Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Are the fusions the same in both IS and EP?

And are the personas generally the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Ultimax VAs for Ken and Naoto are there for good, they both suck continuing the long history of both of the VAs for these characters sucking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mh3xKjBHVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3IPQXW5bM

It's a shame cause I really like Cindy Robinson, but it's just bad.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 16, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ken is just straight up Labrys now. Like, did they not even try to hide it? I haven't heard him in Ultimax.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 16, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't remember what Ken used to sound like because gently caress Ken so I don't care at all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

Ken is just straight up Labrys now. Like, did they not even try to hide it? I haven't heard him in Ultimax.

He sounds exactly the same.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: wait, gently caress

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 16, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

The Ultimax VAs for Ken and Naoto are there for good, they both suck continuing the long history of both of the VAs for these characters sucking.

As much as I really wished they had JP VAs I didn't mind it that much during P4 and P4G because I never knew what I was missing in the first place :v:

IDK if it's just me but ENG voiceovers always felt awkward not because of the pronunciation but how everyone sounds much older than their respective ages.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's basically anime and anime is always weird.

I really wish people would stop saying this.

theblackw0lf posted:

Are the fusions the same in both IS and EP?

And are the personas generally the same?

There's about twenty times as many fusion spells in EP as in IS. and they have mostly the same compendium, but with different art and there are some personae that are exclusive to each game. (there's only one CUSTOM persona in EP for example.)

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 16, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cdyoung posted:

:agreed:

anime is cool and if you disagree you can just get out!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Finished Innocent Sin, and just started Eternal Punishment.

Whoa the demon contact system seems different, and more involved.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cdyoung posted:

It's true, though. It's not a statement on the quality of it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
At the start of the game in Eternal Punishment, tell a random NPCs who asks for your birthday "HASTURCOMEFORTH" to get a copy of the King in Yellow which will enable you to summon Hastur near the end of the game.

Hastur.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Beef Waifu posted:

Ken has the exact same VA as he did in P3, she just changed her inflection to, y'know, represent a character who's going through puberty now in Ultimax. He pretty much sounds the same in Q.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No he didn't. Ken's voice actor in P3 sounds completely different from Cindy Robinson whose voice is insanely distinct. Ken's voice had more of a lisp to it and was actually a lot deeper in general for what was supposed to be a child voice. The voice actor didn't just magically change her voice for Ken in Ultimax and then transfer the style to Ken in Q, the voice actor straight up changed.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ken has the exact same VA as he did in P3, she just changed her inflection to, y'know, represent a character who's going through puberty now in Ultimax. He pretty much sounds the same in Q.

Are you sure? Google's telling me it was Brianne Siddall in P3.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's because it was. A lot of people thought it was Mona Marshall, but I really don't feel Marshall wouldn't just make Ken sound like Izzy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I thought Ken's voice work in Ultimax was really good. Especially when Shadow Ken was talking, he was very creepy. His actress is very good at pretending to be a mid-teen who is trying to sound like a Serious Adult.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've been rewatching Twin Peaks on Netflix (due to the recent announcement of a 25 Years later sequel), and I can't help but notice that Persona has quite a few Lynchian elements to it. The Velvet Room especially remind me of the whole Black Lodge thing. I mean, look at this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeiyyp1WbY0

Sure, the Velvet Room is a nice and comforting place, and Igor despite looking weird is much more of an ally than the dancing dwarf, but there's still a definite influence, I think. There's also all those dream visions and the whole killer in a small town thing with Persona 4...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Not to mention the coffee.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Really Pants posted:

Not to mention the coffee.

Mention the coffee.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've been rewatching Twin Peaks on Netflix (due to the recent announcement of a 25 Years later sequel), and I can't help but notice that Persona has quite a few Lynchian elements to it. The Velvet Room especially remind me of the whole Black Lodge thing. I mean, look at this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeiyyp1WbY0

Sure, the Velvet Room is a nice and comforting place, and Igor despite looking weird is much more of an ally than the dancing dwarf, but there's still a definite influence, I think. There's also all those dream visions and the whole killer in a small town thing with Persona 4...

Megami Tensei in general lifts concepts and designs from a LOT of movies and tv shows, just like they do mythology and religion. There are games with Beetlejuice and Christine the Car in them as demons, it's nothing too new. The vehicles in Strange Journey are straight out of Damnation Alley, there are plenty of other examples too if you dig around.

This is hilarious to me as an artist friend of mine used to lift things from Megami Tensei all the time back in high school and get praised for his originality :v: Something something art and imitation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Well of course. The first Persona borrowed a lot from Japanese Horror movies and books (with Eriko lampshading this by quoting Wicked City and such), as well as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and all the things Megaten borrows usually. I just never noticed the David Lynch/Twin Peaks influence before, which is prtty funny considering the original Velvet Room is pretty much a palette-swap of the red room from Twin Peaks. Ironically, with it's newfound popularity the Persona series has lost a lot of it's original weirdness and has become a lot more straigthforward. Persona 4, for all that I love it, really doesn't go far enough with it's premise, especially when compared to how crazy the Persona 2 games got.

What this means is David Lynch should direct a live-action adaptation of Persona. He's the only man for the job.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There's already 2 live action Persona 3 things, 2 for Persona 4 and 1 for Persona 4 Arena.

Also a talk show for some reason.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Dragonatrix posted:

There's already 2 live action Persona 3 things, 2 for Persona 4 and 1 for Persona 4 Arena.

Also a talk show for some reason.

Is this one of them? It is pretty awesome.

http://vimeo.com/58721997

Teddie is super creepy though, nothing new there.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Looks like Europe is finally getting SMT4
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/10/17/europe-will-get-shin-megami-tensei-iv-october-30th/

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

From the article posted:

In the month following the game’s release, Atlus will release the downloadable content for the game that is already available in Japan and the U.S., including additional quests and equipment.

That DLC better be free motherfuckers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Toadsniff posted:

Is this one of them? It is pretty awesome.

http://vimeo.com/58721997

Teddie is super creepy though, nothing new there.

I meant something good though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The_Frag_Man posted:

That DLC better be free motherfuckers.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I highly doubt that friend, Atlus seems to love their DLC as of late.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's true, though. It's not a statement on the quality of it.

It is. The weirder the anime, the better. Obviously. I don't just want anime where people summon demons. I want anime where people summon their inner demons through the medium of headshots to stave off an apocalypse driven by the psyche of the whole of mankind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've decided to do a Max Ambrosia run of Persona 1 Snow Queen Quest, because clearly I hate myself. Wish me luck.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've decided to do a Max Ambrosia run of Persona 1 Snow Queen Quest, because clearly I hate myself. Wish me luck.

Record both it, and your anguish.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

One of the few times scarecam isn't a garbo idea.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Is there a reward besides bragging rights for a 100%ed compendium in Persona 3 FES? I doubt I'll ever get there, just curious.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

StandardVC10 posted:

Is there a reward besides bragging rights for a 100%ed compendium in Persona 3 FES? I doubt I'll ever get there, just curious.

Nah

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thanatos Tower is my Vietnam.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

One thing that baffled/bothered me about Nocturne is how pretty much all demons of the Divine (and even Seraph) lineage allied themselves with the Reason of Yosuga, aka Social Darwinism. I knew some of the heavenly host were dicks, but I didn't think it would apply to ALL of them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I started playing Nocturne and I totally feel like I'm playing this game wrong despite having only beaten Forneus. SMTs give me this weird anxiety that I am slowly loving myself up. Going for a Str/Vit build, dabbling in Ag/Mg and ignoring Luck entirely.

Music's great, game looks great and what little I've gotten of the battle system is fun. The Magatama swapping system is neat, but I know losing skills forever is gonna cause me major anxiety.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 22, 2014

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I started playing Nocturne and I totally feel like I'm playing this game wrong despite having only beaten Forneus. SMTs give me this weird anxiety that I am slowly loving myself up. Going for a Str/Vit build, dabbling in Ag/Mg and ignoring Luck entirely.

Music's great, game looks great. The Magatama swapping system is neat, but I know losing skills forever is gonna cause me major anxiety.

If I remember Nocturne correctly you get really good melee skills only late in the game, while magic is pretty strong early on. Stuff like ice breath is pretty boss at the beginning of the game.
So investing in mag early is probably a good idea.

Please don't get a panic attack.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Music's great, game looks great and what little I've gotten of the battle system is fun. The Magatama swapping system is neat, but I know losing skills forever is gonna cause me major anxiety.

I ran the same Str build for my first run. It's fine going that route. While you wait for more crazy physical attacks get fog breath and war cry. Debuffs are crazy powerful in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Neurion posted:

One thing that baffled/bothered me about Nocturne is how pretty much all demons of the Divine (and even Seraph) lineage allied themselves with the Reason of Yosuga, aka Social Darwinism. I knew some of the heavenly host were dicks, but I didn't think it would apply to ALL of them.

It's not supposed to make sense, and you shouldn't think of the games as consistent with each other on anything except for a "rah rah humanity, we can do no wrong" message in the end.