Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Factory Factory posted:

Both AMD and Nvidia video cards have integrated streaming capability using the video decode block integrated on the graphics card. Of these, Nvidia's Shadowplay works better.

If you look up Shadowplay (and AMD Gaming Evolved) and their Twitch integration doesn't suit you, then streaming with a lot of CPU encoding is a viable use case for a Core i7-4790(K) instead.

What about using Intel Quicksync? I've been able to stream everything with very little performance hit on a 2500K / Radeon 5850 using Quicksync to do hardware accelerated streaming. It seems to me like any Intel CPU with integrated graphics is enough to stream without having to use Shadowplay / Gaming Evolved.

Edit: Do we have a thread somewhere for streaming questions? I've got some questions and some answers from learning to set up Twitch streaming well on an older machine without Shadowplay, especially about how streams handle VSYnc and trying to broadcast at 16:9 when my monitor is 1920x1200.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If your preferred broadcasting package can use Quicksync, hey, that's also cool. If it does, it can probably use NVENC and VCE as well, so you're in the same boat as Steam Home Streaming.

I don't know if we have a streaming thread. GPU thread maybe? Or the Let's Play subforum's tech support thread.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I just looked up, looks like the default fork of OBS (Open Broadcaster) has NVENC and Quicksync support. I also do know from previous experience you can down sample to 16:9 but i don't know if it throws the AR off a ton in the final output.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Photex posted:

I just looked up, looks like the default fork of OBS (Open Broadcaster) has NVENC and Quicksync support. I also do know from previous experience you can down sample to 16:9 but i don't know if it throws the AR off a ton in the final output.

The big issue I was having is that running it with the Quicksync encoder, VSync, and 30fps stream was somehow getting the game stuck at 30fps. When I turned up the stream capture framerate to 60fps, the game would run at 60fps but the twitch allowed bandwidth of 3300kbps isn't enough to do a quality 1080p60 stream with Quicksync and the stream looks pretty compressed.

This might be solved with a newer, better version of Quicksync on Haswell instead of Sandy Bridge, or maybe it's time to replace my 5 year old GPU. I'm trying to hold out for the GTX 960, but it looks like 970s are flying off the shelves so the 960 won't show up until February.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

The big issue I was having is that running it with the Quicksync encoder, VSync, and 30fps stream was somehow getting the game stuck at 30fps. When I turned up the stream capture framerate to 60fps, the game would run at 60fps but the twitch allowed bandwidth of 3300kbps isn't enough to do a quality 1080p60 stream with Quicksync and the stream looks pretty compressed.

This might be solved with a newer, better version of Quicksync on Haswell instead of Sandy Bridge, or maybe it's time to replace my 5 year old GPU. I'm trying to hold out for the GTX 960, but it looks like 970s are flying off the shelves so the 960 won't show up until February.

This shouldn't be much of an issue because I play CSGO in 1024x768 :allears:

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
Doing a somewhat fresh build and wanted to get an extra set of eyes or two to look things over before I pull the trigger later today. Just gonna reuse 8GB worth of DDR3-1333 ram for a month or two and transplant a dvd drive for the OS install.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $711.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 15:21 EDT-0400

My only real concern is that I'm not sure if the 770 will be in the way of the RAM or vice versa in the top slot.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I don't think anyone else has had a problem. Might not be able to put a backplate on the card, but not many people do that anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Read the OP about Corsair PSU CX's failure rate just now and I just happen to have the 600CX. I've only been using it for a week now but I hate to have it fail on me. I can't return it back to Newegg since I did the mail-in rebate.

I'm thinking the best course of action is to just replace it in a few months and maybe try to resell it on eBay or something. What do you guys think I should do? I'm thinking it may also be economical to just ride it out to see if it fails or not then replace it when its time.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Ride it out. If it fails prematurely, it usually does so within the first year and does so gracefully. Then you can get a fresh RMA and sell it as new-in-box or refurb-in-box (whichever it is), or just use the fresh RMA. Or there's a good chance it just continues working.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks! That was very informative.

I'd like to build a small-ish value gaming PC, so I'm looking at mini-ATX case. I presume the m.2 would be the best fit for that due to its small size, right? You said it can do up to PCIe x4 or regular SATA, does that mean it's actually slower than the the other two? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I only know the PCIe goes up to 16x and that's for graphics card so my knowledge is severely lacking.

M.2 uses the PCIe bus, but the speed of the attached device is limited to a) the speed of the bus (some motherboards' M.2 support is x2, some x4) and b) the storage device's controller (some are SATA III, some are native PCIe). You'll only see a benefit over generic SATA III if the stars align. There are currently two PCIe M.2 consumer drives on the market: Plextor M6e (PCIe 2.0 x2) and Samsung XP941 (PCIe 2.0 x4).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhdWwvh5kI

They have issues.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yeah, PCIe m.2 drives are just not there yet. We're waiting on generation 3 SandForce controllers to be released and the market should start flooding.

PCIe drives are much faster than SATA. SATA 3 is about 550 MB/s maximum speed. An m.2 drive with PCIe x2 3.0 or PCIe x4 2.0, that runs about 2000 MB/s. But the bigger benefit is actually the signalling - a PCIe SSD that uses NVMe instead of AHCI generally has a much lower rate of high-latency I/Os (read: much more consistent performance, which is as important as average performance).

All SATA drives use AHCI. PCIe drives can use AHCI or NVMe depending on the controller. Neither the Plextor nor the Samsung drive above support NVMe.

E: Circling back around to the original question, I wouldn't sweat finding an m.2 or even mSATA drive for a small gaming PC. By nature of having enough room for a full video card, the case will inevitably have enough room for a 3.5" drive and a 2.5" SSD as well, or at least multiple 2.5" disks.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 13, 2014

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Sorry to keep posting, but I've redone my parts list based on suggestions in this and other threads, and I'd like a lookover before I start buying things. Is everything going to work together ok? Is there anywhere I can cut costs and keep performance the same? The operating system, mouse, monitor, and keyboard I already have, so they're covered. I could pull out the optical drive from my old PC, but everything in there is approaching 5+ years so I'd rather just spend the money on a new one.

This PC would be used for gaming, streaming, and light video editing. I don't need super high end graphics, just 1080p and 60fps with decent settings in newer games. I don't intend to overclock, and very likely won't try to crossfire two graphics cards at any point, though I like having the option.

In terms of budget, 950$ is the hard limit, so this is about as much as I'd want to spend. There's about 20$ of room in there if there's something in the range that would give me a notable boost in performance.

Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($128.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($156.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Nanoxia NXDS4B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($89.50 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $889.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 16:13 EDT-0400

Sorry again to keep posting in here, but like I mentioned before, this will be my first build and I just want to make sure everything is right, and separate the wheat from the chaff. Thanks so much.

Roger Wynter
Aug 19, 2009
Thank you FF and Lord B for your help in the last thread. As per your suggestions I think I will steer clear of overclocking the CPU in this small case so I just wanted to do a final check that all looks good before I order.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£158.00 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£83.77 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£63.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£88.57 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case
Total: £669.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 21:28 BST+0100

I will also get the Silverstone Strider ST45SF-G 450W 80+ Gold. Is that sufficient? I don't really understand wattage requirements. PCPartPicker seems to think it should be OK but the newegg calculator, linked in the OP, (if I sub in a GeForce GTX 680, which I think is similar in TDP to the 970) gives me 445w, which is pretty much spot on/close to the edge.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I would hold off on that ssd until the firmware update hits

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The update hits in two days.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Sorry to keep posting, but I've redone my parts list based on suggestions in this and other threads, and I'd like a lookover before I start buying things. Is everything going to work together ok? Is there anywhere I can cut costs and keep performance the same? The operating system, mouse, monitor, and keyboard I already have, so they're covered. I could pull out the optical drive from my old PC, but everything in there is approaching 5+ years so I'd rather just spend the money on a new one.

Sorry again to keep posting in here, but like I mentioned before, this will be my first build and I just want to make sure everything is right, and separate the wheat from the chaff. Thanks so much.

I gave it another look-over, and it all looks good to me.

Roger Wynter posted:

Thank you FF and Lord B for your help in the last thread. As per your suggestions I think I will steer clear of overclocking the CPU in this small case so I just wanted to do a final check that all looks good before I order.

I will also get the Silverstone Strider ST45SF-G 450W 80+ Gold. Is that sufficient? I don't really understand wattage requirements. PCPartPicker seems to think it should be OK but the newegg calculator, linked in the OP, (if I sub in a GeForce GTX 680, which I think is similar in TDP to the 970) gives me 445w, which is pretty much spot on/close to the edge.

Ditto. PC Part Picker gives low estimates (~20% over-sized) and Newegg gives high estimates (100% over-sized).

Roger Wynter
Aug 19, 2009
Lovely stuff. Thanks again for your help!

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
It says that my gigabyte g1 gaming 970 is 312mm while the phanteks evolv has 318mm gpu clearance. Should I trust that it'll (barely) fit?

Also is there any set release date for the evolv?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I happen to have four 4gb laptop SODIMM sticks lying around and I'm building a new desktop PC.

Has anyone ever used these or heard of anyone using them? http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Laptop-Desktop-Adapter-Connector/dp/B009N7XX4Q/

For $10 bucks each I figure it's worth a shot. Desktops can handle 1.35v DDR3 ram, right?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Zero VGS posted:

I happen to have four 4gb laptop SODIMM sticks lying around and I'm building a new desktop PC.

Has anyone ever used these or heard of anyone using them? http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Laptop-Desktop-Adapter-Connector/dp/B009N7XX4Q/

For $10 bucks each I figure it's worth a shot. Desktops can handle 1.35v DDR3 ram, right?

I Googled one person using them, and many more people saying they were intended for testing, not for long-term use.

I am skeptical. I'd sell the old stuff and buy new memory.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

I gave it another look-over, and it all looks good to me.

Thank you. That PSU should be sufficient wattage, yah? It'd really kill me to have this thing together and then not have enough power.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

I don't think anyone else has had a problem. Might not be able to put a backplate on the card, but not many people do that anyway.

Took me a minute to remember/figure out that is build is "upside-down" from what I've done before. :downs:

I was thinking that the fans would be pointed up and be in the way of poo poo. :downs:

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

The DS4 is listed as having 160mm of cpu clearance; the TC14PE is 171mm tall; so I'm kinda sceptical on that one - are you sure these videos aren't depicting the smaller TC12DX? that would definitely fit, and be a perfectly decent performer.

I think you're right again, I'm zero for two here. Since jumping to conclusions got me here in the first place, is the TC12DX what I want for the DS4? If so I'll happily eat the restocking and shipping costs of getting the TC12DX though; not as much of an idiot tax on myself as the crap that happened to me last build where I didn't make sure my video card fit.

cregets
Nov 21, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Are you intending to overclock? If so you need an i5-4690K; and probably a better CPU cooler; If not you are getting a z97 board for no reason and should probably just get an Asrock H97m-pro4.

Personally I think it would be worth spending more on the Nanoxia DS4 case (if you value silence) or the Corsair Obsidian 450D (a little bigger than the 350D, but comes with a second intake fan, better fan intake ventilation, and proper dust filters for the vents on top) There is also the phanteks Enthoo Evolv which looks set to be fabulous, but won't be out for a few days. If you stick with the 350D I'd encourage you to get a demciflex dust filter for the top panel at least.

There's no reason you couldn't go the mITX route in a prodigy or something as well if you wanted.

The Asus and Gigabyte 970s are currently perfectly fine (the Asus is the better card) no need to wait on anything.

Did you intend to get the pro version of Windows? You should carefully examine the differences to see if you could save $20 by getting the regular version.

Otherwise I'm happy.

I have indeed swapped the 350D for the Nanoxia DS4 case, and I won't be overclocking. However, Amazon doesn't carry that Asrock H97m-Pro4 in a micro-atx(it ships from and is sold by some other company). It looks like only ATX. It will be ok to get any H97 micro-atx mobo right? Say, this MSI-H97M-G43 or this Asus H97M-Plus. Are there any reliability issues with either of these brands? Also, will a 970 fit in this Nanoxia case, or is it the mobo that I need to make sure it fits on?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

cregets posted:

I have indeed swapped the 350D for the Nanoxia DS4 case, and I won't be overclocking. However, Amazon doesn't carry that Asrock H97m-Pro4 in a micro-atx(it ships from and is sold by some other company). It looks like only ATX. It will be ok to get any H97 micro-atx mobo right? Say, this MSI-H97M-G43 or this Asus H97M-Plus. Are there any reliability issues with either of these brands? Also, will a 970 fit in this Nanoxia case, or is it the mobo that I need to make sure it fits on?

The Asus has better Ethernet (Intel vs Realtek) plus a reputation for better build quality. I'd personally pay an extra $15 for that, but it's your decision to make.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Thank you very much, both of you. That cleared it right up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Billy Black posted:

My computer is on the verge of 100% unusable, so I wouldn't mind sitting through a complete Windows install more than once. But the SSD's are so small (in the affordable price range), that I would have to use my current hard drive alongside it. I read on these forums that if your hard drive is over a few years old, then you should look into replacing it. Should I be replacing the old hard drive as well? Or will it be enough to just back up my files?

First of all, I strongly suggest a 250gb SSD. I've had a 120 in the past and it really is too tight for comfort. If you can afford to grab a WD red or blue as well then you might as well, otherwise just make sure you keep things backed up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Relax, if the system is fine and you'll be replacing parts soon, you don't have to act just yet. The guidelines are more about planning than they are about guaranteed disaster.

The failure rate for 5 year old hard drives goes up significantly, from 2% for a properly functioning drive up until that point to a ~15-40% chance per year. But that doesn't mean that your drive *will* die. In fact, new drives have about a 10-15% failure rate for the first six month to a year of operation (including DOAs). There are plenty of drives that will run for a decade - not a majority by far, but enough that it's not surprising.

A five year old hard drive shouldn't be relied on... but then, no hard drive should. You should always keep a backup. But if a couple days of downtime won't hurt you if it fails, and if it's working now, it's okay to treat the drive as fully functional because, hey, it is.

SSDs, we aren't sure exactly how and why they fail. But they don't suffer mechanical failure the same way. Don't replace it just for the sake of replacing it.

That said, the Samsung drive is four times the size, supports TRIM, and is outrageously faster. So, you know, other reasons to upgrade. Go for it.

Power-wise, the CPU + GPU + 50 rule-of-thumb is only for modern machines. Around 2011, motherboard and chipset power draw dropped hugely from 50-100 W to 5-40W. First-gen i7s also had enormous CPU power draw - if you really loaded on the volts when overclocking, you could push that 130W CPU to well over 400W (Intel's slides on Nehalem were power use increasing proportionally to the cube of voltage. So a power supply for your existing system would have to be huge compared to one for a new system. Even at stock clocks, the 550W you suggest is much more appropriate as a minimum.

Luckily, your unit is already huge. An 850W power supply is a lot of capacity even for a fully-overclocked first-gen i7. If you've been running at stock clocks or if your system hasn't been running 24/7... then it's fine. The more over-large a unit is, the less applicable the five-year rule of thumb is. That PSU was made before the age of actually-useful power supply reviews, so who knows how good it really is. But again, if it works, don't replace it just to replace it when you'll be doing a full rebuild soon anyway.

Johnny guru says it's seasonic built. So it should be at least decent.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks! That was very informative.

I'd like to build a small-ish value gaming PC, so I'm looking at mini-ATX case. I presume the m.2 would be the best fit for that due to its small size, right? You said it can do up to PCIe x4 or regular SATA, does that mean it's actually slower than the the other two? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I only know the PCIe goes up to 16x and that's for graphics card so my knowledge is severely lacking.

There aren't any good consumer oriented M.2 drives yet. Just get a SATA drive. Any case will have more than enough space for one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

This PC would be used for gaming, streaming, and light video editing. I don't need super high end graphics, just 1080p and 60fps with decent settings in newer games. I don't intend to overclock, and very likely won't try to crossfire two graphics cards at any point, though I like having the option.

In terms of budget, 950$ is the hard limit, so this is about as much as I'd want to spend. There's about 20$ of room in there if there's something in the range that would give me a notable boost in performance.

Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($128.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($156.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Nanoxia NXDS4B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($89.50 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $889.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 16:13 EDT-0400

You can get better PSUs than that at a similar price... Look at xfx and rosewill capstones. I also thing the Samsung 840EVO is a better purchase despite the current bug. Otherwise, looks good.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post. Laptop thread told me to get a desktop to save money. I asked the family computer guy to build me a reasonable desktop for gaming/general use, he came up with an outrageous thing:

Custom Lenovo Desktop PC (Black & Grey color scheme)
Intel Core I-5 4460 3.2 GHz
Windows 8.1 64 bit
16 Gigs RAM
2 Terabyte drive + 1 Terabyte drive, both 7200 RPM. (You can use the 2nd drive for storage and/or for backup.)
Video: NVidia GeForce GTX 750 2 Gigs
DVD RW
Sound Hi Def 7.1
Network: Wired & Wireless
1 Year Limited Warranty
Wireless Keyboard & mouse
Microsoft Office 2013

Cost: $2000.

I know, right? Where's he driving up the price?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

That's the old Core 2 architecture.... Each of those beefy chips is matched by the Intel Atom chip found in 8" Windows tablets these days.

Is this hyperbole or is this really the case? I had been considering a J1900 system as a sidegrade from my current (albeit heavily overclocked) Pentium E2160 until you talked me into a Pentium G3258. That will probably still be the right call when I do it soon, for other reasons than sheer performance, but I'm curious on this point.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

You can get better PSUs than that at a similar price... Look at xfx and rosewill capstones.

So if I get this Rosewill PSU, is 450w enough wattage or should I pay the ten extra dollars for a 550w?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dj_clawson posted:

Unless the case is made of gold or something this is a bad deal.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post. Laptop thread told me to get a desktop to save money. I asked the family computer guy to build me a reasonable desktop for gaming/general use, he came up with an outrageous thing:

Custom Lenovo Desktop PC (Black & Grey color scheme)
Intel Core I-5 4460 3.2 GHz
Windows 8.1 64 bit
16 Gigs RAM
2 Terabyte drive + 1 Terabyte drive, both 7200 RPM. (You can use the 2nd drive for storage and/or for backup.)
Video: NVidia GeForce GTX 750 2 Gigs
DVD RW
Sound Hi Def 7.1
1 Year Limited Warranty
Microsoft Office 2013

I know, right? Where's he driving up the price?

...everywhere? There is no way that adds up to $2000, dude's blatantly trying to rip you off. Give him the finger and tell him he's an rear end in a top hat.

I've lowballed a lot of the parts, because I presume that is what this guy is doing. Let's say I got overzealous and he won't screw you quite so bad, parts end up costing $1200. Still, gently caress that guy.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the DVD RW! Tack on $20-50, does not change the resulting conclusion.

Feed Me A Cat fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 14, 2014

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Feed Me A Cat posted:

...everywhere? There is no way that adds up to $2000, dude's blatantly trying to rip you off. Give him the finger and tell him he's an rear end in a top hat.

What do you think it's really worth?

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

What do you think it's really worth?

You missed the second quote box in my first post, a little under $750 if he plans on short-changing you as badly as I've imagined. If I'm coming off as blunt, it's because I really think this guy is trying to cheat you and it makes my sperg-anger rise.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Is this hyperbole or is this really the case? I had been considering a J1900 system as a sidegrade from my current (albeit heavily overclocked) Pentium E2160 until you talked me into a Pentium G3258. That will probably still be the right call when I do it soon, for other reasons than sheer performance, but I'm curious on this point.

I checked it I thought, but I got it wrong. It's close, but Silvermont is not perfectly as powerful as Penryn, but its four-cores definitely beat out dual-cores. Here's some data courtesy AnandTech:

That's a Core 2 Duo SL9400. The Z3770 turbos up to 2.4 GHz, but it's there's no indication of what the average clock speed was for this run (i.e. how much it was thermally throttling, if at all). It's probably throttling somewhat, because the J1900 (10W 4-core Silvermont, same 2.4 GHz turbo) in Bench gets 1.79.

There are no numbers for Cinebench R11.5 in AnandTech's Bench database, so I'm gonna do some estimates using Nehalem and R10. Result I get is that the SL9400 would score a 0.61 (plus a bit, considering that Cinebench scales just a bit under perfectly) on the single-threaded benchmark vs. 0.46 for the J1900. Multithreaded that's probably around 1.2 on the C2D SL9400 vs. 1.79 on a J1900.

So an Atom is not a lateral move from a late-model Core 2 Quad, even at the low frequency. It's close on the low-frequency dual-core models in multithreaded, and the performance per watt is outrageous, but it's not the same thing. And the low per-core performance will be dominant in some things.

My bad.

The 2.33 GHz quads in the original example would work out to ~0.76 single-threaded and theoretical max of 3.06 multi-threaded per socket (it'd be a bit less) times two sockets (a bit less again as sockets don't scale perfectly even more so than chips). That's about even with the results of an i5-4670 or AMD FX-8320.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 14, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Feed Me A Cat posted:

You missed the second quote box in my first post, a little under $750 if he plans on short-changing you as badly as I've imagined. If I'm coming off as blunt, it's because I really think this guy is trying to cheat you and it makes my sperg-anger rise.

He said that it was custom Lenovo desktop, but the closest one I can find to those specs is $1,100, and that's for an i7 CPU.

So at a glance it looks like your friend is charging you upwards of $900 to do your shopping for you.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

He said that it was custom Lenovo desktop, but the closest one I can find to those specs is $1,100, and that's for an i7 CPU.

So at a glance it looks like your friend is charging you upwards of $900 to do your shopping for you.

I missed that bit, I was thinking he was just cobbling together bargain bin parts and that's why none of the pictures on the Lenovo website match, because it's custom you see :downs: I'm undecided as to whether it'd be worse to do that or if the added laziness of going with a pre-built and changing some options via drop-down menu is somehow extra scumbag despite the lesser profit involved. I also completely neglected to factor in:

quote:

Sound Hi Def 7.1
1 Year Limited Warranty
Microsoft Office 2013

Somehow I don't think that's going to change my original view that family computer guy has some serious issues with ethics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Feed Me A Cat posted:

I missed that bit, I was thinking he was just cobbling together bargain bin parts and that's why none of the pictures on the Lenovo website match, because it's custom you see :downs: I'm undecided as to whether it'd be worse to do that or if the added laziness of going with a pre-built and changing some options via drop-down menu is somehow extra scumbag despite the lesser profit involved. I also completely neglected to factor in:

Somehow I don't think that's going to change my original view that family computer guy has some serious issues with ethics.

WHy does he need to use a Lenovo? Isn't the point of having a custom-built desktop is that it's just a lot of different parts thrown together?

• Locked thread