Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I have a lecturer who looks very like Alex McQueen, it's creepy.

Approximately 100% of female primary school teachers in the country could be Missy :ohdear:

It's more that courtney started saying "I should call you MISS, it fits you " for no real reason in the middle of an episode

Could just be that it was a lovely episode, could be a writer thinking he's being clever or somethng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I am very vaguely unsettled by Dreamtime and it's not because of the quality of the story, but the fact of the subject matter. The premise is a familiar one - the world is ending and inhabitants of Earth are preparing to move off-world in order to survive. This has been referenced multiple times in various episodes of Doctor Who and this story could be in reference to any number of those events (or its own unique disaster), though it seems to fit in most smoothly with the solar flare danger that saw various nations pack up their citizens into starships and head out into the stars. This raises questions about nationalities, ties to the earth, culture etc. What's problematic about this story isn't that it heavily involves an indigenous culture and their link to the land, but the cultural appropriation of these things.

The story strongly features the use of Aboriginal myths, the notion of Dream Time and various personifications of death, chaos, and the importance both of a connection to the land as well as a oneness with ancestry. That's great stuff... except all these things happen in the total absence of any actual Aborigines. Everybody in this story is, for want of a better word, white. Those opposed AND those who embrace the culture are white people. They start as antagonists, then thanks to the Doctor's meddling become enthusiastic and committed followers of the spiritual world they find themselves living in.... but it's all about them and nobody else. The actual Aborigines are never "seen" as characters, just sometimes heard as a dull roar of indistinct protestors near the start of the story, later referenced as having been quickly absorbed into the Dreaming because their link to the land was stronger than the Dream Commandos could have ever been. There's just this overwhelming sense of paying lip-service to the strength of the Aboriginal spirit while simultaneously dismissing them from the entire story. Even Baiame, Creator-God/Sky Father of the Aborigine people, is played by a white Englishman with a voice that sounds very much like a white Englishman doing an impersonation of an white Australian attempting an Aborigine accent. Baiame - who rather pointedly is treated as NOT a God, but just a VERY old human being - is also very much in a passive role despite his paternal/deified nature. He allows himself to be convinced by the Doctor to change his mind and save the white people when he attempts to move the land from the Earth, and has to call on the Doctor for help when the Galyari attack. The Doctor even chides him like a child for his plea, telling him to do something for himself until the Doctor can save the day. Maybe I'm just reading a bit much into it, but for me there was very much a sense of a slightly patronizing tone to the whole thing - yes they talk up the wonder and validity of the Aborigines' spiritual beliefs, but at the same time they co-opt them or otherwise seek to control them. The end of the story where the Doctor manipulates this spiritual power through the use of technology also seems to endorse the superiority of white colonial culture over indigenous belief - while acknowledging that it exists and has power, it is a power that can be misled, controlled or otherwise manipulated by thinking men.

I've never been a fan of the outright supernatural in Doctor Who (Loups-Garoux suffered immensely in this regard for me) but in this case I think they needed to either go whole hog or not bother. The story tries to have it both ways with the Galyari positing alternative explanations for Baiame's powers, and even Baiame himself suggests that he is simple an old man who corrals the collective power (psionic) of his "people". But at the same time you have the Dream Commandos scoffing at these attempts at explanations, for them the power is real and their belief is solid. It's a fine line to walk and I don't think Dreamtime does it particularly well, it's a story that can't quite decide what it wants to be.

Supporting character wise, Hex and Ace both gets lots of stuff to do but nothing that really seems to speak to either of their characters. Their roles are oddly reversed where Hex is the one who goes on the rescue mission for the Doctor while Ace is lumped in with the commandos and troopers without being really accepted as one of them (so is she there for her own protection? Wouldn't that suit the inexperienced Hex better)? Hex at least makes note of this when he discovers he was selected for the rescue mission because the Doctor needs somebody he feels a deep connection with to save him, which makes him rather woefully inappropriate as they've really only just met. He stumbles through peril after peril and Ace does the same, in the latter case seemingly jumping between sympathies for either the Galyari or the Dream Commandos. The other characters are all basically unremarkable, apart from an unspoken but pretty apparent love affair (or unspoken crush?) going on between the two Galyari officers.

The storyline is rather confusing, as it's one of those predestination ones where the Doctor turns out to have been responsible for creating the situation he found himself in and tried to resolve. Along the way a lot of references to Aboriginal myth get thrown in and then discarded, including the dingo protectors (with requisite Lindy Chamberlain joke) which show up every so often and then just leave, or the personification of death taking on the Doctor's form and then.... just not being in the story anymore for no apparent reason. The resolution when it comes is an earned one in that all the breadcrumbs were laid down appropriately in the build-up, but it still gives me that rather uneasy sense of cultural appropriation.

Basically, Dreamtime is a pretty standard 7th Doctor story that attempts to marry a spiritual element to the show or at least create an air of mystery and that sense that there is more going on in the universe than anybody is really entirely aware of, including the Doctor. It throws a bit too much extraneous content at the listener, perhaps simply to make up time, but the resolution is one that is earned in the build-up to the climax. Hex and Ace are both poorly used and the Doctor is a bit too absent from much of the main story's action, but all three actors give solid performances and Hex is at least still an interesting person - I'd hate to imagine C'Rizz in the same situation. My major problem continues to be one of unease with the way the indigenous elements of the story were handled, and I'd be very interested to hear what other people thought about it, or if I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
An idea that occured to me recently:

Missy -> Mistress -> The Master is a woman now

Really makes you think............

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rita Repulsa posted:

It's more that courtney started saying "I should call you MISS, it fits you " for no real reason in the middle of an episode

Could just be that it was a lovely episode, could be a writer thinking he's being clever or somethng

...Kids in British schools pretty much call all female teachers 'Miss' and Courtney only reasserted it when Clara said she should use her first name.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fred is on posted:

It would explain the boyfriend line.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

Fred is on posted:

Missy -> Miss E -> Miss Evangelista -> Evilest Man Is Gas -> The Master is now made of sentient nanofog in the form of a woman

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

AlexG posted:

The Master is now made of sentient nanofog

listen to Mastermind...

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Fred is on posted:

Having a female Master seems like it would be a good idea but I'm almost certain they'd gently caress it up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

listen to Mastermind...

John Humphries is the Master? :aaaaa:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

John Humphries is the Master? :aaaaa:

no, the other one :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kinda hoping The Master is Chris Addison personally.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I have another casual viewer question, how good is time lord regeneration?

Could one come back from being beheaded or blown into pieces, what if one was impaled on a huge spike and died, would he regenerate only to immediately die again until he ran out of lives?

Or can they only come back from fancy space lasers and minor wounds?

I was falling asleep and then these questions popped in to my head and j must know...

What if one fell in to a very deep pit and died then regenerated stuck at the bottom of the pit, doomed to die of old age and regenerate over and over...

Ok thanks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A Time Lord can only regenerate if they are DYING, out right.

Be it stabbed through the chest or poisoned or whatever. Heart attacks.

You kill a Time Lord in the middle of their regeneration, they're dead for realzies. You out right kill a Time Lord before they can regenerate, such as beheading, they're dead dead.

Time Lords also can live in a single body nigh indefinitely. More likely one would starve to death in a hole than die of old age.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Burkion posted:

Be it stabbed through the chest or poisoned or whatever. Heart attacks.

You kill a Time Lord in the middle of their regeneration, they're dead for realzies. You out right kill a Time Lord before they can regenerate, such as beheading, they're dead dead.

Time Lords also can live in a single body nigh indefinitely. More likely one would starve to death in a hole than die of old age.

This helps, I misunderstood the dying and not being dead already part so now my mind is at peace.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DoctorWhat posted:

no, the other one :v:

Those loving looms again :argh:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Does a dalek beam not deliver instant death then?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Does a dalek beam not deliver instant death then?

No Time Lord has been DIRECTLY hit by the Dalek death beams.

Outside of the Time War and they all died pretty instantly, though if they were ALL Time Lords or not I don't know.

The one time the Doctor ever got hit by one, it was a glancing blow, so it didn't get the full effect- and he was dying pretty goddamn quickly, unable to hold it in at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Whereas the Fifth and Tenth (and maybe Third? I've actually never seen Planet of Spiders) were able to hold off regenerating for an extended period.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Gaz-L posted:

Whereas the Fifth and Tenth (and maybe Third? I've actually never seen Planet of Spiders) were able to hold off regenerating for an extended period.

Don't forget about Eleven, who might have held it off the longest.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris Knight posted:

Don't forget about Eleven, who might have held it off the longest.

Not really. Eleven was just dying of old age.

The Third Doctor, if some sources are to be believed, was in his TARDIS dying of that poison for years and years.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Burkion posted:

No Time Lord has been DIRECTLY hit by the Dalek death beams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx0LSM_qy7s

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The one time the Doctor ever got hit by one, it was a glancing blow, so it didn't get the full effect- and he was dying pretty goddamn quickly, unable to hold it in at all.

Excellent reading comprehension skills there champ.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Now that I rewatch it, yeah, it looks like it sortof bounced off slightly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Burkion posted:

What about Romana?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What about Romana?

Except for cheap tricks.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Time Lord can only regenerate based on the rules in play in the current story. That's totally how Doctor Who works.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

david... posted:

I have another casual viewer question, how good is time lord regeneration?

Could one come back from being beheaded or blown into pieces, what if one was impaled on a huge spike and died, would he regenerate only to immediately die again until he ran out of lives?

Or can they only come back from fancy space lasers and minor wounds?

I was falling asleep and then these questions popped in to my head and j must know...

What if one fell in to a very deep pit and died then regenerated stuck at the bottom of the pit, doomed to die of old age and regenerate over and over...

Ok thanks.

Turn Left had The Doctor drowning and being unable to regenerate due to being stuck underwater.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Eight died in the ship crash, and it took the Sisterhood bringing him back to life in order for him to have a shot at regeneration.

I wonder if he would have regenerated at the end of those six minutes anyway, since all the chalice did was give him a choice at what he wanted to be.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kinda hoping The Master is Chris Addison personally.

Read that as "Kinda hoping The Master is Adrian Chiles"

david... posted:

This helps, I misunderstood the dying and not being dead already part so now my mind is at peace.

That's all bunkum, regeneration works however it works at the time.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I wonder if he would have regenerated at the end of those six minutes anyway, since all the chalice did was give him a choice at what he wanted to be.

this is implied, yes. they only postponed his death and subsequent regeneration, so he could drink the goo in the cup and have a choice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Eight died in the ship crash, and it took the Sisterhood bringing him back to life in order for him to have a shot at regeneration.

That was probably the point of the chalice. Rather than inducing the actual regeneration, it merely shaped it.

edit: drat you, Attitude Indicator! :rant:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Read that as "Kinda hoping The Master is Adrian Chiles"

lol that would be a great twist on things

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Senor Tron posted:

Turn Left had The Doctor drowning and being unable to regenerate due to being stuck underwater.

I don't think that's what they intended. You don't see he's face because he's meant to have regenerated and then drown, using all his chances up.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Missy is Courtney Woods. You heard it here first.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

qntm posted:

Missy is Courtney Woods. You heard it here first.

Nah, heard that before

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I'm about to go back in time and make it known earlier.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think that's what they intended. You don't see he's face because he's meant to have regenerated and then drown, using all his chances up.

That's one interpretation but the dialogue in the episode suggests that he simply died too quickly and was dead before having chance to regenerate. He has a discussion with Wilf later on in the series that says that can happen.

I'm all in favour of the idea that he used up all his regenerations underwater though, because I like when shows get morbid like that.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Fred is on posted:

Perhaps taking a female form to swoon the doctor after the "beard" comment?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What about Romana?

mumble mumble... listen to Gallifrey etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

After The War posted:

mumble mumble... listen to Gallifrey etc...

Of course, the Mary Tamm 4DAs kinda-sorta wrinkle the issue...

• Locked thread