Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Poil posted:

Like, dried frog pills?

Do you think Hopper takes care of the elves' finances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

djw175 posted:

Do you think Hopper takes care of the elves' finances?
Could be, they're elves after all.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Who needs an accountant when you're living in a magical forest with a kickass hot tub?

What do you mean we can't afford the King's taxes?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Poil posted:

Like, dried frog pills?

:allears:

---

Ep. 52: One Froggy Evening

Hopper doesn't want to take his medicine. Sam intends to change that.

well sir at a glance I would have to say that he is loony

Of course we're going to read him poetry--

--except, as soon as Sam tries, he gets hit in the face with a water balloon.

Oh, let's just rile him up.

Sam whoops and encourages Hopper to bounce around. This only makes Hopper lose it again, so let's try riling him up some more.

Wow, he's really riled up now.

In fact, Sam's sick of this froggal abuse!

... bad idea? Probably. Sam attempts to reassert some control over the situation by talking about frogs...

No go. Well, maybe this guy will talk about Roland's quest with us.

yawwwwn

Well... well, fine. Let's throw a scare into this frog.

... SO TIRED OF YOUR FROG CRAP

Sam loses his temper and yells. This... makes Hopper so sad that it boots us out of the socialization.

The proper answer is to rile Hopper up three times, at which point he is so wound up that he's made himself thirsty.

Sam gives Hopper the tube o' broth and Hopper chugs it.

This makes him twitch violently. Eventually the twitching subsides and Hopper beams, a new man. Er, frog.

: Golly, that's good Hopper broth! I feel like my old self again! SPROING!

He puts the rest of the broth away for later.

: Thanks! Now I can go play with all of my froggie friends!

Sam turns to see these frogs. For a moment, there is silence. Then, from the depths of the koi pond:

: Wait a second... something's wrong. Something's very wrong. What has happened here? My froggie friends, they've...

um

So they have.

: Oh no! SPROING! We gotta do something to help them!

After a moment, he has an idea.

: Thanks for helping me escape that curse, ribbit! Can you help me get all these rascally frogs back home into the pond? It's this way, ribbit!

Hopper heads for the pond. As Sam moves to follow, evil black frogs burst from the bushes and pounce!

AAAA GET 'EM OFF GET 'EM OFF

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Fine, fine, we'll save some more frogs.

---

Video: Frog Broth/Evil Frogs

Covers both the socialization with Hopper and the evil-frog cutscene that follows. If you are only interested in the evil frogs, that cutscene starts around 2:13.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
hahahaha evil frogs

This game. This game series. :allears:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I love how there are so many options for Sam to be a jerk.

The evil frogs are also great. :getin:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 53: All Creatures Great And Small

When last we left our intrepid hero, he was being mobbed by evil frogs. Get close enough to an evil frog and it will leap to follow Sam. This part is easy.

All Sam has to do is lead them into the water.

The frogs jump around in the pond for a moment...

... then poof!

With great flashes of light and puffs of smoke, the magical waters of the pond transform them into normal green frogs.

Everybody cheers. Sam looks proud of himself.

And now the frogs will sit by the side of the pond and turn to stare at Sam with their creepy dead black eyes whenever he runs past.

I should mention that their names are Frog Zappa, Toad Nugent, and Bruce Sproingsteen. I have no idea who could have named them.

Anyway, Petal is upset again.

: Do you think the forest spirits would know why? Can you ask the statue?

... sure.

Ah ha! Let's go tell Petal.

: Now, it lies in ruins.

: Yeah, but I needed wood to make my hot tub.

: YOU?! You pulled apart the Temple?!

: To get wood. What... that's bad?!

: For a HOT TUB?!

: Well, what'd you expect me to keep the water in? Hopes and dreams? Hot tubs need wood.

Petal turns to Sam.

: Sam, the Temple is gone, but we can still make this space into an animal sanctuary! I have a Scroll that will give you what you need. Please bring the animals back to the forest!

Can't argue with that. Anyway, Sam goes fishing, mining, and treasure-hunting, and soon enough he has everything he needs.

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll?

: I wonder what amazing new blocks we can make with this?!

Well, I'll give you a hint: they're very natural. Sam gets Italian Columns in both Corner and Wall varieties--for sticking in corners and putting on walls, respectively--a pretty wooden Arbor, a giant Clover, giant Mushrooms in Purple, Pink, and Red, and two kinds of Hedge: a normal block-shaped one and a curving Corner piece. Also, he gets a Unicorn Statue like the one up the hill that talks to him. Let's go tell Petal we're done.

Sam's job is not to build a new temple but to restore the old temple to its former glory, so the game tells us what goes where and will brook no argument.

Sam is building these columns by fitting two half-columns together. Efficient!

Greenery everywhere! Also, a unicorn statue. Aw, it's pretty.

: Oh, Sam! That space looks even better than when we built it 14,230 years ago!

Hedgehogs!

A bear!

Raccoons!

Bunnies!!

A pug!!!

Petal is super enthused. Let's go meet the animals!

:haw:

The other bunny is... sigh... Bun Jovi.

Don't let the cutscene fool you: in-game there's only one raccoon. His name is Rocky. There is also only one hedgehog, and his name is The Hedge.

There are badgers here and there, but they are nervous and burrow underground at the slightest provocation, so Sam can't find out their names.

And, finally, the pug, Doggy Osbourne... wait, was this stage always here?

Anyway, it seems all is not yet well. To the unicorn oracle!

... heck yes! Let's do this!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: See, Leaf is a guardian of nature after all. In... in his way.

---

Video: The Return Of The Animals
D'awwwwww.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
'The Return Of The Animals' does have a small sound hitch in it; this one is present in the raw footage and even I can hear it. (Curse my ears.) There's even less I can do about this one, sadly.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
What's Petal complaining about? Thanks to Leaf & Sam they're going to have both Nature's Blessing AND a hot tub! What more could you ask for?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Toad Nugent? Bun Jovi? Doggy Osbourne?

And now we're goin to rock a unicorn in the face.

:allears: this game is amazing.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hopper sure loves to get sprung.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I bet somewhere is that forest ent Reznor composes pieces for a bat choir.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Okay, I admit that my elf-hate was prejudiced. Elves can be cool, just as long as they fight against their nature.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I told you this island was the best island. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Can we drown that jerk in the tub? Creating a lot of pointless work for passing wangdoliers to slog through, again. Bastard.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I was right, it was the hot tub that caused the problems here.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
The animal names in this game are amazing. :allears:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Air is lava! posted:

Okay, I admit that my elf-hate was prejudiced. Elves can be cool, just as long as they fight against their nature.

Elves are still bastards of the highest calibre, but Leaf is alright. Sure, it was more work for Sam... But he took down a sacred elven temple to make a hot tub and gave all the forest animals awesome names.

Leaf is truly the rarest of creatures; a likeable elf.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Yapping Eevee posted:

Elves are still bastards of the highest calibre, but Leaf is alright. Sure, it was more work for Sam... But he took down a sacred elven temple to make a hot tub and gave all the forest animals awesome names.

Leaf is truly the rarest of creatures; a likeable elf.

Put it this way: Of all the people we have encountered, Leaf Actually built a thing that he wanted by himself. Anyone else, and it would be "Oh wandolier, woe is me, I want a hot tub but have no wood. Fix it for me."

Leaf isn't just a likable elf, he rolled up his sleeves and made something. He's a peer.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

AJ_Impy posted:

Put it this way: Of all the people we have encountered, Leaf Actually built a thing that he wanted by himself. Anyone else, and it would be "Oh wandolier, woe is me, I want a hot tub but have no wood. Fix it for me."

Leaf isn't just a likable elf, he rolled up his sleeves and made something. He's a peer.

Yes, he built something. He has, in essence, taken back the privilege of creation from the chosen few and has brought it back to the common man. He has somehow freed himself from the learned helplessness and reliance on the King and his hired lackeys that plagues every Sim in the kingdom and ensures their complete compliance to Roland's rule

In other words, our next carrier pigeon care-package is going to contain a dagger with Leaf's name on it.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Poil posted:

Can we drown that jerk in the tub? Creating a lot of pointless work for passing wangdoliers to slog through, again. Bastard.

Poil posted:

pointless work for passing wangdoliers

Poil posted:

wangdoliers

You know what you must replace the temple with when we leave this island. You must.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Elves don't deserve a giant penis temple.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Serious Frolicking posted:

Leaf does. :colbert:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

"Size isn't important my friend. It's not what you've got, it's where you stick it."
Ebenezer Blackadder

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
You're all praising Leaf for building his stupid hot tub, but we're not even at his crowning glory.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
You guys are the best. :allears:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 54: We Will Rock You

Sam hurries down to give Petal this news, mostly because he wants to see her reaction.

Petal subsides in confusion, but Leaf is already on the case.

Could not agree more, Leaf dude. Sam will get right on it. After a little, uh, 'creative acquisition'.

First we're going to jump up along these shelf mushrooms to acquire the hidden chest that Doggy Osbourne unwittingly revealed to us!

Organic and Mana. 'Woo'.

Rotating the camera while Sam is up here reveals another chest, currently unreachable. Also visible: a solar panel. Still eco-conscious, elves.

Fortunately Sam has tools at his disposal.

... hey, there's a neat view from up here.

Somehow the Sheriff Ginny figure springs out of the chest even before Sam opens it! That's Ginny for you.

The job done, Sam tidies away his impromptu staircase and cleans up the stone debris. Leaf wants a bunch of Nature, unsurprisingly, and also some Elegant. I guess we are trying to attract unicorns.

Elves like mushrooms, right?

Sam also puts up some of the flowers from the Zen-garden-y set that he found earlier.

A couple of fancy columns for Elegance and we have rocked this job.

: The last step remains. A powered guitar of legend, Sam!

Leaf heads up onto the stage.

Nooooo problem.

Sam brings the wire down as unobtrusively as he can, hiding it halfway behind this old pile of stones.

Perfect.

WOOOO

The audience assembles. Leaf poses, back to us.

When the time is right--when he's feeling it--Leaf snatches his guitar from its stand and most righteously shreds.

The power of the RAWK turns us all into dancing fools! Even Petal!

Look at us go!

Look at the frogs go!

And the tiny animals of the forest!

The RAWK takes him and Leaf wails out the lyrics, such as they are.

He's putting on the hardest show ever! And lo and behold...

The unicorns return!

Everybody together now! Big finish! Smoke pots go!!

Leaf is so proud of himself, you guys.

'Conventional' is for poops, Petal.

Sam waves off Petal's thanks.

He'll accept this Scroll, though.

Also this one.

Night falls on the Forest Of The Elves. We can try to rest, although our ears are ringing.

Or we can just hang out with our new unicorn buddies: Lance and Spike.

Where to next? The spooky Spookane, or the creepy Cutopia?

---

Video: The RAWK Concert
... yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say that you should probably watch this one. Because, you know, rock and all.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Cutopia just has to have a slasher film theme.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, there was enough Rawk in that performance for a Hawk!

Also love the little exchange in the end,

Petal: "Thank you Sam, you saved our land!"

Sam: "Sure!"

Voting for Spookane, because while the Elves were rockin', they weren't knockin'? I dunno, I kind of lost my train of thought there in the end.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was really fun. To be honest, neither of these locations seem particullary interesting. But I hope cutopia can proof me wrong again. I hadn't high hopes for the elves after all.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Let's go for Spookane

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Magnificent. Can we take him with us, or is he too Elvish to leave the building?

Cutopia, so we hit Spookane at Halloween.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cutopenia.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
We shall go Cute, so that the spook is all the more spooky when we finally arrive.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

AJ_Impy posted:

Cutopia, so we hit Spookane at Halloween.

This sounds good.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
:siren: Voting is now closed! :siren:

Geez, you guys, way to force me to LP Cutopia from start to finish before Halloween. <:mad:>

I kid, I kid. Cutopia it is!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The six-string of the gods, AXCALIBUR.

Whosoever plugs forth Axcalibur in this sacred amp shall rightwise be crowned god-king of all rock.

Though really I just wonder what's up with that robot tree.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I was really hoping for a Pete Townsend-style windmill from Leaf but a unicorn finale is okay too.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Wrap-Up: The Forest Of The Elves

w-wait a sec

... she r tree!

Everything is back to normal!

So very normal.

One of the two elves will occasionally get stuck right here, freaking out because there is no door in the frog-berries patch. And yet, it's just a frog-berry patch with a hot tub in it. No house-like structure. Hmmm. I wonder if this could mean something?

Meh. Anyway. If one of the tiny animals finds its way to the beach near the boat dock, it will put on a mask and snorkel. :allears:

So! We saw Sam find the Sheriff Ginny figure. What else can we find here?

If Sam wades to the back of the koi pond, he finds this purple flower.

Let's not eat it.

Fishing in the big spot at the back of the island nets us the Sinister Boot.

If Sam rocks out on Leaf's guitar, and if he rocks out hard enough, the Rockstar Leaf figure will pop out! Rockin'.

We also have two unfinished Scrolls in our inventory. What about those?

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll?

He did! He finished Petal's Scroll.

: Great! Let's see what this Scroll unlocks!

In fact, it gives us a Solar Panel, just like the one that powers Leaf's guitar. Now we can produce our own electricity!

This is Leaf's Scroll. It involves a lot of Musical Notes and... Dead Wood. Hee.

: Great! Let's see what this Scroll unlocks!

And, of course, it gives us the Hot Tub for our very own, should we feel like despoiling any ancient temples.

Let's go turn in our collection quests! First, to Rocket Reef, in good company.

: Knock, knock.

: Who's there?

: Butter.

: Butter who?

: ...

Uh yes anyway. Hey, Vic, lookit!

: ... attic.

Ginny was indeed a pirate in the original MySims! Vic rewards us with Mana.

: From what I understand, they were released in a pretty wide run, but they're really hard to come by.

Vic gives us Simoleons. Onwards to Capital Island, to show Barney our fish!

: Sometimes when I go swimmin', they go right up my ear!

This unsettling news also earns us a bunch of Simoleons.

Whee! Mana for us!

Join us next time in Cutopia!

... the door the door there is no door help us sam help us find the door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

At least they are just stuck and not sinking in a pool with no ladder.

• Locked thread