Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Just as a point of information, I had a Booker's Manhattan at a bar once. (Bartender's choice.) It was a ridiculous waste of that bourbon, and quite delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

biglads posted:

Balvenie Doublewood is a good one as well as the other recommendations

I started her with some Glenlivet, but this is a great choice. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions. I have some round ice cube molds, so dropping one or two of those in with a couple of fingers of this stuff sounds like a fine way to go.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Now that Black Bottle is gone, what good options are left for budget Islays? I know McClelland's is decent, I hear varying things about Black Grouse, and mostly negative things about Finlaggan.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Does the blended Bowmore count as budget? I'm not a big fan of McClelland, personally.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's six isles, smoke head, finnlaggan, big peat and a couple of others

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Devil Wears Wings posted:

mostly negative things about Finlaggan.

I'm quite surprised by this, since it's a non-chill-filtered, naturally-coloured, cask strength independent bottling of what many people suspect to be Lagavulin for £40. Admittedly, it's supposed to be a young expression, but still.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Wachter posted:

I'm quite surprised by this, since it's a non-chill-filtered, naturally-coloured, cask strength independent bottling of what many people suspect to be Lagavulin for £40. Admittedly, it's supposed to be a young expression, but still.

I don't know for certain, but Diageo are pretty precious about Lagavulin stocks and very little goes out to become IBs. The majority of unspecified Islay Malts are Caol Ila.

To put some numbers to this, the capacity of Lagavulin is around a third of Caol Ila.

Regardless of where it comes from, if it's good then drink it!

EDIT: Just got an email offering me the chance to pre-order the Mortlach 25 for £585.....!
Wish I'd bought more of the Flora & Fauna 16 for £45 when I had the chance.

biglads fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 16, 2014

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Well hell, Caol Ila's own cask strength bottling is more than double the price! If I were a peathead, I'd snap it up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I quite like Finlaggan for a bargain Islay malt. It's also truly excellent in a hot whisky punch where you want a malt for the body but don't want to just pour money out into the crockpot.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Kenning posted:

I quite like Finlaggan for a bargain Islay malt. It's also truly excellent in a hot whisky punch where you want a malt for the body but don't want to just pour money out into the crockpot.

Apparently this isn't available in VA or nearby in MD. :(

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Those high proof bourbons can sneak up and wallop you but they are delicious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

OGD 114 for lyfe.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I brought a bottle of 114 back from the States a month ago and have torn though it in record time for old fashioneds. It's delicious stuff.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

When did Rittenhouse change their label? I just noticed when I was looking for some glassware the other day and happened past the whiskey aisle. I don't think much of the new label, but as long as the contents are the same I think I'll be able to manage it.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Meaty Ore posted:

When did Rittenhouse change their label? I just noticed when I was looking for some glassware the other day and happened past the whiskey aisle. I don't think much of the new label, but as long as the contents are the same I think I'll be able to manage it.

A couple months ago. I'm not really a fan of the new label.

A question for the more expert minds here though. I am entering a raffle at my usual liquor store to potentially score a bottle of the following:
Van Winkle 10, 12, 15, 20, 23
Van Winkle 13 (rye)
Sazerac 18
Eagle Rare 17
Weller Larue
George T Stagg
Thomas Handy (rye)
Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch
Parker’s Heritage (wheat)
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

I mostly do cocktails, but would love to have a good bottle of bourbon to appreciate occasionally. Obviously a lot of people will be going after the Van Winkle stuff, so what do I have a better chance to get? I know they're all great bourbons, so how do you choose one?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I had last year's OF Birthday and I really like it alot.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
I adore the George T Stagg I have but it is a couple years ago bottling.
I personally would go for the Weller, or the Van Winkle rye.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
That's K&L's raffle and the only way to properly choose is to have tried them all.

Here is my list for you to mull over though:

Van Winkle 23
Van Winkle 20
George T Stagg
Van Winkle 15
William Larue Weller
Van Winkle 12
Eagle Rare 17
Sazerac 18
Thomas Handy rye
Van Winkle 10
Van Winkle 13 rye
Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch
Parker’s Heritage
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

The last three are unknown to me, so I put them at the bottom. I'm not going to take a risk on an unknown when I know I'd like any of the others. I prefer wheated bourbons, so the top is heavy with them.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 20, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Wheaters are boring, Sazerac all the way.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I began my first real foray into Scotch whisky this weekend after a years-long love affair with bourbon, and I have to say I'm really excited by what I'm getting myself into. I picked up a Glenlivet 12 gift box, which came with sampler bottles of 15 and 18, and I wasn't all that impressed with the 12. I'd had it before a few times, but I figured after a few years of drinking bourbon, perhaps this time I'd appreciate it more. Not the case, sadly.

But after spending a day researching and completely obsessing over every bit of info I could gather on Scotch, I picked up a couple of Glencairn glasses and I tracked down two bottles I determined were uniquely great beginner's choices: Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

Trying the Glenlivet 12 in the "proper" glass didn't change my opinion at all. I'm a little let down. It's not bad by any means, it just doesn't do anything special for me, especially compared to some of my favorite bourbons.

It was a taste of Laphroaig 10 the other night at a cigar bar that started this whole fascination, so naturally, I tried the QC next. Goddamn. This is the autumn beverage. There's a slight taste of iodine, so I understand why some people think it has a medicine-like flavor, but I tasted a campfire. A campfire on a rainy, cold beach. You know how your clothes smell the day after sitting by a fire on a cool day in fall? That's exactly what this bottle contains. It's incredible. I had no idea whisk(e)y could taste like this.

The smoky finish was so intense that I still tasted it hours after I poured a dram. It sure made a snack of smoked cheese taste even more wonderful, but there's no way I would've been able to try the Quinta Ruban after that. That'll be tonight. I'm really looking forward to it. Consider me a new Scotch whisky fan.

Next bottle I get will likely be HP12.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 20, 2014

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

I was initially impressed by HP12, and I know it has a lot of fans around these parts, but after a while I noticed an unpleasantly bitter/vomit-like note in the mix and now that's all I can taste.

Honestly if you're a novice peat-head then the next place I'd go is Ardbeg 10 or maybe a younger Caol Ila or Bowmore.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I really wanted to like Highland Park but I couldn't get over the vague barfy taste I got from it, just like some others. It seems rude to put it that way but I don't know how else to say it.

The Quarter Cask is my usual but I just tried a bottle of Bowmore 12 that I liked a lot. It was peaty and smoky like the QC but with the volume turned down a little bit comparatively. It seemed a little sweeter and less medicinal too, but I didn't compare them side by side so who knows.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I'd never heard that about Highland Park. Now I'm even more curious. If I get out anytime this week, I'll see if my local bar has it on the shelf and give it a try. Buying these two bottles cut into my fun money a bit, so I need to be selective. :)

Though I'm probably considered a novice peat-head already, I'm really interested in finding a good all-rounder, something that doesn't give me the same experience that Glenlivet 12 does. I'm hoping the Quinta Ruban will show me some greatness at the other end of the spectrum. I hope I find the same "wow, I had no idea whisky could taste like this" experience in a lot of other drams.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 20, 2014

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

ChetReckless posted:

I really wanted to like Highland Park but I couldn't get over the vague barfy taste I got from it, just like some others. It seems rude to put it that way but I don't know how else to say it.

The wild 'n crazy Richard Paterson calls it baby sick. I can't taste it, but it's the first thing my wife mentioned when trying HP12. :shrug:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

oversteps posted:

I hope I find the same "wow, I had no idea whisky could taste like this" experience in a lot of other drams.

Hoo boy I can't wait until you try a Springbank or Auchentoshan or Nectar D'Or or...

Seriously, once you try a bunch more, you'll be amazed at what people can do with barley spirits aged in oak barrels.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

My ABC Store is run by a bourbon snob who refuses to stock OGD 114. For $22 there is nothing remotely close to being as good, I could strangle the dude.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I have to choose between Ardbeg Uigeadail, Old Grand-dad 114, and Springbank Cask Strength for my monthly payday booze order. This is gonna take some deliberatin' :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wachter posted:

I have to choose between Ardbeg Uigeadail, Old Grand-dad 114, and Springbank Cask Strength for my monthly payday booze order. This is gonna take some deliberatin' :colbert:

Springbank hands down

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 21, 2014

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Springbank hands down

gently caress yeah

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Wachter posted:

spankmeister posted:

Springbank hands down

biglads posted:

gently caress yeah

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Really? Apparently I need to try this springbank stuff. Those other 2 are among my favorites.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Really? Apparently I need to try this springbank stuff. Those other 2 are among my favorites.

really

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I'm not sure of Wachter is talking about the 12 year old Cask Strength or one of the Vintage releases. Doesn't matter. The 12 CS is released in batches, but the one I have is a full on experience. Now the nights are starting to draw in I can see myself getting re-acquainted with it and soon.

A while ago I had a wager with a good friend of mine where the prize was a 'good' bottle of scotch. I won the wager and I saw him today and he gave me a bottle of Bruichladdich PC10. I have every other release for the PC series apart from that one. Good lad. So to celebrate we finished off my open bottle of PC5.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I enjoyed a couple drams of the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban last night.

At first, it was impenetrable. I added water, and then I kept adding water, probably a total of a tablespoon before I was halfway done. Still a bit impenetrable because of the alcohol burn, but by the time I finished the glass it was flavorful and yet dull enough that tiny sips weren't cutting it. It was hard to hold back from taking much larger sips. A good analogy is Dr. Pepper—harsh condensation when you open a can, but when it starts going flat it becomes easy to drink—almost too easy.

On the next glass I barely used any water, and the first few tastes were relatively harsh because of the alcohol and my inexperienced palate, but it really opened up over the course of an hour and some change, becoming ultra sweet and even minty in a way toward the end. Sickeningly sweet, even. I've had dessert wines before, but never considered the idea of a dessert whisky. Best thing I could compare it to is a less viscous syrup, but with chocolate in it. I found myself taking sips of water not to overcome the burn, but to reduce the intense buttery sweetness. It was very enjoyable, but way too sweet to be a nightly dram.

Is it normal for a whisky to open up to that degree over the course of an hour or so? Or is it just my palate getting used to everything?

Either way, I'm looking forward to tasting the Laphroaig QC again tonight to see just what the experience is like this go-around. Perhaps I'll begin with the Glenlivet 15 sample I have.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 21, 2014

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I've been trying a number of the lower priced bourbons mentioned back in the OP, as well as other items in the 30 dollar range, and I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm a bit of a whiskey neophyte, though. I've had the following:

Evan Williams 1783
Bulleit
Maker's Mark
Wild Turkey 101
Knob Creek

So far, Wild Turkey and Knob Creek are pretty good, while the rest are too sweet or just kind of meh. I don't mind the proof at all. Is that why people tell me Wild Turkey is nasty? I think it's okay for the price.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Had a glass of JW Blue Label the other night (among possible options of Blanton's, Old Weller, Glenmorangie, and Bulleit 10 - get-togethers at the in-laws' make for good whiskey tastings). Not something I'd pay the $240 for (especially since I can't really price a whiskey by taste once you get out of the $70-$80 range, so I have no idea whether it's worth that much), but very enjoyable. I don't think it'll pull me away from Blanton's anytime soon in terms of upper limit to whiskey purchases.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 21, 2014

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

UnoriginalMind posted:

I've been trying a number of the lower priced bourbons mentioned back in the OP, as well as other items in the 30 dollar range, and I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm a bit of a whiskey neophyte, though. I've had the following:

Evan Williams 1783
Bulleit
Maker's Mark
Wild Turkey 101
Knob Creek

So far, Wild Turkey and Knob Creek are pretty good, while the rest are too sweet or just kind of meh. I don't mind the proof at all. Is that why people tell me Wild Turkey is nasty? I think it's okay for the price.

WT101 is great for the price. It's amazing that WT have kept a high-proof bourbon around the $20 mark per bottle amidst climbing whiskey prices across the board.

From your likes, and your comment about sweetness, it seems like you might want to try some ryes. Look for WT rye, Bulleit rye, or Rittenhouse BIB to start.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I was initially impressed by HP12, and I know it has a lot of fans around these parts, but after a while I noticed an unpleasantly bitter/vomit-like note in the mix and now that's all I can taste.

I can vaguely taste it in HP12 but it doesn't bother me.

Ardmore Traditional Cask, on the other hand, is like drinking a glass of vomit to me. I also get a pretty strong hint of it in Balvenie Doublewood 12, oddly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

WT101 is great for the price. It's amazing that WT have kept a high-proof bourbon around the $20 mark per bottle amidst climbing whiskey prices across the board.

From your likes, and your comment about sweetness, it seems like you might want to try some ryes. Look for WT rye, Bulleit rye, or Rittenhouse BIB to start.

Bulleit was really harsh the first time I tried it, but I kinda liked that. Puts color in your cheeks! I'll have to have a gander at WT's rye and Rittenhouse. Is Rittenhouse a regional brand? I'm up in Wisconsin (go packers wakka wakka) and I haven't heard of it before.