Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The idea of an Apple TV that plays Vita games and lets you use your PS4 on a second display in another room is a pretty appealing one, especially at a $99 price point. Unfortunately the Playstation TV seems to have failed to deliver on that promise. The PS4 remote play is ok but not perfect, the Vita compatibility is there for a lot of titles but missing some important ones, and it's not even close to a replacement for an Apple TV box.

Hopefully a lot of that can be fixed with software updates. Improved compatibility for the missing Vita titles, a few media apps like Netflix/YouTube and the various NFL/NHL/MLB streaming apps would go a long way into making it a more attractive purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

CrashCat posted:

And then they didn't even go through the effort to make all the PS+ games compatible so they could lure people with the promise of playing a bunch of free games they already got. It's just baffling.

There isn't even a PS+ section in the PSTV store. :confused:

I found one good use: I can now play Mega Man Maverick Hunter X with a real controller. :hellyeah:

Options for PSP games are limited, though. I can only choose to delete local data and change the right stick. No options for graphics-smoothing nor PSP color scale. I think both aren't activated anyway, unless they are hidden somewhere else.

Another small annoyance: if you have both a Vita and PSTV, you have to manually log in to PSN on one device after using the other device. I think that is due to only being able to use one portable at a time under a PSN account.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

univbee posted:

The following DO NOT WORK
Germinator
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Sine Mora
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
Germinator boots up for me without the incompatibility error, the US version at least. Still in the process of downloading virtually everything I own to the PSTV (the speeds are SO SLOW :().

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Now that it's released and people have had a look at it is there any reason to get a US Playstation TV over an Asian Vita TV? Do they work exactly the same?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

Now that it's released and people have had a look at it is there any reason to get a US Playstation TV over an Asian Vita TV? Do they work exactly the same?

Case color, X/O assigned to Cancel/Confirm, and that homepage thing seem to be the only unchangeables, and it's otherwise exactly the same.

gibbed posted:

Germinator boots up for me without the incompatibility error, the US version at least. Still in the process of downloading virtually everything I own to the PSTV (the speeds are SO SLOW :().

Weird, I'll try it again, maybe there was a patch I missed. Also, use the content manager and never have to redownload anything again.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

univbee posted:

Also, use the content manager and never have to redownload anything again.
Thank you for pointing this out, I had completely forgotten this was available for PC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gibbed posted:

I redownloaded it from the store and it worked this time (and it had a warning about incompatibility when I downloaded it too). I suspect they may have done a subtle replacement of the online SKU in a way where my old download doesn't register against it. So...maybe other games I dismissed as incompatible will work after all. :eng99:

I redownloaded those 3 incompatible PSP games to check but they are definitely not working (and I didn't get a compatibility warning on the store). Can anyone with a US unit try them too?

Worth noting is that patching PSP games through the Vita is possible, as one of my Japanese games (Time Travelers) did exactly this (a 4 meg patch downloaded through the Vita interface exactly like a Vita game patch), although I'm not sure what they fixed in that case since I'm pretty sure the base game worked on the Vita TV already.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 15, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

PSP Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles also doesn't work :(

Every other PSP game I own is on the compatibility list.

Yup, doesn't work here either.

That said PSX version of SOTN does work. I don't have your other PSP games to test unfortunately.

Others not on the list that work:
Alundra
Suikoden (as said)
Grandia

flyboi fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 15, 2014

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

I searched through the thread and didn't see an answer to this, hopefully it's not a repeat. Does the PS TV allow you to join a PSN Party and voice chat while using PS4 remote play?

Until an update a few months back if you had direct connect to the Vita turned off it was possible to join a PSN party in the Party app and then start PS4 remote play so you could chat with friends while playing PS4 on the Vita. Now, launching the remote play app always resets the WiFi connection on the Vita even if direct connect is off. This dumps you from your party.

If I can voice chat and remote play on the PS4 at the same time the PSTV is a instant-buy for me for the bedroom.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I don't know specifically, but in general the answer to "does X thing work better than on Vita" is always no. I don't know why they don't just shove the party through the same Remote Play connection though, that sounds like lazy design.

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

If you join the party on the PS4 through remote play you can hear the chat but it does not forward the mic audio through remote play stream. I'm assuming it works exactly the same on the PS TV but I like to be optimistic.

It's doubly frustrating that this totally WORKED until they made an update.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

CrashCat posted:

I don't know specifically, but in general the answer to "does X thing work better than on Vita" is always no. I don't know why they don't just shove the party through the same Remote Play connection though, that sounds like lazy design.

This entire thing is lazy design. They could have done so much more with this.

1) 1080p native support. I mean come on, I cannot believe this even has to be mentioned to them.

2) HD movie support from their set top. Right now you can only rent/buy SD content from their shop. Really? It's 2014.

3) The PS Vita Scaling isn't that great. I forced my PS3 to 720p and ran Child of Light, it looked fantastic. I used my Vita Memory card which has my Vita Child of Light version on it, and 544p upscaled to 720p within the PS TV and thrown to the TV looks significantly worse.

4) Lack of common every day apps. How hard is this to include on your first offering now that every set top streaming box has support for Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon Prime (Unless you have Apple TV which wants to grow iTunes)

5) 802.11n single band... When trying to promote PlayStation Now and Remote play... Facepalm.

6) Why can't I remote play from my PS Vita to my PS TV similar to how I can remote play my PS4 to my PS Vita with a direct connection? They are really going to make me detach my Nyko controller grip from the Vita, take out the Memory card I want to use, place the memory card in the PS TV, Activate the games for use, and then I can play - rather than just let me place a Vita within range of the PSTV and direct connect and use a DS3 or DS4.

Seriously with those 6 things fixed, I would probably buy a PS TV for every LED TV I have across my house.

Course, the good part of all this? Amazon messed up and sent me two PlayStation TV's. One with an invoice, one without. I did the honest thing and told Amazon about it - they sent me an RMA and will credit my account in full and let me keep the other PS TV for free. So I guess I cannot complain much any more now that it is free :)

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 15, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Can anyone with other PSP "transfer-only from a PS3" games check if they can get them to work? Stuff like Gran Turismo PSP.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
CAn you acutally use multiple controlelrs with this and also does it count towards Vita activations or is it separate?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

univbee posted:

Worth noting is that patching PSP games through the Vita is possible, as one of my Japanese games (Time Travelers) did exactly this (a 4 meg patch downloaded through the Vita interface exactly like a Vita game patch), although I'm not sure what they fixed in that case since I'm pretty sure the base game worked on the Vita TV already.

Would it theoretically be possible to download that user-made FFT patch that fixes its slowdown?

e: was that even a patch, or did the person just totally hack into the files?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Squelch Hardon posted:

CAn you acutally use multiple controlelrs with this and also does it count towards Vita activations or is it separate?

No it will let you use 2 controllers fine.

And no, you cannot use the patched FFT on Vita without the CFW hacks that come out at times.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This was a dumb and bad launch for something that really should've been cool. I don't get what is lost in the translation between a PSP game that works on a Vita but doesn't work on a Vita inside of a consolized shell.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Grimace posted:

e: was that even a patch, or did the person just totally hack into the files?

I think it was a firmware hack, actually.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Welp, gently caress.

But yeah, biggest let-down is definitely something like not being able to play Dracula X Chronicles. I was ready to buy that game again in a heartbeat. :negative:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Well that was special. Decided to grab SAO from the store on my Vita "well I'll pop in my memcard and play from my PSTV"

Vita was out of date "ok system update!"

Forgot last time I used this thing I was on an airplane, it was in airplane mode.

Says CAN'T UPDATE, IN AIRPLANE MODE BOOTING YOU TO MENU. OH BTW, WE CAN'T READ YOUR MEMORY CARD SO WE'RE DELETING EVERYTHING!

Jesus loving christ. At least all my saves are in PS+.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Squelch Hardon posted:

...also does it count towards Vita activations or is it separate?

It is part of the PSP/Vita group of activations, and the maximum is 3 handhelds per account. Funny enough, it shows up as a Vita, not as a PSTV under online account settings.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos

univbee posted:

Can anyone with other PSP "transfer-only from a PS3" games check if they can get them to work? Stuff like Gran Turismo PSP.

Gran Turismo PSP loaded for me to the main game menu, then I killed it. :)

For what it's worth, The Force Unleashed also worked from what I let load before moving on.

pastis fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 16, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That is good news and just makes the whole "these specific 3 games don't work because gently caress you" even weirder.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I got Atelier Rorona today because I've had $40 sitting in my PSN account for almost half a year and said gently caress it. Works great, fun game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had no idea any PSP games didn't work. That's all I use the thing for right now (that is to say, Super Robot Wars Z2-1 and Z2-2, which still look pretty badass on a big screen).

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
From PSTV story on Gizmodo

quote:

Hulu is currently working with Sony on the issue, but a Netflix representative told us point-blank: "We have no current support plans for Netflix on PS TV."
:pwn:
Welp, that's that, then.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I was going to remove the titles I got from PS+ but I figured I may as well just leave them in. Here's what I've tested.

Compatible (PSV):
- Best of Board Games
- ✚BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND
- ✚Chronovolt
- CounterSpy
- Dead Nation
- Don't Starve: Giant Edition
- ✚Dragon's Crown
- Entwined
- ✚FEZ
- ✚Foosball 2012
- ✚Germinator
- God of War Collection
- Hohokum
- Hotline Miami
- Imaginstruments*
- ✚Jet Set Radio
- ✚Joe Danger
- ✚Knytt Underground
- ✚Limbo
- ✚Lone Survivor
- ✚Machinarium
- ✚Muramasa Rebirth
- ✚Mutant Mudds Deluxe
- ✚Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
- Persona 4 GOLDEN
- ✚Pinball Arcade
- ✚Pix the Cat
- ✚PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD
- ✚PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
- ✚Plants vs Zombies
- ✚Proteus
- ✚Rainbow Moon
- ✚Rayman Origins
- ✚Retro City Rampage
- Rogue Legacy
- ✚Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
- ✚Spelunky
- ✚Star Wars Pinball
- ✚Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark
- The Swapper
- ✚Thomas Was Alone
- Treasures of Montezuma Arena
- Toro's Friend Network
- ✚TxK
- ✚Velocity 2X
- Velocity Ultra
- Warrior's Orochi 3 Ultimate
- Zen Pinball 2
- ✚Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
- ✚Zombie Tycoon 2: Brainhov's Revenge
* Requires you to enable "Use Touch Pointer" to emulate the touchpad.

Compatible (PSP):
- ✚Darkstalkers Chronicle The Chaos Tower*
- ✚Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
- ✚Gods Eater Burst
- ✚GTA: Liberty City Stories
- ✚Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
- ✚Metal Slug XX
- ✚Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
- ✚SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny
- ✚Tekken 6
* Gives an error about not enough free space on the memory stick.

Compatible (PSX):
- Is there a reason to list these? I assume all PSX games work.

Incompatible (Vita):
- ✚Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
- ✚Dokuro
- ✚Metrico
- ✚ModNation Racers: Road Trip
- ✚Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
- ✚Sine Mora
- ✚Smart As
- ✚Soul Sacrifice
- ✚Street Fighter X Tekken
- ✚Surge Deluxe
- ✚Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!!!
- ✚Terraria
- ✚Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- ✚Unit 13
- ✚Urban Trial Freestyle

gibbed fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 16, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Utnayan posted:

This entire thing is lazy design. They could have done so much more with this.

1) 1080p native support. I mean come on, I cannot believe this even has to be mentioned to them.

2) HD movie support from their set top. Right now you can only rent/buy SD content from their shop. Really? It's 2014.

3) The PS Vita Scaling isn't that great. I forced my PS3 to 720p and ran Child of Light, it looked fantastic. I used my Vita Memory card which has my Vita Child of Light version on it, and 544p upscaled to 720p within the PS TV and thrown to the TV looks significantly worse.

I think these are pretty important oversights, not properly supporting 1080p is pretty lazy, maybe they'll be fixed with a second revision?
I think I'll wait to get one cheap second hand.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks for the various trip reports, you guys. I've updated the list again, and made another section for games which are unlisted but compatible, and I'm mainly using Sony's web compatibility list. Here's the list as it stands now, anything I'm missing?

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland
Best of Board Games
Germinator (may require a complete re-download from the store, an transfer of an older installation might not work. Store will warn the game is incompatible but will work anyway)
Mutant Mudds Deluxe
Nidhogg
Pix the Cat
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
Soul Sacrifice Delta

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Probably going to buy one today, but I wonder if the Vita TV ever got it's list updated on legacy games. I really hope that when they update the list of working games they fix the three PSP games that won't work, even if the only one I really wouldn't mind working is Final Fantasy III, as I got the HD version of Peace Walker and the PS+ copy of SotN.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Is anyone able to download Final Fantasy V, Syphon Filter, Syphon Filter 2, or Syphon Filter 3? They're giving me errors in the PSTV store and the web store doesn't do anything when I try to download them.

Edit: was able to get Final Fantasy V and Syphon Filter 2 to download, but the other two aren't working.

univbee posted:

Thanks for the various trip reports, you guys. I've updated the list again, and made another section for games which are unlisted but compatible, and I'm mainly using Sony's web compatibility list. Here's the list as it stands now, anything I'm missing?
I did update my post a few times, but I don't think there's anything missing from your list.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gibbed posted:

Edit: was able to get Final Fantasy V and Syphon Filter 2 to download, but the other two aren't working.

I'm pretty sure I transferred them all from my previous Vita install (transferred from PS3) but I haven't tried to launch them yet. I can test them when I get home today if no one else beats me to it.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

univbee posted:

I'm pretty sure I transferred them all from my previous Vita install (transferred from PS3) but I haven't tried to launch them yet. I can test them when I get home today if no one else beats me to it.
Well, I specifically meant getting them to download. The errors I was getting actually may have been intermittent, I just tried downloading Syphon Filter and Syphon Filter 3 just now via the PSTV store to take a screenshot of the error and it's working now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Orgarhythm got removed from the compatibility list, does anyone have it and can confirm/deny?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Again, why can't it just run the Vita app?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got my Playstation TV and I'm quite happy with it. While it a shame there are some games not working, from the looks of it only four games on the memory card right now don't work, which I just move them to the bottom of the menu while it's in the unit. Surprise how good looking Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 looks on the thing, as I sold off my 360 copy when I sold the system and never bought a PS3 copy of it, so being able to play it on the big screen again is very nice. Also so glad that Crash/Spyro and Blood Omen do work on the thing after I got them put on the memory card back in April.

I mean it perfect, but the ability to play these games with a dualshock 4 and on the big screen is so much better. Playstation TV won't replace the Vita (which I kept), but it's a very nice accessory to have if you got one.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Is SKV compatible now?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh and mark Lumines as incomparability, not that I am surprised as it had a stupid touch screen to start prompt. Dunno why they bother putting in a "digital touchpad" option if they just going to whitelist any game that requires touch screen.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Rirse posted:

Oh and mark Lumines as incomparability, not that I am surprised as it had a stupid touch screen to start prompt. Dunno why they bother putting in a "digital touchpad" option if they just going to whitelist any game that requires touch screen.
You can emulate the touchpad by holding the PS button and going to Settings to turn on "Use Touch Pointer" (is that what you meant by digital touchpad?). This is actually a combination of clicking L3 or R3 then using the touchpad on the DualShock4 (don't know about DualShock3).

Does Lumines actually start, or does it give the error that it is incompatible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

gibbed posted:

You can emulate the touchpad by holding the PS button and going to Settings to turn on "Use Touch Pointer" (is that what you meant by digital touchpad?). This is actually a combination of clicking L3 or R3 then using the touchpad on the DualShock4 (don't know about DualShock3).

Does Lumines actually start, or does it give the error that it is incompatible?

The "this software can't be used" error when launching it.

• Locked thread