Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Don't they require you to designate stuff for dumping on a semi-constant basis?

No, the beauty of quantum stockpiles is you can automate them using minecarts. Feeder stockpile - > Track Stop -> Quantum stockpile. No dumping required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Oh, god, minecarts. I've basically completely ignored their existence. Too much complexity and too little meaningful purpose (apart from violating physics, apparently).

At least, as far as fits into the rest of my playstyle. I'm sure they're legitimately useful for some people.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Strudel Man posted:

Don't they require you to designate stuff for dumping on a semi-constant basis?

Nope! You use 2 stockpiles, a track stop and a minecart.

code:
III
III
III
 S
 O
I marks the 'input' stockpile, takes from all sources. O marks the 'output' stockpile, takes from links only. Both must have the exact same setup. S is a track stop, dumping South. Setup a route on that track stop that takes from I and gives to O, then give it a minecart. Behold, quantum stockpile.

You can size I however you want.

I usually have a more "complex" stone stockpile, with 3-4 "from anywhere" that have wheelbarrows, a central "from links" that all of those deliver to, and then the track stop takes from there to the 1x1 destination stockpile. This allows more dwarves to actually move stones into the inputs and allows a lot of wheelbarrows in the process. I can clear my fort of stone in no time!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Man, I would not think it would be this hard to get an embark with 1) sand, 2) non-dead evil plants, and hopefully 3) relatively flat. I just want to make an evil glass palace. :(

Maybe I'll just use dfhack to turn the top soil layer into sand.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 16, 2014

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I have the corpse issue too. I've just resigned myself to having fortresses filled with miasma and bones. Livens up the place.

I've done the glass palace thing before myself, but I admit I'm not sure what you could do about the plant situation other than possibly tweaking the worldgen variables to favor nastier biomes on average. Same for elevation, although if you really want lots of mountains still you can just reduce the permissible variation in either the x or y axis and leave the other unchanged to get stripey mountains that tend to strongly run in orthagonal streaks. I admit though I haven't been able to get the world generator to behave as well in DF2014 as previous releases.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 16, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I've done the glass palace thing before myself, but I admit I'm not sure what you could do about the plant situation other than possibly tweaking the worldgen variables to favor nastier biomes on average. Same for elevation, although if you really want lots of mountains still you can just reduce the permissible variation in either the x or y axis and leave the other unchanged to get stripey mountains that tend to strongly run in orthagonal streaks. I admit though I haven't been able to get the world generator to behave as well in DF2014 as previous releases.
Well, part of the problem is that it doesn't seem like evil biomes generate evil plants at all reliably. In my test embarks, only about a third or a quarter of them had the plants I was hoping for.

I want NO mountains, though, not lots. Just a green spire jutting from the earth.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Try making a flat space they can stand directly next to the water, unless I'm mistaken that slope is underwater so they're not gonna go for a swim so they can fill up a bucket. Also you can use zones to designate a water source you want dwarves to use. Or you could just build a well there.

I've tried reading about wells and come away with the impression that bringing the water up a well will make sure that it's not muddy anymore, but the wiki is kind of confusing on that point depending on if you're reading the muddy water post or the well post.

Would a well remove the mud from the water? Does the water not have mud in the first place because it's 7 deep?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

vibratingsheep posted:

I've tried reading about wells and come away with the impression that bringing the water up a well will make sure that it's not muddy anymore, but the wiki is kind of confusing on that point depending on if you're reading the muddy water post or the well post.

Would a well remove the mud from the water? Does the water not have mud in the first place because it's 7 deep?

The mud is below the water. Drill down from above and build the well over any part of the water you want, dwarves will go to the well and lower a bucket down however many z-levels to the water. Just keep in mind that while a well can transport a bucket of water up 50 z-levels if that's convenient, it takes a long-rear end time.

What I like to do is this:

X= wall _ = channel O = well

code:

XXXXXXXX
X__    XXXXX
X__  O
X__    XXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Designate the channel as a pond in need of filling. A dwarf will use the well as the water source and start dumping water into the channel. It will still take a while but it's one of the most
efficient ways to move water up a large number of z-levels.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, god, minecarts. I've basically completely ignored their existence. Too much complexity and too little meaningful purpose (apart from violating physics, apparently).

At least, as far as fits into the rest of my playstyle. I'm sure they're legitimately useful for some people.

hyper accelerated minecarts filled with projectiles linked up to pressure plates = awesome trap

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

hyper accelerated minecarts filled with projectiles linked up to pressure plates = awesome trap
I prefer to have my little guys do the fighting. v:shobon:v Typically only use a few cage traps, if anything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vibratingsheep posted:

The water needs to be two z levels deep to be not-muddy. They well alone won't do it. Muddy water is still better than no water at all, of course. I think muddy water is also better than stagnant water from surface ponds. But when you have time it is worthwhile to dig out a cistern 2 or 3 levels deep, then fill it with water and build a well over it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

The water needs to be two z levels deep to be not-muddy. They well alone won't do it. Muddy water is still better than no water at all, of course. I think muddy water is also better than stagnant water from surface ponds. But when you have time it is worthwhile to dig out a cistern 2 or 3 levels deep, then fill it with water and build a well over it.
Hah, is that what determines it? I always built a cistern out of basically just a vague sense of realism, and assumed that it was the well itself doing the cleaning.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Not to toot my own horn (I am going to toot my own horn) but you should check out the new dwarf fortress LP Fogwall for a very exciting use of saw blade traps.

Thread is here

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Strudel Man posted:

Well, part of the problem is that it doesn't seem like evil biomes generate evil plants at all reliably. In my test embarks, only about a third or a quarter of them had the plants I was hoping for.

I want NO mountains, though, not lots. Just a green spire jutting from the earth.

A real dwarf would make clear glass.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Kenning posted:

A real dwarf would make clear glass.

I dunno, sounds a bit... fancy to me.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Every ounce of it involves tree death.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Well, like I said, you can control for that during world-gen, if you haven't already. Just turn down vulcanism, max height, and required mountain peaks to nothing or close to nothing, and jack up the evil biome rate, and then wait a few years for the world to generate and spend a couple of generations hunting down a sandy biome that actually has biodiversity. While I'm pretty sure elves favor 'good' biomes and humans favor 'neutral' ones, if the traders happen to be from a civilization stuck in an evil biome, I think they'll tend to bring evil plant seeds with them, but that's from a few versions ago, so I don't know if it's still relevant.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Spanish Matlock posted:

Not to toot my own horn (I am going to toot my own horn) but you should check out the new dwarf fortress LP Fogwall for a very exciting use of saw blade traps.

Thread is here

As much as I'd love to read through the entire thread to get to this point -- I'm impatient, someone care to explain what is happening and how it works?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neurion posted:

As much as I'd love to read through the entire thread to get to this point -- I'm impatient, someone care to explain what is happening and how it works?

It's a big shaft you throw prisoners into and they land on a pile of sawblade traps over an underground lake, they either die from the fall, get cut to pieces, or jump off into the lake.

It is essentially a sink garbage disposal in architectural form.

As to why it exists, why wouldn't it?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Neurion posted:

Here's an example of how it works in combat log form.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Hey, blocking that saw probably made the goblin REALLY GOOD at shield-blocking. Too bad it wasn't the saw that bisected his sternum and destroyed his heart. So he got to be Legendary at blocking for a second or two, probably.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Nah. Unlike upright spikes, the saws don't catch the guy. As far as the trap is concerned, some dumbo just approached it from above really fast.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Ah, gotcha. Shame; the goblin doesn't even get the satisfaction of being briefly Legendary. A very dwarven trap indeed.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Ghostwoods posted:

I dunno, sounds a bit... fancy to me.

I'm in the process of making a big-rear end pyramid out of clear glass. Holy poo poo it takes forever.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah I've was dealing with outside planting the other day. I made a farm outside where there were no plants growing naturally and it didn't give me seeds to plant. So then I moved it to where trees and gatherable plants grew and it gave me the seeds to plant. If there's grass but no trees then you cant plant there.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 16, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Mountain biomes are weird like that. They can't sustain anything more than grass.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Is there any reason not to keep every adult in squads that never go on duty, so that they'll walk around in armor?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strudel Man posted:

Is there any reason not to keep every adult in squads that never go on duty, so that they'll walk around in armor?

Metal armor is heavy, so it will slow down hauling jobs and possibly all movement-related jobs for weaklings.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

Metal armor is heavy, so it will slow down hauling jobs and possibly all movement-related jobs for weaklings.
But leather armor squads, for example, would be fine? I've held off out of uncertainty about people going crazy or something, but it certainly seems like it would make them safer in case of running into a thief or snatcher in the middle of the fortress.

Also if it counts as non-degrading clothing for avoiding negative thoughts, but I don't know if that would be true or not.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
So I decided to use the Starter Pack thing since its a lot easier than trying to remember and reinstall all the utilities and everything over and over again. I downloaded and got it running last night.

And the starter pack itself updated today. I'm really not used to it and parts of it are not very well documented. Is there a simple way to transfer things across versions?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Can you not turn off weather in an existing save? I could have sworn that you could, but I tried in my game since I was sick of human blood rain turning everything red, and it hasn't actually made any difference.

GenericOverusedName posted:

So I decided to use the Starter Pack thing since its a lot easier than trying to remember and reinstall all the utilities and everything over and over again. I downloaded and got it running last night.

And the starter pack itself updated today. I'm really not used to it and parts of it are not very well documented. Is there a simple way to transfer things across versions?
I doubt it. My knowledge of the game is pretty limited, but I do know that all the reaction and creature definitions (except for...something which I can't remember) are baked into the save.

You could try copying the new version's data/raw folder into your save folder, though, to overwrite the old with the new. Might work.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The starter pack has an option to load old saves I'm pretty sure.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
Yea there's a bat file to copy the data in the root of the sp folder, just make sure your last version is in the same root folder as the new starter pack.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Its not the game itself that updated, just the various utilities and stuff. I mostly just want my dumb color settings and fonts and stuff to carry over.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Strudel Man posted:

Can you not turn off weather in an existing save? I could have sworn that you could, but I tried in my game since I was sick of human blood rain turning everything red, and it hasn't actually made any difference.

I doubt it. My knowledge of the game is pretty limited, but I do know that all the reaction and creature definitions (except for...something which I can't remember) are baked into the save.

You could try copying the new version's data/raw folder into your save folder, though, to overwrite the old with the new. Might work.

Turning off weather prevents it from changing, you'll need turn it back on until the blood stops.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

Its not the game itself that updated, just the various utilities and stuff. I mostly just want my dumb color settings and fonts and stuff to carry over.

\data\art and \data\init have all the game-relevant bits.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

PublicOpinion posted:

Turning off weather prevents it from changing, you'll need turn it back on until the blood stops.
It wasn't raining when I turned it off, though. And it hasn't been raining constantly, just occasionally, the way it did before I changed it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Maybe the evil rains aren't part of the normal weather framework, then.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Ding ding. They're regional interactions assembled from random bits in the executable and doled out at worldgen, just like titans and things.

Altering those on the fly is a little... tricky. The raws are stored as plaintext inside an uncompressed world.sav, but I'm not sure how to actually neuter those. Getting rid of the [IE_INTERMITTENT:WEEKLY] tag, perhaps? Interactions aren't really my area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Sheesh. That's annoying.

Guess it explains why I sometimes saw the blood rain overlapping with regular rain.

edit: Hah. I changed compressed_saves to no, but my world.sav is still compressed after a reload and save. Welp.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 17, 2014