Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

You're the kid from Indiana Jones?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I wanted to post this, screw you.

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Uhhh yes. Yes I am. :frogc00l:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

you appear to be smaller than the race of midgets

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

you appear to be smaller than the race of midgets

I'm going to chalk that up to artistic interpretation since my artist is 6'7 and I'm 5'10 so I obviously look like a midget to him. That being said, League champions clearly get resized in the game since Malphite would be the size of a tower or something.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
No time for love, Mistah Ziggs.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It kind of looks like Doublelift hanging out with Links champion pool

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I finally suffered through enough soloqueue games (18 games of convincing terrible pubbies to let me Fiora mid and carry them :negative:) to hit gold for the season rewards. I was mad that I ended up at 98 LP and thought I'd have to play an extra game, but after winning a game after that it dumped me straight into Gold V skipping the promo series, which I didn't know was a thing. Thanks Riot!

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Libertine posted:

It kind of looks like Doublelift hanging out with Links champion pool

Dang.

Well, at least it's not frommaplestreet or you'd really be in trouble

stump collector
May 28, 2007

A Stupid Baby posted:

Dang.

Well, at least it's not frommaplestreet or you'd really be in trouble

two twitches?????????

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
In my opinion, Janna is one of those supports that are godlike in high elo because it lets you punish mistakes hard, and it lets you save yourself from bad engages and reset. In low elo, if you're trying to climb to probably, at least Platinum, or until you hit your plateu, it's better to go with a support champion that has more play-making ability. The kind of support you play depends on how you play, some people like hooks, some people like hard-engage, and some people like heavy poke, but Janna is usually about strong disengage and resetting team fights until her team is ready to fight. It's probably better to just go with more aggressive supports as you climb, and when you're at an elo where you feel that other supports begin to out-play you a lot, then pick up Janna and just keep your AD safe.

imo anyway.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Flameingblack posted:

In my opinion, Janna is one of those supports that are godlike in high elo because it lets you punish mistakes hard, and it lets you save yourself from bad engages and reset. In low elo, if you're trying to climb to probably, at least Platinum, or until you hit your plateu, it's better to go with a support champion that has more play-making ability. The kind of support you play depends on how you play, some people like hooks, some people like hard-engage, and some people like heavy poke, but Janna is usually about strong disengage and resetting team fights until her team is ready to fight. It's probably better to just go with more aggressive supports as you climb, and when you're at an elo where you feel that other supports begin to out-play you a lot, then pick up Janna and just keep your AD safe.

imo anyway.

Yeah, I've been trying to master at least 4 completely different types of supports so that I can pick what's best for the team, and so far I got Leona, Nami, Soraka and I've been wanting to master Janna given how well everyone talks about her here in this thread. It's just so hard to get a support that does what I want it to do. Soraka doesn't have enough CC, Nami has good CC but she's not safe enough, Janna is definitely safer and has good CC as well, but in order to make plays you need a lot of skill, and Leona is tanky and has good cc, but you are forced into the same play-making pattern over and over again, and it's hard to be an engage support while simultaneously peeling for your carry.

If I could get Lissandra to be as tanky as Alistar or the other tanky supports, I would be set.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Daemonlasher posted:

So I commissioned a sweet piece of artwork from a friend for my blog, I'm still figuring out how I want to implement it so any suggestions would be appreciated!

YourHealthyColon posted:

Is that the kid from Indiana Jones?

lol

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ori! I love you! Come back!

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

imo anyway.

Or you can pick Janna into all the people who are running kill oriented playmakers and pick Sona or Nami into Janna.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

exethan posted:

Or you can pick Janna into all the people who are running kill oriented playmakers and pick Sona or Nami into Janna.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Watch my video, watch how easy it is to beat Janna as Sona! Then pick Janna every other time and E yourself and walk up and autoattack the gently caress out of Leona until she is weeping openly!

PS: While the guy who I beat in that video didn't seem like a particularly good Janna player, he was 3-0 on Janna before that game so go me, I am the ruiner of 100% winrates!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
the ziggs kinda looks like a guy wearing a really oversized ziggs helmet but baring the Indiana Jones kid alongside the Ori looks neato and the map is cool so there's that

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Servaetes posted:

a guy wearing a really oversized ziggs helmet

I want this to be the next Ziggs skin.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I was on the fence between buying Syndra and Xerath. Xerath is on sale right now so that made the choice a lot easier. He's definitely a fun/strong mage to play. I will probably get Syndra in near future still though.

Something I am wondering..I have about 3400 RP left (had 10k from the Serve promotion)..and I was wondering what league usually does for the Harrowing event? I think I'll probably save the RP I have for those as so far it seems like a lot of nice "Haunted" skins come out. Kind of kicking myself for preemptively buying Haunted Zyra as I'm sure there will be some sort of sale on it.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
BONDDDDDDDDDDDD

I AM NEVER DUOING WITH YOU AGAIN YOU gently caress

e: we still came back and won because im a god

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
IT WASN'T EVEN MY INTERNET IT WAS WINDOWS UPDATE gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUU

E; ps im a ree singa god

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

imo anyway.

If you're not making plays on Janna, you're not Janna-ing properly.

What confuses people is that she's not capable of making plays in lane. This is not the same thing as not being able to make plays. In the chaotic midgame skirmishes, she is the best playmaker that there is. Run ahead of your team, slow someone, pop them all up in the air. Protect your jungler and turn it into a double kill.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Daemonlasher posted:

I'm going to chalk that up to artistic interpretation since my artist is 6'7 and I'm 5'10 so I obviously look like a midget to him. That being said, League champions clearly get resized in the game since Malphite would be the size of a tower or something.

If, when presented with a picture featuring a diminutive fuzzy mad bomber and an impassive clockwork nightmare lady looking at a holographic map, the exact instant reaction of a dozen random internet posters is "oh, I didn't know Short Round played League" then your picture has a few issues with, uh, emphasis. Visually speaking.

86 yourself out of the picture, recommission the picture so you're less of the focus of the composition and in the background connotating you controlling the characters, or just lie about your figure and be Asian Tryndamere chillin' between his pals Ori and Ziggs. Or something like that.

This is the only serious critique you're going to get in this thread. I earnestly hope it helps.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

imo anyway.

I climbed to Gold on Janna. Last year I climbed to Silver on her. Janna is obscenely strong because it can mitigate the 'my teammate is a loving idiot' factor every ten seconds or so. Being a good Janna (compared to your cohort) makes climbing easy, but even an average Janna is incredible against any team that relies on hard engage, which is basically every team right now.

I honestly feel Janna is at her comparative strongest at lower elos, provided you have some inkling as to how to play her. Everyone is an idiot and makes constant mistakes, except the mistakes on your team rarely turn into kills for them. Whenever I play with low-ranked buddies I end up playing Janna because preventing basically every pick in the mid-to-late game is worth a few early game kills.

kingcobweb posted:

If you're not making plays on Janna, you're not Janna-ing properly.

What confuses people is that she's not capable of making plays in lane. This is not the same thing as not being able to make plays. In the chaotic midgame skirmishes, she is the best playmaker that there is. Run ahead of your team, slow someone, pop them all up in the air. Protect your jungler and turn it into a double kill.

She also has a surprisingly strong midlane gank from bot. If you can bypass the wards and nip through the lower bush, a slow + whirlwind can often force a flash. It's one of my favorite moves after we get a kill in botlane (and our jungler's nowhere nearby).

xeose4 posted:

Yeah, I've been trying to master at least 4 completely different types of supports so that I can pick what's best for the team, and so far I got Leona, Nami, Soraka and I've been wanting to master Janna given how well everyone talks about her here in this thread. It's just so hard to get a support that does what I want it to do. Soraka doesn't have enough CC, Nami has good CC but she's not safe enough, Janna is definitely safer and has good CC as well, but in order to make plays you need a lot of skill, and Leona is tanky and has good cc, but you are forced into the same play-making pattern over and over again, and it's hard to be an engage support while simultaneously peeling for your carry.

Honestly, you probably don't even need Soraka in that lineup. I play Janna, Nami, Leona, and Sona (primarily as a hard counter to Janna these days), and if you have the first three mastered you've basically covered all your bases. (also, Sona is the highest winrate support in literally every non-Challenger elo right now, so she's probably worth picking up).

That being said, I'm of the opinion that there are only three basic archetypes of support. Poke, engage, and disengage. Sona is the purest example of poke, Leona the purest of engage, and Janna is the same for disengage. All other supports are basically mixtures of these archetypes - Nami has weaker poke (in terms of sustainability) but gains better engage and disengage than Sona as a result. Thresh has weak poke, decent engage, and decent disengage (with flay and lantern) making him the jack-of-all-trades.

I generally find that if you play Janna/Sona/Leona plus whatever happens to be flavor of the month (like early Thresh, or release Braum) you've basically got the whole support thing down pat.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

occipitallobe posted:

Honestly, you probably don't even need Soraka in that lineup. I play Janna, Nami, Leona, and Sona (primarily as a hard counter to Janna these days), and if you have the first three mastered you've basically covered all your bases. (also, Sona is the highest winrate support in literally every non-Challenger elo right now, so she's probably worth picking up).

That being said, I'm of the opinion that there are only three basic archetypes of support. Poke, engage, and disengage. Sona is the purest example of poke, Leona the purest of engage, and Janna is the same for disengage. All other supports are basically mixtures of these archetypes - Nami has weaker poke (in terms of sustainability) but gains better engage and disengage than Sona as a result. Thresh has weak poke, decent engage, and decent disengage (with flay and lantern) making him the jack-of-all-trades.

I generally find that if you play Janna/Sona/Leona plus whatever happens to be flavor of the month (like early Thresh, or release Braum) you've basically got the whole support thing down pat.

The reason I picked Soraka is because I am of the "4 types of supports" school where I add "Sustain" to that lineup, and reworked Soraka is the indisputable Sustain queen. She is to Sustain what Janna is to Disengage. I run Nami as early game Poke by maxing W first, and then transition into mid-game Engage/Disengage by trying to get picks with Q and turn around teamfights with R.

I just wish Soraka was more useful in teamfights, you know? Sustain is amazing when paired with tanks and bruisers, since your team becomes this unstoppable murderball that just does. not. die. The problem is that nowadays everyone runs squishy glass cannons in every lane and there's burst damage everywhere and there's only so much healing you can do.

I hear good things about Sona, but I just can't play her the way everyone else does. I've seen some amazing Sonas outputting almost Karma levels of poke and landing awesome ults, but every time I play her I tend to misposition too much due to the short range of her auras, and I get killed very easily.

EDIT:

Re support types, this is the school of thought I adhere to:

pre:
Support Types | Aggressive | Defensive
Little/No CC  |    Poke    |  Sustain
Lots of CC    |   Engage   | Disengage

xeose4 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 16, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Something is going on with TF's profile page- his cards are white and different and its all smoky and stormy. New champion teaser? Ao Shin? Harrowing?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Couple of others have that apparently too though I haven't looked at who.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Couple of others have that apparently too though I haven't looked at who.

Hec, Cass, Liss, TF, Zed, and LB all have the effect.

My first thought is 'harrowing skins' but Hec and TF already have some...

EDIT: And Xerath.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Hellioning posted:

That and Zyra and Fiddlesticks aren't showing up for that, which would make sense if it was Harrowing skins.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Hellioning posted:

EDIT: And Xerath.

It's Ao Shin. They're all mid-laners (Hec counts because of the infamous Curse thing). Azir's background is not loading for me, so that is probably further confirmation.

I wonder why they're highlighting some midlaners and not others. Some of them are assassins (LB, Zed), others are long-range harassers (TF, Xerath), Hec is a joke pick, Cass is a hyperscaler and Liss is an initiation CC mage. The initials of the champions spell HCLBLTFZX, which is nonsense (even if you remove the F and the B), and the city state representation is all over the place. Maybe all these champions were designed by the same Rioter?

EDIT: They were all designed by a different person. Now THAT feels deliberate.

xeose4 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 16, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
They almost all seem to be betrayers

TF betrayed Graves, Xerath betrayed Azir, Cass betrayed Sivir, Liss betrayed her tribe, Zed betrayed Shen and his master, Leblanc probably has betrayed lots of people and I think he did that with the last general of Noxus.

Hecarim I'm not sure about though - there's some weird Twisted Treeline lines but otherwise his backstory is vague.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 16, 2014

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I bet it's gonna be a spooky harrowing event.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
*Zedding Intensifies*

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You'd think Yasuo would be involved in "betrayers" though.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Yasuo didn't actually betray anyone though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That feel when you are getting smashed in, and then you win because their jungler disconnects.

Elo Heaven is real, and I am a denizen

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm thinking of getting Zac because he seems really cool. Any opinions on his place in the game?

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm thinking of getting Zac because he seems really cool. Any opinions on his place in the game?

Consign yourself to being really bad with him until you learn everything he can do, then pray that nobody on the other team is A) better than you, or B) playing a more easily effective champion.

If it tells you anything about his place in the game, I've never seen Zac on a winning team before.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'd say that purchasing any jungler is a slight gamble at the moment with the upcoming pre-season changes. Even more so if you barely played them whenever they were part of the free rotation.

The story of Zac is that he was too drat good at release and got some very reasonable nerfs. Then people started playing him top more and he ate nerfs because he was nearly unkillable in lane. Then one by one all his favourite items got nerfs. He was my main jungler in season 3, but at a certain point it became obvious that he was in a really, really bad spot. Not even the insane ganking possibilities that his Slingshot provided could change that.

Since then they've changed Spirit of the Ancient Golem and also altered/buffed his W. Both have made his early game jungling noticeably easier and better. He is still an uncommon pick though. That isn't necessarily a sign of weak champ, Rammus was a high win rate + low pick rate champ for a long time.

So in closing: Don't buy Zac before you've at least played him during one of his free weeks. Buy Rammus if you want a tanky jungler with great ganking possibilities at this very moment (with the added bonus of not having to wonder if he's viable).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Zac is great as an initiator, but Nautilus and Amumu outshine him, outside of the mana issue. Zac's ultimate is also pretty pathetic as far as CC is concerned.

• Locked thread