Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Neruz posted:

I can't see Vorkken serving someone else; he strikes me as the independent type. I'm pretty sure Vorkken is on Vorkken's side and may possibly also be friends with either Immorta or the GETHJERK, but I'd be surprised if he was revealed to be serving someone other than himself.

I'm not 100% clear on what Vorkken's doing here at all. Aside from occasionally attacking the team and trying to recruit them, he hasn't seemed to do much at all, much less threaten Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Geostomp posted:

I'm not 100% clear on what Vorkken's doing here at all. Aside from occasionally attacking the team and trying to recruit them, he hasn't seemed to do much at all, much less threaten Earth.

This is just what Vorkken does on weekends. It's pure coincidence that this time it happens to be at the same time as a GEATHJERK attack.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I assume he's at least partially GEATHJERK affiliated since his crew can unite into some of their monsters, though I suppose that isn't really concrete evidence.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Geostomp posted:

He is enjoying himself, that is what Vorkken is doing here. He heard there was a fight going down on Dearth and decided to show up and see if it was worth his time, it wasn't but he found this charming little Dearth man by the name of Blunder Red and is having plenty of fun anyway!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Geostomp posted:

He'd love to tell you why he's here, but his pilot keeps running into rocks for some reason.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I love reading all you guys' predictions on this game. :allears:

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I'd love to pretend Vorken and Immorta are just form the same race but we all know that is not how that stuff works so my bet is on a) family or b) used to be in a relationship. Either way something horrible and tragic happened and now they find themselves on opposite sides of THE LAW. Its all very tragic in a way but it'll be okay they'll make up before the game is over.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

He'd love to tell you why he's here, but his pilot keeps running into rocks for some reason.

I'm pretty sure they don't have anyone on pilot duty during fights, they just toss a bag of groceries on the gas and ghost ride the whip.

Tzarnal posted:

I'd love to pretend Vorken and Immorta are just form the same race but we all know that is not how that stuff works so my bet is on a) family or b) used to be in a relationship. Either way something horrible and tragic happened and now they find themselves on opposite sides of THE LAW. Its all very tragic in a way but it'll be okay they'll make up before the game is over.

Maybe she's that lost love he's always almost telling you about. If so, five bucks says he starts in on his super long story again before she interrupts him and completes in in five sentences.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ariong posted:

Maybe she's that lost love he's always almost telling you about. If so, five bucks says he starts in on his super long story again before she interrupts him and completes in in five sentences.

Oh god yeah that's probably it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Ariong posted:

This makes a lot of sense, and I'd also be willing to bet it's probably the spoiler/pun that people alternately "I don't get it"/"Oh I get it!" about in her name.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I dunno if I get the pun, but if I get the pun, that's not it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Davinci posted:

I love reading all you guys' predictions on this game. :allears:

Same. Its honestly quite interesting to see the conclusions people come up with, and then imagine how they'll end up reacting to the actual result.

The more the game does this, the better.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is one of the very few cases where I'm intentionally not spoiling the game for myself, simply because I love how Chip and Ironicus are presenting it.

All I can say with confidence is that Vorkken and Immorta have a nearly identical appearance and ship aesthetic and that has to mean something.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Astro Nut posted:

Same. Its honestly quite interesting to see the conclusions people come up with, and then imagine how they'll end up reacting to the actual result.

The more the game does this, the better.

The game is really charming. It is, no doubt, cliché, but it is so in a way that captures your imagination and involves you in the story. For example, I think everyone loves Vorkken, and the way these stories go, we actually fear we'll have to take him down lethally; if that were to actually happen (Líbera nos, Kamyia, ab ómnibus malis) we'd share in Red's disappointment; were he to join instead, we'd celebrate together with the One Double-ohs.
It's only natural that we join the game in its fun and try and predict the next plot points.

Ariong posted:

I'm joining the bandwagon on this. I don't think the color scheme is anything but Vorkken and Immorta having the same home planet, a lady with a taste that good in spaceships can't be evil.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
If Vorkken dies it had better be in the middle of an incredible heroic sacrifice immediately after he switches sides, I cannot envision any other way his character could die without breaking the ongoing themes of HEROISM and TEAMWORK the game has running.

It's nice to occasionally just sit back and hear a 'straight' story about heroes being heroic. Proper Golden Age Comic Book Heroism done well is getting hard to come by these days.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Ariong posted:

"If it isn't the heir to the throne of the roaming Rhullo, leader of the space pirate band known as the Guyzoch, and his lost love, galactic federation police Special Weapons, Tactics & Investigation Team, sector S451219, who transferred to his class on a fateful day *DEEP BREATH* Prince Vorkken and Immorta!"

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice
Out of curiosity I looked up a blind LP so I could see someone's reactions to pretty much everything up to this point (and the end of the game, I've played it before)

It's supremely disappointing to see a blind LP where the person is so dead inside that they can't even find joy in how stupid and amazing this game gets by the end. It was all just "oh, alright", "hey, it's this guy again", "oh that's alright I guess"

YOU ARE FIGHTING A ROBOT DRAGON IN THE SKY PILOTED BY A GIANT LIZARDMAN BY MAKING FISTS OUT OF PEOPLE

SHOW SOME EMOTION

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Such people are sad and deserve pity, not anger. Their lives are grey and lacking in wonder.

The rest of us are too busy fighting a two-headed space dragon from the deck of our flying battleship with a giant glowing energy fist made out of our friends.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice
Alright so my adventures through other LPs continues, and I've actually managed to find some folks that managed to get hyped up about it (you don't think it'd be this hard, but there it is)

It's actually Matt and Pat from Two Best Friends Play. They have a video that's a bit over an hour and a half long that is their choice reactions to the ENTIRE GAME. They are actually EXPRESSING EMOTION AND IT IS GREAT. Granted, this isn't their first time playing it but it DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY ARE HYPED AS HELL.

Like it's not a full LP but it captures the basic primal kind of joy this game provides.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

PAMaster posted:

Alright so my adventures through other LPs continues, and I've actually managed to find some folks that managed to get hyped up about it (you don't think it'd be this hard, but there it is)

It's actually Matt and Pat from Two Best Friends Play. They have a video that's a bit over an hour and a half long that is their choice reactions to the ENTIRE GAME. They are actually EXPRESSING EMOTION AND IT IS GREAT. Granted, this isn't their first time playing it but it DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY ARE HYPED AS HELL.

Like it's not a full LP but it captures the basic primal kind of joy this game provides.

For context: This was coming off a series of their videos where they tried out various super hero games, only to find that - often due to the quick cash in nature of many such games - not so many of them are actually good. Then they hit the Wonderful 101 and all is well.

'You feel so good about it, you end it with an explosion punch!'

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

PAMaster posted:

Two Best Friends is bad.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Great Joe posted:

Two Best Friends is bad.

Some times you just love really bad stuff, man

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Great Joe posted:

Two Best Friends is bad.

The let's play channel is good.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

S.J. posted:

Some times you just love really bad stuff, man
The reason they call them guilty pleasures is because you're not supposed to actually admit that you watch them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Great Joe posted:

Two Best Friends is bad.

Their normal channel is pretty okay actually.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Great Joe posted:

The reason they call them guilty pleasures is because you're not supposed to actually admit that you watch them.

nah man, it's alright, they can be funny

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Of all the youtube morons hooting at videogames they are among the most generally amusing.

Coincidentally they also played through Revengeance in its entirety and that was fun.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Two Best Friends is bad.

The stuff they did for Machinima got pretty bad, but their own LPs are amazing and you're missing out if you don't watch them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Great Joe posted:

Two Best Friends is bad.

Counterpoint : Super Best Friends is good

Edit: except Liam

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I fear based on some of this speculation I may have just understood the Immorta name pun.

Spoilered Speculation :
Immorta = "Imouto", she's Vorkken's little sister! They both have blondish hair too...

That said, I hope I'm wrong because I'd much rather she be this mysterious young lady he was fawning over.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I like TBF because they don't get stuck on ridiculously obvious poo poo in the games they play, actually pay attention to the basic gameplay mechanics and utilize them properly and as stated previously, actually get legimately excited about stuff when appropriate. That being said, they still have their bouts of stupidity (such as playing through large portions of MK Shaolin Monks without bothering to upgrade their moves and when they do, not even bothering to try to use them, they also keep skipping over or not bothering to look up how to do fatalities for both characters, which is what the game expects you to use often), but they're overall much more tolerable than most other YT LP personalities.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Of all the youtube morons hooting at videogames they are among the most generally amusing.

Coincidentally they also played through Revengeance in its entirety and that was fun.

The nice thing about them is they get way into certain relatively-niche genres (primarily character-action and fighting games) and even though they're pretty self-deprecating about their skills, they really do know how to play them and get deep into the mechanics in a way most YouTube personalities and even professional game journalist-types can't be bothered or don't have the time to. They can be loud and obnoxious but that's coming out of a genuine appreciation and excitement for games, so even if they're be dense and frustrating about some things I appreciate their level of engagement.

Basically if I was going to watch an LP of a Platinum game those guys would be second to Chip as dudes I would trust to understand the mechanics, appreciate the tone, and not be boring, dull idiots about it.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 15, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Didn't they beat Armstrong on their first try? That's gotta be worth something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Opposing Farce posted:

The nice thing about them is they get way into certain relatively-niche genres (primarily character-action and fighting games) and even though they're pretty self-deprecating about their skills, they really do know how to play them and get deep into the mechanics in a way most YouTube personalities and even professional game journalist-types can't be bothered or don't have the time to. They can be loud and obnoxious but that's coming out of a genuine appreciation and excitement for games, so even if they're be dense and frustrating about some things I appreciate their level of engagement.

Basically if I was going to watch an LP of a Platinum game those guys would be second to Chip as dudes I would trust to understand the mechanics, appreciate the tone, and not be boring, dull idiots about it.

They're really into fighting games, a lot more than any other channel I can think of, which I really like to see. I'm not much into fighting games myself, unless they're Smash Bros or the PS2 Soul Caliburs, but I really like that they do get so into them and actually know a lot of the common systems.

EDIT: They had a full series of playing lovely cash-in fighting games that was great for that reason; these are two people who are actually good at fighting games, playing this garbage that nobody remembers, and actually being able to understand whether or not they're any good or not and why.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 16, 2014

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Episode 15-1: Orb Lord.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 15-2: Cube.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Man, Blue was so drat insufferable during Operation 005. They laid his stubbornness on really heavily.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

The boss fight for this chapter is one of my favorites. I can't wait for you to punch out the next episode.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dear Chip: Please post the next update early

005-B was the lowpoint for me actually of the game, nothing terribly interesting happens in it from my view and there aren't even that many wonderful ones to find. It's the only time I've ever felt like the game was "filler". That being said 005-C swung it back around so I can't stay mad at the operation.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Despite what I said earlier about the whole team having a problem, I really think it might be time for wonder-blue to hang up the mask or else have some sort of epiphany. His screwing everyone else over is becoming a regular occurrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
Give the title to Luca. He has been more useful than Blue at this point.

• Locked thread