonds Plains race track. That hair pin has been the site of many huge touring car accidents

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

e- those men look loving serious

e2- that's Ray Hendrick in the Fireball 11, I think it's a '36 Chevy with an injected "427" (probably 468ci)

e3- when you see the comically large part of that car quote this

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 10, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Mechanical advantage? Pfft that's for babies.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

VikingSkull posted:

Only marginally larger than my grandpa's 66 C10 wheel. Also no p/s.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

VikingSkull posted:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I bet that made a noise

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So classy, even the mechanics in their overalls wore shirts and ties

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

I bet that made a noise

quote:

The White Triplex (also known as Triplex Special and Spirit of Elkdom) was a land speed record car built for J. H. White and driven by Ray Keech. It was powered by three 27-litre Liberty aero-engines, for a total of 36 cylinders, 81 litre displacement and a claimed 1500 bhp.

quote:

The simplicity of the design also led to a farcical situation with the official scrutineers. The regulations required "means for reversing", which the White Triplex didn't have. Mechanics first jury-rigged an electric motor and roller drive onto a tyre, but this was unable to rotate against the compression of the three large engines, which could not be un-clutched. An even more Rube Goldberg-like contrivance was tried, an entire separate rear axle was fitted, held above ground until dropped by a release lever and then driven by a separate driveshaft. The device was ridiculous, and isn't believed to have been fitted during the record attempt itself, but it satisfied the scrutineers.

You drive 36 cylinders and what do you get

oh :sigh:

quote:

This record was raised to over 230 mph by Henry Segrave in Golden Arrow on March 11, 1929. Keech was asked by J. M. White to drive again, this time at Ormond Beach, and to re-break the record in the Triplex. Keech wisely declined, considering the car to be too dangerous. White then hired their team mechanic Lee Bible, a garage owner with no experience driving at these speeds.

On his first two runs, Bible was timed at first 186 mph (299 km/h) and then 202 mph (325 km/h), both below the Triplex Special's previous best and well short of Golden Arrow's standing record. At the end of this second pass, Triplex ran off the track and into the sand dunes, causing it to roll over and finally come to a stop 200 ft (60 m) further on. Bible was thrown from the car, killing him instantly. A Pathé newsreel cinema photographer spectator, Charles Traub, was also killed.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 10, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

You drive 36 cylinders and what do you get

Another day older and deeper in debt.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

he was ok

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

:v:: I SAID, I WAS IN AN ACCID- hold on, I'll call you back.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

revdrkevind posted:

Got a good chuckle out of this, thanks.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

VikingSkull posted:

e2- that's Ray Hendrick in the Fireball 11, I think it's a '36 Chevy with an injected "427" (probably 468ci)

Is that window extra large so that in the event he crashes they can pull his fat rear end out of the car?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Properly-used Porsche GT3 brake discs.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Hello Spaceman posted:

Properly-used Porsche GT3 brake discs.

The new Sport Chrono package

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CornHolio posted:

A coworker spotted this in the wild.

After doing some research it's a Citroen 2CV H-Van. I had never heard of it. I want one now.

Not 2CV, but Traction Avant running gear I believe. Still really cool, really slow, but extremely well thought out vans. You can fit tons of stuff in them.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

ehnus posted:

Not that great, I've heard.

Take years to come to a stop.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

CornHolio posted:

A coworker spotted this in the wild.

After doing some research it's a Citroen 2CV H-Van. I had never heard of it. I want one now.

There's a guy in my neighborhood who has one of these in bright yellow and also a DS. Has them in the garage while his Lexus sits outside.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

That's a small block. Siamesed center exhaust ports.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Not 2CV, but Traction Avant running gear I believe. Still really cool, really slow, but extremely well thought out vans. You can fit tons of stuff in them.

ah, the previous generation of Ram Promaster.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Always been one of my favorite cars.

I believe the story is that engineers working for Lamborghini were upset when Chrysler management wanted them to make the Diablo less extreme. So they quit and went out and formed their own car company, and the Cizeta Moroder V16T is what the Diablo was supposed to be.

Though turned up to 11, it would seem.

V16! transverse! Quad pop up headlights! Bob, we're out of cocaine!

It's actually two flat plane V8s joined together in a single block with some gears in the middle to send it all out to the transaxle out back, because a regular V16 would have been slightly less ludicrous than two engines.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TheFonz posted:

Is that window extra large so that in the event he crashes they can pull his fat rear end out of the car?

yes

Team140 posted:

That's a small block. Siamesed center exhaust ports.

so it is, and I should have known that at the very least because Ray was a southern driver and small blocks ruled there, the northeast cars had the big blocks

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

razorscooter posted:

It's actually two flat plane V8s joined together in a single block with some gears in the middle to send it all out to the transaxle out back, because a regular V16 would have been slightly less ludicrous than two engines.

Directly beneath the exhaust manifold, that black thing... it looks like a turbo, but I don't think it's a turbo. What is it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ehnus posted:

Flava Flav is working on bulking up his back and neck.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I know some of you will hate this but that noise is beautiful...

"The Liberty walk LB Performance Lamborghini Aventador LP720-4, equipped with Armytrix F1 Valvetronic Exhaust."

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=555996627833781&fref=nf

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

revdrkevind posted:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

88h88 posted:

I know some of you will hate this but that noise is beautiful...

"The Liberty walk LB Performance Lamborghini Aventador LP720-4, equipped with Armytrix F1 Valvetronic Exhaust."

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=555996627833781&fref=nf

I love Liberty walk's custom stuff, and this is no exception. Dear god that sounds angry :allears:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fucknag posted:

That tube-chassis racecar is (and also rotary-powered, apparently,) but the factory 3 is and will probably remain FWD forever. Maaaaybe an AWD Mazdaspeed if they go full retard this time around.

I initially missed the "20B" in the title, but knew instantly it was a rotary when I heard it idling (as much as a peripheral-port rotary can idle) out of the pits. Love the 3-rotor scream.

D C posted:

Just like their audio products, no highs, no lows, must be Bose Suspension.

I thought Bose's problem was ALL highs and lows, no mids? At least, that's the Acoustimass system.

angryhampster posted:

Chariot Races..NSW 1936

That is truly amazing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Content!

Spotted this on the way home a while back (sorry, digital potato, and the sun in the wrong place.)

(license plate. It also sounded nice and healthy.)

And just today, found this in the parking lot of one of our facilities shared with some other businesses:

Pretty damned cool.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:fap:

I love these odd engine packages.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Collateral Damage posted:

:fap:

I love these odd engine packages.

I take it you love the inline 8 all wheel drive ford Tempo then