Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Wengy posted:

I just set up my GF's 4S this morning and it felt so weird after owning a 6 Plus for only one week. I could never go back, holy poo poo.

Hedonic adaptation does, in fact, still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jewigi posted:

I somehow got the camera application on my 4s to be upside down, the big white button is near the ear piece and I can't get it to be normal. I'd take a picture but I CAN'T, is this a known bug?

I get this frequently (my last picture was upside down on my computer, but Instagram had no problem with a recent picture taken minutes before that). One weird fix I read online that is working for me is to open the Compass app. It goes right into a calibration screen as soon as you launch it. This fixes it for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What a bunch of clickbait garbage. "Finland Blames Apple for Economic Problems" http://finance.yahoo.com/news/finland-blames-apple-economic-problems-184600796.html

(They're talking about Nokia)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They should probably be blaming Microsoft.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jewigi posted:

I somehow got the camera application on my 4s to be upside down, the big white button is near the ear piece and I can't get it to be normal. I'd take a picture but I CAN'T, is this a known bug?

Yes. I had the same thing happens o me on my 6+ with the new iOS. It has orientation issues.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

They should probably be blaming Microsoft.

Nokia was in the trash well before Microsoft touched them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

What a bunch of clickbait garbage. "Finland Blames Apple for Economic Problems" http://finance.yahoo.com/news/finland-blames-apple-economic-problems-184600796.html

Thanks for passing on this admitted garbage article so everyone can read this garbage article on how garbage it is.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I have an Otterbox Commuter for my 5C. It's cool and stuff but the neon green is getting dirty and the rubberized parts of the case are turning black from months of pocket dirt or whatever. I'm thinking of getting a new case and maybe something less bulky so I can enjoy a really slim phone. Do those Poetic Atmospheres do okay against drops, or should I suck it up and just stick with what I have? The Commuter feels like overkill since I take good care of my phone, but I need drop survival because I do drop phones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I am really enjoying the black leather Apple case on my 6. I went caseless on my 5 and it is pretty dinged up and I'm lucky I never broke the screen (I did crack the back glass insert.)

The black leather just feels like a premium product, doesn't add much thickness, and hides the ugly back. A win all around.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

kitten smoothie posted:

It sounds like there are full-bleed (for lack of a better term) glass screen protectors in the pipeline. Spigen has one shipping on 11/5.

Got a link? I'm looking in their site and couldn't find mention.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Feenix posted:

Got a link? I'm looking in their site and couldn't find mention.

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6/iphone-6/iphone-6-screen-protector-glas-tr-slim-4-7.html

Also this one for the 6+

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6/iphone-6-plus/iphone-6-plus-screen-protector-glas-tr-slim.html

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

"Apple made a smartphone OS that was actually useful and we continued to rest on our laurels making lovely devices a bloo bloo bloo my share price"

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

smackfu posted:

I am really enjoying the black leather Apple case on my 6. I went caseless on my 5 and it is pretty dinged up and I'm lucky I never broke the screen (I did crack the back glass insert.)

The black leather just feels like a premium product, doesn't add much thickness, and hides the ugly back. A win all around.

Agreed, I have it on my 6+ and it just feels good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

This looks interesting, I will consider getting it. I wonder if it works with the regular leather Apple case for the 6+ or if it makes it to thick at the edges.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
In preparation to resell my iPhone 5, I sent it away to Apple to get my broken sleep button fixed. (The issue actually started, like, a week before the iPhone 6 came out, weird.) It was eligible for the free repair. I asked if I could get the battery replaced too, even though it wasn't eligible for the freebie. I also asked if they'd be able to clean the dirt out of the lens of the camera that was causing a small speck in pictures. They said they don't clean them, they just replace parts and refurbish the phone itself. When I picked it up, they said that the battery was replaced, and I have verified that the camera is clean.

But... wait a minute, I've got a dead pixel instead. Has this always been here? Ah well, it's only one.

...or two. Or...

What the gently caress? I have over 20 dead pixels on the upper part of the screen. I've never noticed this before. Yeah, it's hard to see on such a dense pixel screen. Could it be that I'm just noticing this now because I'm looking for it? Or, along with replacing the battery and camera, did they swap out my screen for some reason? I'm sure I have the same phone, or at leas the same chassis. I have the same minor marks on the edges that I remember.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Just take it back already.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Does anyone know when the 6 will be available in the Apple stores? As in, actually walking into an Apple store and buying one.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
When supply has surpassed demand by enough of an amount that the store is able to have them in stock? I'm not sure what you'd expect more than that.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Zwille posted:

Just take it back already.

Yea listen to this guy, you get like a 30 or 90 warrantee on replacement stuff. I got a new 5 shortly before my 1 year warrantee ended. The new phone started have screen blackout issues a month later outside of the 1 year and they had me covered.

When in doubt, go to the fruit stand.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

POCKET CHOMP posted:

When supply has surpassed demand by enough of an amount that the store is able to have them in stock? I'm not sure what you'd expect more than that.
People picking up a rough estimate shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility IMO.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Xabi posted:

People picking up a rough estimate shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility IMO.

I walked into the local att store on launch day and was out in 25 minutes. Depends on where you are. Just call and see what stock is like before heading out.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
The battery life on the 6+ is unreal. I charge it about once every three days with moderate daily use (not much streaming, but plenty of web browsing, texting, and using apps). My old 5 would die around 2-3pm after a full night's charge.

Xabi posted:

Use this site to track availability rather than waiting in line like a pleb. I walked into a Target two weeks ago and just picked up a 6+ without any issues.

Seph fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 14, 2014

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

beeman posted:

sorry if this has been discussed already. I have another year on my 5s contract. Is there a possibility Apple will keep updating its 4 inch screen iphone platform? just curious

A few pages back, but I wanted to add that the federal government (DHS at least) just switched over to the 4S from blackberry. I'd say it's highly likely they'll keep supporting all the way back to the 4S for the foreseeable future since Uncle Sam probably won't upgrade for a while. Basically the 4S got Windows XP'd by the government

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple technically supports and will repair all models of iPhone back to the original, but that doesn't mean they will continue to offer software updates. I really wouldn't expect the 4s to get iOS 9, and I really doubt DHS will care at all as long as whatever apps (of which there's probably only a handful) they use continue to work on whatever phone they're using, which probably isn't too difficult to ensure.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Xabi posted:

Yes, as long as by "people" you mean "Apple supply chain managers" because actual supply data is likely confidential information. We don't have that information so the best guess is "when you see your store has them in stock."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mogomra posted:

Ok, I don't wanna get phone AIDS. :ohdear:

Since you aren't using an android phone you are already protected against that.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking for a way to add calls to my call log anyone got one?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Call people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or have people call you.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Can you call yourself?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

various cheeses posted:

Can you call yourself?

Only if you're inside your house.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks guys! But I'm looking for a way to add a specific number that I didn't call at a specific time when I didn't call so I can be like, "Hey look, I called you!"

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Reason posted:

Thanks guys! But I'm looking for a way to add a specific number that I didn't call at a specific time when I didn't call so I can be like, "Hey look, I called you!"

You sound like an adulterer.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Reason posted:

There is no way to do this.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

something clever posted:

You sound like an adulterer.

Jailbreaking is for Adulterers.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Reason posted:

No, you cannot spoof your call history, sorry. Maybe the person you're trying to trick will be dumb enough to accept a Photoshopped screenshot.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I want to hear Reason's excuse for needing this. :munch:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Reason posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Didn't want that gf/fiancee/wife anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Maybe they're trying to cover for missing work or something