Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

if you couldn't already see the link between liking final fantasy and learning disabilities i don't know what to tell you

well i have a learning disability so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

well i have a learning disability so...
do you like final fantasy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

do you like final fantasy

he's posting in this thread so no

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yes there is. You literally punch him in the face in LR.

You mean the guy who's name starts with a B, right?

But that's not "God." The cutscene with Cid says this:

quote:

Raines
Why? To restore the Maker.

Hope
The Maker?

Raines
The entity responsible for creating both humans and fal'Cie.
Long ago, the Maker departed this world, leaving the two races behind.
In a sense, human and fal'Cie are brothers; orphaned by the same parent.
As for the humans, they forgot the order imposed by the Maker. They began to war amongst themselves for the first time in history. The fal'Cie focused on recalling their lost deity and returning to its former glory.
This purpose lies at the heart of all their actions. Calling back the Maker requires a fitting sacrifice.

So, I dunno about you, but my reading of this was:
God > fal'Cie/humans

And Cocoon fal'cie wanted to bring back God.

Now the real mythology of XIII is:
B's mom
B
Etro>Humans
Lindsei>Cocoon fal'Cie
Pulse>Pulse fal'Cie

And the Cocoon fal'Cie were trying to bring back Lindsei who is two steps below from being God. Also God did not make both humans and fal'Cie, they were made by two separate subordinates of God.

This is why I didn't understand XIII at all. And once I learned all this, I said "gently caress if I care enough to understand if the game doesn't bother to tell me any of this BS."

Maybe this is a translation problem. If so, I couldn't say. I'm just going off of what my impressions were from beating XIII a couple years ago.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cake Attack posted:

Keep in mind this was the same guy who stopped playing FFIX because of goku so...

I beat ff9 before but on my completion run, I stopped when I realized it was about goku. FF13's story was more bland than the hallway simulator it was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

You mean the guy who's name starts with a B, right?

But that's not "God." The cutscene with Cid says this:

So, I dunno about you, but my reading of this was:
God > fal'Cie/humans

And Cocoon fal'cie wanted to bring back God.

Now the real mythology of XIII is:
B's mom
B
Etro>Humans
Lindsei>Cocoon fal'Cie
Pulse>Pulse fal'Cie

And the Cocoon fal'Cie were trying to bring back Lindsei who is two steps below from being God. Also God did not make both humans and fal'Cie, they were made by two separate subordinates of God.

This is why I didn't understand XIII at all. And once I learned all this, I said "gently caress if I care enough to understand if the game doesn't bother to tell me any of this BS."

Maybe this is a translation problem. If so, I couldn't say. I'm just going off of what my impressions were from beating XIII a couple years ago.

"God" created the Fal'cie who created the other races. It's really not complex. The entire point is basically that the Fal'cie are also basically giant robotic l'cie who are themselves at the whim of an even higher lovely god who is itself at the whim of an even higher lovely god.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

All l'cie are not targeted. It is just that any l'cie who is out in the open instead of working for the government is a l'cie from Pulse who universally have missions which involve doing nasty poo poo to Cocoon. This is also explained onscreen.

The dialogue in FFXIII isn't good to begin with and the translation is rear end-awful.

ImpAtom, you're confusing "explained onscreen" as "not unnecessarily obtuse." It's also a "where there's smoke, there's fire" situation because even once you get past the unintuitive vocabulary, which by the nature of how unintuitive they are makes them harder to remember and connect to in a basic way (oh hey there psycholinguistics class, you were good for something), you have a really shorty story with lovely boring characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

ImpAtom, you're confusing "explained onscreen" as "not unnecessarily obtuse." It's also a "where there's smoke, there's fire" situation because even once you get past the unintuitive vocabulary, which by the nature of how unintuitive they are makes them harder to remember and connect to in a basic way (oh hey there psycholinguistics class, you were good for something), you have a really shorty story with lovely boring characters.

FFXIII's plot is not really obtuse though. I mean the core plot is really simple with the only real bullshit being the Etro stuff at the end which is complete nonsense.

The idea that the words are 'unintuitive' doesn't actually make sense. People don't have trouble remembering made-up fantasy words in any other form of fiction.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, XIII's plot is easy to follow and I was never really confused by anything except the ending which was explained in the sequel, so whatever. It's not like it's the most confusing ending an FF game has had. The story's not necessarily good or complex, but hard to follow it is not.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I still am amazed that, he-who-shall-remain-nameless tried to defend that bullshit, with poo poo like "Well, if you read the ciphered latin on Odin's shield :words: how can none of you know that the oval thing behind Orphan that looks like background decoration is Etro's literal gate blah blah".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pesky Splinter posted:

I still am amazed that, he-who-shall-remain-nameless tried to defend that bullshit, with poo poo like "Well, if you read the ciphered latin on Odin's shield :words: how can none of you know that the oval thing behind Orphan that looks like background decoration is Etro's literal gate blah blah".

Let us not drudge up old demons, they're dead for a reason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The story itself isn't hard to follow, but it's the constant scene changing that makes it hard to really immerse before the scene editor decides he's bored and switches, but that's probably an entirely different issue.

Also, save points almost every 5 minutes. Why.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Let us not drudge up old demons, they're dead for a reason.

As always, old villains must return for the sequel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, no that is all bullshit. There's no excusing the ending which is straight-up bad but would probably be boring-but-coherent if you removed the Etro bullshit and just went with THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP or whatever.

Tae posted:

Also, save points almost every 5 minutes. Why.

Because they hadn't yet realized that save-anywhere was an option, basically.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thankfully My Hands is the ending credits theme so everything was redeemed thanks to Leona Lewis.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, no that is all bullshit. There's no excusing the ending which is straight-up bad but would probably be boring-but-coherent if you removed the Etro bullshit and just went with THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP or whatever.

That's actually what I thought it was, first time through. Which is why I was confused when everyone started talking about Etro this and that in the thread.

Beef Waifu posted:

As always, old villains must return for the sequel.

:lol:

Beef Waifu posted:

Thankfully My Hands is the ending credits theme so everything was redeemed thanks to Leona Lewis.

Stop it Beef Waifu, you're hurting me. I'd almost forgotten that song too :saddowns:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII's plot is not really obtuse though. I mean the core plot is really simple with the only real bullshit being the Etro stuff at the end which is complete nonsense.

The idea that the words are 'unintuitive' doesn't actually make sense. People don't have trouble remembering made-up fantasy words in any other form of fiction.

If you didn't catch what someone earlier was getting at with the "Firebolt" thing and the thematic vocabulary used in FF8 and other games, I don't know what to tell you except you are being purposely obtuse to defend a crappy game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

If you didn't catch what someone earlier was getting at with the "Firebolt" thing and the thematic vocabulary used in FF8 and other games, I don't know what to tell you except you are being purposely obtuse to defend a crappy game.

I did catch what they said. It's a pretty poor example. There are countless works of fiction which use words which are either completely made up or semi-obscure words which are not going to conjure images to specific people. (How many people who played FF really had a clear image of what an Eidolon was outside of the context of "summon monster.")

The idea that literally the only way you can introduce concepts is by using generic words in generic ways is one which seems to exist only for people who want to complain about FFXIII and how utterly confusing and incomprehensible its three fictional made-up words are.

Somehow people can read and watch Game of Thrones and hear khaleesi and not go "why didn't you just say queen?!" I mean the Firebolt example is used for a sport called Quidditch, which is played with Quaffles and Bludgers. Somehow people can remember what those things are after they're explained.

It's a bad story, but it is a bad story because it is poorly told, has bad dialogue and terrible cutscene direction, among other things. Trying to stretch it to "I am unable to remember three fictional terms" comes across as trying to find more to complain about when FFXIII already has plenty as-is.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 10, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

bloodychill posted:

When Graces F story is better then your game, something went wrong. It is worth the $10-$15 though either way, just to tool around with it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The ending song should have been Quarter to Three.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

I beat ff9 before but on my completion run, I stopped when I realized it was about goku. FF13's story was more bland than the hallway simulator it was.
Goku is cool and I enjoyed playing as him in a Final Fantasy game.

:goku:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nihilarian posted:

Goku is cool and I enjoyed playing as him in a Final Fantasy game.

:goku:

This was years before the meme thing on the forum, so suck it. Final Fantasy Z was a stupid twist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

This was years before the meme thing on the forum, so suck it. Final Fantasy Z was a stupid twist.
goku isnt a meme

edit: also it would have been more acceptable if squeenix's writers had based their plot on a meme on the something awful forums?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kefka being a bad final boss is a worse twist, actually.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

I did catch what they said. It's a pretty poor example. There are countless works of fiction which use words which are either completely made up or semi-obscure words which are not going to conjure images to specific people. (How many people who played FF really had a clear image of what an Eidolon was outside of the context of "summon monster.")

The idea that literally the only way you can introduce concepts is by using generic words in generic ways is one which seems to exist only for people who want to complain about FFXIII and how utterly confusing and incomprehensible its three fictional made-up words are.

Somehow people can read and watch Game of Thrones and hear khaleesi and not go "why didn't you just say queen?!"

It's a bad story, but it is a bad story because it is poorly told, has bad dialogue and terrible cutscene direction, among other things. Trying to stretch it to "I am unable to remember three fictional terms" comes across as trying to find more to complain about when FFXIII already has plenty as-is.

I mean the Firebolt example is used for a sport called Quidditch, which is played with Quaffles and Bludgers. Somehow people can remember what those things are after they're explained.

I'm not going to defend Harry Potter but it does use a lot of weird language. Meanwhile 13 uses 3 particularly strange terms in a world where many other locations, characters, and concepts do use familiar and thematic names. Those three terms are important and get repeated a lot so they stand out.

Beyond that, the underlying story is pretty simple so those unintuitive phrases which could easily been replaced with "chosen," "demi-gods/machine gods/celestials", and just plain "monsters" come off as forced, to mask how simplistic, silly, and badly written the story is.

I get your point: "cie" isn't the problem with 13. I just think it's a symptom of the more serious underlying problems it has.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I'm not going to defend Harry Potter but it does use a lot of weird language. Meanwhile 13 uses 3 particularly strange terms in a world where many other locations, characters, and concepts do use familiar and thematic names. Those three terms are important and get repeated a lot so they stand out.

Beyond that, the underlying story is pretty simple so those unintuitive phrases which could easily been replaced with "chosen," "demi-gods/machine gods/celestials", and just plain "monsters" come off as forced, to mask how simplistic, silly, and badly written the story is.

I get your point: "cie" isn't the problem with 13. I just think it's a symptom of the more serious underlying problems it has.
out of curiosity: how do you feel about the words esper, magicite, and magitek in final fantasy 6 when they could have used the words 'spirits, 'magic rocks,' and 'things what we made using those magic rocks'

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Literally every FF final boss since Kefka has been awful, coincidence?

Yes, yes it is.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it the only good final boss in FF is Chaos.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Beef Waifu posted:

Kefka being a bad final boss is a worse twist, actually.

Kefka was a loving sweet final boss. Every game since 6 has been righting down the slope!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kefka is actually very bad because only one part of the boss fights is good and unfortunately you need to go through four other parts before you get to it and there is an insanely boring boss song playing until you get to Kefka where it becomes Tarkus and good.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Beef Waifu posted:

Literally every FF final boss since Kefka has been awful, coincidence?

Yes, yes it is.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it the only good final boss in FF is Chaos.

Jecht was sick as hell and I liked trance kuja

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Endorph posted:

out of curiosity: how do you feel about the words esper, and magitek in final fantasy 6 when they could have used the words 'spirits, and 'things what we made using those magic rocks'

"summons" and "robots" are way better. a spirit could be alot of things!!!!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like the Ultimecia fight a lot except for the gimmick where you start with random party members because I only have 3 characters junctioned with good magic

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Yes, and you can do that with anything. It doesn't make it a necessary thing to do.

For one, fictional terms are marketable and even something you can trademark. If you use "chosen", it isn't distinctly belonging to your chosen IP. This is something almost all fiction does. It is why you have Titans, Mobile Suits, Mechs, Mechanicals, Battroids, Walkers and countless other terms for giant robots. It is why they're called Jedi instead of Space Wizards. It helps define your things, even if they are derivative of or connected to another thing. I mean Zombies are Zombies, but none the less you'll have Walkers and Infected and Ghouls and whatever.

And the fact that only certain words are fictional doesn't really matter. You can have fictional terms or concepts alongside straightforward words and will do so on a regular basis, especially in fiction. Game of Thrones to go back to an earlier example is a currently very popular piece of fiction and does that on a regular basis without people getting confused. In some cases those terms can become popular lexicon because of their connection to a fiction that is popular or liked.

Calling everything but the simplest and most generic name is not how anyone creates fiction. Well, for the most part. If you do it that way you get... well, Destiny. Which is the story of The Light fighting The Darkness because of The Traveller thanks to The Guardians while fighting The Fallen and The Hive. Fiction creates words. Sometimes (often) they are goofy, stupid or made-up words. It is just how it works.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 11, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

fronz posted:

Jecht was sick as hell and I liked trance kuja

Oh right I forgot, Trance Kuja is actually good and since Necron is just one fight it is better than most despite showing up out of nowhere. Jecht is cool too, unfortunately he is followed up by Yu Yevon who may be the worst final boss in an FF game ever.

Help Im Alive posted:

I like the Ultimecia fight a lot except for the gimmick where you start with random party members because I only have 3 characters junctioned with good magic

I don't particularly care for that fight too much, but it does a super cool thing where it integrates gameplay and story into one very well with Griever and is actually a super cool thematic thing when the story. Then Maybe I'm A Lion starts playing and I'm like "Yeahhhhh" even though the boss still isn't great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, and you can do that with anything. It doesn't make it a necessary thing to do.

For one, fictional terms are marketable and even something you can trademark. If you use "chosen", it isn't distinctly belonging to your chosen IP. This is something almost all fiction does. It is why you have Titans, Mobile Suits, Mechs, Mechanicals, Battroids, Walkers and countless other terms for giant robots. It is why they're called Jedi instead of Space Wizards. It helps define your things, even if they are derivative of or connected to another thing. I mean Zombies are Zombies, but none the less you'll have Walkers and Infected and Ghouls and whatever.

And the fact that only certain words are fictional doesn't really matter. You can have fictional terms or concepts alongside straightforward words and will do so on a regular basis, especially in fiction. Game of Thrones to go back to an earlier example is a currently very popular piece of fiction and does that on a regular basis without people getting confused. In some cases those terms can become popular lexicon because of their connection to a fiction that is popular or liked.

What if all final fantasy are actually taking place in the world of bioshock infinite??!?!

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yu Yevon is not a boss, he is part of the ending cutscene.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is one stupidly long ending cutscene then, especially if you got all of the Aeons.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

fronz posted:

Yu Yevon is not a boss, he is part of the ending cutscene.

You can't even die while fighting Yu Yevon, because every character has perma Auto-Life during that fight. In fact, it's a special Auto-Life with a different animation that gives that character a turn immediately instead of after a big delay. The only way to get a game over is if you deliberately petrify your whole party.

It's like that Sephiroth in 7 who comes after Safer Sephiroth, where he has 1 HP and Cloud gets a free Omnislash.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Beef Waifu posted:

That is one stupidly long ending cutscene then, especially if you got all of the Aeons.

It was a symbolic ending, like shirtless Sephiroth in VII. Not the final challenge, but in a fight scene all the same.

And yes, FF games have long endings.

EDIT: I had to spell this out :psyduck: Cake Attack might have a point here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Necron kind of comes out of nowhere but I've always thought he was a really fun fight.