Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morlock
Aug 22, 2012
Something I only just now discovered in Animal Crossing: New Leaf: if you trip and fall (due to bad luck) while holding a balloon, the balloon will slip from your hand and float away. Your character even looks up after it as it glides off-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bob Morlock posted:

Something I only just now discovered in Animal Crossing: New Leaf: if you trip and fall (due to bad luck) while holding a balloon, the balloon will slip from your hand and float away. Your character even looks up after it as it glides off-screen.

Hahaha holy poo poo, I don't even want to tell you the amount of hours I've put into that game and I've never seen that. That rules.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bob Morlock posted:

Bad luck, indeed. :smith:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I can play Shadow of Mordor in a window and scale it to whatever size I want when I want! :neckbeard:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I can play Shadow of Mordor in a window and scale it to whatever size I want when I want! :neckbeard:

This is something not a lot of games do, but it's very appreciated when I see it because it's kind of neat. I know Deus Ex: Human Revolution also does it, and so do the Sonic and Sega All Stars racing games, but I can't remember any more off the top of my head. For people without a whole lot of screen space, being able to physically resize the game window is a really nice boon.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Edward_Lapine posted:

After seeing many references for it and having a friend of mine recommend it, I picked up and started Persona 3 FES. I've played many video games that are from Japanese developers that have a setting in Japan but when the localization team gets ahold of it to translate it into an American/English friendly game a lot of settings, locations, and even cultures/customs get changed to relate more to an American audience. The Phoenix Wright series is a big offender of this and it makes it just seem off.

Not Persona 3, this game is Japanese and anime as all hell. Obviously the game is English translated but a lot of the naming mannerisms, currency, culture, and environments seem quite Japan. I'm not too into anime/otaku (says the SA account user), but I really appreciate this detail because it helps with :qq: MY IMMERSION :qq:

:japan:

The Phoenix Wright localization was pretty silly, but it was especially bad in the third game when a case features a kimono embroiderer who hangs out a maid cafe all day yet they still pretend it takes place in America.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Phoenix Wright localization was pretty silly, but it was especially bad in the third game when a case features a kimono embroiderer who hangs out a maid cafe all day yet they still pretend it takes place in America.

Early seasons of the Pokemon anime were like this, Rice Balls being called Doughnuts is a very famous example. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'll always remember that guy from his catchy marching theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEvJZb0SWs

Besides, "War Song" is totally an American name. :v:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I thought them putting in America was part of the joke though?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Accordion Man posted:

I thought them putting in America was part of the joke though?

It did feel like there was a tongue-in-cheek awareness of things like a village of Japanese spiritualists being a couple hours out of LA.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the localization team definitely poke fun at it enough that I suspect it wasn't their choice but a decision from above they couldn't fight.

No idea how they'll handle the next one though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kanfy posted:

I'll always remember that guy from his catchy marching theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEvJZb0SWs

Besides, "War Song" is totally an American name. :v:

Justice for All's OST was kind of weak but Trials and Tribulations was a real return to form. I love Furio Tigre's theme, that whole character was goofy as poo poo and awesome for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD0p7Ma0_kQ

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
I could have sworn that the japanese system of justice, courts, persecution, etc. was much different from the style presented in Pheonix Wright, with just a few callbacks to it. Granted I've never really played one personally.

I love how in Alien: Isolation, the space-station molestation investigation, the Alien will use all kinds of sounds you make to track you, and barge into a room you're cowering in when you bump into a stack of physics objects and send them loudly tumbling to the floor. And cowering is how you'll spend a lot of time in that game, whether it's in lockers, roller carts, or under desks, forcing you to cling to your motion tracker to figure out when it's safe to move.

The little thing is that the motion tracker makes those loud movie Pings when you're actively using it, Pings that the alien can hear, even though no other enemy can. Say goodbye to your hiding spot.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do they ever actually refer to it as the USA? I seem to remember them always saying "this country".

I like how This Country's manned spaceflight program is apparently a 5-man operation.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Oct 12, 2014

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Do they ever actually refer to it as the USA? I seem to remember them always saying "this country".

I like how This Country's manned spaceflight program is apparently a 5-man operation.

I think they specifically refer to their home as America at some point but I can't tell you where exactly.

Edit: makes the incredibly traditional Japanese towns in 2 and 5 hilariously out of place.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Moon Monster posted:

It explicitly takes place in California.
And they adapted Victor Kudo, the tailor who hangs out at a burger joint all day pretty well I think :v:

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Going back and playing through Skyrim, I found and read the book, Theif. The two characters are brothers named Eslaf Erol and Suoibud Erol. This was the first time I caught on to what the names are when spelled backwards.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Shadow of Mordor

When you cross the sea with your orc army , guess who was waiting for me? Grisha the Puny. That god drat punk kid who killed me, became a captain and then got a severe beat down from me at least 15 times only to finally die. or so I thought. It was good to see him, bag over his face and all. I know he's mostly skull with a few chunks of meat under there, so I felt good to see him alive and kicking. Infact, I alt-tabbed just to type this out and tell you all how PROUD I am of ol' Grisha the bag-faced, never-dying, puny son of a bitch. :D

I loving love this game. It can't get enough love.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Speaking of Shadow of Mordor, I went back to the first area to collect the things you collect, and decided to check on the orc army I'd annihilated except for one guy. In my absence, that one, puny little orc had just skipped right to warchief. He'd killed me to get promoted, and was only power 5 as a warchief. I decided to trigger his fight, had a caragor come up and immediately eat his face when he showed up, and that's when I got the "kill a warchief you raised" achievement. I expected that one to be harder, but it was pretty adorable. Poor little guy.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Arx Monolith posted:

Shadow of Mordor

When you cross the sea with your orc army , guess who was waiting for me? Grisha the Puny. That god drat punk kid who killed me, became a captain and then got a severe beat down from me at least 15 times only to finally die. or so I thought. It was good to see him, bag over his face and all. I know he's mostly skull with a few chunks of meat under there, so I felt good to see him alive and kicking. Infact, I alt-tabbed just to type this out and tell you all how PROUD I am of ol' Grisha the bag-faced, never-dying, puny son of a bitch. :D

I loving love this game. It can't get enough love.

On the flip side I have one captain that's a super loving pain in the arse to kill and not fun at all. Immune to Combat Finishers (The end of Flurry combos are Combat Finishers), Immune to Stealth, Immune to Ranged, calls followers, vault breaker, regens health and stays back from combat. He's a shield guy too.
Every time I kill him and he returns I just groan and seriously think about just exiting and restarting the game so I don't have to deal with him and hope the game kills him off-screen in a Power Struggle like the game did with Doucherat :argh:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Croccers posted:

On the flip side I have one captain that's a super loving pain in the arse to kill and not fun at all. Immune to Combat Finishers (The end of Flurry combos are Combat Finishers), Immune to Stealth, Immune to Ranged, calls followers, vault breaker, regens health and stays back from combat. He's a shield guy too.
Every time I kill him and he returns I just groan and seriously think about just exiting and restarting the game so I don't have to deal with him and hope the game kills him off-screen in a Power Struggle like the game did with Doucherat :argh:

Does he have any fears? If a captain is afraid they lose all their immunities.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cleretic posted:

-The trophy descriptions are fantastic. Someone seems to have especially had fun with the Mario ones; Thwomp's goes on about how they'd be a great home security system if only we could buy them, and Paragoomba's talks about people's fond memories of dying in two seconds flat against the first Goomba in Super Mario Bros because they forgot to jump.

Bringing this one back up, because the Smash Bros thread has told me something really awesome about it. It turns out that the trophy descriptions in Smash 4 were written by Shigesato Itoi, the man that made the Mother/EarthBound series.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cleretic posted:

Bringing this one back up, because the Smash Bros thread has told me something really awesome about it. It turns out that the trophy descriptions in Smash 4 were written by Shigesato Itoi, the man that made the Mother/EarthBound series.

That explains quite a bit. The descriptions are pretty much all great.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kruller posted:

The big troll things. And he can still be damaged by explosions but even the fire arrow skill has trouble keep up with his Regen.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

Kruller posted:

That is... useful information. OR WOULD HAVE BEEN YESTERDAY AFTERNOON

Okay, so to continue the long numenor flavor sloppy beej that Shadows of Mordor has been getting in this thread, the nemesis system is really good and at a couple beats in the story the game grabs historical badasses (guys who killed you a bunch) and drops them in front of you again, which is so awesomely comic booky that I actually get excited to see them again. "Oh my god, Skoth the Friendly! I missed your incredibly creepy self after I <fed you to a graug>/<blew up your head>/<old yellered you off a cliff>"

But one of my favorite things in games is dynamic enemy response patterns that evolve over the course of play, and Assassin's Creed: Arda has this in spades. At first the uruk are kind of indifferent to you, but as time goes on they start to recognize you as a threat, and later, as someone that they've seen die but who keeps coming back. Towards the end of the game, they start actually saying things like "alive again? You must have pissed off someone BIG" and "Not even death will have you huh?"

They actually start to pity you for your curse, which is so god drat cool

Also, the wraith/talion divide is handled really neatly and whenever Talion uses Wraith abilities, that part of his body turns to wraith light - as small a thing as his bow during bullet time, or his whole body when doing cliff dives. It's very visually interesting and really contributes to the otherworldliness of the color palette.

spider bethlehem has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Oct 13, 2014

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
Since Batman: Mordor Origins was produced by the same people who did the arkham series, I really think they should have incorporated a similar DRM to what they did in Arkham Asylum, specifically the wing/cape glide refusing to work, only in SoM have Talion not turn into the wraith when making AssCreed falls, with all the bad decision flailing and fall damage that would imply.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kruller posted:

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn guys who are immune to arrows stay immune to them even when running away.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Kruller posted:

They WHAT?! I thought that was just a way of making them run!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They do stay immune to arrows, because it's nothing to do with personal skill or ability that makes them immune, I assume. You can totally stealth kill a guy running away, though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

The Moon Monster posted:

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn guys who are immune to arrows stay immune to them even when running away.

Nope, dudes immune to arrows will not be immune once they're terrified. One captain was immune to arrows and terrified of Graugs, super fast and while he was terrified I just kept shooting him in the foot so I could catch up with him again.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

heckyeahpathy posted:

I just met a captain in Shadows of Mordor who didn't say anything. We crossed swords, and he just stared intensely at Talion for five or six seconds and then clicked his teeth together at him. Very unexpected and cool.

I had a captain like that. [Something] the Flesh-Render. He sort of snarl-hissed at me, then his lips peeled back and he snapped his teeth at me.

I had a couple of moments where I felt like a total badass in Shadows of Mordor over the weekend. I popped back into Udun to finish up a couple of side quests I'd left off (re-trying the Sword quest in the Ghul cave with an Epic Rune that protects me from poison, and having Fire Arrows available, was a big help in dealing with that loving Ghul Matron that kept killing me), and I stumble across a captain. So I set to work killing him, and just as I finish cutting his head off, another captain turns up. While I'm busy fighting him, a third captain turns up. I manage to kill both of them, and while I'm trying to collect the runes, a fourth captain rocks up and pretty much gets killed instantly. By that point, pretty much every other Uruk in the area had taken off running.

Then I go to finish up a Slave Uprising mission I'd left off, right in the middle of Durthang. I'm trying to be sneaky about it, but I end up aggroing every goddamn Uruk in the place and have to deal with two more captains in the process of clearing out some space to free the slaves. Finally I'm getting overwhelmed, so I Wraith Flash to clear some space, then leg it and hide up on top of the fortress while I wait for everyone to clear off. Only one slave left to free, but I end up triggering the alarm while I'm trying to free him, and end up spending some fifteen minutes on a narrow strip of land just outside the stronghold, fighting off wave after wave of Uruks. Finally I just leg it again, hide up on the ruins, and free the slave, complete the mission, and then take a break, because goddamn it was a chore I probably could have avoided by being more stealthy, but it was awesome.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I had a captain like that. [Something] the Flesh-Render. He sort of snarl-hissed at me, then his lips peeled back and he snapped his teeth at me.

I had a couple of moments where I felt like a total badass in Shadows of Mordor over the weekend. I popped back into Udun to finish up a couple of side quests I'd left off (re-trying the Sword quest in the Ghul cave with an Epic Rune that protects me from poison, and having Fire Arrows available, was a big help in dealing with that loving Ghul Matron that kept killing me), and I stumble across a captain. So I set to work killing him, and just as I finish cutting his head off, another captain turns up. While I'm busy fighting him, a third captain turns up. I manage to kill both of them, and while I'm trying to collect the runes, a fourth captain rocks up and pretty much gets killed instantly. By that point, pretty much every other Uruk in the area had taken off running.

Then I go to finish up a Slave Uprising mission I'd left off, right in the middle of Durthang. I'm trying to be sneaky about it, but I end up aggroing every goddamn Uruk in the place and have to deal with two more captains in the process of clearing out some space to free the slaves. Finally I'm getting overwhelmed, so I Wraith Flash to clear some space, then leg it and hide up on top of the fortress while I wait for everyone to clear off. Only one slave left to free, but I end up triggering the alarm while I'm trying to free him, and end up spending some fifteen minutes on a narrow strip of land just outside the stronghold, fighting off wave after wave of Uruks. Finally I just leg it again, hide up on the ruins, and free the slave, complete the mission, and then take a break, because goddamn it was a chore I probably could have avoided by being more stealthy, but it was awesome.

This is another great thing about the game. Except for one or two instances, when poo poo goes pear-shaped, all you're possibly missing out on is a 10% bonus in reward cash, so you're encouraged to just improvise. Also awesome is that even once the alarm goes off in a stronghold, nothing's stopping you from stealth killing someone twenty yard away who hasn't actively noticed you yet.

Really the only downside to the game is that you become too powerful, too quickly. Once Torz the Torturer, who started at level 18 and actively hunted me for the first third of the game, stopped being a real threat, I never really had to deal with the consequences of any action I took. It became an orchiavellian candyland.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

spider bethlehem posted:

Also, the wraith/talion divide is handled really neatly and whenever Talion uses Wraith abilities, that part of his body turns to wraith light - as small a thing as his bow during bullet time, or his whole body when doing cliff dives. It's very visually interesting and really contributes to the otherworldliness of the color palette.

The way they work together makes me feel like I'm playing Banjo-Kazooie. I wish there was a way to hop on the Wraith's back, and he could just tip-toe really quickly up steep slopes.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

heckyeahpathy posted:

This is another great thing about the game. Except for one or two instances, when poo poo goes pear-shaped, all you're possibly missing out on is a 10% bonus in reward cash, so you're encouraged to just improvise. Also awesome is that even once the alarm goes off in a stronghold, nothing's stopping you from stealth killing someone twenty yard away who hasn't actively noticed you yet.

Really the only downside to the game is that you become too powerful, too quickly. Once Torz the Torturer, who started at level 18 and actively hunted me for the first third of the game, stopped being a real threat, I never really had to deal with the consequences of any action I took. It became an orchiavellian candyland.

I like how they make up with this in the second region by giving more buffs to captains. Poison, bleeding damage, all that stuff. I had one guy who got me down on my knees in two hits. That guy wasn't messing around. And then I cut his head off.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 3: Starting a new game+ for the first time, I noticed that many of the background characters in the first few scenes of you walking home from school and visiting the mall are people you'll later make social links with or otherwise recognize down the road.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

N. Senada posted:

I like how they make up with this in the second region by giving more buffs to captains. Poison, bleeding damage, all that stuff. I had one guy who got me down on my knees in two hits. That guy wasn't messing around. And then I cut his head off.

You'll get those if you hang out in the first region for long enough, but yeah, they definitely seem a lot stronger in New Zealand.

I've been recommending this to all of my friends, but if you want the game to remain challenging, don't upgrade Talion's health, Celevision, or Elf-Shot past level one or two. You're not missing any rune slots or special abilities that way, it remains challenging simply because you can't make as many mistakes or you can't pop into infinite slow-mo to kill everything giving you a problem.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

infinite slow-mo

I had 3 runes on my bow that were all 30+% chance to recover focus on headshot. They must have stacks or all run independantly, because I could pick off as many orcs as I had shots without focus running out. Couple combat brands later, run ahead of the group, pop, pop, pop. Watchin' Uruks.. flail about and then proceed to drop.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Arx Monolith posted:

I had 3 runes on my bow that were all 30+% chance to recover focus on headshot. They must have stacks or all run independantly, because I could pick off as many orcs as I had shots without focus running out. Couple combat brands later, run ahead of the group, pop, pop, pop. Watchin' Uruks.. flail about and then proceed to drop.

Yeah, percentual runes like that stack additively. As long as you've got sufficient free slots it's pretty easy to get certain effects to have a 100% chance. Fortunately becoming ridiculously overpowered is really just part of the fun towards the end.

Probably my favourite thing about Shadows of Mordor are the orc captains called "The Friendly". One time I was sneaking up on this guy and tried to brutally murder him with my dagger by jumping on his back from above. He just catches me, throws me off of himself, and then spreads his arms, gets a huge grin on his face and goes :haw:: "My lad!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

heckyeahpathy posted:

I just met a captain in Shadows of Mordor who didn't say anything. We crossed swords, and he just stared intensely at Talion for five or six seconds and then clicked his teeth together at him. Very unexpected and cool.

I got the same one and he was with a warchief that did nothing but inhale sharply through his nose and giggle maniacally at me. Those two freaked me out a bit.