Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Can solo demons steal poo poo from shops in this one? They seem to stare at the windows mostly.

No they can't. The old man's shop can't be accessed using the demon and pestering any other shopkeepers with a demon doesn't do anything special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh I'm so loving frustrated with the final boss of Persona 3 FES I lost to him like four times now and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Three times I got near the end where he starts to do that terrible rain attack and it always seems to gently caress me.

I'm like level 79 with some pretty good personas going with Akihito, Mitsuru, and Yukari. Should I grind some more with different characters or are there some special personae I should look for?

Or should I just watch the ending on YouTube and take the hit to my "gamer cred"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cmykjester posted:

Ugh I'm so loving frustrated with the final boss of Persona 3 FES I lost to him like four times now and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Three times I got near the end where he starts to do that terrible rain attack and it always seems to gently caress me.

I'm like level 79 with some pretty good personas going with Akihito, Mitsuru, and Yukari. Should I grind some more with different characters or are there some special personae I should look for?

Or should I just watch the ending on YouTube and take the hit to my "gamer cred"

Do you have the bonus dungeon unlocked yet? If so then just go grind in there as all the shadows are really strong and give a nice amount of exp, especially if you can exploit their weaknesses which at this point should not be a problem.

Out of curiosity what Personas do you have and what level are your teammates? In terms of party composition I think Junpei is a better choice then Akihito due to having regeneration. Also if you have an earlier save file then you could also go about making ultimate weapons for your entire team which should also help out as they give +10 to all stats.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There aren't any particular personas that would be better than anything else there and those are the same party members I've beaten the game with every time I've played it. I seem to recall the gimmick of his super move is that when the game tells you he's gonna do it, just block until it passes.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah but you can't actually block in FES they may have added it in portable. You can only choose not to take an action. I've made it into the secret and have been leveling up my guys. Going to try again in a few minutes.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeasssssasssss I just beat the Nyx Avatar. It's rough how the last three turns of the fight can be super brutal.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I do enjoy Queen of the Night for being such a massive dick move if you're not prepared.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Hunt11 posted:

Do you have the bonus dungeon unlocked yet?

What was the bonus dungeon? I beat the last boss of FES without finding such a thing (I don't think.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

StandardVC10 posted:

What was the bonus dungeon? I beat the last boss of FES without finding such a thing (I don't think.)
One of Elizabeth's requests is to defeat the reaper, upon which doing so unlocks Monad where it is pretty easy to grind up to 99.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
In the original P3 you don't need to do any such thing to unlock Monad, so it is easy to grind a bit for the final boss there. It is the one advantage of the original over FES
Monad is just a palette swap of Thebel with harder enemies than what can be found in the rest of Tartarus, the only other thing there is the secret super boss.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

asvodel posted:

In the original P3 you don't need to do any such thing to unlock Monad, so it is easy to grind a bit for the final boss there. It is the one advantage of the original over FES
Monad is just a palette swap of Thebel with harder enemies than what can be found in the rest of Tartarus, the only other thing there is the secret super boss.

You can find the "ultimate" weapons for the characters in Monad.
I'm adding quotes since with weapon fusion, they aren't that mighty anymore.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

HGH posted:

I do enjoy Queen of the Night for being such a massive dick move if you're not prepared.

I beat persona 3 fes for the first time last week and on my first attempt i got all the way to the end and he charmed Mitsuru and she cast Diarahan on him and I just died a little inside. I was way underlevelled but 4 attemps later I eventually got to a loop when both mc and Koro were poisoned and i could Mediarahan every turn and be invincible.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I love the hell out of both the Raidou games, so yeah I'd totally be on-board for another one. I don't think either sold especially well, though, and I can't entirely blame Atlus for going where the money is.

I guess so Atlus does need to consider their investors and all :aaaaa:

I really like the older style of art direction and it grew on me starting w/Nocturne now I confess I find P3/P4 kinda bland wrt to character design.

I mean it's not bad but not really SMT-themed when I think of the series.

In other news I'm trying to convince myself that I want to clear P4 for the 4th time now on the vita :v:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Alder posted:

I guess so Atlus does need to consider their investors and all :aaaaa:

I really like the older style of art direction and it grew on me starting w/Nocturne now I confess I find P3/P4 kinda bland wrt to character design.

I mean it's not bad but not really SMT-themed when I think of the series.

In other news I'm trying to convince myself that I want to clear P4 for the 4th time now on the vita :v:

Atlus does not have investors, instead it has Sega bosses. So... unlikely to see Raidou or DDS games or new IPs. They are going to do Persona, EO (maybe) and SMT and we are unlikely to see anything else unfortunately.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

We still have no idea how Sega will affect what Atlus does, it may be better over there now. They were probably limited in the scope of what they could do while they were part of a floundering company about to go bankrupt. You're assuming things apropos of nothing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only semi-official statement out there is that they will treat them like Creative Assembly and they can work with Sega IP and games, but they are going to be independent and can make their own decisions on games.

The whole situation was caused by Index buying Atlus, spinning it off, then merging again then double reporting the income. Atlus USA, being a US corporation wholly owned by Index in stock pretty much was only affected by not having a steady stream of Persona games to release and we got things like Conception II.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Something I'm unsure about in Persona 2. If you go around fighting demons it won't make it any more difficult to make a pact with that demon type in the future right?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Not at all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
But it will make it more difficult to will yourself to finish the game due to the super-high encoutner rate.

Seriously, Persona 2, I love you, but you're just so tiring sometimes.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I'm a little confused on how personas gain ranks in Persona 2. Am I to understand that in order for them to rank up you have to use one of their skills? It's not like Persona 3 and 4 where just taking them on is enough.

Are there any other tricks I need to know in order for personas to rank up fast?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

But it will make it more difficult to will yourself to finish the game due to the super-high encoutner rate.

gently caress tell me about it. I played Persona 2 for a while and it's really good but I just couldn't take it anymore so I started playing Nocturne for the first time instead.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm a little confused on how personas gain ranks in Persona 2. Am I to understand that in order for them to rank up you have to use one of their skills? It's not like Persona 3 and 4 where just taking them on is enough.

Are there any other tricks I need to know in order for personas to rank up fast?

Personas gain Ranks by using them in battles. The max level for a Rank is 8, but you can speed it up by using Fusion Spells and hoping for a +2 Rank mutation (if they're under Rank 7). I want to say Mutations have a better chance of occurring if the Fusion Spell ends the battle?

Also, if you guys thought the encounter rate in IS was bad, imagine getting all the ultimate legendary weapons with demon rumors. :shepface:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Yoya posted:

I beat persona 3 fes for the first time last week and on my first attempt i got all the way to the end and he charmed Mitsuru and she cast Diarahan on him and I just died a little inside. I was way underlevelled but 4 attemps later I eventually got to a loop when both mc and Koro were poisoned and i could Mediarahan every turn and be invincible.

Yeah, I recall Charm being the end of many people's runs. It's probably the most important status to be resistant against during that fight.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dear god you weren't kidding. Every 5 seconds or less it seems there's an encounter.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

A Persona with the Estoma skill can prevent encounters with enemies below the average party level, I think. I just can't remember which ones learn it, or how early.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Delsaber posted:

A Persona with the Estoma skill can prevent encounters with enemies below the average party level, I think. I just can't remember which ones learn it, or how early.

Doing some research it seems Budai learns it, but you have to mutate it from Pixie, and it's tough to do.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Delsaber posted:

I know both Nemesis (Empress, Lv. 24, Rank 6) and Umayadono-Ouji (Hierophant, Lv. 23, Rank 8) get Estoma early in-game, and I'm pretty sure you can summon Personas up to 5 levels higher than the highest-leveled party member in Persona 2.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Booky posted:

Personas gain Ranks by using them in battles. The max level for a Rank is 8, but you can speed it up by using Fusion Spells and hoping for a +2 Rank mutation (if they're under Rank 7). I want to say Mutations have a better chance of occurring if the Fusion Spell ends the battle?

Also, if you guys thought the encounter rate in IS was bad, imagine getting all the ultimate legendary weapons with demon rumors. :shepface:

Mutations only occur if you end the battle with a fusion. Personas rank up by using skills from them, yeah, one pip per usage, you can see the little meter below the rank. Yeah it's a grind.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Imagine Digital Devil Saga and it's encounter rate but the disc is so scratched that it takes about fifteen seconds for the battle to load and then about thirty seconds for the character models to load in. It also makes the cutscenes skip which is arguably worse since DDS has pretty killer cutscenes.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Imagine Digital Devil Saga and it's encounter rate but the disc is so scratched that it takes about fifteen seconds for the battle to load and then about thirty seconds for the character models to load in. It also makes the cutscenes skip which is arguably worse since DDS has pretty killer cutscenes.

Hey my copy of DDS is the same way, though I can't see visible scratches on the disc

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

neongrey posted:

Mutations only occur if you end the battle with a fusion. Personas rank up by using skills from them, yeah, one pip per usage, you can see the little meter below the rank. Yeah it's a grind.

Using Fusion Spells also count as more than one use of a skill (like two or something). So Fusion Spells are the way to go in every way.

I still have yet to finish my first playthrough of Eternal Punishment. I'm at Torifune, trying to get the full map, and it's so painful. And then if I want to get the Ancestral Personas I need to get Fool cards, which I haven't managed to do once!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Using Fusion Spells also count as more than one use of a skill (like two or something). So Fusion Spells are the way to go in every way.

I still have yet to finish my first playthrough of Eternal Punishment. I'm at Torifune, trying to get the full map, and it's so painful. And then if I want to get the Ancestral Personas I need to get Fool cards, which I haven't managed to do once!

You will get Fool cards from the maps, at least. I don't think I ever managed to get them out of a contact in EP.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Figured out how to get Estona pretty early in Innocent Sin (imagine it works for Eternal Punishment also)

1. Summon Pixie (will need 8 lover cards).
2. End combat with fusion spells to have Pixie mutate (Mega Blaze works great: Fusion is Fire, Wind, Fire)
3. Save game before going to velvet room, go to velvet room and if you don't get option to mutate to Budai, reload and try again.
4. Max out Budai and get Estona.

Cast Estona, and you won't encounter combat if the monsters are levels below you.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Booky posted:

I actually did this. After languishing unfinished in my collection for over a decade after numerous false starts I decided to finish the gently caress out of IS and 100%ed the game. All Personas fused and maxed, all demons made contracts with (gently caress Fenrir forever), all fusion spells discovered, all ultimate legendary weapons gotten, everything. Didn't even really fight the last boss, just Harmageddoned him and watched the ending.

But it wasn't nearly as painful as when I did the exact same thing with Persona 1. :shepicide:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Genpei Turtle posted:

I actually did this. After languishing unfinished in my collection for over a decade after numerous false starts I decided to finish the gently caress out of IS and 100%ed the game. All Personas fused and maxed, all demons made contracts with (gently caress Fenrir forever), all fusion spells discovered, all ultimate legendary weapons gotten, everything. Didn't even really fight the last boss, just Harmageddoned him and watched the ending.

But it wasn't nearly as painful as when I did the exact same thing with Persona 1. :shepicide:

I still haven't gotten every Fusion Spell in the game, but getting the ultimate legendary weapons and max ranking all the Ultimate Personas with their mutation skills (and doing it again after Kudan :shepicide:) was basically torture.

How much worse was it with Persona 1?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I have to imagine I'm coming near the end of Innocent Sin.

Just met Hitler and Jun just joined my party.

This storyline is weeeeird.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah it's pretty good, mate. Really strong ideas, wish the pacing was better but eh. It's a late 90's RPG with cool synth tunes. My favorite of which is all of the pharmacies have a different version of the Satomi Tadashi song.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's basically anime and anime is always weird.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah, it's odd, but it really does make sense in an internal logic way, considering the whole thing is about mass hysteria breaking out and people latching onto any conspiracy theory that could explain the crises going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Booky posted:

I still haven't gotten every Fusion Spell in the game, but getting the ultimate legendary weapons and max ranking all the Ultimate Personas with their mutation skills (and doing it again after Kudan :shepicide:) was basically torture.

How much worse was it with Persona 1?

Oh yeah, I got all the mutation spells on all of the Personas too, forgot to mention that--that REALLY sucked. Fpr P1 had to cheat once I hit level 75 or so and put in an AR code to boost the EXP enemies drop because there was no feasible way I'd get up any higher normally. It got so that even Alice (a super-rare fight which gives the most EXP in the game) was only giving 1/10th of the EXP needed to get to the next level.

Other than that I actually enjoyed it a lot more than doing the same in P2--the Personas in P1 are much more min-maxable if you know what you're doing. It was a lot of fun creating ridiculously overpowered Personas with 99 in all stats that could do insane amounts of damage with a lovely Bufu spell.