Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Then again it will take something spectacular to beat the confrontation with Aggie. That kind of power in a scene is practically lightning in a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'll settle for anything that gets at least half of the power.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Level Slide posted:

I'll settle for anything that gets at least half of the power.

Pretty much reiterating, but while Paranorman seemed like a film where the goals of the people behind it was 'make this important'. Boxtrolls meanwhile was aiming for 'fun, well crafted, and maybe some profit'.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Finally got to see Princess Kaguya. Absolutely beautiful movie, and an awfully progressive retelling of the original tale. Definitely go see it if it's near you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yawgmoft posted:

Finally got to see Princess Kaguya. Absolutely beautiful movie, and an awfully progressive retelling of the original tale. Definitely go see it if it's near you.

The nearest showing is across the state in Philly. :negative: I was lucky enough to get to see The Wind Rises. Is that even out on DVD yet, it's been forever.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
You should probably go anyway since you'll most likely never see that much hand drawn animation on the big screen ever again.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I saw Peabody and Sherman, it's actually pretty good, I didn't mind the adoption thing and it is one of the better adaptions of a Jay Ward title out there, much better than Dudley Do Right, or Rocky and Bullwinkle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbAYLAbhyxc

Oh my word :kimchi: Paperman was awesome and this looks just as awesome.

So much :3: :3: :3:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Was that dog holding a piece of cilantro in its mouth? :3: :3: :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yawgmoft posted:

You should probably go anyway since you'll most likely never see that much hand drawn animation on the big screen ever again.

I'm a college student without a car, I don't have the luxury of going across the state willy nilly.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

teagone posted:

"Fake. That dog would be very unhealthy or even sick if he ate all that "Human" food."

Thank you for your bravery in bringing us the truth, YouTube commenter.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

teagone posted:

If this is nothing but 11 minutes of a dog eating snacks, that is some pure-rear end cinema. It's like some Lumiere poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Wendell posted:

"Fake. That dog would be very unhealthy or even sick if he ate all that "Human" food."

Thank you for your bravery in bringing us the truth, YouTube commenter.

I always wonder if these people think dogs were all sick/dead until dog food was invented like, 100 years ago.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm coining the term "dogatouille". Book it.

Also, that looks loving adorable.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I saw Peabody and Sherman, it's actually pretty good, I didn't mind the adoption thing and it is one of the better adaptions of a Jay Ward title out there, much better than Dudley Do Right, or Rocky and Bullwinkle.

How many coolness points do I lose for unironically enjoying the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

LaughMyselfTo posted:

How many coolness points do I lose for unironically enjoying the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie?

You lose your right to watch anything related to Jay Ward ever again Just kidding, if you enjoy it, cool, just felt it was very inferior to the actual tv show

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So was I the only one that went to see The Book of Life yesterday? I'm assuming yes based on the fact that there were like 5 other people in the theater aside from me and my kids. I liked it though, aside from the totally unnecessary framing device / narration and the embarrassing miscasting of Ice Cube. I may be biased though because I'm a sucker for Dia de los Muertos stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

raditts posted:

aside from the totally unnecessary framing device / narration

Well, how else are we gonna get some white people in the movie for the commercials? Seriously, the commercials focused way too much on that framing.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
I've been wondering about the book of life movie too. The visuals look really good! I also like the fact that the characters are made out of wood. I imagine it gets explained at some point, but it looks really pretty!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KingsPawn posted:

I've been wondering about the book of life movie too. The visuals look really good! I also like the fact that the characters are made out of wood. I imagine it gets explained at some point, but it looks really pretty!

The internal explanation is that the story is told with a bunch of puppets. I imagine the real reason is so they could maintain a nice looking aesthetic on a budget, since the characters in the framing portion look like something out of a DTV animation.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!

raditts posted:

The internal explanation is that the story is told with a bunch of puppets. I imagine the real reason is so they could maintain a nice looking aesthetic on a budget, since the characters in the framing portion look like something out of a DTV animation.

Without seeing the movie, I kind of figured that would have been the explanation. I cringed when I heard Ice Cube's voice in one of the trailers. It also made me think that 90's ice cube would probably look at current ice cube and think "really?!" I mean he went from NWA to Are we done yet! Woah...crazy.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

If this is nothing but 11 minutes of a dog eating snacks, that is some pure-rear end cinema. It's like some Lumiere poo poo.

I got to see this at a shorts screening recently and you guys are in for some prime dog snacking. It's super cute.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed The Book of Life. It's not "deep", but it's absolutely gorgeous and good fun. The worst thing about it was... how would I explain it... "punch-up feminism". It has a bad case of Strong Female Character, where she would have been fine without some of those "look how Strong she is!" lines which added nothing. She's strong on her own merits, people don't have to keep pointing out that she's Not Like Other Girls. They didn't do that for the female goddess, and she was probably my favorite of all.

It was also proof of what 3d animation is really great for. The intricate lines and designs were postiviely lovely, but they'd be impossible to do economically in traditional hand-drawn animation. Lots of great silhouettes and the use of "puppets" probably saved them oodles. Bet Del Toro learned that one from the opening of Hellboy 2, visually one of my favorite films.

It is, so far, probably my most recommended animated film of the year based on it having a unique aesthetic and at least some loving theme.

e: It's one of the only animated films I can name which really took advantage of unlimited scale. If anyone here liked Shadow of the Colossus, it's a similar feeling. Really impressive.

Also, Xibalba's pupils are tinier skulls.

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 19, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
What is the framing device.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Hat Thoughts posted:

What is the framing device.

A class on a field trip to a museum gets taken through that fake wall from Labyrinth and the tour guide narrates the movie to them from the Book of Life using puppets. It's sort of a Princess Bride shtick.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

A class on a field trip to a museum gets taken through that fake wall from Labyrinth and the tour guide narrates the movie to them from the Book of Life using puppets. It's sort of a Princess Bride shtick.

At least that part of the movie flows well in The Princess Bride. Here it's the worst part of the movie because you can tell it was added in after the actual movie was made. It randomly cuts back to these stupid kid characters making stupid kid comments and really kills the flow of the movie when it does. I'd totally buy it on video if they have a mode that cuts that part out.

I didn't think there was so much a case of Strong Female Character as Pick did. It seemed more the opposite to me, that the only reason her qualities were being highlighted so much was to explain why she in particular was the object of desire for the main characters as opposed to all the other women in the town.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 19, 2014

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Just saw Book of Life and I really liked it. I'm a huge fan of the director's previous work, El Tigre, and it was nice to see its artstyle back. I kept waiting for Frida's voice actress to show up because of how many VA's returned from El Tigre, if she was in it I completely missed her.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

raditts posted:

At least that part of the movie flows well in The Princess Bride. Here it's the worst part of the movie because you can tell it was added in after the actual movie was made. It randomly cuts back to these stupid kid characters making stupid kid comments and really kills the flow of the movie when it does. I'd totally buy it on video if they have a mode that cuts that part out.

You can also tell the only reason it's there is to put some white people in the movie.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought The Book of Life was a good movie marred by some serious flaws. For me the biggest issue is the same one I had with How to Train Your Dragon 2. It seeds some interesting subversions of typical plot points (in Dragon, the idea that Astrid might become chief instead of Hiccup, here the notion that Maria isn't looking to marry either of her friends), and then just goes the typical route anyway. It's dumb, and it makes every moment Maria spends setting up the notion that this movie might go in another direction than "then they got married" for it's ending frustratingly pointless.

Second, the musical choices for the movie were baffling and awful.

Other than some weird storytelling progression, my only other complaint is about the Sanchez Soldaderas twins. When they got introduced, I immediately had two new favorite characters. I figured they weren't going to be in the movie much, but their design and initial attitude was great. Then we actually got to see them in action... and it sucked. I still love those excellent designs, but why have them mix stock teen girl banter into their fighting? It's a nitpick, but gawd it bugged me.

So loving pretty. This movie is pretty. Very pretty.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Other than some weird storytelling progression, my only other complaint is about the Sanchez Soldaderas twins. When they got introduced, I immediately had two new favorite characters. I figured they weren't going to be in the movie much, but their design and initial attitude was great. Then we actually got to see them in action... and it sucked. I still love those excellent designs, but why have them mix stock teen girl banter into their fighting? It's a nitpick, but gawd it bugged me.

You, uh, you should watch El Tigre, a lot of the characters/designs were recycled from the show.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Neo Helbeast posted:

You, uh, you should watch El Tigre, a lot of the characters/designs were recycled from the show.

Thanks for the headsup!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Second, the musical choices for the movie were baffling and awful.

In terms of the licensed music, I'm with you 100%. That said, I liked the original song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTQ7TYi7Siw

:siren: NOTE: That song is really spoilery, do not listen to it until you've seen the film. :siren:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pick posted:

In terms of the licensed music, I'm with you 100%. That said, I liked the original song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTQ7TYi7Siw

:siren: NOTE: That song is really spoilery, do not listen to it until you've seen the film. :siren:

I totally forgot about that song. Didn't really grab me, but it's by far the best the movie has.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wasn't Song of the Sea supposed to come out this year? What happened with that?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So this Simpsons did a Treehouse of Horror episode where at the end, all these different animated versions of the simpsons show up. It's fun seeing all the different styles together, but it took me a few viewings to notice something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNGVaN8FPYw

That's totally John Ratzenberger voicing homer when the CG Simpsons comes in isn't it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Moana is coming

http://skunkandburningtires.com/first_look_moana4466/

"Moana will be John Musker and Ron Clement’s first fully computer-animated film. Although initially rumoured to be made in hand-drawn/computer-animated technique introduced with Disney’s short film Paperman, Musker said that it is “far too early to apply the Paperman hybrid technique to a feature. The Meander digital in-betweening interface still has a host of production issues (including color) that need to be perfected.”"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neo Helbeast posted:

I have never heard of this El Tigre, what was it / when was it on?

Pick posted:

I don't recall any licensed songs aside from that one Radiohead song, but maybe I just didn't recognize them I guess?

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 21, 2014

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

raditts posted:

Nicktoons channel. It was short lived, but pretty good. As far as I remember. He was a superhero, his dad was another superhero, and his grandfather was a supervillain. It was pretty amusing.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

http://nicktoons.nick.com/videos/el-tigre-videos

http://www.amazon.com/Sole-Hero-Night-Living-Guacamole/dp/B004EIG8A0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413879605&sr=8-1&keywords=el+tigre

http://www.amazon.com/El-Tigre-Adventures-Rivera-Season/dp/B006CWITA8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413879605&sr=8-2&keywords=el+tigre

As far as I can tell it's completely vanished into the :files: ether, which is unusual for a children's show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Can somebody recommend me a good book about animation/history of the animation? I wanna know how all the Disney stuff is made and maybe check out how movies like Ghost in the Shell and Akira were made. Also if the books had some info about CGI it would be a big plus, although not completely necessary.

• Locked thread