Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I paint anyway so that's not really a deterrent.

Edit: The arms look kinda lame, but I wouldn't be keeping them anyway.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
For what it's worth, the Abigor is easily the least-bad kit in the 1/144 V line, mainly because it's quite a bit larger than the others. Definitely needs some help but I wouldn't call it a total writeoff.

edit: VVV "run while you still can" would be at the top of my list.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 17, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I'm giving a presentation tomorrow for speech demonstrating how to build Gunpla and while I have an outline, I wanted to get some feedback and see what you all saw as essential components for newbies.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Saying pew pew as you clip the pieces.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'd just point out the manuals are really descriptive.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Some sort of phone or tablet device nearby is essential (for playing the Gundam Build Fighters soundtrack).

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

TheManSeries posted:

So I'm giving a presentation tomorrow for speech demonstrating how to build Gunpla and while I have an outline, I wanted to get some feedback and see what you all saw as essential components for newbies.

Components like tools? Because it's essential you clip the pieces off the frame with nippers and not twist them off. Dear god if I could go back and tell my teenage self that. My zoids looked like crap.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CaptainRat posted:

Some sort of phone or tablet device nearby is essential (for playing the Gundam Build Fighters soundtrack).

I can't do this, I get too busy fist-pumping to the first OP.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

for the love of god don't use nail clippers or a hobby knife to remove the pieces from the runner. get a proper pair of nippers.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Definitely appreciate the help. I'll post the google doc of the speech notes tomorrow for anyone who cares. I'm prepping an HG G-Self for demonstration.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

for the love of god don't use nail clippers or a hobby knife to remove the pieces from the runner. get a proper pair of nippers.

That may be why my Banshee is so awful. It mas my first ever MG, and I used a Stanley knife to cut out the parts. :unsmigghh:

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009

Misshapen blobby hands. Bandai really was more cartoony with their proportions in the 80's. I suppose it matches the lineart a bit. Eventually (and as the instructions call for), I'll glue the square piece on the shoulder joint of each arm to the body of the Gelgoog itself-- the circular part inside the square doesn't attach to anything. I'm a bit worried that I'll break the connection by trying to move the arm up and down.

The beam rifle gets its own hand that you have to permanently glue around the rifle. It's kinda odd in that the hand uses two fingers on the trigger... but again, that matches the boxart.
(The nail clippers in the background were for my nails, don't worry-- I have my own pair of nippers. Haha.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shinde posted:

(The nail clippers in the background were for my nails, don't worry-- I have my own pair of nippers. Haha.)
I actually use toenailclippers for separating thick runners from the sheet, so I don't have to strain too much, or damage my actual nippers. :v:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Honestly nailclippers are okay (assuming they are sharp) but you'll never get particularly flush and you'll always have more to knife off.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bimmi posted:

For what it's worth, the Abigor is easily the least-bad kit in the 1/144 V line, mainly because it's quite a bit larger than the others. Definitely needs some help but I wouldn't call it a total writeoff.

How much bigger? Enough to stop me from making the BadIdeagor?

Rough Mockup:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's roughly comparable to your typical OYW-class HG — taller and somewhat bulkier than the Gundam but not notably more massive for the most part.

1/100 Wing parts come out a bit on the large side but would basically work. 1/144 would be far too small, I think.

edit: enjoying the retro-Goog posts… but yes, kits of that vintage are structurally dubious to put it mildly.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 17, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm a total Gunpla newbie, and was thinking of trying my hand at one of the HG Enacts. Are they decent starter kits, or is this a terrible idea? Any other tips? I have a pair of clippers and have assembled 40K miniatures before, but I'm no expert.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

So I'm a total Gunpla newbie, and was thinking of trying my hand at one of the HG Enacts. Are they decent starter kits, or is this a terrible idea? Any other tips? I have a pair of clippers and have assembled 40K miniatures before, but I'm no expert.

You can't go wrong with the HG Enact. Clippers are fine, but if you have a sharp hobby knife it'll help a lot to remove nubmarks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd recommend against the Enact. It's a fairly simple kit, but it has no polycaps. The limbs have a tendency to flop, which is not something you want in a transforming design.

If you want some simple kits to try, here's a few recommendations;
  • HGUC Jesta Cannon
  • Gunpla Starter Set Vol.2 (The G30th version of the RX-78-02)
  • Any of the modern Strike Gundams (HGCE Strike or Strike Rouge, or either of the Build Strikes)
  • Anything from the All-Gundam lineup, which is any Gundam with a HGUC box number higher than about 170. The Wing Gundam's the first of them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I am torn between recommending HG AGE-1/00 because they're wonderful, cheap kits or HGAW Gundam X because yeah.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd recommend against the Enact. It's a fairly simple kit, but it has no polycaps. The limbs have a tendency to flop, which is not something you want in a transforming design.

If you want some simple kits to try, here's a few recommendations;
  • HGUC Jesta Cannon
  • Gunpla Starter Set Vol.2 (The G30th version of the RX-78-02)
  • Any of the modern Strike Gundams (HGCE Strike or Strike Rouge, or either of the Build Strikes)
  • Anything from the All-Gundam lineup, which is any Gundam with a HGUC box number higher than about 170. The Wing Gundam's the first of them.

I was thinking about the Jegan, then. When and where do the polycaps start showing up in the product line?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Polycaps have been around since the very beginning, they just sometimes do kits without them for some infathomable reason.

It never works out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Polycaps have been around since the very beginning, they just sometimes do kits without them for some infathomable reason.

It never works out.

I see. I am a fan of the 00 mook-suits and Ali al-Saachez's machines - is it just the Enact that isn't capped?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I see. I am a fan of the 00 mook-suits and Ali al-Saachez's machines - is it just the Enact that isn't capped?

The Enact and Flags don't have polycaps. The Tierens are great kits, though the legs have a tendency to pop off if you don't position them right due to a weird hip design. They go back on just fine, just gotta take care in how you pose it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Enact and Flags don't have polycaps. The Tierens are great kits, though the legs have a tendency to pop off if you don't position them right due to a weird hip design. They go back on just fine, just gotta take care in how you pose it.

I'm guessing it's because the Flags and Enacts are so skinny. Would that mean the GN-X is A-OK?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I had a hg gnx3 and that was a fun and solid little kit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm guessing it's because the Flags and Enacts are so skinny. Would that mean the GN-X is A-OK?

I did the HG GN-X and it was good.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Do keep in mind that loose joints can be fixed.

I got my MG Gouf Custom to hold up its gun unassisted, anything's possible.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BlitzBlast posted:

It never works out.

The MG Turn A disagrees. But in general yes.

On a different subject: The HGUC Byarlant Custom is a really solid build, and is quickly becoming one of my favorite kits.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Wrapping the pegs of non-polycap joints in teflon tape tends to go a long way toward fixing their issues.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Mecha Gojira posted:

The MG Turn A disagrees. But in general yes.

On a different subject: The HGUC Byarlant Custom is a really solid build, and is quickly becoming one of my favorite kits.

How's articulation/posability on this?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sweet. Guess I'll order a GN-X, then try my hand at the Throne Zwei.

As an end-goal, I'd like to do a MG Qubeley (best suit, best pilot :allears:), but I want to practice a bit first.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Qubeley's dead simple as MGs go.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

madpanda posted:

How's articulation/posability on this?

If you're talking about the Byaralant, really good, if a bit unorthodox. It's basically got above-average articulation, but the proportions and design make it seem a little strange to pose at first. Once you get the hang of it though, it looks great.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Suzaku posted:

Wrapping the pegs of non-polycap joints in teflon tape tends to go a long way toward fixing their issues.

Huh. Yeah that'd do it, more 00 kits here I come.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bandai, where is my MG Fenice and Gundam X Maoh. :colbert:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Chillin' with the MG AGE-3, AGE-FX and Garfran, probably.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

Two excellent choices. Zwei is an excellent looking piece without paint. The GN-X should be good, I have an A-Laws GN-X III which has big stickers on the legs, which the original won't. Your pick of a cool lance or a cool rifle.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Darth Walrus posted:

As an end-goal, I'd like to do a MG Qubeley (best suit, best pilot :allears:), but I want to practice a bit first.

Practice makes perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Chillin' with the MG AGE-3, AGE-FX and Garfran, probably.

the difference being that build fighters stuff has been selling well.

• Locked thread