Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flashy_mcflash posted:

Would it work if you don't sync it? Like is it an interesting listen in and of itself or is there a lot of dead air?

Sure because he talks about the philosphy and stuff.

But there's a lot of "see how I'm moving away so the camera follows me and doesn't show rock gigging" or "see how I snuck a sip of water there" which probably needs the visual reference point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm sorry if this has been posted/discussed in the main WWE thread but I didn't see it here and it is so loving funny. The first paragraph is such a Dave thing to say, and the second is loving hilarious. Vince is crazy.

holy gently caress

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LordPants posted:

But there's a lot of "see how I'm moving away so the camera follows me and doesn't show rock gigging" or "see how I snuck a sip of water there" which probably needs the visual reference point.

Thanks. I'll wait until I can get the match queued up then. It sounds like a great show.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I'm sorry if this has been posted/discussed in the main WWE thread but I didn't see it here and it is so loving funny. The first paragraph is such a Dave thing to say, and the second is loving hilarious. Vince is crazy.

Vince is a crazy, deluded man.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Best part is when he points out they both use rope breaks in a no dq match. :allears:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Frank Shamrock vs Vince McMahon with Dana White as the special guest referee. Wrestlemania 31; book it!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Vince is a crazy, deluded man.

Vince also probably didn't recognise Frank. Yes, I know Ken worked for him, I still bet he didn't know.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Why does Dave have a no-Mania live rule, and why is he going to break it next year? I assume it's on the West Coast.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CVagts posted:

Why does Dave have a no-Mania live rule, and why is he going to break it next year? I assume it's on the West Coast.

Going to Mania would hinder his ability to complete newsletter stuff in a timely manner during the week that it's most important he does so. WrestleMania 31 will be held in Santa Clara, CA which is like 20 minutes away from Dave IIRC

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

Vince also probably didn't recognise Frank. Yes, I know Ken worked for him, I still bet he didn't know.

IIRC Frank and Ken are not biologically related.

Frank, at that point, was pretty beaten down by years of fighting but he could still tear Vince limb from limb.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

coconono posted:

IIRC Frank and Ken are not biologically related.

Frank, at that point, was pretty beaten down by years of fighting but he could still tear Vince limb from limb.

I'm not sure about the dates but the time that Ken started with WWE would have been around the time that he and Frank had their falling out, so it's possible that Frank and Vince never crossed paths during Ken's tenure. Due to Frank's size he's not someone that I could imagine the WWE ever having an interest in either, so I doubt someone suggested Vince hire him.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I listened/streamed to the Austin WM17 podcast while on lunch break and it is freaking awesome. So much blading going on in that match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Imagine if Frank was wearing his braces at the time. Vince would have been chomping at the bit to stomp that geek midget.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

OSW Review's December to Dismember episode is up.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've seen Frank Shamrock fight many times and I doubt I'd recognize him on the street.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

MassRafTer posted:

Imagine if Frank was wearing his braces at the time. Vince would have been chomping at the bit to stomp that geek midget.

I would pay money to see Frank vs Vince

Bigass Moth posted:

I've seen Frank Shamrock fight many times and I doubt I'd recognize him on the street.

You wouldn't recognize the break out star of Bellator's Fight Master? Shame on you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just be warned when syncing up the Austin match on the Network, there'll be a couple of times where suddenly the audio on the match just completely disappears. That means Austin has signaled to Stacey to pause the video so he can expand on a point, but he never audibly makes the call so you'll suddenly find the video a couple of seconds out of synch and need to make adjustments on the fly.

That's pretty much the only complaint I have about it though. Austin does a great job of explaining what he is thinking, why he does what he does, why The Rock does what he does, why Hebner does what he does etc - he brings up the audio when he wants to point out a great JR or Heyman call, explains positioning, references where he picked up particular physical bits from, talks about how to protect a finisher, how to use pinfalls/kickouts appropriately, when to work snug and when to open up a little bit.

Also it includes the amazing line,"Yeah wrestling ain't real, but if that knee in the Rock's face don't look real to you then I'll kiss your rear end!"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yes it's probably the most informative stuff I've heard since hall was doing commentaries. I never even spotted half the blades and sneaking water before he pointed it out. Made the match even better.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I think one of the things that makes the commentary so great is (obviously) the scale of the match. I've heard some wrestlers (like Cabana) walk people through an old match of theirs but it wasn't the loving main event of Wrestlemania 17, one of the biggest matches ever.

It's also bittersweet watching it again knowing that it was the high point of the era and things starting going downhill from there. It was also the high point of my teenage fandom (and my buddies) and we slowly started losing interest after that. I vividly remember watching that match with all my friends live on PPV, though. It was incredible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Wrestlemania X-7 was literally the first PPV I watched as an adult, and I thought that they would all be that good. Some in the next few years were great, but I've been chasing the dragon ever since.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

The montage is AMAZING!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I've seen the WM X7 match at least 20 times and I honestly never picked up on Austin sneaking drinks of water.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

oldpainless posted:

I've seen the WM X7 match at least 20 times and I honestly never picked up on Austin sneaking drinks of water.

Seriously, watching it now is like watching a magician after knowing their sleight of hand. There's a bunch of blading spots I was totally misdirected from too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Seriously, watching it now is like watching a magician after knowing their sleight of hand. There's a bunch of blading spots I was totally misdirected from too.

Yeah some of them you can work out, but stuff like Hebner passing Rock the blade, or Austin trying to hardaway him to make it better, or giving him time to make it better. There's just so much cool stuff.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
If someone was to put a video on YouTube or something with the match and Austin's commentary together for lazy idiot schlubs like me, those lazy idiots would be eternally grateful.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

New episode of Rex Before E, in which we discuss No Mercy 2003 and Wrestlepalooza 1998.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

The Goog posted:

If someone was to put a video on YouTube or something with the match and Austin's commentary together for lazy idiot schlubs like me, those lazy idiots would be eternally grateful.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/kMcfC3J816uj4N96p2u

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That promo package is probably the best thing Limp Bizkit have been involved with.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

That promo package is probably the best thing Limp Bizkit have been involved with.

Replace probably with definitely.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Just heard the song on B&V&C and I request again...

MODS PLEASE CHANGE MY NAME TO MAJOR BLOWJOBS~!

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Memento posted:

Wrestlemania X-7 was literally the first PPV I watched as an adult, and I thought that they would all be that good. Some in the next few years were great, but I've been chasing the dragon ever since.

King of the Ring 1998 was my first, and chasing a high I will never feel again is an extremely apt comparison.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I imagine people seeing Wrestlemania 30 would've been on a high, and tuned in to Raw only to see Bryan and his wife being stalked by Kane and immediately switching off.

That Austin commentary was great through. One thing he doesn't mention is that as soon as Rock lays on the table it falls apart. I'm guessing it was a botch.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

So the Jericho show with Justin Roberts is co-starring...THE MIZ!!!

But so far it's pretty good and Justin explaining the chewing habits of a certain Bro had me dying.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I actually emailed Austin at his questions@steveaustinshow.com like he requested to give feedback and say I hope he does more of these. Corny I suppose, but if it helps get more of those than whatever it takes. The Hart and Austin commentary on WM13 would be amazing.

There are so many that would be great: Summerslam 98 vs. Undertaker, his other major 'Mania matches vs the Rock, Stampede 97, Survivor Series 96, Summerslam 2001 vs Angle, 2 man power trip vs Benoit/Y2J from Raw (great match and its when HHH tore his quad), 3 stages of hell match vs. HHH.

He has so many that sprinkling them in from time to time would be great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't summerslam 98 just going to be "and this is where I hit my head and I don't remember the rest of the match"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordPants posted:

Isn't summerslam 98 just going to be "and this is where I hit my head and I don't remember the rest of the match"

"Hey, I've never seen this match before, but that bald sumbitch is a drat good worker!"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LordPants posted:

Wasn't that 97?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

sportsgenius86 posted:

Wasn't that 97?

That's one match his memory is still crystal clear on.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

I actually emailed Austin at his questions@steveaustinshow.com like he requested to give feedback and say I hope he does more of these. Corny I suppose, but if it helps get more of those than whatever it takes. The Hart and Austin commentary on WM13 would be amazing.

There are so many that would be great: Summerslam 98 vs. Undertaker, his other major 'Mania matches vs the Rock, Stampede 97, Survivor Series 96, Summerslam 2001 vs Angle, 2 man power trip vs Benoit/Y2J from Raw (great match and its when HHH tore his quad), 3 stages of hell match vs. HHH.

He has so many that sprinkling them in from time to time would be great.

I'm going to email him the same.

I've never heard a match commentary like this before where someone goes into the intricacies of how they planned the match out. Every other match commentary on any DVD is just like "Oh that was a cool move" or "I remember that hurt." I'm surprised to see that most of the match was called on the fly. I know that's the case most of the time but I figured the main event of WM is one thing they would want perfected and rehearsed plenty of times.

It's fascinating to hear Austin say that during the match he was thinking that the Rock didn't have enough color, so he began arguing to the ref and that was somehow a cue to the Rock that he needed to cut himself more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's fascinating to hear Austin say that during the match he was thinking that the Rock didn't have enough color, so he began arguing to the ref and that was somehow a cue to the Rock that he needed to cut himself more.

My favorite part is Austin outright going "Yeah here we are loving up" like a half-dozen times.

• Locked thread