Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Look a bunch of pages back for how someone used logic to swap between accumulators and steam engines. They did it by enabling a grabber to pick up coal and put it in a chest. You can use the same logic to grab items from your main bus to a smaller bus.

That would only work on a priority system though, not a queue system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Joda posted:

Is it possible to set up proper logic circuits yet? I've been looking over circuits, but as far as I can tell this is not really an option. What I really wanna do is have a single bus belt that ferries down resources when a given production chain (Y)'s supply chest goes under a certain number of material X, and make sure that no grabbers along the bus take the items that are being ferried to Y. I'd also need a queue system, so that if another production line also requests X, its order isn't ignored/overwriting the order of Y. I already have a pretty decent idea of how I'd implement that if I had some basic logic gates and latches, but so far I haven't come across anything resembling this. Did I miss something? If not, does anyone know if this is a thing they might implement in the future?

Also, I know there are alternatives to busses at a later point in the game, but the :spergin: in me is pretty adament about making this thing a reality. I think my greatest weakness with this game is overcomplicating things for very minor rewards :v: (in this case less space used for busses)

You can make a state machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je4vbVv1Uf8

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Shintaro posted:

Also, read the game tips.

And check out the mini belt tutorials.
http://imgur.com/a/qQrLS
http://imgur.com/a/zrtmI

A logical conclusion they missed - burner miners can output to burner miners. This seems incredibly stupid to do, until you realize that you can have two coal burner miners output to each other so that they'll supply each other indefinitely, and then you can just walk by and control click them to remove the coal from them. No muss, no fuss, incredibly easy automated coal mining right from the get go.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

GodspeedSphere posted:

Can you recommend someone better? Because I just spent the past hour trying to figure out why my red and green research lines weren't working, only to realize that I hadn't told it to research anything. I really like the game, but by god the complexity is boggling.

This guy has an LP series based on setting up a large scale bus system, as well as a nice basic rail tutorial (he says he's planning on adding a tutorial for rail signals and such, which would be very useful):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwTLrdvrscYPXBZ3Z0kzX0g

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

This guy has an LP series based on setting up a large scale bus system, as well as a nice basic rail tutorial (he says he's planning on adding a tutorial for rail signals and such, which would be very useful):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwTLrdvrscYPXBZ3Z0kzX0g

You don't really need a factorio tutorial for rail signals; they function just like openTTD's block signals do. You can just use all of that documentation to assist you in your needs.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can anyone explain the relation between Watts and Joules in this game? I'm playing with Dytech Energy which means I need to think about which accumulators I want to use. There are accumulators that charge at 500kW, discharge at 500kW, and have a capacity of 150MJ. Based on my last nights power usage, I'm guessing that 150MJ is far more power than can be discharged in a single night at 500kW. I had my accumulators going at full blast and I only lost about 25% power over the course of the night (had tertiary steam engines providing power so I know my accumulators were at max). Wondering if one of the lesser accumulators would work just as well for my case, but I can't really figure that out until I know how long it takes a kW to make a MJ.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

FISHMANPET posted:

Can anyone explain the relation between Watts and Joules in this game? I'm playing with Dytech Energy which means I need to think about which accumulators I want to use. There are accumulators that charge at 500kW, discharge at 500kW, and have a capacity of 150MJ. Based on my last nights power usage, I'm guessing that 150MJ is far more power than can be discharged in a single night at 500kW. I had my accumulators going at full blast and I only lost about 25% power over the course of the night (had tertiary steam engines providing power so I know my accumulators were at max). Wondering if one of the lesser accumulators would work just as well for my case, but I can't really figure that out until I know how long it takes a kW to make a MJ.

1 MJ is a 1000 kW* 1 second; real time, not gametime so there is 416 seconds in one day-night cycle. Your 150 MJ will give out 500kW for 300 seconds, more than twilight and night last together.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 8, 2014

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

FISHMANPET posted:

A joule is a Watt-Second, so it would take 300 s to charge/discharge 150 MJ at 500 kW.
code:
150,000,000 W*s
---------------  =  300 s
    500,000 W
To put this in perspective, each game day is 416.66 game-seconds, and of that half is spent in dusk, night, or dawn and half is spent at full daylight.

E:FB

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Finished my retool of Scrap Mod.

Now includes recycling!

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
That's pretty bad rear end. Any idea if I can load this up in an already existing map, or will I have to start a new one?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
It should be fine introduced to an existing map. It *might* have issues if you're porting over a map with old scrapmod in it, but that's all.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
How do you change the mod load order, is it as simple as adjusting the mod list in the mod directory?

The salvage mod is working fine for base game items, but doesn't even recognize the Dytech or MoarInsterters stuff I want to reclaim. It's loading before both of those mods according to the mod list when I fire the game up, so my assumption is that the mod isn't picking up the recipes.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I should fix this, and I will, but in general:

Go to the info.json file for the mod. Under "dependencies" add "? modname >= version"

The ? before the modname indicates that it is an optional dependency; if the mod is missing nothing is affected. But having it as a prerequisite enforces mod load order accordingly (and having a lot of mods listed as dependencies also causes a generic 'this is a late-load mod' value that should affect other, nonspecified mods.

You can see that the existing mod has an entry for DyTech and F-mod, but Dytech has since been renamed and I never changed this. I will add it and Tree Mod and whatever other popular mods there are.

Edit: updated and uploaded.
e2: again, after adding MoarInserters

Loren1350 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 10, 2014

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Shintaro posted:

I should fix this, and I will, but in general:

Go to the info.json file for the mod. Under "dependencies" add "? modname >= version"

The ? before the modname indicates that it is an optional dependency; if the mod is missing nothing is affected. But having it as a prerequisite enforces mod load order accordingly (and having a lot of mods listed as dependencies also causes a generic 'this is a late-load mod' value that should affect other, nonspecified mods.

You can see that the existing mod has an entry for DyTech and F-mod, but Dytech has since been renamed and I never changed this. I will add it and Tree Mod and whatever other popular mods there are.

I'd suggest adding MoarInserters to the dependencies as well. The inserters are way cooler than the ones in DyTech as they allow you to adjust the output face for each inserter. You miss out on the high tech super fast inserters that DyTech offers, but IMO they're pretty unnecessary and if you find yourself relying on them you probably need to take another look at the area that you think requires them. Plus, they use the new inserter graphic, which looks a lot better than the old ones.

E; I should mention the only drawback I've run into; the inserters seem to disappear altogether if you try to disassemble them using construction bots, which is kind of a nuisance. Construction bots also don't pick up inserters that have had their output face changed, but I prefer that over having them disappear altogether.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Versions 0.10.10 and 0.10.11 are out.

quote:

Hello,

Factorio 0.10.10 has just been released, we consider this a stable candidate.

Edit: There is a problem with numbers/enter hotkeys that can be randomly disabled for the whole game.

Bugfixes:
Fixed that passive provider chest acted as active provider chest after game load.
Fixed that player turrets could be walked through after reconstructed.
Fixed that the starting chest in sandbox mode didn't contain some of the items in full stacks.
Fixed that the pause game control reset itself to default after every restart.
Fixed wrong directory name inside save (it was "currently-saving", now is the same as the save name)
Fixed that map2scenario didn't copy locale and script state to the scenario.
Fixed crash related to enemy pathfinding.
Fixed of wrongly reported amount of items the player got from mining machines/containers
Fixed entity icons of defender/distractor/destroyer robots.
Fixed that deconstructing transport-belt-to-ground would delete items they held
Fixed that deconstructing inserters holding items would delete items they held
The notifications of destroyed buildings are created only when someone other than player (or his machines) destroyed the building. This affects player destroying his buildings manually and also land-mine destroying itself on impact.
Fixed, that slightly more robots than needed could be send to empty provider chest
When unresearching (using script) the toolbelt, the items that can't fit it are inserted back into the player's inventory
Recipes changed by mods will be refreshed to original value automatically when mod is removed
Fixed crash, when opening save that contained mods that are not already present, that had the active crafting group selected to group presented by the mod (so it is not present anymore), the crash occured when the crafting menu was opened.
Fixed that items were moved into quickbar even when there was already stack of the type in quickbar (currently selected in hand)
Fixed the missing check of gun->ammo compatibility when putting the gun there using shift-click or when the gun was crafted
Fixed that the visualisation radius of throwables (the green circle) wasn't visible when the player was in vehicle
Fixed that the inventory didn't get sorted after the container couldn't be mined as all the items couldn't fit the inventory
Fixed that when enemy unit was modded to attack by destroying everything including itself crashed the game
Fixed that the player mined item event was not called when he got just part of the inventory
Fixed that it wasn't possible to start fullscreen game in other than the primary window. There is now settings in config in category [graphics] section: preffered-screen-index. Changing the value changes the display adapter (monitor) that is used. If many people use this feature in the future, we can put it in the graphics settings ingame as well
The number input box "consumes" only numeric input, other keys for walking or closing the still works when the field is selected. This is true as long as these are not mapped to numbers, bad luck in that case
Fixed that actions made in the last tick before closing the scenario due to error were applied again when different game was opened

Debugging:
Added option to turn off vertical synchronisation of the display (v-sync).
Fixed crash when starting game without config file.

Gui:
Progress bar showing electricity availability is now colored. Green for all required energy available, yellow, more than half, red less than half)

Modding:
Progress bar style enables to specify different colors for different ranges of values.

Scripting:
Added game.getchunks() iterator and game.ischunkgenerated(...) and game.player.force.ischunkcharted() methods
Pre player mined item event is called really before the player starts to get items from the inventory. Note that the change means, that the event is called even when the mine can eventually fail (not enough inventory to hold all the items). This means, that there might we could also other some other event, that will be called only when the entity is really going to be removed.

quote:

Factorio 0.10.11 has just been released, we consider this a stable candidate again.

Bugfixes:
Fixed that number keys and enter were sometimes randomly not working
Fixed that the pipe to ground was missing the health bar
Fixed crash on mouse over ghost of rail signal that was connected to rail destroyed afterwards
Fixed that the blueprint preview could go outside the window in some cases
Fixed the crash when the selection window of filter slots of cargo wagon is opened while the cargo wagon gets away (or id destroyed) and the filter is selected. Now the crash doesn't occur and the window is closed automatically
Show the logistic network areas when the deconstruction tool is in hand
Fixed that the long entity names permanently enlarged the sidebar
Fixed that downgrading container containing enough items to not fit into the inventory resulted in both the new and old container on the same spot
Fixed that wire connection isn't cleared when the wire is put away in godmode
Fixed that cursor for wire placing was inconsistent sometimes

Mainly bug fixes. Hopefully 0.11 is soon.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Version 0.10.12 is now out. This is the stable version.

quote:

Hello,

Factorio 0.10.12 has just been released, we consider this a stable candidate again.

Bugfixes:
Fixed that it wasn't possible to set a filter.
Fixed that fast replacing moved items primary to character, it made upgrading chests and machines not practical. Instead, when fast replacing, the content is always transferred to the new entity, when it can't fit, it transfers to player, and if it can't be moved to the player as well it makes the good old item bomb.
The right ui container is slightly larger, so it can contain the roboport info without enlarging.
The worm turrets are not taken into consideration when deciding enemy expansions.
Fixed that enemy expansion candidates were not updated correctly when base was destroyed.
Fixed that combat robots were on the map/minimap.
Fixed extra mousebuttons over gui behavior

Balancing:
The maximum distance of enemy expansion was increased from 5 to 7.

Scripting:
makefile, takescreenshot and removepath now use logger to report failures, minor fixes in the path verification

246 bug fixes between 0.10.0 to 0.10.12. Kinda a lot I would say. Nice to see devs who care about these things.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Hot drat I love this and this is basically what sold me the game, but this seems like a huge setup for what are essentially just a click away from building for 20. If you want to make something though like advanced circuits could you make a simple test that when a resource goes over a value in your chest it fires off a rock that just says "Yes you have enough PLASTIC to do this" and when all of them fire it goes "Yes we have the required number of resources, Start the program, put all the readyup stones back in their proper place"?

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Forer posted:

Hot drat I love this and this is basically what sold me the game, but this seems like a huge setup for what are essentially just a click away from building for 20. If you want to make something though like advanced circuits could you make a simple test that when a resource goes over a value in your chest it fires off a rock that just says "Yes you have enough PLASTIC to do this" and when all of them fire it goes "Yes we have the required number of resources, Start the program, put all the readyup stones back in their proper place"?

This is relevant to what you're describing:

The input chest represents your plastic inventory. The two smart inserters remove the green chip (your rock) from the output chest if plastic levels are too low, and insert it back into the output chest once you have enough plastic. Or vice versa, whatever you choose. You could also use logistic conditions instead of green wire conditions if your inventory and inserters are in the same logistics network.

The output chest would be directly wired to smart inserters elsewhere in your factory to start up chip production.

It's highly dependent on your factory layout but you're probably better off monitoring your inventory of advanced circuits and produce plastic on demand (from the chem. plant directly to a belt that feeds your assemblers.) I haven't played for awhile so maybe there are more uses for plastic now or you're using something like Dytech.

These aren't explained well, but here are some other logic gates. The 'and' conditional is handy if you rely on two or more different things to trigger something, like 'turn on green chip production if red chips are being produced; turn both on if blue chips are being made'. http://imgur.com/a/fn2UL

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I wish they'd stop loving around with multiplayer and get back to bugfixes about things that matter and content.

The people that are going to multi-play this (for more than a laugh) are in the minority.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Gibbo posted:

I wish they'd stop loving around with multiplayer and get back to bugfixes about things that matter and content.

The people that are going to multi-play this (for more than a laugh) are in the minority.

I'm looking forward to the co-op multiplayer kinda like the Anno 2070 multi. It'll be fun to split up, work on separate systems and try to hook them all together.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Multiplayer is the #1 reason I bought the game, and is 90% of the reason I was able to trick 5 friends into getting it too. Now they're all kinda mad at me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Evilreaver posted:

Multiplayer is the #1 reason I bought the game, and is 90% of the reason I was able to trick 5 friends into getting it too. Now they're all kinda mad at me.

This but without the mad friends because I haven't tricked anyone into buying it yet, because multiplayer isn't out yet :(

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Gibbo posted:

Yeah just like Minecraft! People hate building poo poo together!

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Mr. Wynand posted:

Yeah just like Minecraft! People hate building poo poo together!

Hatred will flow like oil the second an inserter places a copper coil onto a belt, and the entire population will run amok, deconstructing filled chests with full inventories oil storage tanks.

Factorio MP will be glorious.

e: vvvvv still glorious

snooman fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 3, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

snooman posted:

deconstructing filled chests with full inventories.

They "fixed" this so it no longer item bombs, you just aren't able to mine the chest.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FISHMANPET posted:

They "fixed" this so it no longer item bombs, you just aren't able to mine the chest.

This should be a setting that the host chooses.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
I think you can still do it if you try to swap in a chest with lower capacity while your inventory is full.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Happy Factorio blog post day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmi1lDRoBcc

:swoon:

(MP not released yet)

New enemy type coming up too: Spitters

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-55

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Boogalo posted:

Happy Factorio blog post day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmi1lDRoBcc

:swoon:

(MP not released yet)

New enemy type coming up too: Spitters

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-55

I don't think MP will be out in any sort for months. I mean, it's not dwarf fortress, but I expect indie games to have increasingly longer major release cycles as version numbers go up.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
For everyone who loves the game and wants it more complicated and harder, Dytech (Worst name. All I can think of is LOST ANOTHER LOAN TO DYTECH DOT COM~) just made a major update and is the best mod for the game right now, by a mile and change. It rules.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

ikanreed posted:

I don't think MP will be out in any sort for months. I mean, it's not dwarf fortress, but I expect indie games to have increasingly longer major release cycles as version numbers go up.

New blog post regarding release!

quote:

Hello,

we have only 2 weeks left before the 0.11.0 release date. It is scheduled to 31. october. All the things in progress are starting approach the finish line, but as always before the release, it will be tight.There are quite a lot of things we want to deliver and multiplayer (mainly for lan and low ping games until 0.12 don't forget!) is one of those, not even mentioning the backlog of bugfixes we need to go through before the release.[
:toot:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

For everyone who loves the game and wants it more complicated and harder, Dytech (Worst name. All I can think of is LOST ANOTHER LOAN TO DYTECH DOT COM~) just made a major update and is the best mod for the game right now, by a mile and change. It rules.

Dytech adds a lot of things to the game not all of which are useful, some of which are very imbalanced, some that are just plain bad, and a few really great things.

I wouldn't install all the dytech modules because it just creates this complicated unbalanced game.

Mods I'm using:
Belts+
BeltStorage
CleanPipes
TerminalChest

Dytech Modules I'm using:
Dytech-automation
Dytech-Core
Dytech-Energy
Dytech-Inserters
Dytech-Logistics
Dytech-Transportation

I think the rest of the Dytech modules are unnecessary and don't add anything worthwhile to the game they just simply make it more confusing and unnecessarily bloated.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 18, 2014

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What about automatic rail laying machine? Not using that for some reason?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

ikanreed posted:

What about automatic rail laying machine? Not using that for some reason?

I don't really use trains, never have, so no use for it. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ModeSix posted:

I don't really use trains, never have, so no use for it. :v:

Then you are a fool!

Trains are amazing, once you work out how the gently caress they work.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Neruz posted:

Then you are a fool!

Trains are amazing, once you work out how the gently caress they work.

I guess I just don't have the patience to learn a second logistics system.

Maybe in my next game I'll try out trains.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Trains won't be too difficult if you aren't going to run multiple sets on a single rail.

That said, I've died to trains more than biters at this point. Protip: exiting a moving train will leave you close enough to be ran over by the following cars.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

ModeSix posted:

You really should. It's actually pretty easy to set up a track with a stop at each end with a train with engines on both ends. Trains are simply amazing at transporting large amounts of items. They do take a lot of space though, so it's worth it to plan in advance.

Trains are also incredibly deadly if you don't look both ways before crossing the track. Safety first!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ModeSix posted:

I'd use more trains if there were TRAIN TUNNELS. That's all that I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Trains won't be too difficult if you aren't going to run multiple sets on a single rail.

That said, I've died to trains more than biters at this point. Protip: exiting a moving train will leave you close enough to be ran over by the following cars.

Protip: Play in sandbox mode then you don't have a player character that can die :v: