Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Is that for really high quality meat? cause that's only 9 something dollars a pound which is in the price range of premium brisket here in the US.

Yeah it's from a pretty drat fancy butchers in a small village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Trastion posted:

You may want to call them or stop in ahead of time and ask if they can keep one whole for you when you want it. If they are a true butcher and cut the meat themselves they will have no problem with this. If they just sell already butchered meat then they may be able to request it from their source for you if you let them know enough in advance.

As for cooking time the flat will probably take slightly less time because it is thinner. Maybe just check each for temp separately and go from there.

Well here they are in the smoker, still there as of this writing:

Been there since 14:00, 20:30 ish now, haven't checked temps but they don't feel done.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
drat that looks good..

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Thanks, took them off the smoker now and continuing in the oven at crock pot temp (with water pan) as the meat still doesn't feel done. Chuck piece feels more done than the brisket which definitely needs more time.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So if my meat gets done early and I don't have a cooler, will the oven suffice for storage until dinner time?

Got two racks of st louis ribs on my WSM 14.5". Its a pretty small cooker so I had to cut them in half for it to fit on there but other than that they are beautiful. Did 2 hours unfoiled and 1.5 hours foiled. Just unwrapped them and they are nearly done. They have a nice hang to them-- meats pulled back from the bone and while I can still pick them up with tongs they are able to be pulled apart. Once they're off I'm gonna throw some corn in husk on there and let it go til about dinner time.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Oven works fine. I let mine sit on "warm" or whatever the lowest temp you can go is with the meat wrapped in foil. Also if you can pull your ribs apart you overcooked them.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Digital_Jesus posted:

Oven works fine. I let mine sit on "warm" or whatever the lowest temp you can go is with the meat wrapped in foil. Also if you can pull your ribs apart you overcooked them.

I was feeling good about those ribs but thanks for bringing me back down digital jesus.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Good thing people love over cooked ribs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Count me in amongst those.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
The smaller half rack was slightly over done but the rest were of larger size and weren't. They were great.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

sellouts posted:

Good thing people love over cooked ribs.

I want my ribs fall apart meltingly tender. I consider that perfectly cooked.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Thanks, took them off the smoker now and continuing in the oven at crock pot temp (with water pan) as the meat still doesn't feel done. Chuck piece feels more done than the brisket which definitely needs more time.

Last chuck I slow smoked ended up like pulled pork, and was the best beef I have had in ages. I hate to give up on brisket because of this recent "eh" experience, but I am having a hard time justifying the choice of brisket over chuck. Better flavor, more tender with less hassle.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I love smoking brisket and burnt ends are awesome but the price is getting a little ridiculous and it's harder to justify now.

I blame arbys.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Fog Tripper posted:

Last chuck I slow smoked ended up like pulled pork, and was the best beef I have had in ages. I hate to give up on brisket because of this recent "eh" experience, but I am having a hard time justifying the choice of brisket over chuck. Better flavor, more tender with less hassle.

I have to say I thought the chuck came out way better out of these two, but I think the part of the brisket I got was the one with the least fat content of them all. But I was disappointed with the brisket this time.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
People who like their ribs mushy are loving disgusting.

I'm talking to you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's cool and is exactly what I am saying. Glad you like them.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 12, 2014

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Woof! Woof! posted:

People who like their ribs mushy are loving disgusting.

I'm talking to you.

My ribs don't get mushy, but they definitely fall apart when you pull on them. It's probably a very fine line, and most people can't tell the difference anyway...

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

BLARGHLE posted:

My ribs don't get mushy, but they definitely fall apart when you pull on them. It's probably a very fine line, and most people can't tell the difference anyway...

It's a fine line that's for sure, you're just on the wrong side of it.
And the record will show that you were on the wrong side of history as well, you monster.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Falling off the bone is overcooked. I blame Chili's and Applebees for telling people that "falling off the bone" is good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PhotoKirk posted:

Falling off the bone is overcooked. I blame Chili's and Applebees for telling people that "falling off the bone" is good.

Well that's pretty typical considering that they're boiling the ribs

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

BraveUlysses posted:

Well that's pretty typical considering that they're boiling the ribs

I worked at chilis for years as a kid and the ribs were never boiled. They were placed in an electric smoker for a few hours then wrapped and chilled then grilled and sauced when ordered.

Can't say for Applebee's since I won't go there.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 13, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ribs should be edible with a fork but still offering some resistance IMO. If you have to rip off the flesh with your teeth then I would call that undercooked.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Or just cook them however you like because BBQ was born in America and it's a free country :911:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I worked at chilis for years as a kid and the ribs were never boiled. They were placed in an electric smoker for a few hours then wrapped and chilled then grilled and sauced when ordered.

Can't say for Applebee's since I won't go there.

I never eat at either but I'm legitimately surprised to hear this

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

davey4283 posted:

Or just cook them however you like because BBQ was born in America and it's a free country :911:

Nope, nope let me tell you how to eat the foods you like.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

All of a sudden this thread has become the Tumblr of Smoked Meat.

Sorry Catkin, cook your poo poo right.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

While we're discussing trite rules:

Anyone know how to cook a steak?

I heard well done was the best way...

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Jamsta posted:

It is if your inner spirit feels it is.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Woof! Woof! posted:

It is if your inner spirit feels it is.

Remember, you can taste smoke rings too!

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

To be fair cooking is definitely a choose your own adventure and all that but if you're gonna treat it like a goosebumps book why not just get a crock pot full of KC Masterpiece and dump some ribs in? If you've seriously done the googling to understand NO/CO interaction with Myoglobin and yet still think "fall off the bone" ribs are good then get after it, but it's loving gross by any real standard, not just KCBS Snake Oil.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Jamsta posted:

While we're discussing trite rules:

Anyone know how to cook a steak?

Well, anything less than well done is not completely "cooked". :colbert:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Woof! Woof! posted:

To be fair cooking is definitely a choose your own adventure and all that but if you're gonna treat it like a goosebumps book why not just get a crock pot full of KC Masterpiece and dump some ribs in? If you've seriously done the googling to understand NO/CO interaction with Myoglobin and yet still think "fall off the bone" ribs are good then get after it, but it's loving gross by any real standard, not just KCBS Snake Oil.

Do you get this upset when people render butts down to pulled pork? Is there inherent grossness in melt in your mouth pig flesh?

Mmmmm... I could go for a nice gelatinous hunk of pork belly....

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 14, 2014

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Woof! Woof! posted:

What is wrong with you?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Woof! Woof! posted:

hahaha this post owns but you'll never convince people so probably best to just drop it

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

If someone likes fall off the bone ribs why not let em enjoy it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If someone likes fall off the bone ribs why can't they be ok with saying the ribs are not perfectly cooked but rather overcooked?

It's the same argument.

I like underbaked cheesecake. That doesn't mean it's perfectly baked it means it's still underbaked.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

sellouts posted:

If someone likes fall off the bone ribs why can't they be ok with saying the ribs are not perfectly cooked but rather overcooked?

It's the same argument.

I like underbaked cheesecake. That doesn't mean it's perfectly baked it means it's still underbaked.

Because it boils down (Hah! Comedy!) to: "You're not doing it right! My way is the only TRUE way to enjoy XXXX! YOU ARE WRONG!" when talking about matters of taste.

Chacon a son gout, or if you prefer the Latin, De gustibus non disputantum.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

"Perfectly cooked" and "taste perfect" are 2 different things

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Nobody is saying you can't enjoy your ribs at Applebeas, I'm just saying you're stupid for doing so.
It's gonna be alright, I'm just a guy on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Woof! Woof! posted:

Nobody is saying you can't enjoy your ribs at Applebeas, I'm just saying you're stupid for doing so.
It's gonna be alright, I'm just a guy on the internet.

Is it going to be alright though? Are you sure?