Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tae posted:

Um...can someone tell me what's going on here?

That's from forcing AA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's from forcing AA

Where is that coming from, then? I don't have any gesodta thing going on, it's purely just the game running.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
CC makes me want to play chocobo's dungeon.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tae posted:

Where is that coming from, then? I don't have any gesodta thing going on, it's purely just the game running.

its coming from your gpu's control panel

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tae posted:

I blame The Nvidia Geforce Experience. Even if you don't have a Geforce.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm glad XIII is on pc now so some sleuth can hunt down that one single rock texture in the game files that that one programmer built for years of whatever

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I'm glad XIII is on pc now so some sleuth can hunt down that one single rock texture in the game files that that one programmer built for years of whatever

That was FF14 so you'll never find the rock

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Oh nevermind it was the potted plant in 14

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I'm glad it's on PC because apparently it's pretty fun. I just got the Paradigm Shift ability and am now able to spend CP randomly to unlock all sorts of things. It really opened up the battle system a lot.

The story actually makes sense so far as well! But I am sure that will change.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can practice fighting the battles by pressing x for 10 hours. Seriously this is the worst part of ff13, there nothing special you do in battles. Should of just let them battles be uncontrollable instead of you having to spam the x key.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tenzarin posted:

You can practice fighting the battles by pressing x for 10 hours.

Sounds good, that would give me experience with all video games ever.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ragequit posted:

I'm glad it's on PC because apparently it's pretty fun. I just got the Paradigm Shift ability and am now able to spend CP randomly to unlock all sorts of things. It really opened up the battle system a lot.

The story actually makes sense so far as well! But I am sure that will change.

It mostly makes sense from beginning to end if you are able to keep up with certain key vocabulary and names. Or at least that is how I felt about the story. Most complaints about XIII's story that I have read seem to center more around how memorable it is rather than the complexity at least when it comes to the first game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tenzarin posted:

You can practice fighting the battles by pressing x for 10 hours. Seriously this is the worst part of ff13, there nothing special you do in battles. Should of just let them battles be uncontrollable instead of you having to spam the x key.

Please note: You will lose a lot doing this. Please learn what all the classes do and how to make good paradigm sets and when to swap.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please note: You will lose a lot doing this. Please learn what all the classes do and how to make good paradigm sets and when to swap.

In boss fights? Sure.

95% of all other battles? X mash is the way to go.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Tenzarin posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much what you do for every other FF game that isn't 11/12/14.

Edit: Speaking of 14... this totally makes up for the ho-hum port of 13 in my book.

Varance fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 10, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SSNeoman posted:

In boss fights? Sure.

Outside of boss fights, 95% of all JRPG random encounters are won with one button.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

SSNeoman posted:

In boss fights? Sure.

I don't know about "the way to go" but it often works. I don't do it that way because it is really boring and slower sometimes. Not sure why anyone would unless they enjoy it or only care about the game's story.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Varance posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much what you do for every other FF game that isn't 11/12/14.

Edit: Speaking of 14... this totally makes up for the ho-hum port of 13 in my book.

Don't tease the octopus, kids! :allears:

That almost makes me wanna resub. Almost.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Varance posted:

Wow, I only played the first month. I really should jump back in soon. Are Ultros and Chupon enemies, or mounts, or ???

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Varance posted:

The ARR team continues to show how to get it done right in Final Fantasy. A Good Game.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Holy motherfucking poo poo, this is running three times as fast and smooth as my 360 copy of FFXIII

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
They should have borrowed a white man from Eidos Montreal that isn't an insane pedophile for a few days to get this piece of poo poo into a functional state.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I am like 4 1/2 hours into it, and I cannot understand how a normal human being could understand the story if they didn't read every single codex about the world because they assume you know the very history of what a Cie is. Combined with the most ADD scenery writing that jumps back and forth for the worst mood whiplash ever, I don't know how people compared this to FFX.

On the other hand, Snow sounds a lot better in Japanese when he sounds like a typical shounen jokester than gruff, manly Troy Baker trying to do the lines.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tae posted:

I am like 4 1/2 hours into it, and I cannot understand how a normal human being could understand the story if they didn't read every single codex about the world because they assume you know the very history of what a Cie is. Combined with the most ADD scenery writing that jumps back and forth for the worst mood whiplash ever, I don't know how people compared this to FFX.

On the other hand, Snow sounds a lot better in Japanese when he sounds like a typical shounen jokester than gruff, manly Troy Baker trying to do the lines.

Troy Baker Snow is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7dOOy8kBJY

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

This was the part that got me. It's not that the basic story is really all that complex - it's just told in an extremely poor way both from the language and the direction.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

Don't fib, nothing is preferable to Troy Baker. I'm convinced he's the only reason I like Snow, the most unlikable character in the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No, I really hate Hope by a country mile. There's also some really obvious translation changes made in Snow's dialogue, mostly him calling Lightning "Sister" a lot more. It's interesting yet kinda confusing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I would totally resub if I had time to play. To make money or have no money hrm.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hope is good, some would even say great.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tae posted:

It's not the first time they've done, like, codex entries that contain world info though. It's there if you want it. Otherwise just try to enjoy the ride and kinda bad story.

Troy Baker owns though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

dreffen posted:

It's not the first time they've done, like, codex entries that contain world info though. It's there if you want it. Otherwise just try to enjoy the ride and kinda bad story.

Troy Baker owns though.

There is a major big difference between how FF13 does it and how all the other FF's do it. You are never at any point actually explained what a Cie is. The most important figure/race/whatever in the world of FF13, and no one actually says "A Cie is-." It's so easy, Vanille's there as the pretend fish-out-of-water!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tae posted:

There is a major big difference between how FF13 does it and how all the other FF's do it. You are never at any point actually explained what a Cie is. The most important figure/race/whatever in the world of FF13, and no one actually says "A Cie is-." It's so easy, Vanille's there as the pretend fish-out-of-water!

They do say what a l'Cie is though. People who are banded by a god, (who get magical powers, though I don't remember if this is stated outright) who are in turn given a focus to complete and if not they become a Cie'th which are monsters. They cover most of that if I remember right, with the rest being expanded on in the codex stuff.

edit: I will agree that it gets real loving messy though when you're talking about this there's like five different 'Cie' names. Cie'th, l'Cie, Fal'cie, Pulse l'cie, Sanctum l'cie. Like, it can get real confusing. Probably more ones that I don't remember, too.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 10, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Varance posted:

Welp, guess it's time to resub.

I hope the inevitable Ultros/Chupon fight uses Grand Finale, that song doesn't get nearly enough love.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

dreffen posted:

It's not the first time they've done, like, codex entries that contain world info though.

It took more than a decade for me to figure out that FF8 had a codex.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

dreffen posted:

edit: I will agree that it gets real loving messy though when you're talking about this there's like five different 'Cie' names. Cie'th, l'Cie, Fal'cie, Pulse l'cie, Sanctum l'cie. Like, it can get real confusing. Probably more ones that I don't remember, too.

Here's the context I'm talking about. About 2-3 hours in the game, you are thrown into a train ride, followed by a battle on the highway, followed by a giant floating fortress and then they get branded by the Fal'Cie.

Only after they fall down on the ice ocean does the first ever explanation comes out from not-a-codex, and it was only about a L'Cie. Still no explanation what a Fal'cie or barely any mention. You can't do that 4 hours in a game, most of which is cutscenes?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
UR NAEM IS HOP CUS U GIV US HOPE

Although i would adore a moogle character named Hop who fights with a pogo stick, not gonna lie.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Kanfy posted:

Outside of boss fights, 95% of all JRPG random encounters are won with one button.

SMT says "hee-ho".

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

oblomov posted:

SMT says "hee-ho".

Hence the 5%.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dreffen posted:

They do say what a l'Cie is though. People who are banded by a god, (who get magical powers, though I don't remember if this is stated outright) who are in turn given a focus to complete and if not they become a Cie'th which are monsters. They cover most of that if I remember right, with the rest being expanded on in the codex stuff.

I really really do not understand how people get confused.

There are three terms to remember: Fal'cie, l'cie and Cie'th. Three. There are more terms to remember in a single chapter of Harry Potter.

Pulse is a place. A Pulse L'cie is just "A L'cie from Pulse."

Tae posted:

Here's the context I'm talking about. About 2-3 hours in the game, you are thrown into a train ride, followed by a battle on the highway, followed by a giant floating fortress and then they get branded by the Fal'Cie.

Only after they fall down on the ice ocean does the first ever explanation comes out from not-a-codex, and it was only about a L'Cie. Still no explanation what a Fal'cie or barely any mention. You can't do that 4 hours in a game, most of which is cutscenes?

This is straight-up wrong. Sazh explains l'cie in dialogue in chapter 2, long before that. Multiple characters do.

Sazh posted:

Listen to me.
When a person gets cursed by a fal'Cie, they become a l'Cie.
Then they get given a Focus, right?
How do I put this?
If they don't carry it out, l'Cie end up as one of those things.

Vanille posted:

Pulse fal'Cie and l'Cie are bad news. That's why Cocoon kicked them out. Live too close to the fal'Cie? One-way ticket to Pulse! That's the Purge in a nutshell

Hope posted:

What's my-? Pulse is hell on earth!

Lightning posted:

PSICOM, Guardian Corps...
Soldiers are soldiers, aren't they?
Pulse fal'Cie, and their l'Cie, are enemies of the state.
Tell a soldier to kill an enemy and you really think it's gonna matter what uniform he's wearing?

Within the context of the story, they tell you: Sanctum is one side, Pulse is another, fal'cie are things that create l'cie and tell them to do things and both Pulse and Sanctum have fal'cie. Straight-up in unavoidable dialogue.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

This is straight-up wrong. Sazh explains l'cie in dialogue in chapter 2, long before that. Multiple characters do.

To be fair, the middle two quotes require listening to Vanille and Hope talk, so of course people are gonna miss those details.