Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

EightBit posted:

Going to guess that the aileron on the right wing is also up, acting as spoilers to control the airspeed. High altitude operation makes for strange requirements on turbine engines, probably can't throttle down any further but was going too fast.

Edit: I'm aware of the tight speed requirements at high altitude, which is why I'm guessing along the lines of speed control outside of just throttle.

vessbot posted:

This one's the closest so far, but still a ways to go. They had other, more conventional ways to make drag.

If the ailerons are locked together and both up, the chord might change sufficiently to require a more nose-up attitude, aiding engine efficiency or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Mea culpa! I missed it before.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Not uncommon. The GPS systems that many USAF aircraft use is slow at picking up sats and generally only track 4-5 at a time, so the civvie GPS is used as a backup or to provide GPS to off the shelf avionics systems.

Both on C-130 and JSTARS our navs utilize civvie GPS systems alongside their integrated and antiquated GPS

Way back in the 80s (it might be the 90s), a couple of planes went down in the Pacific due to fuel exhaustion after getting lost because they lost GPS signals as the Space Shuttle was coming in for a landing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What am I missing? Because that doesn't make sense to me at all.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Way back in the 80s (it might be the 90s), a couple of planes went down in the Pacific due to fuel exhaustion after getting lost because they lost GPS signals as the Space Shuttle was coming in for a landing.
Do you have a source for this?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Definitely going to need a source for this. I know that reentry can generate a plasma wall that temporarily prevents radio contact for the reentering craft, but interfering with GPS seems like a stretch. Unless GPS was being degraded by the US government :tinfoil:.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

vessbot posted:

At the 6 minute mark and onward, we see a bunch of footage of the left wing with the aileron clearly up, but the plane is not banking. Can anyone guess/know what gives?

I'll post the answer tonight.

I'm pretty sure it's the gust control, which deflects both ailerons upwards to reduce the structural loads on the wings and tail for flight in turbulent air or higher speed flight in smooth air.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

.....really? Can I get a source?

e;fb

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Since everyone else is being too chicken/diplomatic, let me be the one to call bullshit:

BULLSHIT:phone:

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 16, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

What am I missing? Because that doesn't make sense to me at all.

The space shuttle on reentry is surrounded by a ionized plasma; it seems possible that if the shuttle happened to block the satellites you were using then you'd lose them. This would depend on the frequency GPS operates at and I barely passed my EM RF classes so...

Er, I should say that you could lose ONE satellite because of direct line of sight, and even then it would only be very briefly. due to the geometry of the GPS constellation more than one couldn't be blocked.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

The space shuttle on reentry is surrounded by a ionized plasma; it seems possible that if the shuttle happened to block the satellites you were using then you'd lose them. This would depend on the frequency GPS operates at and I barely passed my EM RF classes so...

Er, I should say that you could lose ONE satellite because of direct line of sight, and even then it would only be very briefly. due to the geometry of the GPS constellation more than one couldn't be blocked.

Even then, GPS throws flags when it goes null, usually NAV FAIL or something on the CDUs, and then it switches to the INUs for reference.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bullshit. And here's why!

The plasma shell in front of and beneath spacecraft blocks direct radio contact with ground control.

1) It only happened because the ionized plasma blocked direct line-of-sight radio signals. There's clear air above the craft; ever since the Shuttle era and reliable communication relay satellites, this hasn't been a problem even for spacecraft.

2) Again, it only blocks direct line-of-sight signals. So an airline under the shuttles ground track might lose contact. With one satellite that gets blocked. For a split second, because the shuttle is moving loving 25 times the speed of sound. (Plus I don't think the ionization really picks up until later in reentry, usually over the continental US except in the rare Edwards landing, but I could be wrong about that.)

3) Even if the previous 2 points were wrong and the planes did lose GPS contact, they still have the same backup inertial navigation systems that planes have used throughout the entire history of transoceanic flight. Inertial nav, with periodic updates from floating radio beacons (which I'm fairly sure are still around today, nevermind 20 years ago when GPS was still new), would work just fine to get the plane to its intended destination.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

Definitely going to need a source for this. I know that reentry can generate a plasma wall that temporarily prevents radio contact for the reentering craft, but interfering with GPS seems like a stretch. Unless GPS was being degraded by the US government :tinfoil:.

Why Planes Crash: An Accident Investigator’s Fight for Safe Skies. The author is a former FAA investigator.

quote:

Upon returning to my office, I opened the accident-duty file. The top page was a list of accidents, incidents, and anomalies picked up by air traffic control the night before. I searched for activities in the Hawaii area. Halfway down the page, I found what I was looking for: “An aircraft being transported to Tokyo, Japan from Oakland, California via Honolulu, Hawaii did not close flight plan.” As Peter said, it could mean anything. Sometimes planes secretly landed on remote dirt runways to load up with lucrative Hawaiian marijuana. Other planes simply changed their heading without telling anyone. Most likely, this plane never left Oakland. Pilots sometimes failed to cancel the flight plan when the flight was cancelled.

I scanned through several other occurrences and accidents before I reached the bottom, where I found a second notation: “An aircraft being ferried to Tokyo, Japan from Los Angeles, California via Honolulu, Hawaii did not close flight plan.”

I made more calls and discovered that the pilots of both small planes had originally filed flight plans, but both had departed under visual flight rules (VFR). This happens when a pilot expects clear skies and doesn’t intend to use navigational aids. The decision by both pilots struck me as a risky proposition for a transoceanic flight.

I got back in touch with the LA mechanic. “Why would your guy fly VFR? If something goes wrong, the pilot’s got nothing but a wet compass to get him to Hawaii.” “Well, you know …” “No, I don’t know. So tell me. This is my job.” “GPS, man. He had a handheld GPS. The whole electrical system can fail, and he’ll still get there.”

The mechanic didn’t want to admit that the pilot who left LA was using a Global Positioning System (GPS) unit for navigation. While standard today, in the early 1990s, GPS was not an approved navigation system, although pilots frequently carried a GPS unit as a backup for the less reliable LORAN system then in use. The pilots argued that because the GPS unit was not installed in the cockpit, the unit was not a violation of FAA regulations. I didn’t care one way or the other.

“Well, GPS or not,” I said, “the Los Angeles plane never arrived. Nor did the Oakland plane.” “Weird, huh?” he said insightfully. Later that day, I gave my report to Peter Undem. “The two airplanes left California at about the same time, heading to Honolulu. Both filed flight plans but then went VFR, so they weren’t on radar. I’ve checked out every arrival at every airport in the Hawaiian Islands. Nobody has them landing, and based on what I’ve learned, I don’t think they were drug planes. There’s no evidence of a screwup in record keeping. They just disappeared.”

Peter stared out a window in silence. Finally, he said, “Dave, what you’re telling me makes no sense. You’re missing something. There’s always an explanation.”

(I cut a good portion of the rest of the chapter, here's the relevant part)

The two planes had disappeared on April 5, 1991. The fifth of April was the day of the Atlantis shuttle launch; the fifth of April was the day NASA calibrated the navigation systems for the air force; the fifth of April was the day the two planes using GPS left California and disappeared.

Two days later, I hurried into Peter Undem’s office. “I found ’em,” I announced. “Here’s the accident report.” “Found whom?” I knew that Peter had written off the missing planes as a couple of drug runners avoiding detection. In fact, he had reached this conclusion before even assigning me the task of locating the planes.
“The two planes that left California and disappeared.”
“Really?”
“The planes left on April fifth, the same day NASA shut down access to the GPS satellites while the Atlantis shuttle was over Hawaii. Both of the pilots were using handheld GPS units for navigation. When the GPS stopped working, the pilots had no idea where they were. I think they just flew around over the water in circles until they ran out of fuel.”
“And crashed in the ocean?”
“And crashed in the ocean. The impact probably killed both pilots. Or they drowned when the planes went under.”
“That would definitely suck.”

Fucknag posted:

Bullshit. And here's why!

Apparently I remember it wrong, it wasn't the Shuttle coming in for a landing, NASA just shut access off to the network. The mission that it happened on was STS-37.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 16, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well, it made me find a really cool paper on communications during atmospheric entry

From the executive summary (working my way through it)...

quote:

GPS Reception Enhancement
Typically, GPS antennas have wide-angle coverage with resultant low gain because of the desire to keep multiple satellites in the field of view. Low power from GPS signals would be further degraded by signal attenuation due to plasma sheaths around reentering vehicles. If the antenna is located on the aft side of a lifting reentry vehicle, there may be little attenuation because of the absence of a plasma sheath on that surface, but multipath phenomena might be produced by reflections from the wake and plasma spilling around the vehicle top and sides.
To increase the antenna gain and reduce the effects of multipath, an array antenna could be built that is capable of forming multiple receive beams. To achieve the best possible noise figure, a low-noise amplifier (LNA) would be provided for each element. Associated with each beam would be a beam- forming network. These beams could be pointed at individual satellites given the location and attitude of the reentry vehicle and the ephemeris data of the GPS satellites within the field of view. Alternatively, each beam could acquire and track a given GPS satellite.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Still sounds like bullshit

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/view_year.cgi?year=1991

I don't see anything here that lines up with the stories from that book.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm sure tons of people crash in the Pacific for all sorts of reasons every year, including fuel exhaustion, but GPS being switched off was not one of them. The only bit of info I can find on GPS status changes in 1991 was that selective availability, i.e. the function that reduced accuracy for civilian receivers, was actually turned off during the Gulf War since many in the military resorted to using civilian receivers when there was a shortage of military ones. Selective Availability was switched back on 1 July 1991. It was switched off permanently May 1 2000.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20120329111058/http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/FGCS/info/sans_SA/docs/GPS_SA_Event_QAs.pdf

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

I'm sure tons of people crash in the Pacific for all sorts of reasons every year, including fuel exhaustion, but GPS being switched off was not one of them. The only bit of info I can find on GPS status changes in 1991 was that selective availability, i.e. the function that reduced accuracy for civilian receivers, was actually turned off during the Gulf War since many in the military resorted to using civilian receivers when there was a shortage of military ones. Selective Availability was switched back on 1 July 1991. It was switched off permanently May 1 2000.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20120329111058/http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/FGCS/info/sans_SA/docs/GPS_SA_Event_QAs.pdf

Somehow I found a website that has all public GPS status reports going back to the beginning. Heres april 5 1991

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Why Planes Crash: An Accident Investigator’s Fight for Safe Skies. The author is a former FAA investigator.

Apparently I remember it wrong, it wasn't the Shuttle coming in for a landing, NASA just shut access off to the network. The mission that it happened on was STS-37.

GPS wasn't fully operational until 1995, the military didn't have handheld GPS units until 1991, calling bullshit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PhotoKirk posted:

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/view_year.cgi?year=1991

I don't see anything here that lines up with the stories from that book.

Be fair now, it was probably small, private planes. Search the NTSB database: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/index.aspx

You can't link a query, so enter Event start date: 4/4/1991 and end date: 4/6/1991, Injury severity: Fatal.

11 accidents on those three days, none of them matching the description. Even if no fragment was ever found, there would be an NTSB report saying so.

Also, gotta hand it to those NTSB old timers for doing their best in saving the tax payer for unnecessary typewriter ink band expenses.

quote:

NO MECH RSN WAS FND THAT WOULD HAVE RESULTED IN THE ACDNT. NONE OF THE PLTS HAD TRNG FOR FLT IN CLOSE PROX- IMITY TO ANOTHER ACFT. THERE WERE INDCNS THE CAPT OF N3645D LACKED TRNG IN ACFT SYSTEMS & THAT HIS EMPLOYER (THE OPER) LACKED SURVEILLANCE BY THE FAA. THE EMERG PROC SXN OF THE AEROSTAR FLT MANUAL LACKED INFO ON EMERG GEAR EXTN.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EightBit posted:

GPS wasn't fully operational until 1995, the military didn't have handheld GPS units until 1991, calling bullshit.

You're off by a decade. Look at this fine piece of 80s tech.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Somehow I found a website that has all public GPS status reports going back to the beginning. Heres april 5 1991

Well done! But I am having trouble interpreting that. Are the short term ones warning about reduced coverage?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

Not true. Most of our aircraft GPS receivers on military aircraft were manufactured in the early 80s and in operation by 1987.

They weigh a fuckton and use D cell batteries for almanac backups.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 16, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

I never said that civilians didn't have handheld units, btw.

Also, considering that a full constellation of satellites wasn't up until 1993, depending on GPS to cross an ocean in 1991 was a monumental mistake; as other people have pointed out, there aren't any records of these incidents happening, so it's not likely that people were actually making that mistake. GPS has been around for lots of goons' entire adult lives, but we're talking about a time where it was being onlined and mainstreamed.

Edit: holy crap, learn to read, not fully operational != doesn't work at all

EightBit fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 16, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I question that because NASA does not control the GPS network.

Selective availability which greatly impacts civilian accuracy was a thing up until 2000, but that's been off for a very long time although I think the DND still has the ability to re-institute it.

e: When I was at my Uncles place last year he had some old Popular Mechanics mags from the early 80s and they were talking all about the upcoming NAVISTAR system, complete with concept photos of a futurist mid 80s car with a dash mounted CRT moving map.

e: Nevermind, just read about nasa "calibrating" them for the air force which, to be honest, doesn't really make a ton of sense. The airforce controls those satellites themselves and always has AFAIK.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 16, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

none of this makes a lick of sense unless the author was suffering from dementia or something.

What aircraft has the range for a VFR ferry from Honolulu to Tokyo, that also has no navigational capability outside of a standby compass??

-edit
maybe some kind of WW2 long range bomber?

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 16, 2014

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Linedance posted:

none of this makes a lick of sense unless the author was suffering from dementia or something.

What aircraft has the range for a VFR ferry from Honolulu to Tokyo, that also has no navigational capability outside of a standby compass??

Bugsmashers get taken across oceans with specially installed ferry tanks regularly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Linedance posted:

-edit
maybe some kind of WW2 long range bomber?

Literally any light aircraft can make that with ferry tanks. I swear I read a blog post about doing a transpacific ferry on in a single engine cessna but I only found a transatlantic one for that.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

slidebite posted:

I question that because NASA does not control the GPS network.

Selective availability which greatly impacts civilian accuracy was a thing up until 2000, but that's been off for a very long time although I think the DND still has the ability to re-institute it.

The newer generation of GPS satellites were actually built and orbited without the hardware for selective availability, so the decision to disable it has been made effectively permanent.

Interestingly, all civilian GPS receivers have some built in "kill switches" to keep them from being used to build something like a ballistic missile. Specifically, civilian GPS receivers are required to disable tracking if the device sees itself moving at more than 1200mph or going higher than 60,000ft.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

azflyboy posted:

The newer generation of GPS satellites were actually built and orbited without the hardware for selective availability, so the decision to disable it has been made effectively permanent.

Interestingly, all civilian GPS receivers have some built in "kill switches" to keep them from being used to build something like a ballistic missile. Specifically, civilian GPS receivers are required to disable tracking if the device sees itself moving at more than 1200mph or going higher than 60,000ft.

My plan to build an entire ballistic missile and then duct tape a Bluetooth enabled GPS unit to the front is foiled!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Since when does NASA, a civilian agency, have the authority to shut off access to the military GPS network? Even the military can only require that access to it be degraded, and the accuracy of civilian devices reduced. NASA can't just say "oh hey guys you're not allowed to use gps right now."

Christ, the FAA would have a shitfit.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Man I am just on a ugly flying machine spree today

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Inacio posted:

Its neighbor over there looks quite sexy.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Hinds are many awesome things, sexy is not one is them...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Hey, that's what I learned to use GPS on. That sucker took a full 10 minutes to lock on to satelites. I wonder if my dad still has it.

My dad picked it up as a replacement for Loran-C that was .. at the time.. being phased out. We also learned what selective availability would do.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Don't you mean BeHind the flying banana?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Inacio posted:

Apple's entry into the helicopter market encountered an unforeseen problem...

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Inacio posted:

Oh hai look a flying banana

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The most collapsable nose gear ever.

Also a fun slide for the crew chiefs to fall out the back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

azflyboy posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the gust control, which deflects both ailerons upwards to reduce the structural loads on the wings and tail for flight in turbulent air or higher speed flight in smooth air.

And you are right! The ailerons and flaps are all deflected up (i.e., the flaps are at a negative setting) which decreases the camber of the wing and lowers the CLmax. That means that if it flies through an upgust that takes it to the critical AOA, it will make less lift than it would otherwise and therefor make less stress.

In addition to that, the ailerons go up more than the flaps, which moves more of the lift inboard and thereby reduces the wing bending moment for the same total lift condition.

I thought this was the cleverest thing when I first read about it.

Now I can't find the Youtube video where I saw this, but the 787 has something similar that automatically kicks in above some certain G.