Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Lord Bude posted:

Get a coolermaster N200 and a decent power supply.
Is there any competition in the budget under $100 case arena or does the Coolermaster N200 just completely own that space at $50-70?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
For Micro-ATX cases, it pretty much stands alone unless you find a good deal on some of the others on the list.

The Silverstone PS07 used to be recommended and it's $70 at Newegg right now. Might look at it, but I don't recall it as being too stand-out considering it costs $20 more than the N200.

If you need something *really* basic, the Fracal Design Core 1100 is $38, but it has extremely limited drive bays and not a heck of a lot of room for large components like a Hyper 212 EVO or a long video card. The Core 1500 is a bit beefier - it can fit a Hyper 212 EVO and comes with an extra fan and a simple fan controller, but it's $65.

Full-size ATX has more interesting options, like the Corsair Carbide 200R and Graphite 230T (the black/red 230T is on sale at Newegg for $50 after rebate).

Sub-$100 cases are plentiful generally, but the N200 is just really nice at a nice price for mATX. $100 is where you start seeing more of an embarrassment of diversity.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Factory Factory posted:

For Micro-ATX cases, it pretty much stands alone unless you find a good deal on some of the others on the list.

The Silverstone PS07 used to be recommended and it's $70 at Newegg right now. Might look at it, but I don't recall it as being too stand-out considering it costs $20 more than the N200.

If you need something *really* basic, the Fracal Design Core 1100 is $38, but it has extremely limited drive bays and not a heck of a lot of room for large components like a Hyper 212 EVO or a long video card. The Core 1500 is a bit beefier - it can fit a Hyper 212 EVO and comes with an extra fan and a simple fan controller, but it's $65.

Full-size ATX has more interesting options, like the Corsair Carbide 200R and Graphite 230T (the black/red 230T is on sale at Newegg for $50 after rebate).

Sub-$100 cases are plentiful generally, but the N200 is just really nice at a nice price for mATX. $100 is where you start seeing more of an embarrassment of diversity.

The Core 1100 doesn't look very competitive when the N200 since they go for a long drive panel rather than a bay that stops long video cards, yeah. I guess it's super cheap but that's it.

The PS07 looks like the TJ08E but with dual 120mm fans instead of a single 180mm fan - and it looks like the extra height of those fans might be a plus since it looks like it blows cool air right across the GPU as well, something the TJ08E has a problem with. While having to buy a rear 120mm fan bumps up the cost a little bit, it comes with two 120mm fans already which is as many or more than most cheap cases come with. It also has all the bonuses of the TJ08E, namely a removable front fan filter, removable motherboard tray, and the CPU cooler support arm for giant coolers. It's weird for a case to have the PSU on the top these days but it looks like this case makes the most of it.

EDIT: Temps are about the same? http://www.anandtech.com/show/5270/silverstone-precision-ps07-temjin-for-less/6

The 200R and 230T look like the same case but with an open front mesh on the 230T. Unless you need ATX however it seems the 200N and PS07 have better fan filtering.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 16, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is it worth it for me to update my Asus Z97-A bios or should I leave it be?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
The Corsair Carbide 200R looks like it might be a better choice for me than the Nanoxia NXDS4W; it's a little bigger, it's apparently easy to work with, and it's slightly cheaper. Are there any big advantages to the Nanoxia beyond the soundproofing that make it a better choice for me than the Carbide?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

The Corsair Carbide 200R looks like it might be a better choice for me than the Nanoxia NXDS4W; it's a little bigger, it's apparently easy to work with, and it's slightly cheaper. Are there any big advantages to the Nanoxia beyond the soundproofing that make it a better choice for me than the Carbide?

I'm using the 200R myself right now - it's not a bad case, though it definitely lacks the bells and whistles of the Nanoxia.

Side note: You were all right. I'm doing my first build in a decade and it's loving terrifying. It took me three tries to get the lever down to lock in the CPU and I still haven't powered it up because I keep triple-checking the leads to make sure everything's plugged in right.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

Hm. The PSU in the Minuet is not good. As well, Antec hasn't really kept up with the times in terms of case engineering. I would really consider a Silverstone Milo ML03 or ML04 instead, plus an appropriate PSU.

As for the 840 EVO, it is the faster drive compared to the Intel 530. But it doesn't really matter very much between them - do just get whichever is cheaper unless the secondary features on the 840 EVO, like RAPID, fill you with burning desire.

Even if you don't overclock the CPU right away, remember to set the correct settings for the RAM in the BIOS. The G3258's stock speed maxes out at DDR3-1333, so it won't go faster without your say-so.

That Silverstone case plus the 300W Seasonic from the OP should work then, and not cost much more. RAPID isn't a huge deal to me; coming from a 640 GB HDD should already be a huge step up, and for my uses I probably wouldn't even notice the difference. Thanks as always for the advice.

The Lord Bude posted:

Power supplies that come with cases are seldom good, and Antec cases are pretty poo poo. Get a coolermaster N200 and a decent power supply.

Alternatively if you want something you can lay flat in a tv cabinet, Silverstone has you covered.

How much gaming do you intend to do on this? Intel integrated graphics are probably faster than your current card, and you can add a 750 or 750ti at some point if you want more than that.

Minimal gaming; the only reason I'm making any concessions to gaming at all (Pentium vs. a Celeron J1900, and staying with mATX due to needing two expansion cards) is I want to actually play Portal 2... time and other circumstances permitting. I've actually owned it for a few years and it's perfectly playable even on the ol' Conroe Pentium, but the monitor is the TV, and I need a better mouse/keyboard setup to comfortably play on it. I guess I should probably ask about those too, what's a good reliable wireless keyboard and mouse combo? I'd also like recommendations for a remote control-sized HTPC keyboard; I saw a few a long time ago in this thread but I didn't make note of them.

Are the Intel integrated GPUs on a Pentium the same as with an i3 or above? I was under the impression they were lower performing. If I will see comparable gaming performance to my low-end Radeon then that opens up ITX as a possibility, since I would only need one expansion slot for my capture card.

Anyway here's the build as it stands.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.24 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($56.45 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $417.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-15 21:41 EDT-0400

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Tempest_56 posted:

Side note: You were all right. I'm doing my first build in a decade and it's loving terrifying. It took me three tries to get the lever down to lock in the CPU and I still haven't powered it up because I keep triple-checking the leads to make sure everything's plugged in right.

It helps to have a leather strap to bite down on, and one of those face-covering anti-pollen masks. To soak up your tears!

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 16, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Billy Black posted:

Ok one more question. Is my pre built Dell going to have a spot for this? I've never changed out the internal storage, and I don't know if the SSD's use a different connector than the standard hard drives.

It's exactly the same as a standard hard drive as far as cables go, but the SSD will be physically smaller than a hard drive, so you'd probably need an adapter bracket to screw it into a hard drive bay (you can buy EVOs both with and without one of these, or you can get them separately). Alternatively, since SSDs have no moving parts, there is nothing wrong with just letting it sit lose at the bottom of the case, maybe with a knob of blu tack so that it doesn't move around if you shift your case.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
My q6600 is showing its age, and I was looking to get some thing that could play games with no problems, be silent, and have room to grow through OCing in the future.

Here's what I arrived at:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f74wCJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f74wCJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($169.29 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($142.81 @ Amazon)
Total: $1052.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-16 00:29 EDT-0400

I'll be building another PC after this shortly, by that time I expect the GTX970s will be back in stock. When that happens I'll swap out the R9 for the GTX 970.

Does this build seem sane?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is there any competition in the budget under $100 case arena or does the Coolermaster N200 just completely own that space at $50-70?

I like it because it ticks all the basic boxes, and doesn't look like something a 10 year old would consider cool. Under $50, it's pretty much all there is, although the Corsair SPEC line goes down that far, and is decent quality, but looks ridiculous. At $70-80 you have the Nanoxia DS4 and Obsidian 350D.

For mid towers you have the N300, and corsair carbide and SPEC lines.

you also have several bitfenix cases to pick from, and the NZXT S340 (but you'd need to buy fans)

The silverstone PS07 is significantly more expensive than the N200, comes with 2 fans instead of three, has crappier intake ventilation and is harder to work in.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

soundproofing, fan controller and dust filters - like most corsair cases, the 200R has a big open grating at the top to hopefully encourage you to buy a corsair liquid cooler to go with it. Also like most corsair cases prior to the 450D, they haven't bothered filtering it, so dust just falls straight into the case. If you want to get one I suggest also spending $12 on a Demciflex filter for that top panel, and maybe a second intake fan.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

That Silverstone case plus the 300W Seasonic from the OP should work then, and not cost much more. RAPID isn't a huge deal to me; coming from a 640 GB HDD should already be a huge step up, and for my uses I probably wouldn't even notice the difference. Thanks as always for the advice.

Minimal gaming; the only reason I'm making any concessions to gaming at all (Pentium vs. a Celeron J1900, and staying with mATX due to needing two expansion cards) is I want to actually play Portal 2... time and other circumstances permitting. I've actually owned it for a few years and it's perfectly playable even on the ol' Conroe Pentium, but the monitor is the TV, and I need a better mouse/keyboard setup to comfortably play on it. I guess I should probably ask about those too, what's a good reliable wireless keyboard and mouse combo? I'd also like recommendations for a remote control-sized HTPC keyboard; I saw a few a long time ago in this thread but I didn't make note of them.

Are the Intel integrated GPUs on a Pentium the same as with an i3 or above? I was under the impression they were lower performing. If I will see comparable gaming performance to my low-end Radeon then that opens up ITX as a possibility, since I would only need one expansion slot for my capture card.

Anyway here's the build as it stands.

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.24 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($56.45 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $417.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-15 21:41 EDT-0400

Don't quote me on it, but I think it would outperform a low end radeon of that age. It is a weaker integrated GPU than the i3 however. If you're using a low profile case with minimal airflow you may not be able to overclock the G3258 adequately - I'd consider an i3.

Alternatively, I'm going to suggest something really controversial - light gaming on a low cost HTPC might just be a usecase in which it makes sense to get an AMD APU. The CPU would be 'good enough' and the integrated graphics would run laps around intel's.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

2nd Rate Poster posted:

My q6600 is showing its age, and I was looking to get some thing that could play games with no problems, be silent, and have room to grow through OCing in the future.

Here's what I arrived at:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f74wCJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f74wCJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($142.81 @ Amazon)
Total: $1052.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-16 00:29 EDT-0400

I'll be building another PC after this shortly, by that time I expect the GTX970s will be back in stock. When that happens I'll swap out the R9 for the GTX 970.

Does this build seem sane?

Big Problems:

Don't buy crucial SSDs. You want a samsung 840EVO, or an intel SSD530.

Also stay away from Gigabyte motherboards. for mATX, you have the Asrock z97m-pro4 followed by the Asus z97-gryphon, followed by the Asus Maximus VII Gene.

The NH-D14 is well and truly obsolete. What you want is a phanteks TC14PE - it's the current best air cooler you can buy. If you get a smaller mATX case, you'd want the Phanteks TC12DX.

Smaller issues:

The fractal design Define R4 isn't really a compelling case choice - Nanoxia Cases run cooler and are quieter - DS1 for mid towers, DS4 for mATX. Alternatively, the phanteks Enthoo Evolv will be out any day now and will be amazing.

Your power supply is grossly excessive, you don't need more than 450w.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
^^ The power supply is $70 right now, who cares?

I'm gonna call a :frogsiren: on the motherboard: It has KILLER ethernet. Absolutely do not buy it. Either go up to an Asus Z97 Gryphon if you want the option to SLI, or down/sideways to an Asus Z97M-Plus or ASRock Z97M Pro4. I know Bude covered this, but I think it's the most important point.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 16, 2014

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke

The Lord Bude posted:

Your build is dumb.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have a bunch of old hard drives that aren't included in the list, so I figured the more overkill the better on the PS.

The evolv seems like a great case, and I did consider it. However, the looks, lack of sound deadening, and no usb ports on top killed it for me.

The DS1 seems great though, not sure how I overlooked it. Will definitely pick that one up.

Thanks for the pro-tips on the SSD, and motherboard. The last time I picked up an SSD crucial was still popular. I'll grab the evo840 and look into one of your suggested motherboards.

The phanteks certainly does look nicer, and doesn't seem much louder than the others.

Thanks again. I'm glad I have more homework to do now, rather than buying a bunch of stupid poo poo.

EDIT: Here's where I'm at now.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3p3jqs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3p3jqs/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 ATX Mid Tower Case ($133.58 @ Newegg)
Total: $1205.63
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-16 01:21 EDT-0400

2nd Rate Poster fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 16, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Lord Bude posted:

I like it because it ticks all the basic boxes, and doesn't look like something a 10 year old would consider cool. Under $50, it's pretty much all there is, although the Corsair SPEC line goes down that far, and is decent quality, but looks ridiculous. At $70-80 you have the Nanoxia DS4 and Obsidian 350D.

For mid towers you have the N300, and corsair carbide and SPEC lines.

you also have several bitfenix cases to pick from, and the NZXT S340 (but you'd need to buy fans)

The silverstone PS07 is significantly more expensive than the N200, comes with 2 fans instead of three, has crappier intake ventilation and is harder to work in.
Thanks for the feedback.

Wait, what case comes with 3 fans? The Corsair N200 doesn't, so I don't consider it strange that the PS07 doesn't. The PS07 is also only $20 more expensive on Newegg and the same price on Amazon

EDIT: The PS07 jumped up to $85-95 on Amazon whoa. First the N200 went up in price now the PS07, are we driving this? :tinfoil:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Any opinion on i7-4790K vs i5-4690K? I found games don't really take advantage of hyper threading but wondering if the higher core speed of the i7-4790K wouldn't make it a better choice.

For fans, how many should a case have anyway, are the two default ones most come with enough? Considering the Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 Black or Cooler Master N200 if that helps.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Avalerion posted:

Any opinion on i7-4790K vs i5-4690K? I found games don't really take advantage of hyper threading but wondering if the higher core speed of the i7-4790K wouldn't make it a better choice.

For fans, how many should a case have anyway, are the two default ones most come with enough? Considering the Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 Black or Cooler Master N200 if that helps.

If you're getting a K, you're going to be overclocking anyway, at which point the 4790K's advantage disappears. If you buy a K to run at stock for some reason, then yeah the 4790K's clock advantage is noticeable. It's rare to buy a 4790K just for its stock clock advantage, but not unheard of.

There is no optimal number of fans. Fewer larger fans is better, but you do want enough to move air around. Usually three is enough for high airflow and positive pressure inside the case without wrecking your eardrums - two intakes (or one large intake) and one exhaust. But there are all sorts of possible arrangements. If you're not doing things with multiple video cards, two is usually enough (though three can help temperatures a bit).

I'm not counting GPU fans or the PSU fan in this accounting. Fans on a heatpipe tower don't count as case fans, either, but fans on a liquid cooling radiator do since they directly exchange air with the outside.

norg
Jul 5, 2006

norg posted:

I need to get some fans - two to replace the stock fans in an H100i radiator, plus a rear exhaust fan.

Should I be looking at PWM fans all round? I have a PWM splitter cable already.

I looked for Scythe Gentle Typhoons for the radiator but it looks like they're not available in the UK anymore. What's the next best alternative?

Any thoughts on this guys?

For more info: this is in a Bitfenix Prodigy, with a 230mm front intake fan and the drive bays removed.

Also the H100i is currently set as an exhaust at the top - should I change it to an intake and just have the single rear exhaust fan? Things get pretty dusty in there atm.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

norg posted:

Any thoughts on this guys?

For more info: this is in a Bitfenix Prodigy, with a 230mm front intake fan and the drive bays removed.

Also the H100i is currently set as an exhaust at the top - should I change it to an intake and just have the single rear exhaust fan? Things get pretty dusty in there atm.
Wait if your 230mm front fan is intaking through the filtered front panel, there should be positive pressure... where would all the dust be coming from?

Perhaps the side intake by the video card? Is that filtered?

norg
Jul 5, 2006
Yeah could be on the side I guess, there's no filter on there atm.

So even with the H100i exhausting at the top, and a 140mm rear exhaust at the back, the 230mm Spectre Pro is powerful enough to maintain positive pressure?

edit: Ok so the motherboard only has two fan headers, both seem to be PWM ones. I'm confused about how to set this up now.

The Spectre Pro is a 3-pin and the H100i fans are 4-pin. I guess I'd replace them with PWM fans too? Maybe Noctua NF-F12s or Corsair SP120s?

Do I need another exhaust at the back at all, or is the H100i enough? Bearing in mind I have a Twin Frozr 970 in there dumping hot air into the case. If I don't need an exhaust then it's easy because I can just plug the PWM radiator fans into the CPU-FAN header, and the 3-pin intake fan into the CHA-FAN header. But if I add in another exhaust fan then I need to use the splitter and I'm not sure how best to set that up.

Factory Factory you have a Prodigy don't you? What fan setup have you got?

norg fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 16, 2014

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Don't quote me on it, but I think it would outperform a low end radeon of that age. It is a weaker integrated GPU than the i3 however. If you're using a low profile case with minimal airflow you may not be able to overclock the G3258 adequately - I'd consider an i3.

Alternatively, I'm going to suggest something really controversial - light gaming on a low cost HTPC might just be a usecase in which it makes sense to get an AMD APU. The CPU would be 'good enough' and the integrated graphics would run laps around intel's.

You know, Factory Factory floated the AMD balloon the first time I posted about this build when I was starting to save the money a few months ago. I should really see if it will run on my netbook then; that's a 1 GHz A4 APU (I got it free from the eMachines class action settlement, don't judge). It's actually considerably faster than the current desktop in multithreaded apps at least, like batch transcoding music files. I don't know if it can match it thread-for-thread; I suspect not, but it seems it's worth trying. All I need is "good enough" anyway.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

^^ The power supply is $70 right now, who cares?

I'm gonna call a :frogsiren: on the motherboard: It has KILLER ethernet. Absolutely do not buy it. Either go up to an Asus Z97 Gryphon if you want the option to SLI, or down/sideways to an Asus Z97M-Plus or ASRock Z97M Pro4. I know Bude covered this, but I think it's the most important point.

Well if it's $70 that's another matter entirely. But that wasn't the price in the parts list that was posted - at $140 it's a waste of money.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

2nd Rate Poster posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a bunch of old hard drives that aren't included in the list, so I figured the more overkill the better on the PS.

The evolv seems like a great case, and I did consider it. However, the looks, lack of sound deadening, and no usb ports on top killed it for me.

The DS1 seems great though, not sure how I overlooked it. Will definitely pick that one up.

Thanks for the pro-tips on the SSD, and motherboard. The last time I picked up an SSD crucial was still popular. I'll grab the evo840 and look into one of your suggested motherboards.

The phanteks certainly does look nicer, and doesn't seem much louder than the others.

Thanks again. I'm glad I have more homework to do now, rather than buying a bunch of stupid poo poo.

EDIT: Here's where I'm at now.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3p3jqs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3p3jqs/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 ATX Mid Tower Case ($133.58 @ Newegg)
Total: $1205.63
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-16 01:21 EDT-0400

The other thing I wanted to ask you is why you're spending $1200 dollars on a PC, but getting a super entry level graphics card that is barely capable of 1080p gaming. R9-280/gtx760 should be the bare minimum you'd be aiming for; and honestly if you have $1200 to spend on a computer you should probably be getting a 970, which blows everything else out of the water in terms of value for money.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

Wait, what case comes with 3 fans? The Corsair N200 doesn't, so I don't consider it strange that the PS07 doesn't. The PS07 is also only $20 more expensive on Newegg and the same price on Amazon

EDIT: The PS07 jumped up to $85-95 on Amazon whoa. First the N200 went up in price now the PS07, are we driving this? :tinfoil:

oops I thought the Coolermaster N200 came with 3 fans but it only comes with 2. Has room for a bunch more fans though.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke

The Lord Bude posted:

The other thing I wanted to ask you is why you're spending $1200 dollars on a PC, but getting a super entry level graphics card that is barely capable of 1080p gaming. R9-280/gtx760 should be the bare minimum you'd be aiming for; and honestly if you have $1200 to spend on a computer you should probably be getting a 970, which blows everything else out of the water in terms of value for money.

970s are out of stock everywhere, and I'll be building a much cheaper PC right after this. My intention was to pick up the 970 then, and swap the cards.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

2nd Rate Poster posted:

970s are out of stock everywhere, and I'll be building a much cheaper PC right after this. My intention was to pick up the 970 then, and swap the cards.

Oh, that's ok then. That being said you can get an R9-280 for $156, that's probably better value for your second budget PC than 130 dollars for a 270.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Factory Factory posted:

Fun fact, AMD didn't have any temperature control at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MYYB9bl70

ahahaha 370 degrees

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Since my 2600k is still doing great I'm currently waiting for more information on DDR4 in the mainstream market before upgrading my CPU/mobo. Is there any word on whether the next Intel launch (Broadwell/Skylake, was it?) will have iterations meant for regular users since everything I've read about Haswell-E on SA suggests that it is not recommended for gaming?

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 16, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Knifegrab posted:

Is it worth it for me to update my Asus Z97-A bios or should I leave it be?

Anyone? I've never done a bios flash, I think I know how but everything I have read says its risky.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Anyone? I've never done a bios flash, I think I know how but everything I have read says its risky.

I'd just leave it be. Unless that BIOS update fixes something you're having serious issues with, it's fine to just leave it alone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
A friend of mine is asking me for PC advice, and I have no idea where best to spend the $250 he wants to spend to spruce up this machine. My kneejerk reaction is a 250GB 840 EVO for $125 and an R7-265 for $115. I have no idea how he ended up with this current computer, its such a hodgepodge of questionable decisions already. I'm having to tread lightly because he's got some big misconceptions about computer hardware already and I don't want to piss him off.

Current machine:
Phenom 965 BE
8GB RAM (He has 4 DIMMs and insists that half of them are DDR2 half are DDR3, so he could carry them over? I'm 90% sure he actually has DDR2. Theres never been a mobo that had both DDR2 and DDR3 slots, right?)
8800GT
Radeon 5450(For games and emulators that don't like / support the 8800GT? He bought this a couple years ago for reasons I can't understand. Both GPUs are in the machine, he switches which one the monitor is hooked up to)
1.3TB of hard drives spread across 3 drives

His $250 budget for an upgrade isn't enough for CPU/MB/RAM and anything else, even if he did the $99 Microcenter bundle he'd need RAM. I think that an SSD and modern midrange GPU is the best bet for him. This upgrade is motivated by a move to a new monitor, I found out that he was playing games at 1024x768 until a couple weeks ago when he got a modern monitor and suddenly his 8800GT isn't enough. I'm also trying to talk him into retiring the IDE hard drives, saying that they can't be counted on for reliability anyway at this point.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

A friend of mine is asking me for PC advice, and I have no idea where best to spend the $250 he wants to spend to spruce up this machine. My kneejerk reaction is a 250GB 840 EVO for $125 and an R7-265 for $115. I have no idea how he ended up with this current computer, its such a hodgepodge of questionable decisions already. I'm having to tread lightly because he's got some big misconceptions about computer hardware already and I don't want to piss him off.

Current machine:
Phenom 965 BE
8GB RAM (He has 4 DIMMs and insists that half of them are DDR2 half are DDR3, so he could carry them over? I'm 90% sure he actually has DDR2. Theres never been a mobo that had both DDR2 and DDR3 slots, right?)
8800GT
Radeon 5450(For games and emulators that don't like / support the 8800GT? He bought this a couple years ago for reasons I can't understand. Both GPUs are in the machine, he switches which one the monitor is hooked up to)
1.3TB of hard drives spread across 3 drives

His $250 budget for an upgrade isn't enough for CPU/MB/RAM and anything else, even if he did the $99 Microcenter bundle he'd need RAM. I think that an SSD and modern midrange GPU is the best bet for him. This upgrade is motivated by a move to a new monitor, I found out that he was playing games at 1024x768 until a couple weeks ago when he got a modern monitor and suddenly his 8800GT isn't enough. I'm also trying to talk him into retiring the IDE hard drives, saying that they can't be counted on for reliability anyway at this point.

There actually were some mobos that could do both DDR2 and 3 when DDR3 was really new but I'm struggling with the idea of being able to use both at once.

Everything needs to go at some point - and god knows what power supply is in that thing. Honestly I think your friend needs to reevaluate how much money needs to be spent here; This thing can't really be spruced any more. Your idea is a good temporary stopgap until he can afford to replace the lot but I'm still concerned about the PSU - I would suggest New PSU + say R9-280, followed by new everything else ASAP. Maybe show off some graphs and poo poo to help convince him.

AMD wasn't the objectively bad purchasing decision back then that it is now, but that CPU and mobo are long past the point of usefulness.

If you can convince him to spend a bit more maybe even buy a new PC sans graphics card, (and even with just a modern 1tb hard drive instead of an SSD) and let him buy the GPU and SSD later as he has more money. Even current gen integrated graphics would probably outperform either of his cards.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.79 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Zeus Yellow 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $348.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-16 11:42 EDT-0400

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 16, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Lord Bude posted:

that CPU and mobo are long past the point of usefulness.

I guess this also depends on what kind of games you're playing. My wife's desktop is a 965BE that I got for free at Quakecon '09, 8GB DDR2 and a 5770, and it plays Diablo 3 / League of Legends / War Thunder just fine at medium-high settings. Of course, even though Diablo 3 may only be 2 years old its "recommended" spec is a Core 2 from 2006 and "minimum" is a Pentium 4 dual core.

I think my friend only plays League of Legends and lots of Wii / PS2 emulators, so most of the performance increase from a new machine might be wasted on him.

Edit: Thanks for all the help. I'll pitch it to him, as well as just selling his pile of parts for $150 on craigslist as-is to fund this.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 16, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I guess this also depends on what kind of games you're playing. My wife's desktop is a 965BE that I got for free at Quakecon '09, 8GB DDR2 and a 5770, and it plays Diablo 3 / League of Legends / War Thunder just fine at medium-high settings. Of course, even thought Diablo 3 may only be 2 years old its "recommended" spec is a Core 2 from 2006 and "minimum" is a Pentium 4 dual core.

I think my friend only plays League of Legends and lots of Wii / PS2 emulators, so most of the performance increase from a new machine might be wasted on him.

Edit: Thanks for all the help. I'll pitch it to him, as well as just selling his pile of parts for $150 on craigslist as-is to fund this.

I'd still start with 'buy a new PC' and then add a GPU later, unless he can afford to add one now - sounds like a gtx750ti would be a good choice for your friend.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Man, looking at this i7, I feel so much less nervous about installing this poo poo because it isn't loaded down with easily hosed pins like an AMD shitchip is.

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
The Evolv and an in stock MSI 970 are still at myth status everytime I check. As a silver lining, the delay is coinsideing with the Samsung 840 EVO fix. I think the end of this week will be promising for ordering all these great recomendations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

norg posted:

Factory Factory you have a Prodigy don't you? What fan setup have you got?

It's a bit non-standard and probably as much cooling as you can cram into a Prodigy while still using the optical bay.

230mm Spectre Pro intake in front, kept fairly high-voltage. This is plugged into the Chassis fan header and runs at its full 900 RPM pretty much constantly.

140mm rear exhaust through a radiator - a Noctua NF-A14 FLX with Ultra-Low Noise Adapter (7V). It's a three-pin fan plugged through the PWM passthrough on an NZXT Kraken X40, which is plugged into the CPU fan header. That doesn't work for speed control, so instead I have it on the ULNA. Spins at about 900 RPM (rather than 1200 at 12V).

120mm top exhaust through a radiator - a Noctua high static pressure fan. It's PWM controlled, and connected via a splitter to my graphics card's single PWM fan header. The radiator is a Corsair H55 that's plugged into a molex->fan header power adapter. Fan runs about 400 RPM at the desktop, no more than 700 RPM under load generally.

92mm intake through side panel - some Arctic Cooling thing. This is the GPU's chips-and-VRM cooling fan, but I can't deny it intakes through the big ol' mesh I put on the side panel. It's on the other half of the splitter on the graphics card's PWM header. I don't know exactly how fast it runs, but the whole card never really ramps itself above 30% duty cycle. If I had infinite money, I'd replace this with a low-profile 92mm fan (probably go with Noctua again) and make the side solid again, since pump noise freely makes it through the mesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

ellic posted:

The Evolv and an in stock MSI 970 are still at myth status everytime I check. As a silver lining, the delay is coinsideing with the Samsung 840 EVO fix. I think the end of this week will be promising for ordering all these great recomendations.

Yeah, I've got a pending order for an MSI 970 with NCIX, no idea when that'll actually happen.

• Locked thread