Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's not exactly like that. It doesn't have anything to do with reflection or introspection, it's a shift in perception. It's like getting kicked in the head and suddenly standing a step to the left of yourself. Hard to explain if you don't know what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I actually have a freakishly good memory of stuff that happened when I was a kid. It's part of my ADD related problems, remembering random poo poo from days/weeks/years ago instead of what I actually need to be remembering *now*.

Have you gotten checked for ptsd?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Yeah I probably got that too

My childhood was pretty hellish and I have an emotional limiter somehow. Like I can't even force myself to cry when really bad poo poo goes down, and I can't get angry enough to do anything more than punch my desk, because if I give in to emotion I go all the way to 10 so I either get so mad that I scare people or I am totally off the rails crying. But I don't do that because I have an emotional limiter. The flip side of this is I never really get happy, because I can feel a little happy but if I get too happy I get hype as gently caress. Problem is that the limit is set low enough that I don't feel anything most of the time.

[Ask] me about childhood and adult ADD, or ptsd or whatever, lets all get drugged up and feel nothing

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

No, but I figure I have it. One of my old therapists figured as much. I've learned how to get past all that stuff with CBT and mindfulness though!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

signalnoise posted:

My childhood was pretty hellish and I have an emotional limiter somehow. Like I can't even force myself to cry when really bad poo poo goes down, and I can't get angry enough to do anything more than punch my desk, because if I give in to emotion I go all the way to 10 so I either get so mad that I scare people or I am totally off the rails crying. But I don't do that because I have an emotional limiter. The flip side of this is I never really get happy, because I can feel a little happy but if I get too happy I get hype as gently caress. Problem is that the limit is set low enough that I don't feel anything most of the time.

[Ask] me about childhood and adult ADD, or ptsd or whatever, lets all get drugged up and feel nothing

:geno::hf::geno:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
You know what rules about my ADHD diagnosis? Being held to a higher standard.

It was this spring, during college. A few weeks after that, the semester ended, I was told by my university that I had dropped too many classes during college to meet "Standard Academic Progress". Now, I've dropped a total of five classes during college(of the 6 we can drop before they count as an F) and apparently you have to actually complete 67% of the classes you take to receive financial aid(this includes federal loans, LOL).

I was one class short of this goal because I dropped a bunch in Fall of 2013 and only took two this Spring and dropped one anyways.

So I appealed, the appeal was denied. I did a secondary appeal which was a much longer one after I had read much more about ADHD. It was passive-aggressive as gently caress but it was approved.

So now I'm in a probationary semester, one that was setup by my advisor. It is 16 hours, something I've never done before. If i fail or drop a single class I will be denied access to financial aid next semester.

This seems like complete bullshit. This semester is kicking my rear end even with medication. I'm being held to a higher standard because I have a disorder, and this entirely driven by federal guidelines.

I feel like I'm being set up to fail. I don't expect to be coddled but I feel like there should be some sort of recourse for "hosed up because of undiagnosed mental disorder, am now diagnosed and being treated" besides being thrown through the grinder.

I guess this is an e/n-esque post but there aren't very many people I know in real life that "get it".

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
The stimulants being curative studies was published about eighteen months ago in psych journals, but since then they've found scans that can indicate the physical differences in the brain and Google is just chocked full of those articles. They are also making headway in identifying genetic markers so in a few years this thread will be far less the guesswork we've had to endure so far. If I run across it though I'll post it.

signalnoise posted:

That sounds like PTSD and I highly suggest you find a good cognitive behavior therapist that specializes in trauma because you do not have to live like that.

This is really where my journey began, was treating childhood trauma. I found someone who was trained in EMDR and was able to experience life without re experiencing the emotion of past trauma every time I percieved a conflict. It's been about six years and were still unravelling poo poo but my quality of life and the ability to form more meaningful relationships is priceless.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

slogsdon posted:

You know what rules about my ADHD diagnosis? Being held to a higher standard.

It was this spring, during college. A few weeks after that, the semester ended, I was told by my university that I had dropped too many classes during college to meet "Standard Academic Progress". Now, I've dropped a total of five classes during college(of the 6 we can drop before they count as an F) and apparently you have to actually complete 67% of the classes you take to receive financial aid(this includes federal loans, LOL).

I was one class short of this goal because I dropped a bunch in Fall of 2013 and only took two this Spring and dropped one anyways.

So I appealed, the appeal was denied. I did a secondary appeal which was a much longer one after I had read much more about ADHD. It was passive-aggressive as gently caress but it was approved.

So now I'm in a probationary semester, one that was setup by my advisor. It is 16 hours, something I've never done before. If i fail or drop a single class I will be denied access to financial aid next semester.

This seems like complete bullshit. This semester is kicking my rear end even with medication. I'm being held to a higher standard because I have a disorder, and this entirely driven by federal guidelines.

I feel like I'm being set up to fail. I don't expect to be coddled but I feel like there should be some sort of recourse for "hosed up because of undiagnosed mental disorder, am now diagnosed and being treated" besides being thrown through the grinder.

I guess this is an e/n-esque post but there aren't very many people I know in real life that "get it".

I totally get it and it sucks, but you can do it.

Are you receiving accommodation under ADA. The school should be providing you with the appropriate accommodations for adhd so you can be successful. It's okay to accept them, it doesn't make your achievements less than. They have to provide you help (in the us) and there is no shame in accepting it.

What I can share from my college experiences that are bury probably too deeply in this thread to find are-

I found that I had higher retention by doing my academic reading while doing it on an elliptical at the gym. I wore a hoodie to prevent peripheral vision and I used a thunderstorm simulator to create white noise punctuated by random low tones to drown out the pop music and chattering around me. I found that if I created traditional ideal study conditions I would score 13% lower on quizzes and tests.

Anything I could manage to get on an e-ink Kindle, I was able to complete the reading with less distraction. Since then I've had my first kid, and our pediatrician has recommended we ban all light emitting screens (television, kindle) for the first couple of years of life. So iPads and computer screens are over stimulating to begin with. Part of what always got me was the volume of reading college required in too short of a time span. Not knowing what page I was on because of not having a physical book kept the inability to appropriately judge how long a task takes part of ADHD in check. (We tend to grossly over or under estimate the time things take and end up psyching ourselves out of trying, or waiting to the last minute and running out of time and then quitting as a response to this).

Just hopping on the elliptical and later treadmill with a e ink reader lead to completing the reading, getting exercise and getting better sleep, which lead to better retention and created routine that ultimately lead to academic success.

My niece who managed to get a degree in English, fine art painting, and microbiology was successful because she would beg to sit in different sections of the same class and gamed the academic system through repetition. She has since been diagnosed with ADHD because she couldn't cope in the same manner in the workplace.

I know it was unsolicited, but that's my free advice.

I apologize if my posts have gross grammatical errors, I'm in bed on my iPad (and my eyes hurt). I'll edit them when I get to a computer later.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I got diagnosed a few months ago by a Psychiatrist and I've been switching around different RX since then. It helps but I find sitting in college lectures/classes to be tiring unless I *really* like the topic. I could go for walk every 15 min but I admit this probably won't work on in the long run. I'm in NY, USA and wondering if it's worth seeking disability services or not due to costs (I have a cheap health insurance...).

It's mostly around focus issues and being irritable all day if I'm stuck during commutes (4 hours :buddy:) or class. I have the low energy version of ADHD btw.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

TheBigBad posted:

I totally get it and it sucks, but you can do it.

Are you receiving accommodation under ADA. The school should be providing you with the appropriate accommodations for adhd so you can be successful. It's okay to accept them, it doesn't make your achievements less than. They have to provide you help (in the us) and there is no shame in accepting it.

What I can share from my college experiences that are bury probably too deeply in this thread to find are-

I found that I had higher retention by doing my academic reading while doing it on an elliptical at the gym. I wore a hoodie to prevent peripheral vision and I used a thunderstorm simulator to create white noise punctuated by random low tones to drown out the pop music and chattering around me. I found that if I created traditional ideal study conditions I would score 13% lower on quizzes and tests.

Anything I could manage to get on an e-ink Kindle, I was able to complete the reading with less distraction. Since then I've had my first kid, and our pediatrician has recommended we ban all light emitting screens (television, kindle) for the first couple of years of life. So iPads and computer screens are over stimulating to begin with. Part of what always got me was the volume of reading college required in too short of a time span. Not knowing what page I was on because of not having a physical book kept the inability to appropriately judge how long a task takes part of ADHD in check. (We tend to grossly over or under estimate the time things take and end up psyching ourselves out of trying, or waiting to the last minute and running out of time and then quitting as a response to this).

Just hopping on the elliptical and later treadmill with a e ink reader lead to completing the reading, getting exercise and getting better sleep, which lead to better retention and created routine that ultimately lead to academic success.

My niece who managed to get a degree in English, fine art painting, and microbiology was successful because she would beg to sit in different sections of the same class and gamed the academic system through repetition. She has since been diagnosed with ADHD because she couldn't cope in the same manner in the workplace.

I know it was unsolicited, but that's my free advice.

I apologize if my posts have gross grammatical errors, I'm in bed on my iPad (and my eyes hurt). I'll edit them when I get to a computer later.

Thanks for the study tips, I'll give those a try in some form.

I haven't registered with my school's disability office yet because I basically have to get a secondary diagnosis which I just don't have time for.

My main problem is spanish. They started me out on it this semester as part of my academic plan and it's just kicking my rear end. The teacher is really fast-paced and there's just an overwhelming amount of work to do in that class. It's an entirely different type of learning for me and it's gonna take some doing for me to pass at this point, and it's gonna be at the expense of my actual major-specific classes.

I'm going to make an appointment with my advisor this week and see if there's any sort of reprieve, probably should have done that earlier but I guess better late than never.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

You only need the first diagnosis to invoke Ada.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Thanks to all the posters in this thread. I have been having significant issues focusing for several years now, and while I managed it in the past,it seemed to have gotten worse, and eventually it got to a point where while I was conducting therapy, I would be forgetting who a client was talking about or realize I missed 5 minutes of conversation. After seeing some stories here, I decided it was time to take action. After a very brief initial appointment with a psychiatrist, who honestly seemed more interested in my insurance mental health deductible than my condition, I was given some memory and attention tests and was diagnosed with ADHD and given two weeks supply of 10mg adderall 2x a day with a follow up appointment in a week. That was honestly the weirdest appointment ever to assign a pretty hefty diagnosis.

It seemed like she wasn't interested in one of my other main complaints, which was I cant find any balance in my hobbies or activities. I will get incredibly obsessed with something, be it a video game or a gym routine, and devote all of my time and energy to that until I get bored and then never pick up the hobby again. I wanted to know if anyone here shared similar experiences.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sleepness posted:

It seemed like she wasn't interested in one of my other main complaints, which was I cant find any balance in my hobbies or activities. I will get incredibly obsessed with something, be it a video game or a gym routine, and devote all of my time and energy to that until I get bored and then never pick up the hobby again. I wanted to know if anyone here shared similar experiences.
Oh yeah, absolutely. I've been doing this whole exploration-obsession-boredom routine all my life. Makes it drat hard to stick to much of anything, even when I want to. On the plus side I can really get poo poo done when I need to, it just never lasts long enough.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It has become clear to me that the question is not "Why can't I focus?" The question is "How do I make the things I need to do become the things I want to do?"

This is a loving impossible question and I'm losin' my mind over this test I can't study for.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
A big thank you to everyone in this thread.

A few months I posted in here about my history with childhood ADHD but the fact that I was pulled from the medication during my teens and had been unmedicated since then.

The last four to five years have been incredibly difficult for me as I suppose it has been for many of you until I stumbled upon this thread and a red flag was raised "Hey, ADHD
might not be something that just goes away!"

I got a referral to a psych about two months ago specifically to check for adult ADHD, at that time I was told no to my surprise. Instead I was diagnosed with bipolar as I had also
been going through a period of depression (the first in my life I might add) and this combined with my poor sleep, irritability and impulsive actions apparently were big pointers
towards me being bipolar.

Fast forward to now having gone through a few different medications with little to no affect on any of the reason I requested treatment (primarily my inability to have an attention span
longer than five minutes, excessive fidgeting, angry outbursts, restlessness etc) I was evaluated today to see how the treatment of Lithium carbonate had gone for me. The answer was
despite some awesome nausea despite taking it with food, gently caress all. We also went over all of our previous sessions which have mostly just probed my emotions, my relationships, sex life,
parents etc.

Given my history with ADHD and myself feeling I do not meet some of the larger aspects of bipolar (Manic behaviour either towards a depress or euphoric state) I straight up told
my guy I thought he was wrong, I thought it was ADHD and could I explain why?

By the time I was done I got the following:

"You are right, its not bipolar, its ADHD".

So apparently the two of them can share very similar symptoms but the fact that I was continually failing to trip the depression related aspects of it combined with how I explained
my average day to him was enough. He told me he had been borderline for a while but it had been made difficult by the depression which he now acknowledges is a result of my
frustrations being caused by my ADHD symptoms rather than being the cause of anything itself. Essentially as soon as I opened my brain and just let all of my frustrations regarding
my focus, attention, hyperactivity etc that was all that was needed.

This is going to make me sound like a really weak person but at the end of it with the diagnosis received as we started discussing treatment I honestly just broke down and cried.

The thought that there could be an end to this, that it may in some way be brought under control and that I am not just some loser who will need to "deal with it" for the rest of
my life is almost too good to be true. Having not been medicated since a child and being able to remember little of how effective it was at that time I am trying not to get my
hopes up too much but my fingers are crossed.

I was on a pretty high dexy dose as a child but in this case he has decided to start me on a relatively low dose of strattera which he says has done well in studies, 40mg a day to start.
I won't get them until tomorrowas my pharmacy was saying its not really a commonly carried drug.

*edit*

I should add that for some reason he currently considers me to be at the extreme end of the disorder spectrum, I am not sure why that is as I must admit I had tuned out at around
this time. I should have paid more attention to what he was saying.

insidius fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 15, 2014

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
When medicated, how normal is it to still have 'bad days'? How many bad days in a row should I wait it out before I call my shrink?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

I forgot to take my medicine today but I managed to get a lot of poo poo done. Not sure if I was hyperfocused or if the Adderall lingered a bit?

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

God Over Djinn posted:

When medicated, how normal is it to still have 'bad days'? How many bad days in a row should I wait it out before I call my shrink?

You're always going to have Bad Days. I think more than three or four in a row with no catalyst is a good reason to call, but that's just IMO.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

God Over Djinn posted:

You will always have some bad days. Are you exercising regularly? This is a very very very big thing to help with all sorts of mental issues on a day to day basis.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

God Over Djinn posted:

I think a good idea would be approx 2 weeks if you're switching medications and agreed w/everyone else how there will always be Bad Days as with many mental illnesses. Some days are just more tolerable than others.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I'm interested to hear people's experiences on their first few days of medication, especially in terms of what I can tell my doctor because based on my first visit, she seemed like she wasn't even paying attention. I'm currently on 10 mg Adderall IR, twice daily. I guess I don't really know what I'm supposed to be feeling. When I took it, I got giddy for around 5 minutes. Now, I just feel like my normal self. I did take it with a cup of coffee though, which might have not been the best idea. I'm still getting incredibly distracted at work (as you can see, I'm on SA when I have a massive project due) and still have trouble following conversations.

sleepness fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 15, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

10 mg isn't terribly much, so that might have something to do with it. You're supposed to increase the dose in 10mg steps until you reach something you're comfortable with.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

10 mg isn't terribly much, so that might have something to do with it. You're supposed to increase the dose in 10mg steps until you reach something you're comfortable with.

Thanks. I guess I'm just worried about asking for a higher dosage so soon if I don't really know what I'm supposed to be feeling, especially since she told me that I would notice something about 30-45 minutes after taking the pill. I'll give it the week.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

sleepness posted:

Thanks. I guess I'm just worried about asking for a higher dosage so soon if I don't really know what I'm supposed to be feeling, especially since she told me that I would notice something about 30-45 minutes after taking the pill. I'll give it the week.
Don't be, it's completely normal. Since I've started getting Ritalin, I've gone from 10mg to 40. In adults, it's common to go above 60. I'll see how the rest of the week goes. What I can say is that I keep feeling better the higher the dosage goes. Not in the getting high way, but more emotionally balanced and alert.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
I found that, as I raised my dose, I would quickly acclimate to the new dose and need more to get the same concentration ability. As a result, I find I really have to limit myself on the Adderall and, instead of raising my dose, supplant with other stimulants (primarily yerba mate and coffee) to get through the rougher days.

Also: When I was taking higher doses, I was a complete miserable gently caress in between doses, just a real rear end in a top hat to myself (lots of negative self talk) and my significant other. I'm still a bit of a miserable gently caress between doses now, but it seems that the higher the dose, the more miserable I was when it wore off.

Side note for anyone just starting on stimulant medication: Stay away from acidic stuff (orange juice for example) around the time you're taking your dope, otherwise the two will battle it out in your stomach and you'll not get as much (if any) benefit from the drug. I learned this the hard way.

Edit: I totally feel all of you saying you find something new (hobby,etc) and become obsessed with it, then lose the spark really fast. It's incredibly frustrating. I've worked on lowering my expectations and giving myself a break, and that seems to be helping. Previously I wasn't letting myself enjoy anything because I had this constant "you're going to be bored of this in a week so why do you even try" internal monologue going, and that's just some really self-destructive bullshit.

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 16, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jared592 posted:

Edit: I totally feel all of you saying you find something new (hobby,etc) and become obsessed with it, then lose the spark really fast. It's incredibly frustrating. I've worked on lowering my expectations and giving myself a break, and that seems to be helping. Previously I wasn't letting myself enjoy anything because I had this constant "you're going to be bored of this in a week so why do you even try" internal monologue going, and that's just some really self-destructive bullshit.

Hmm---I always thought it was more of a side effect my personality for a while. I can get extremely obsessive about one topic say hobby e.g. check out all the library books, bookmark a lot of sites, and spend hours just doing "research" then it's over. I either return all the books unread and then I clean up all those incomplete projects at the end of the month.

It's a pain esp for classes which are not exactly interesting or the instructor is less than compelling with the materials. I just tend to zone out or become not-awake/not-asleep mode.

Yes, I know a lot of the school education system is not really skippable as in the sense I can't just cut out electives or reqs as I see fit depending on my interest level :v:

I don't notice much of a change unless it's about 1-2 weeks after.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
Is there any point in getting a diagnosis if my doc is willing to prescribe medication for me regardless? I've been sent to a specialist who did a bunch of computer tests and some surveys but then decided my inattention and spazzyness was due to my overwhelming depression at the time. I can't remember what the results were, but I definitely remember several tests coming out abnormal, but I didn't understand what they meant since it was all in psych jargon and statistical results. The computer test was a screen that flashed different letters and I was supposed to hit the spacebar if a certain letter came up but not others. Now, 9 years later, my depression is under control but I still can't read anything without having my mind wander mid sentence without me noticing and then realizing I don't actually remember anything from the past x pages and have to start over again. I'm reading everyone's experiences and they're really similar to what I've dealt with my entire life. When I was still in school, I had a good system where I wrote everything down in a scheduler and made myself go somewhere without internet or distractions so I could get work done but mainly writing everything down because it was the only way anything would get started. I have an entire room full of hobbies I've been obsessed with, gotten competent at, and then abandoned. I tend to procrastinate until the very last minute and then get an adrenaline rush from the anxiety and get everything done. I've been drinking obscene amounts of coffee and energy drinks for as long as I can remember.

I guess my main worry is that I'm thinking about changing psychiatrists because my current one is a flake and has completely forgotten to show up to at least 3 different appointments and I'm not sure I'll be able to get medication from another one without having to go through more testing. I've always really high grades and the last examiner used it to mean that I never had problems in school, which wasn't true. I was always able to get by without ever really paying attention in class. I've been to three different testers (back when my depression was really bad) who have all told me that it's just my depression (the first was the computer testing/survey, one just looked at the statistical results from the first testing and didn't ever actually talk to me, the third was a counselor at the college I went to at the time that specialized in ADHD, whatever that means) and that I don't have ADHD but I still think I do. I'm not holding a lot of hope that the result will be any different if I got tested yet again. I guess I'm asking if it's possible they're right and I should look elsewhere to find something that fits all the symptoms I have.

Sorry for the block of text. Couldn't quite sort out my thoughts.

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

buffybot posted:

Is there any point in getting a diagnosis if my doc is willing to prescribe medication for me regardless?

No. Diagnoses, in general, are all but worthless unless you want some sort of personal confirmation in order to find closure - or have some sort of lame personal Silver Linings Playbook material to share.

The whole point of psychiatry should be finding the right medication as soon as possible, and it sounds like you're with a rare doc who might realize that.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Marv Albert posted:

No. Diagnoses, in general, are all but worthless unless you want some sort of personal confirmation in order to find closure - or have some sort of lame personal Silver Linings Playbook material to share.

The whole point of psychiatry should be finding the right medication as soon as possible, and it sounds like you're with a rare doc who might realize that.

Or if you are looking to get some bad grades forgiven....

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

buffybot posted:

Is there any point in getting a diagnosis if my doc is willing to prescribe medication for me regardless?

Yes, you should have an official diagnoses just in case. One doctor giving you meds without any paperwork or official stuff saying "hey they have adhd" is going to screw you over if you have to switch doctors, end up in an emergency room or need to apply for accommodations at university or your workplace. If it isn't official then no doctor is obligated to continue treating you for that disorder. It's what saved my rear end several times inbetween switching doctors.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I had my first day today on the stattera.

I only took a single 40mg dose and two hours in I had my head in the bowl of the company toilet throwing my guts up followed by a few hours of general shakiness.

Apparently that can come with the territory and should vanish after a few days at most but jeez, normally I just have a laugh at the side affects on the box as some sort of 1 in a million thing. This was harsh as hell. It completely blind sided me. My work day was not at all productive :\

My doctor has made the suggestion that tomorrow I eat half my breakfast, take the pill and eat the other half. I dont know what that will achieve but I am willing to try it to avoid another repeat of today.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yes, you should have an official diagnoses just in case. One doctor giving you meds without any paperwork or official stuff saying "hey they have adhd" is going to screw you over if you have to switch doctors, end up in an emergency room or need to apply for accommodations at university or your workplace. If it isn't official then no doctor is obligated to continue treating you for that disorder. It's what saved my rear end several times inbetween switching doctors.

Honestly, I wanted a official diagnosis because I had a ton of so-so doctors in the past and w/o straight up medical paperwork they'd refuse to provide treatment :v:

For example, I had a brief former doctor tell me I didn't have *any* mental illnesses at all and instead I had "low self-esteem." Thanks, for ignoring 6-8 years of medical treatment. I'm cured from everything now by your wisdom.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Hi, this morning I'm back on meds (Vyvanse 30mg) for the first time in 4 years. My head feels less cloudy but holy poo poo I have no appetite, I'm hungry and I've been working on a bowl of soup all morning.. and it's now noon. I am forcing myself to eat. It's not fun. :coolfish:

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I have to thank this thread for giving me the motivation to seek medical/therapeutic help. Before noticing this thread I was unmedicated and struggling with large mood swings that dipped into depressive episodes, prickly irritability, abnormally low levels of energy/motivation, and a near constant state of anxiety. Now I'm on a cocktail comprised of Lexapro/Lamotrigine/Adderall and having weekly CBT therapy sessions and now I've reached a point in my life where depression and anxiety are no longer my defining characteristics. Apparently it feels good to be happy and motivated.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Or if you are looking to get some bad grades forgiven....

A diagnosis will also allow you to invoke the Americans with Disabilities Act. It allows you to be a protected class that can not be discriminated against which is applicable in school and the workplace.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I have to thank this thread for giving me the motivation to seek medical/therapeutic help. Before noticing this thread I was unmedicated and struggling with large mood swings that dipped into depressive episodes, prickly irritability, abnormally low levels of energy/motivation, and a near constant state of anxiety. Now I'm on a cocktail comprised of Lexapro/Lamotrigine/Adderall and having weekly CBT therapy sessions and now I've reached a point in my life where depression and anxiety are no longer my defining characteristics. Apparently it feels good to be happy and motivated.

'ey dogg that is good to hear! keep the faith, keep on truckin' :coolfish:

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

sleepness posted:

Yep. Pretty common trait probably. Writing songs is my most reliable hobby but I still take six month breaks. That or I guess something like painting would be neat cuz a few days of obsessive focus you can finish a recording or something and it never goes away, even if your motivation does.

froward posted:

Hi, this morning I'm back on meds (Vyvanse 30mg) for the first time in 4 years. My head feels less cloudy but holy poo poo I have no appetite, I'm hungry and I've been working on a bowl of soup all morning.. and it's now noon. I am forcing myself to eat. It's not fun. :coolfish:

Yeah I take vyvanse. I started to just snack on pretzels purely for energy during the work day and have a bowl of rice and beans at dinner when I realized I had muscle loss from not eating and was getting terrible back pain. I no longer crave unhealthy foods so simple hearty meals once a day seems to work.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 17, 2014

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Vyvanse and appetite: about a month in (50mg), the appetite loss has lessened for me. Of course, I sit here at 1:30 PM not having eaten yet today despite going for a 30 mile bike ride this morning, but after a month or so on it, I'm finally not disgusted by the idea/smell of food, and I can usually manage to have my first meal of the day around 6-8 hours after taking it. So if you just started on it, don't give up hope! Oddly enough, I've found that alcohol helps a lot. If I have a beer an hour before lunch or dinner - not enough to even get buzzed - I tend to be hungrier and eat a lot more. Obviously not a perfect solution, but worth a try on really bad days.

Exercise: Somebody mentioned exercise in response to my question upthread, and I just wanted to share a little bit about my experiences. I exercise more or less every day, and have for many years. I do 100% cardio, running and cycling. I find that for my ADD, exercise helps in the long term and hurts in the short term. That is, when I get back from a long run or bike ride, and for the next few hours, I find it very difficult to concentrate and tend to get 'stuck' on meaningless activities like reading the news or browsing the forums (this 'getting stuck' - sometimes for many hours at a time - is my most severe ADD symptom). But in the long term, if I have to stop exercising for a week or two due to injury or illness, my symptoms get much, much worse overall, especially the irritability and impulsivity. I really enjoy exercise, and it's improved my quality of life on average. But I do wonder if any other people with inattentive symptoms find that they get compounded by the post-workout 'brain fog'.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Since getting put on a combination of Venlafaxine and Ritalin I've lost some 30 pounds. Not that I'm complaining, I wanted to get rid of those holiday pounds for a long time now, but I think I need to stop now. I really, really don't want to start drinking regularly to do it, though. Anything else that helps? It's not that I don't want to eat or that I don't get hungry, it's more that it doesn't feel very pressing. Like, I don't know, feeling pain without it being actually unpleasant. You know it's there, but it doesn't motivate you to do anything unless you actively think about it. So I tend to forget eating a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
I have the exact same relationship with hunger now. It's not that I don't feel hungry, or that I don't know that I ought to eat, it's just that everything else I might be doing seems more compelling than eating does, regardless of how physically hungry I am. Unfortunately, I didn't find any other magic bullet solutions (and obviously I don't recommend drinking regularly to anyone! It's more just a funny thing that I noticed.) I did find it easier to eat immediately after taking my pill (instead of hours later), and also late at night after they wore out.

Oddly enough, I haven't lost any weight to speak of. I think that's because I was concurrently started on an SSRI with a common symptom of severe weight gain. My weight has stayed the same within 5 pounds or so in spite of eating much, much less.