Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnox
May 19, 2013

I just remembered that Corki is a yordle, he also needs to be updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lovechop posted:

RIP to pentakill olaf, the best splash art

I remember buying this skin on sale just because every time I saw the splash art it made me literally laugh out loud and then even if I fed viciously on Olaf I still had a great time rocking people with my 8-pack side-abs.

Then they went and changed the splash art to something boring and now the fun is killed.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What about a transgender character

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

ZenVulgarity posted:

Ezrael

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

e: nvm

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

he's just pretty though

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just started getting some error that won't let me launch my League client today. LolPatcher.exe is a bad image? WTF? Anyone else familiar with this happening recently?

edit: fixed with a reboot. I dunno.

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 17, 2014

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't have the picture anymore but I once had a lol error where it said told me to "please insert CD"

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

Poppy

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

A Stupid Baby posted:

I'm not sure why they bother with the Leagues system, the old transparent ELO method was way more transparent and understandable.

The league system is hilarious, it would seriously be hard to intentionally design a worse system.

Operates on a bunch of hidden mechanics Riot does their best to hide from you at every turn?
A massive facade built over that hidden system designed to trick you with a bunch of meaningless numbers?
Deriving your fake number gain by comparing your invisible numbers to 9 other people's invisible numbers with hidden formulas?
Requiring statistically unsound winning streaks over arbitrary periods of games in order to progress through the obfuscation system?

Add in a cash gacha machine to the mix, and even a crack team of psychologists couldn't design a better system to drive people crazy.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Requiring statistically unsound winning streaks over arbitrary periods of games in order to progress through the obfuscation system?
You could literally win 98 games out of hundred but if those 2 losses are in your promotion series you will never progress.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Super duper fake leaks but they're fun to think about.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's easy to leak info about new skins & champions + reworks since that's stuff you can just see in the office while you're walking around. But why would I ever be inclined to believe leaks about buffs/nerfs that far ahead in the future? The way Riot works, I really don't think they've got a list of champions they want to nerf two months from now, they just do it. That really shows on the PBR where things get buffed and nerfed and reverted on a weekly basis.

As far as the new Ultimate skin goes, there's been a Lux rumor for ages now, because people were unhappy with all the military skins she has and want more fun skins like Lux being a giant Meme Machine and shooting out my little ponies and kittens.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Bisse posted:

You could literally win 98 games out of hundred but if those 2 losses are in your promotion series you will never progress.

You couldn't, because if your winrate is that high it's going to force you back into a promo series after 1-2 games.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I shudder to think how Elise can be reasonably buffed without immediately making her 100% pick/ban in competitive, short of basically a total rework.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Tired Moritz posted:

Super duper fake leaks but they're fun to think about.

Thats all fake except... hold on... Irelia nerfs? Cool, looking forward to the ultimate lux skin.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

AHH FUGH posted:

That said, I wonder what champion has the highest report rate. Yi? I know he has the highest leave rate...
Actually, I'm pretty certain the highest leave rate is Riven.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Bisse posted:

Not really since you'd be back in promos every two wins.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bisse posted:

Ridiculous exaggeration, but you can win 6 games in a row followed by 2 losses in your promos. Again, at that winrate it evens out over time but the point I try to make with these examples is that in that small sample, it makes someone feel cheated and frustrated and it doesn't offer a benefit to offset that as far as I'm concerned. There's no corresponding "you can lose 6 games and then win 2 and get promoted" scenario to offset that bullshit.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

I stopped stressing about intra league promos once I realized the game shoves you back into promos basically instantly. Inter league promos are freakin Bull poo poo though since they're best of 5 and deliberately match you against the next league up.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Well yeah the system is stupid and a total downgrade over just showing you your One True Skill Number that the game uses anyway. I'm not sure if the league system is designed to get people in the progression treadmill cycle or what but personally I'm more reluctant to do ranked if I'm in a series or up for one soon regardless of the fact I know it's logically pointless to treat them differently since MMR flux is constant across everything.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I stopped stressing about intra league promos once I realized the game shoves you back into promos basically instantly. Inter league promos are freakin Bull poo poo though since they're best of 5 and deliberately match you against the next league up.

It matches you based on your MMR, promos are no different from any other game. But if you look at the people you're matched against when you're improving, they all tend to be in higher leagues because their MMR is higher than the average for your current league. So again, added frustration to no benefit.

Also, and I've said this before, the end of season rewards are based on your fakey bullshit number, not your *true* number, so take all that frustration increase it by an order of magnitude as the end of season approaches.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
If I recall correctly, Lyte revealed Lee Sin players are both the most reported and also the highest reporters.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I also don't know why they implemented the promotion series mechanic into leagues. If you queue up for ranked games and you aren't a troll you are likely taking each of them seriously. There's no need to put an added emphasis on some of the games, but not all of them. I think this leads to more tilt on people in those promotion [or demotion] scenarios. Honestly they probably just create a leaderboard feel or experience for those at every elo and ended up adding promotions/demotions as a way to travel between different leaderboards as a consequence.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Debonair Braum and Leblanc would be day 1 buys for me.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

exethan posted:

I also don't know why they implemented the promotion series mechanic into leagues. If you queue up for ranked games and you aren't a troll you are likely taking each of them seriously. There's no need to put an added emphasis on some of the games, but not all of them. I think this leads to more tilt on people in those promotion [or demotion] scenarios. Honestly they probably just create a leaderboard feel or experience for those at every elo and ended up adding promotions/demotions as a way to travel between different leaderboards as a consequence.

We Had To Make Sure You Had Earned It. And By Doing the Promotions Gave You a Sense of [tt]ACCOMPLISHMENT[/TT]

It's insanely stupid, particularly for intraleague promotions. It made a LITTLE more sense for interleague when you couldn't fall out of your league, but now that you can? There's absolutely no reason for it to exist. It's not going anywhere though. They've leaned really hard into it.

Also fun fact -- you can reset after a promotion way harder than if you just lost those matches inside the promo because of the way it recalculates your "placement" based on your MMR.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 17, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Che Delilas posted:

It matches you based on your MMR, promos are no different from any other game. But if you look at the people you're matched against when you're improving, they all tend to be in higher leagues because their MMR is higher than the average for your current league. So again, added frustration to no benefit.

Also, and I've said this before, the end of season rewards are based on your fakey bullshit number, not your *true* number, so take all that frustration increase it by an order of magnitude as the end of season approaches.
I've failed my gold promos four times now. I used to be gaming with people who were in Gold III which is really ridiculous for someone trying to get into Gold V because you're arbitrarily told you're as good as these other players but you aren't numerically with them. I'm finally in promo series against players who are Silver I/Gold V but now I'm just getting trolled-out at least once per series -- either because people recognize I'm in a promo series and think it's funny to throw and troll games, or because people in Silver I/Gold V are perpetually on tilt because they think they can reach higher Elo but they're stuck spinning their wheels.

There's more stress on myself to perform every single time I fail, and it just gets harder and harder to reliably carry a game even though I'm doing every promo a week apart. The pressure of it being so close to the end of season is overwhelming, especially when there's so many extra trolls in queue who are already in Gold V, don't really plan on getting any higher, and will throw games, AFK, feed, rage, and just whatever because it doesn't matter what happens to them anymore. I was forced into playing AD Carry three games in a row and had god-awful supports which didn't help advancing either. (Supports so bad they didn't just lose the lane, the lost the game)

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We Had To Make Sure You Had Earned It. And By Doing the Promotions Gave You a Sense of [tt]ACCOMPLISHMENT[/TT]

It's insanely stupid, particularly for intraleague promotions. It made a LITTLE more sense for interleague when you couldn't fall out of your league, but now that you can? There's absolutely no reason for it to exist. It's not going anywhere though. They've leaned really hard into it.

Also fun fact -- you can reset after a promotion way harder than if you just lost those matches inside the promo because of the way it recalculates your "placement" based on your MMR.
They implemented League dropping because people would get into Gold V, Plat V, Diamond V, and players would intentionally throw and lose 20+ games in a row so they could troll people in lower elo or just stomp players in general and it made no difference on where they ended up at the end of the season. They're taking steps to fix that but not nearly enough. Dropping out of a league shouldn't be a consideration unless your win rate is below 33%

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 17, 2014

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Not getting what's so great about the pure MMR system.

Here, have a number, now make it a bigger number! Yaaay.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oh, poo poo! Blitzcrank is a golem. I always thought he was a robot.

Since we're approaching the end of Season IV, I just wanted to know if anyone knows what's in stock for the next season. I didn't play much ranked this season because overall I hated the changes. My main problem is the time investment I need to make to complete one ranked game. I think it's unreasonably long.

I feel this problem stems from Riots steps to curb snowballing. I don't think snowballing was stopped, it's just the nice wet snow that's good for snowball fights was turned into a more pristine powder that's more suited for skiing/snowboarding. The few dozen ranked games I did play, it felt like I was still making the same snowball, it was just a more tedious and time consuming process. Is this even considered an issue by Riot?

Also what's up with boob armor? Like, how do I know the chick actually has big boobs under those gargantuan spheres? I'm guessing it's the equivalent of bra stuffing in League of Legends.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Bholder posted:

Because it's not arbitary, invisible bullshit mostly.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Bholder posted:

Because if my hidden Elo were 1550 and I were in Silver I at the end of the season, I wouldn't be getting any rewards unless I had beaten arbitrary promo series. Missing gold by 10 Elo in Season 2 was a lot less painful than missing Gold by promo series two seasons in a row because at one point, my hidden Elo was much higher than what it took to be in gold before tilting on a promo series over and over the last two weeks of a season.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Because this system is that number dressed up in a bunch of retarded bullshit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Safety Scissors posted:

Oh, poo poo! Blitzcrank is a golem. I always thought he was a robot.

Since we're approaching the end of Season IV, I just wanted to know if anyone knows what's in stock for the next season. I didn't play much ranked this season because overall I hated the changes. My main problem is the time investment I need to make to complete one ranked game. I think it's unreasonably long.

I feel this problem stems from Riots steps to curb snowballing. I don't think snowballing was stopped, it's just the nice wet snow that's good for snowball fights was turned into a more pristine powder that's more suited for skiing/snowboarding. The few dozen ranked games I did play, it felt like I was still making the same snowball, it was just a more tedious and time consuming process. Is this even considered an issue by Riot?

Also what's up with boob armor? Like, how do I know the chick actually has big boobs under those gargantuan spheres? I'm guessing it's the equivalent of bra stuffing in League of Legends.
Games certainly don't snowball as hard as they used to. In Season 2 games were kinda decided in the first 15 minutes depending on how strong your jungler was. In Season 4 you're just as likely to win with 7k ahead as you are to lose.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

As far as the new Ultimate skin goes, there's been a Lux rumor for ages now, because people were unhappy with all the military skins she has and want more fun skins like Lux being a giant Meme Machine and shooting out my little ponies and kittens.

All I want is Sailor Moon Lux.

She even already has some of the voice lines!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

A Stupid Baby posted:

The reason people get tired of it is it because it turns into paragraph spamming contest with no winner because nobody is actually reading anything, including the poo poo they type out themselves, and sometimes, very rarely, around the time a patch drops there's actual discussion taking place in this thread.

But let's wait until people actually get to that point before we start flailing around like seals on coke because someone brought up the idea that maybe there should be a Ms. Kog-maw.

Well that and let us truly be honest we lost our clout with Brackhar peacing out. All we can do is post a bazillion posts nobody in Riot will see. But kudos I almost spat out my drink in my cubicle at work you loving jerk imaging Kog maw with a bow

For those that find the discussion trite just sit back and watch people say really profoundly stupid things fot a few pages and it'll go back to the norm

Ps Methanar teach me how to Bird. Not lovely blue bird. Bird Emperor

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 17, 2014

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Lots of people get real anxiety about risking points in a pure MMR system. Steeping it in a bunch of random bullshit like metal-coated League 1/2/3/4/5 system is a psychological trick to disarm those people of their anxiety and increase the overall number of ranked games that get played. Increased player pool means better match-making, means even the players who don't have any ladder anxiety benefit from better matches.

Riot has explained all this in the past. It definitely works, and they've ironed out a lot of the kinks in the system over time which promoted weird bullshit like vastly different ELO duo queues.

Most people who get frustrated with the system of games do so because they become frustrated with their own play on a certain day. When you are pulling your hair out going "drat THIS CORRUPT SYSTEM HOLDING ME DOWN" you need to just take a step away and not play ranked for awhile.

I play very limited amounts of ranked, because I only queue up when I feel like I have 110% of my mental fortitude to play an A+ game on one of my best champions AND put up with up to 3 people's psychological bullshit on my team over the course of 45 minutes. If you aren't ready to do that over and over, don't queue up for ranked. If you can't maintain zen-like calm, you will just start blowing up at teammates, throwing your own play in the dumpster, and then making GBS threads up the thread with complaints about a system that does a reasonable job squaring off millions of people into fairly balanced matches 24/7.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I have a newly 30 smurf that I wanted to get gold on before the end of the season but having high gold mmr and trying to do promos in silver is super loving annoying, esp when I only have one rune page :I

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Libertine posted:

Lots of people get real anxiety about risking points in a pure MMR system. Steeping it in a bunch of random bullshit like metal-coated League 1/2/3/4/5 system is a psychological trick to disarm those people of their anxiety and increase the overall number of ranked games that get played. Increased player pool means better match-making, means even the players who don't have any ladder anxiety benefit from better matches.

Don't see how that solves anything when it just replaces anxiety over losing your MMR with losing your LP and even greater anxiety over promo games which place arbitrary increased importance on specific games for zero reason or reward.

it's just a poo poo system and solves virtually no problem with a pure MMR system while introducing loads of other bullshit, sorry

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
LUX ULTIMATE SKIN? PLEASE RIOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

curiousCat posted:

LUX ULTIMATE SKIN? PLEASE RIOT.

the Lux ultimate skin is just her default one but the laugh is global

• Locked thread