Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alas Boobylon posted:

^Be careful about RSX i made some money on RUSS during the Ukraine crisis but then switched to RUSL earlier this month. profits gone and then some. There's a lot of reasons for Russia's economy to blow up but hopefully the beating Europe is taking right now will make them give up the sanctions before winter strikes.

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

Not likely the sanctions will end. They are working quite well and with oil dropping in price this is just what was being hoped for. If anything oil dropping further without Russia's financing sector responding would be a shock to me, outside of their bank already selling foreign currency to prop up the Ruble. The only problem right now is the Russian population is still in a belief that all is well for their economy while inflation is exploding.

Yeah I think Russia is a mess right now...sanctions are starting to hurt, and oil plummeting isn't helping. Not sure how they'll get out from under the sanctions without giving up Crimea and lol at Russia doing that anytime soon. On the flip side, sometimes the best buying opportunity is when the future outlook appears the bleakest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
What do you guys think of coal? Sure, the industry is getting completely squashed right now because of super cheap gas, but I am batting around the idea of investing in Cloud Peak Energy (CLD). It seems to be the best of major coal producers; CLD has low leverage compared to its closest peers, it is a cost leader in the industry (largely because it operates exclusively in the Powder River Basin), and like its peers, it is selling at pretty goddamn low valuations (0.5x sales, 0.6x book, and under 5x EBITDA). Also, CLD is the only coal producer I've seen that isn't hemorrhaging cash like crazy right now.

Lastly, and maybe I'm wrong on this, but I think that coal isn't going to disappear as a primary energy source anytime soon. I believe the EPA projects that coal will still account for something like 30% of domestic energy generation in 2035. Can somebody with more insight into the energy sector weigh in on CLD or on the coal industry?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Oh the markets. The markets are red. So red.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

tentish klown posted:

Dow futures down 2.4% :staredog:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DEMAG posted:

Dow futures down 2.4% :staredog:

you're reading something wrong or perhaps you're reading it combined with yesterday's move...they were down at most .7% this morning.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Re-shorted UVXY @ 33 since VIX hit 22. Keeping a flat stop at 35 in case markets still feel like selling off again.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

tentish klown posted:

Ugh... I know. I really wish I had more un-invested money kicking around so I could take advantage. I know that the markets will re-bound, but it hurts to see stocks going at discount prices while you can't touch them. :suicide:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Picked up American Airlines at 30.06. Had bids in for TAN and options on AAL, but didn't quite drop low enough.

Also opened up an Ebay Jan 2015 call spread, bought the 48 at 5.60 and sold the 55 at 1.87. Extremely happy with that trade, considering the stock is/was at ~52.2.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Picked up some TKMR on the dip, ebola ya'll :supaburn:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't know why I didn't get TAN. It's up 2.5% off of where I was going to buy it at 35. I really just thought it could go lower :(

Timing is such a bitch.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why didn't anyone tell us to buy hazmat suit makers?!

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Tech sector is getting reamed in the rear end today. Go shopping, goons.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Storgar posted:

Tech sector is getting reamed in the rear end today. Go shopping, goons.

Bought some Intel at the dip. I do not think they will have as bad of an earnings report in the coming days as an early report is suggesting to people.

Edit: Seems MCHP had its CEO say chip sales were down for them in Sept. and the market bailed any chip stocks. The CEO said that out of the 80,000 customers it served sales were down. Their big buyers most likely went elsewhere as almost 70% of their business comes from just 10% of their customers and they were not able to meet some demands. If this is true and their company was the only one to lose big sales then they just tanked the market as a whole so they would not look incompetent. :cripes:

BouncingBuckyBalls fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 10, 2014

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, not looking too good. Might be a long correction ahead...

http://online.barrons.com/articles/micron-tech-insiders-sell-5-7-million-in-stock-1412804503

You loving bastards!! :argh:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/25/investing/stock-tech-selloff-apple-wall-street/

:sigh:

e. gently caress tech stocks, maaaaaan

Storgar fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 10, 2014

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Why didn't anyone tell us to buy hazmat suit makers?!

Holy poo poo.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Heh, stopped out of UVXY so maybe we get an actual 10% correction!

On the plus side, nice to see crude catch some kind of a bid.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
it's about loving time, though i'll be damned if i know the catalyst. maybe just a general sense of 'poo poo is hosed and not getting better.'

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I am the absolute worst with trade timing.

Decided to scale out of some of my INTC on Wednesday since I have been riding it up a good ~50% over the past year or so. Set a limit sell order for $34.50 (as I am kind of OCD and always pick round numbers slightly above where it is currently trading). It makes it to like $34.35 on Wednesday and I am like "whelp, the volatility will get it in the coming days". Yeah...

INTC then proceeds to plummet 7% in seven days pretty much from that point on. The ironic thing is I wanted to use those proceeds to buy into a correction....

Regardless, my portfolio has been beating the market consistently through all this volatility despite owning Ford (ugh) and Intel. God bless utilities.

Regarding Ford, it was getting to the point where it was approaching Tesla in valuation. Tesla being a company which loses money manufacturing and selling a couple tens of thousands of automobiles and whose owner and largest shareholder says is overvalued. Ford being a company which makes billions of dollars selling millions of automobiles. I don't know...

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

Edit: Seems MCHP had its CEO say chip sales were down for them in Sept. and the market bailed any chip stocks. The CEO said that out of the 80,000 customers it served sales were down. Their big buyers most likely went elsewhere as almost 70% of their business comes from just 10% of their customers and they were not able to meet some demands. If this is true and their company was the only one to lose big sales then they just tanked the market as a whole so they would not look incompetent. :cripes:

Do you honestly believe this?

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

greasyhands posted:

Do you honestly believe this?

At this point I'm reading articles I usually don't end up on and some may be written by people who want to make sense out of crazy things, which makes the stories quite interesting. What I posted came from a conspiracy group who invested in MCHP or INTC and got hurt today.
I did end up buying some more Intel today as I enjoy their products and see them being able to pull of a great quarter, although I am also thinking that we might go further down Monday if Germany keeps talking about how they are falling into a recession which is why I didn't buy all I could afford.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Regarding Ford, it was getting to the point where it was approaching Tesla in valuation. Tesla being a company which loses money manufacturing and selling a couple tens of thousands of automobiles and whose owner and largest shareholder says is overvalued. Ford being a company which makes billions of dollars selling millions of automobiles. I don't know...

I've owned myself repeatedly this year on the basis of "hey, this company is doing well, so their stock price ought to go up" turning out to not be true at all for companies like FEYE and XONE. Especially XONE. I also managed to buy TSLA shares at $169 and sold them at $180 because it was right when the news started coming out about them catching on fire after minor crashes, and I figured "well, that combined with their obviously lacking overall fundamentals compared to established car manufacturers ought to dampen the momentum", and just recently, when I didn't figure SCTY would start to slump just because another small solar company IPOed.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Do any of you have experience with http://www.choicetrade.com ? $0.15/contract options commission seems pretty awesome...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I've owned myself repeatedly this year on the basis of "hey, this company is doing well, so their stock price ought to go up" turning out to not be true at all for companies like FEYE and XONE. Especially XONE. I also managed to buy TSLA shares at $169 and sold them at $180 because it was right when the news started coming out about them catching on fire after minor crashes, and I figured "well, that combined with their obviously lacking overall fundamentals compared to established car manufacturers ought to dampen the momentum", and just recently, when I didn't figure SCTY would start to slump just because another small solar company IPOed.

Ford is still a good long term hold in my opinion, which is why I still have them. I feel their products represent more of a reality of future auto models rather than some sort of trendy eco-fantasy (Tesla). The dividend is also really nice.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Options expiration: Friday or Sat? Options for most stocks seem to nominally expire the third sat of the month. The more popular ones nominally expire every Friday.

The market's closed Sat, so how does this work? It seems like in either case, the latest you could lock in a profit (by buying the stock for a put, or shorting for a call) would occur on market close Friday, and the stocks or short and the money paid/gained for them would be usable in your account the following Monday at market open.

For the Friday exps, the stocks/money appear on my account on Sat, but are effectively useless until Mon. Don't recall when the Sat exps appear.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 13, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Options expiration: Friday or Sat? Options for most stocks seem to nominally expire the third sat of the month. The more popular ones nominally expire every Friday.

The market's closed Sat, so how does this work? It seems like in either case, the exercise for ITM opts would occur on market close Friday, and the stocks or short and the money paid/gained for them would be usable in your account the following Monday at market open.

For the Friday exps, the stocks/money appear on my account on Sat, but are effectively useless until Mon. Don't recall when the Sat exps appear.

My understanding is that options expiring on Saturday can still be exercised on Saturday, despite the markets being closed. What can happen is an after-hours announcement or some event after Friday's close that would affect people's sentiment enough to change which strikes are ITM.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

A market open where traders could only hold a bounce for 10min before selling off instead of the complete opposite? Blasphemous!

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Ford is still a good long term hold in my opinion, which is why I still have them. I feel their products represent more of a reality of future auto models rather than some sort of trendy eco-fantasy (Tesla). The dividend is also really nice.
You might want to be careful there thinking that Tesla is trendy eco-fantasy. I just bought a model S for my wife, she doesn't care about being green, the car is just loving incredible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tesla is now selling a car that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, for $120k. That's supercar territory in terms of acceleration performance. It's ridiculous and it's going to sell like hotcakes.

Tesla may or may not actually make money doing it, and I have no opinion about whether their stock price is justified. But their cars are more than just a fad.

edit: my mistake, the P85D costs $120. Still cheaper than similar spec ferarris and lambos, and it's a full-size sedan instead of a two-seater mid-engine sports car.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 13, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Tesla is now selling a car that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, for $120k. That's supercar territory in terms of acceleration performance. It's ridiculous and it's going to sell like hotcakes.

Tesla may or may not actually make money doing it, and I have no opinion about whether their stock price is justified. But their cars are more than just a fad.

edit: my mistake, the P85D costs $120. Still cheaper than similar spec ferarris and lambos, and it's a full-size sedan instead of a two-seater mid-engine sports car.
I'm really torn about Tesla as a company. One one hand, they're so far beyond the other carmakers in their vehicle technology, and have shown themselves able to adapt to changing market conditions very well. And holy hell, is that Model S amazing. But everything they've been doing lately seems to be catering to the wealthier crowd. I'm not sure how much longer their stock price can justify being as high as it is. Yes, I know that the Model 3 is slated for release in 2017. But what happens between now and 2017 in terms of their stock price? More luxury add-ons to vehicles that are way beyond the affordability of most car buyers?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

melon cat posted:

I'm really torn about Tesla as a company. One one hand, they're so far beyond the other carmakers in their vehicle technology, and have shown themselves able to adapt to changing market conditions very well. And holy hell, is that Model S amazing. But everything they've been doing lately seems to be catering to the wealthier crowd. I'm not sure how much longer their stock price can justify being as high as it is. Yes, I know that the Model 3 is slated for release in 2017. But what happens between now and 2017 in terms of their stock price? More luxury add-ons to vehicles that are way beyond the affordability of most car buyers?

Also, what happens when the real release date is end of 2018, and the price is closer to 50k than 30k?

I'm not a Tesla hater at all, but I'm just skeptical of some of their claims and the personality cult around Musk. But I would love to be proven wrong.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 16, 2019

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gopro-shares-getting-crushed-report-145653729.html

Yikes

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

If I want to profit off of ebola's imminent introduction into Ivory Coast, and I don't have the resources to buy cocoa futures directly, would it make more sense to buy NIB or CHOC, or some of both?

What did you decide to do on this one?

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
gently caress this poo poo im investing in bonds

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Storgar posted:

Is the bottom in already?

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Baddog posted:

Is the bottom in already?

probably not. But tech isn't looking so good... I'm out. Maybe I'll come back later. Thank god for utilities.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

melon cat posted:

But everything they've been doing lately seems to be catering to the wealthier crowd. I'm not sure how much longer their stock price can justify being as high as it is. Yes, I know that the Model 3 is slated for release in 2017. But what happens between now and 2017 in terms of their stock price? More luxury add-ons to vehicles that are way beyond the affordability of most car buyers?

Luxury brands can be highly profitable, but I agree that it will be years before we know for sure that Tesla will be a viable long-term profitable luxury carmaker. This is why I regard Tesla stock as highly speculative (even moreso than any single stock in general). I suspect the speculators who will get rich from Tesla got in ages ago, and that at this point there is little if any upside... but never underestimate the ability of speculators to further inflate a security's price.

Aside from that, I assume that between now and 2017, Tesla will sell cars. I see no sign that they will find themselves able to produce enough cars to completely satisfy demand, and that means they'll be under little or no price pressure. They will recoup the development costs of their existing offerings, while plowing all profits and additional borrowed money into the development costs and manufacturing expansion for their future products. At some point perhaps they will find themselves in financial trouble due to overly ambitious growth, etc. but that's just anyone's guess at this point.

I think it's funny in a way how obsessed this thread is with Tesla (and Apple). They're nerdy geek products/companies which I guess attract nerdy geek Goons? But as a result they're the focus of far more speculation and hype than I'm comfortable with as investment options. I'd rather invest money in something where I can have at least a little bit of confidence that the stock price is based on some semblance of rational assessment of the company's fundamentals.

If such a thing actually exists. The truth is I'm not buying individual stocks these days anyway, I mostly read this thread because I think I might be dabbling in the market in a few years, and I want to be well-educated about it when that time comes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Leperflesh posted:

I mostly read this thread because I think I might be dabbling in the market in a few years, and I want to be well-educated about it when that time comes.

this thread is definitely the place you want to be :)

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

nebby posted:

You might want to be careful there thinking that Tesla is trendy eco-fantasy. I just bought a model S for my wife, she doesn't care about being green, the car is just loving incredible.

So is a Ferrari. It isn't that I think the car isn't awesome, I just don't see the whole electric car thing catching on in the way that people expect. $90k is a lot of money, and even if they can bring it down for regular people, there is no guarantee that they will want to deal with an electric car on a day to day basis. Add in $85 oil, and Ford's new 30-35 MPG cars and trucks make much more sense.

Besides, if the market changes in this regard maybe I will loot at them later down the right. They are really risky right now in that they aren't really making money and the only thing they are good at is increasing their CAPEX for this mystical future demand.

quote:

I have been saying this for ages, but then I look at the yield curve and decide against it. I told myself I may look at the bond market when the 10-year hits 3% again...

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mindphlux posted:

this thread is definitely the place you want to be :)

LOL well... not exclusively this thread, but I've generally gotten very good results when I want to learn more about a thing, by reading the relevant forums/threads about it on SA. See: how to work on my car (AI), how to keep bees (beekeeping thread), how to do my taxes, how to fix my house's wiring, how to play videogames, what lenses to buy for my camera, how to cook a perfect steak, what to feed my cats, etc.

So far from this thread I have learned how to make snarky posts about other people's borderline gambling stock market strategies. I'm sure once I am also a rich person this information will serve me in good stead.