Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

404notfound posted:

I loved the idea of Rouge Hematite, and I love Fuyu-syogun as a gray ink, so a shiny gray ink has got me all hot and bothered. Just wondering now how to best keep it in my pen without it gumming up the nib/feed or settling at the end of the converter...

I'd ambush Alex Ross in a dark alley if I could steal her handwriting. She's brilliant with a pen. The Rouge Hematite was never that sexy when I wrote with it. I'm still going to try to get a sample of this one, though. I use my RH as a dip ink, now. I might get another Pilot Plumix that I can toss if it gets ruined, if I buy a bottle of this. I'm a sucker for sparkly and grey, so there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Decided it was time to buy some full bottles of ink instead of just samples. I really wanted to get a few Iroshizuku inks since they work wonderfully in my pens, but decided to go with a few cheaper inks for now so I could get some variety. Diamine Damson, De Atramentis Charles Dickens, and Noodles Air Corps Blue Black (which is really more of a green black) made the cut.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Can this take refills from normal pens? I don't wanna have to order my ink refills online.

It's got its own carriages, but the pen mechanisms aren't anything special. So if you can find something with the same form factor it could work.

Alternatively you could buy a rollerball and refill it from bottled ink.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

milpreve posted:

I'd ambush Alex Ross in a dark alley if I could steal her handwriting. She's brilliant with a pen. The Rouge Hematite was never that sexy when I wrote with it. I'm still going to try to get a sample of this one, though. I use my RH as a dip ink, now. I might get another Pilot Plumix that I can toss if it gets ruined, if I buy a bottle of this. I'm a sucker for sparkly and grey, so there you go.

I had some Rouge Hematite in my Ahab, always gunked it up. I'm tempted get a bottle of this to try it in my Eversharp Symphony 713. Goulet's out of stock, probably for the best as I have enough ink currently to probably last me 10+ years.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Verdugo posted:

I had some Rouge Hematite in my Ahab, always gunked it up. I'm tempted get a bottle of this to try it in my Eversharp Symphony 713. Goulet's out of stock, probably for the best as I have enough ink currently to probably last me 10+ years.

Yeah, I have a bottle of Rouge Hematite that I've only used with a glass dip pen, since I was concerned about the sediment and it's not really a color I'd use regularly anyway. This, though, I could use all day, so now I need to figure out how I can safely keep one of my pens inked up with it.

Really digging the fact that they came to their senses and are making another shiny 1670 ink. Bleu Ocean's not bad, but I can get a well-behaved blue anywhere.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
A family member seems pretty gung ho about buying me a fountain pen for my birthday, and is set on the Pelikan M205. It looks good, from what I've seen, but for $140, I can't help but think there are better choices. I'm kind of leaning towards saying "hey save money and get a TWSBI Vac 700 or 580" or if they're dead set at that price point, a Lamy 2000 or something. Has anyone had experience with a few of these, who can compare and contrast? For context, all I have right now is a Safari and a Vista, both EF.

e: As an aside, how often should I flush a pen if I'm using iron gall ink? I just got in a bottle of Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa and just want to make sure I won't gently caress up one of my pens if I wait too long.

Deviantfish fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 10, 2014

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Deviantfish posted:

A family member seems pretty gung ho about buying me a fountain pen for my birthday, and is set on the Pelikan M205. It looks good, from what I've seen, but for $140, I can't help but think there are better choices. I'm kind of leaning towards saying "hey save money and get a TWSBI Vac 700 or 580" or if they're dead set at that price point, a Lamy 2000 or something. Has anyone had experience with a few of these, who can compare and contrast? For context, all I have right now is a Safari and a Vista, both EF.
I own all of the ones you mentioned except for the Vac700. The pelikan m205 is, imo, not worth the asking price. The piston is very smooth as you'd expect from a piston from Pelikan, but the writing experience with the EF nib just doesn't match up to the Lamy 2000. It's one of the pens I actually have buyers remorse over: the other one is the Visconti Divina Elegance Midi, but that's for a completely different reason.

The piston on the Lamy 2000 isn't the best, but the nib will write very well. Also I find that it looks a lot better, but that's pretty subjective. Out of the pens you named the Lamy is probably the best pen to get. It's a durable piston filler with a very good if not great nib.

The TWSBI pens are nice but they really aren't in the same league as the Pelikan or the Lamy. The 580 is a nice beater pen that has a nail for a nib but if I lose it I wouldn't replace it.

As it is the 580 I own spends it's time collecting dust in my pen case. My pelikan m205 is neglected with what I'm pretty sure is Sailor Jentle Grenadine in it for God knows how long. At least with the Lamy 2k I occasionally fill it up to use and keep it maintained.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I've had an M200 (which is essentially the same as the M205 I believe, just with gold plated trim instead of silver) with a cursive italic Richard Binder nib for poo poo I think probably a decade now and it's still one of my favorite pens. I had a Lamy 2000 for a while and hated it. I have a TWSBI Mini and it's fairly comparable to the M200 in terms of performance, but I like the M200 better aesthetically.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Deviantfish posted:

e: As an aside, how often should I flush a pen if I'm using iron gall ink? I just got in a bottle of Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa and just want to make sure I won't gently caress up one of my pens if I wait too long.

Iron gall, I would do every time. If I'm remembering correctly, it's acidic and sedimentatious, so you should be fastidious with your cleaning. Every other time is fine enough probably, but especially for a nice pen I'd be a little overly cautious.

For that price point, I'd get the Lamy 2000. Or a Pilot Custom 74, I got one as a gift and I adore it! My best pen but it will sadly never leave my desk for fear of losing it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Or hell why not get a Pilot/Namiki Falcon?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Noctone posted:

Or hell why not get a Pilot/Namiki Falcon?

Less capacity than a C74 or L2000.

Also, the Vanishing Point.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Deviantfish posted:

I'm in a pretty similar position, only I don't have a particular model in mind. If someone really wants to get me something fancy I'm not going to say no, but I have no strong opinions on what I want and these responses have named every single one I've considered. Good luck!

Also I can't speak for iron galls generally, but I had my Safari inked with Scabiosa recently and mostly lying idle for.. three weeks, I think? I wound up putting most of it back in its sample tube since I wasn't doing as much writing as I anticipated, but I didn't have any problems. I'd consider not letting it sit for quite that long between flushes, but if you do it shouldn't be the end of the world.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Welsper posted:

Less capacity than a C74 or L2000.

Also, the Vanishing Point.

But semi-flex!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Omg I just bought washi tape for the first time and it is amazing

I have a M205 with Richard Binder 0.4 stub and 0.6 cursive italic, and the writing is really nice. However, the threads on the body is super deep and precisely at the part where it rests on my middle finger, so if I write for long periods of time my finger hurts :( I love love the stub nib though. If you will get a M205 I'd definitely recommend getting a custom ground nib.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
My everyday pen is an M205 with a standard F nib. It's nothing special to write with but nothing bad either. I've barely used my TWSBIs since I got the Pelikan; the nib is slightly softer, which I prefer. The pen itself is nice and small, if you like small pens.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

gently caress. My Vac700's cap just broke ... the plastic snapped above the metal ring.

I know they'll replace it, but it's annoying. It's the second time it's happened ... a Diamond 530 broke that way too. Unfortunately they sent me a 540 cap, which didn't fit. Ended up just throwing that pen out rather than pursuing it further.

Still haven't had my defective Lamy 2000 serviced. The Canadian rep ignored two emails and a phone call.

Still have my Twsbi Micarta at least which writes great.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 10, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They sent me a new cap for my 530 too but it wound up working OK even though the threads are different. It feels like it's cross threaded but I've been using it like that for quite a while now without any issues.

Too bad about the Lamy—the US guy is great.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah... the US guy was really responsive and helpful ... until he realised I was based in Canada. My original Lamy 2000 was by far the best pen I've ever used, but it fell out of my pocket.

The 540 cap just didn't seem to fit well for me at all, and it wouldn't encase the nib in the inner sheath. Meant it dried out sooner, and got messy if the pen was jostled while in my bag.

I have an Al-Star which has never let me down, but generally I leave an italic nib on it, and use it for Christmas cards heh.

edit: Twsbi already replied, but asked me to contact them in a couple of weeks because they're out of spares at the moment.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 10, 2014

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
UK goons: looks like we can wangle some noodler's ink. Massdrop is doing a 2-pen, 2-bottle drop and it says they'll ship to the UK!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Oops I went and spent over $400 on pens and ink yesterday.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Noctone posted:

Now you can't say that and not tell us what you got...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Noctone posted:

Story of my life here.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

New Massdrop for Rhodiarama Webnotebooks in the new 5.5x8.25 size. Some of the colors are really cool. I'm tempted, even though I don't really need any more notebooks right now...

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Getting a bottle of BSB and a Konrad specifically for ruining with it in the Noodler's Massdrop. Gonna see what this Baystate poo poo is all about.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

atholbrose posted:

New Massdrop for Rhodiarama Webnotebooks in the new 5.5x8.25 size. Some of the colors are really cool. I'm tempted, even though I don't really need any more notebooks right now...

I am probably in the minority here, but I really am not that big of a rhodia fan. I find that the paper is wayyyy to smooth, and that ink can often sit on top instead of soaking in and drying.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I bought one Rhodia pad. It features feathering and bleedthrough. Sticking with Oxford now.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

atholbrose posted:

Now you can't say that and not tell us what you got...

Oh right.

Gunmetal gray/matte black Vanishing Point, F
Black/rhodium Falcon, SF
Couple of Konrads to dick around with
Bottle of Rouge Hematite
Five bottles of Iroshizuku: yama-budo, yu-yake, shin-ryoku, ina-ho and chiku-rin

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I've had pretty good luck with the standard Rhodia pads, but yeah the webnotebooks with Clairefontaine paper can be too smooth for fountain pens. e: inasmuch as the drying time for anything that writes even remotely wet is too long for a notebook that you generally use for quick notes.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 13, 2014

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips, ended up with a Lamy 2000 with an F nib that I'm pleased as punch with. I was also looking into the Custom 74, and kind of want a fancier demonstrator than my beater Safari, however it only comes in F and M. Internet rumblings seem to make it seem like the soft fine-medium nib is the bee's knees because it'll flex, however that isn't available as a demonstrator. Anyone have any experience with that particular one?

Deviantfish fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 13, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Deviantfish posted:

Internet rumblings seem to make it seem like the soft fine-medium nib is the bee's knees because it'll flex, however that isn't available as a demonstrator. Anyone have any experience with that particular one?

It's OK, I don't write w/modern soft nibs and it doesn't really flex. I'd call it springy at best. Be careful not to be overly zealous and end up a w/sprung nib :sweatdrop:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/2j23ry/is_there_any_way_to_repair_the_nib_of_my_namiki/

And no they don't sell separate replacement Pilot nib units.

Alder fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 14, 2014

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011
The urge of buying a waterman carene has haunted me since a few years now....should I?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you're asking this thread a question like that, you've already decided to buy it. Go for it.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Zadus Rejan posted:

The urge of buying a waterman carene has haunted me since a few years now....should I?

If you like your nibs stiff you can't ask for a better pen. The inlaid nib is very pretty and my carene in fine is very smooth.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zadus Rejan posted:

Yes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zadus Rejan posted:

The only complaint I have with my Carene is that it looks like a toe.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Always Be Purchasing

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Do you really need a pen that costs hundreds of dollars? What do you have already?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol as if "need" is part of the vocabulary here

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

Do you really need a pen that costs hundreds of dollars? What do you have already?

Multiple jinhao, lamys ( 1 accent and 2 logo s and m) and rottring for day to day use. I also have a falcon 50 but in bad shape.
But yes, I guess asking here was already the answer. Thanks Thelonious Monk, that's what I wanted to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
Is there something a step up from the Pilot Metro that's got better ink capacity but is still made of metal? The Lamy and TWSBI models look nice, but they also look kind of like, well, toys I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like my fancy fountain pens to be equally fancy on the outside too.

Price is important, but if I have to shell out something like 40-75 dollars, I can just wait until the end of the month when I get my commission check. Had a good month and a new pen would be a good pat-on-the-back gift, I think.