Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Kaddish posted:

Played the first track, heard "Hello Teenage America" and rolled my eyes.

I dunno, sounds the same as the last several to me.

I think it's at least more interesting sound-wise than the last several albums. Definitely generic KMFDM tracks on there, but for example Blood vs. Money and Make Your Stand have some really cool production going on. I haven't listened to the album (or most of the songs) in full yet, mind you, maybe I just happened to pick out the best parts out when skipping around the album.

Future Days posted:

Speaking of which

Most definitely getting this though

edit: Naw, I think this really is pretty good. Standing by my statement that the production is interesting. There's a guitar bit towards the end of Get The Tongue Wet that sounds like something Trent Reznor could've done.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Future Days posted:

Speaking of which

Why not just print it onto blurays? Offering a hard drive option or a digital download option is weird. If it's too big for bluerays it's probably too big to feasably download comfortably.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I think it's at least more interesting sound-wise than the last several albums. Definitely generic KMFDM tracks on there, but for example Blood vs. Money and Make Your Stand have some really cool production going on. I haven't listened to the album (or most of the songs) in full yet, mind you, maybe I just happened to pick out the best parts out when skipping around the album.

I imagine it'll be like every KMFDM album since Hau Ruck for me where I'll listen to it a couple times around release, go "this isn't that bad, there's some salvageable stuff on here once you get past all the tired in-jokes," and then I'll never actually listen to it again, in favor of going back to the older material which is superficially similar but much more interesting.

This must be what being a Weezer fan feels like.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Being a Weezer fan means the new stuff retroactively ruins the old stuff. 90s KMFDM is still great.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

KMFDM died to me when Gunter and En Esch left.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I still enjoyed the Tim Skold phase, but it died for me when the band line-up stabilized.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

I still enjoyed the Tim Skold phase, but it died for me when the band line-up stabilized.

Same, last good album for me was Symbols.

Edit - I guess Skold was around after that but whatever.

poo poo, I forgot about some good stuff on Adios like Full Worm Garden.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 15, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I like Skold. But he couldn't save whatever the last album he was on. Attak was the last KMFDM I liked.

Attak sounds very similar to MDFMK (probably the same people doing it, I don't know). And I still go back and listen to both albums. But the main thing is that the songs were fun and written well. And they were different. It sounded fresh at the time. They toned down the self-referential cheese, which really only works when it's ironic (and it doesn't really sound ironic now). Plus it's my own teenage nostalgia. It was one of my big introductions to industrial music along with The Fragile.

New albums are not so fresh.

Oh Cat rear end! The floating head of Chris Pohl wants you to know about a new single coming out:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 15, 2014

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah, I like Skold. But he couldn't save whatever the last album he was on. Attak was the last KMFDM I liked.
Attak was the last album where he was anything resembling a key member (outside of Skold vs KMFDM, but I don't really consider that a main album).

quote:

Attak sounds very similar to MDFMK (probably the same people doing it, I don't know).
Yep, same lineup with more guests.

WWIII is the last one I can listen to with any kind of interest, and even there it's mostly due to Ray. The fact that there have been six albums since then is kind of amazing.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Attak being someone's teenage nostalgia makes me feel older than En Esch. Just gonna crank Cum and be like, oooooooh that's good

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Omi-Polari posted:

Oh Cat rear end! The floating head of Chris Pohl wants you to know about a new single coming out:

:spooky: :drac: :getin: :drac: :spooky:

mennoknight posted:

Attak being someone's teenage nostalgia makes me feel older than En Esch. Just gonna crank Cum and be like, oooooooh that's good

It's Hau Ruck for me :haw:

Hau Ruck is one of the better new-KMFDM albums, though. Never liked Attak much at all.

edit: I'll admit that it was my first KMFDM and there's probably a hint of rose in how I view it, but even despite that I think I can safely say Hau Ruck is one of the very few KMFDM albums that's also great as a whole and doesn't have any obviously terrible tracks. It's also pretty dark, relatively speaking, and doesn't even have the requisite self-referential cheese track.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 15, 2014

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

:spooky: :drac: :getin: :drac: :spooky:

It's Hau Ruck for me :haw:

Hau Ruck is one of the better new-KMFDM albums, though. Never liked Attak much at all.

edit: I'll admit that it was my first KMFDM and there's probably a hint of rose in how I view it, but even despite that I think I can safely say Hau Ruck is one of the very few KMFDM albums that's also great as a whole and doesn't have any obviously terrible tracks. It's also pretty dark, relatively speaking, and doesn't even have the requisite self-referential cheese track.

I got on board with Angst, and Hau Ruck is probably my least favorite KMFDM album. :shobon:

Then again, I tend to think the only KMFDM albums that really hold up are Naive - Symbols, with Nihil being the true classic of the bunch. And even then, Pig's output from around the same time beats it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

sethsez posted:

I got on board with Angst, and Hau Ruck is probably my least favorite KMFDM album. :shobon:

Then again, I tend to think the only KMFDM albums that really hold up are Naive - Symbols, with Nihil being the true classic of the bunch. And even then, Pig's output from around the same time beats it.

As Kaddish pointed out, Adios was pretty drat OK. The Ogre tracks are fun, you had the last of Esch's contributions, and aside from the bland thing with Nina Hagen the rest of the tracks are totally listenable.

After that, the only thing I really liked was "Last Things."

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Adios wasn't terrible and I prefer both of Ogre's tracks to the one on Symbols, but it's very uneven and seems about on par with Attak to me (mdfmk was far better than both).

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
:drac::hf::drac:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWBM2whL0bI

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

The only KMFDM I'll listen to is DJ Me's KMFDM Songs That Don't Suck Volumes 1-2 Curated by DJ Me. Their bad songs are so bad.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
What these "Old KMFDM vs. New KMFDM" discussions remind me of.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It could be that after a certain dose of their albums, no matter where you start, you reach your maximum lifetime limit of KMFDM and lose interest in them. I think I hit my limit with ADIOS.

I agree with sethsez that NIHIL is by far the best album. I don't know if it's Raymond's influence or what, but it's not nearly as sterile sounding as NAIVE or ANGST. XTORT seemed to go back to a bit of a drier sound.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

david_a posted:

It could be that after a certain dose of their albums, no matter where you start, you reach your maximum lifetime limit of KMFDM and lose interest in them.

I just think Sascha needs someone with an off-kilter pop sensibility to balance him out. En Esch, Ray and Tim all did a good job of injecting some weirdness into Sascha's standard mode of operation. They were the comics to Sascha's straight man. Without that dynamic everything kind of blends together.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sethsez posted:

I just think Sascha needs someone with an off-kilter pop sensibility to balance him out. En Esch, Ray and Tim all did a good job of injecting some weirdness into Sascha's standard mode of operation. They were the comics to Sascha's straight man. Without that dynamic everything kind of blends together.
Could be. From reading Wikipedia it seemed like Sascha always did most of the work, though. He claims to have written all the songs on NIHIL. From what I know En Esch and him had fairly dissimilar styles, so maybe the constant arguing helped tone him down :)

From taking a good look at their discography just now I'm actually surprised that the original NAIVE came before MONEY. I had the Hell To Go version and I assumed they had to churn that one out fairly quickly, not four years later. MONEY always sounded a bit... off to me. Probably due to the second half being pure filler after the record label rejected En Esch's contributions. NAIVE is on my mind since I happened to find the original last weekend at a library sale of all places for $1.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

david_a posted:

Could be. From reading Wikipedia it seemed like Sascha always did most of the work, though. He claims to have written all the songs on NIHIL. From what I know En Esch and him had fairly dissimilar styles, so maybe the constant arguing helped tone him down :)

From taking a good look at their discography just now I'm actually surprised that the original NAIVE came before MONEY. I had the Hell To Go version and I assumed they had to churn that one out fairly quickly, not four years later. MONEY always sounded a bit... off to me. Probably due to the second half being pure filler after the record label rejected En Esch's contributions. NAIVE is on my mind since I happened to find the original last weekend at a library sale of all places for $1.

back in the old days, when the original Naive was out of print due to the Carmina Burana lawsuit, I used to scour used shops across BC looking for it. I once traded it on usenet r.m.i. for: Freeze Frame Reality, some lovely Chemlab cd, and $40. Once, I got $120. People mailed me cheques like we were cavemen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I can't figure out if it's worth anything currently since the re-re-release unfortunately used the original cover / name. I'll probably just keep it anyway.

This makes 4 CDs I have with a unique mix of Godlike (both Naives, Money, single). Are there any more official versions?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

david_a posted:

I can't figure out if it's worth anything currently since the re-re-release unfortunately used the original cover / name. I'll probably just keep it anyway.

This makes 4 CDs I have with a unique mix of Godlike (both Naives, Money, single). Are there any more official versions?

There's also the Godlike 2010 single with reworked versions and remixes.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
My favorite was always Nihil, but that's only because Raymond Watts is the best. I wish Pig stuff was as easy to get and all over the loving place as KMFDM was.

There's usually at least one or two songs that end up staying on my iPod after I've listened to the new KMFDM album, but this one may not survive. The silly songs are too silly, and the serious songs lack bite. Maybe the inevitable remix album will improve on it.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

sethsez posted:

I just think Sascha needs someone with an off-kilter pop sensibility to balance him out. En Esch, Ray and Tim all did a good job of injecting some weirdness into Sascha's standard mode of operation.

Felt that for awhile myself. NIHIL, XTORT, and the Symbols album had great collabs on them. Raymond Watts, Ogre, Chris Connelly... pretty heavy hitters. Plus En Esch, an honest to god good Tim Skold track, and a few other oddities.

Now it's Sascha and wife making puns and self references.

Whatever I'll still end up buying it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

david_a posted:

It could be that after a certain dose of their albums, no matter where you start, you reach your maximum lifetime limit of KMFDM and lose interest in them.

A sound theory, I remember briefly owning a record by them and never having the urge to listen to it/them again.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Someone in Finland seems to like German industrial metal.

Eisbrecher (first show in Finland, ever)
In Strict Confidence (I believe for them as well)
Apoptygma Berzerk
Lord of the Lost (and for them, but can't say I like them)
To/Die/For
What About Bill? (not heavy or industrial per se, but it's a side project by the OOMPH! singer. It's pretty bad though. Also their first show in Finland)
Bloodparade
+ more bands

OOMPH! (first Finnish show in eight loving years)
Dead By April
Barbe-Q-Barbies
Jartse Tuominen
Cønstantine
O.S.P.
+ more bands

Rhapsody
Machinae Supremacy
Betzefer
Whispered
+ more bands

I'm p. excited :holy:

Remember this? They just confirmed new bands.

One of them just happens to be :spooky::drac:Blutengel:drac::spooky:

That festival is gonna be crazy :holy:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Remember this? They just confirmed new bands.

One of them just happens to be :spooky::drac:Blutengel:drac::spooky:

That festival is gonna be crazy :holy:
You're gonna love it.

SITD album snippets:

https://soundcloud.com/sitdmusic

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Omi-Polari posted:

You're gonna love it.

Oh yeah. I saw them for the first time at Amphi this year, but that was one of those special classical-acoustic shows they've been doing recently. It was easily one of the best concerts I saw at the festival, astoundingly beautiful and moving, but this'll be my first normal Blutengel show and it'll be sweeeettt

Edit: Oh and they also have this thing going on where the people who buy the Early Bird tickets (naturally I already bought mine) get to pick three bands they want to do a meet and greet with. Can't decide which ones to pick out of OOMPH!, Eisbrecher, Blutengel and In Strict Confidence, help

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 17, 2014

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Was given "industrial" for a dj genre challenge. I wouldn't call myself knowledgable on industrial music, but here is what I did:

https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz/steel-and-steam

Would appreciate any feedback, goons calling me an idiot and not even close, etc.

It's all electronic minus one track (kinda). I'd call the genres industrial, dark-downtempo, dark-electronica - but would prefer to be corrected as to what these styles actually are

e: tracklist for anyone weary:

code:
1. Vortex - Billy Dalessandro
2. manifest yourself - Sonic Area
3. Wolke - Milch-Labor 
4. Kippschwingungen part 8 - Frank Bretschneider 
5. Submarino - Allan Nielsen
6. Man's Garden - Mario Bajardi 
7. Sapphire - Allan Nielsen
8. Greater Geometry (ASC Remix) - RQ 
9. Transfurl - Rami Abraham 
10. Hydrus - Gatekeeper 
11. Barrier Free - Liza Nicklin 
12. Zero Station - FLVKE 
13. La Plage - Burnsfield 
14. Act of God - The Stanislavsky 
15. Vortex - Sidecar Tommy 
16. Visitor - Gatekeeper 
17. Vengier - Gatekeeper 
18. Mirror Fragment - Alexander Lewis 
19. Supernova - LuneCell 
20. War - Tetsuo Shima 
21. Swamp Beat - Ital Tek 
22. Witch Hunt - Antiteq 
23. Truth & Loss (Fracture's Astrophonica Remix) - House of Black Lanterns 
24. Distant Rain - J.Robinson 
25. Fulcrum - ASC
26. Namkha (Kahn Remix) - Ishan Sound 
27. Noctilucent Clouds (Kasm Remix) - SuhniSea feat. Skyscaper 
28. Of Blackest Grain To Missive Ruin (Paul Jebanasam Remix) - Emptyset

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 17, 2014

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Maybe I'm the one out of touch, but I like to think that electro-industrial is my thing and I have never heard of any of those artists! It sounds like a mix of experimental electronic and ambient music. No EBM beat or industrial harshness or vocals, I doubt the people in this thread will agree with your "harsh and abrasive" description :v: I like it though, it's nice background music and has good variety.

Industrial is also a genre of its own, which comes from alternative music (goths :drac:) and is not necessarily closely related to the current techno/edm/idm/electro/dubstep stuff, only containing some influences of it. Though I don't know if the challenge meant for you to mix that stuff up.

Haven't listened to it but here's an example of what your average goth would consider to be an electro-industrial mix these days: https://soundcloud.com/nachtplan/nachtplan-tanz-vol15 (appears to be mostly new tracks I don't know, but this guy produces lots of these).

I'm sure people in this thread know of, or have made, better examples.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 17, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I could barely figure out which was the artist and which was the song title ;)

Looking forward to checking it out though.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Also, there's the genres of dark ambient and martial industrial, which are often going for something similar that you were going for I think, so maybe you'd like that stuff!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
A lot of music on Tympanik (IDM, dark electronic label) seems to overlap. Some artists signed there perform at fests oriented around goth-industrial music - including one of our own here. They have some big compilations available on Spotify that are worth browsing.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I was given this as starter material and nothing else: https://soundcloud.com/l-i-e-s/l-i-e-s-podcast-series-12-admx

I would agree it isnt electro-industrial, but this is the only thread we have that's even close to this form of music. Still - appreciating the feedback so far and suggestions. I don't know much about this genre. I honest to god can't stand that nachtplan song you posted :) I can see how you would disagree with my description of abrasive, as it's not even close to that. It's abrasive compared to what I normally listen to, I guess...

e: I'll concede it's not even industrial at all. Maybe a track or two has some themes but, looks like I missed the genre pretty hard.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 17, 2014

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
If you want to hit what is actually considered 'industrial' rather than electro-industrial you'd need a lot more guitars than the thing I posted, too.

Listening to a genre's tag on Grooveshark (or equivalent service) for a while is a good way to get a general feel for it. If you put 'industrial' there you get Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, Laibach and even some Rammstein. If you put 'electronic body music' or ebm you'll get something closer to the mix I posted except without the constant beat which is there because it's a mix, and probably more slow songs / intelligible lyrics.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

mitztronic posted:

e: I'll concede it's not even industrial at all. Maybe a track or two has some themes but, looks like I missed the genre pretty hard.

I'm not sure that's true at all, industrial is a broad and poorly defined (musically) church, I thought there were plenty of sounds and atmospheres in your playlist that were suitably industrial even if they weren't from traditional industrial sources.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
That is true and you should never talk about genres on the internet really. I was talking of the kind of definition that you'd find on streaming sites or if you'd look at the most popular bands only.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I dunno, Gatekeeper are pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vulh4GLaqno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

No one here seems to have noticed the spiritual successor to Revco started by Chris Connelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brm-8Ra052k