Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
WELP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Hope ya'll already paid your bills this month!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Is the Eraserhead in stock the corrected one?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Finally they pull this poo poo on a payday for me :v:

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
It's only a good deal if you're going to buy 3 or more though. Their s&h rates are terrible, and we're not too far away from the next B&N sale.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Get back at me when the Tati set is released, Criterion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm broke and saving up for Tati.

FYI, Jour de Fete only has the color version as an old upscale instead of the higher quality BFI release.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm broke and saving up for Tati.

FYI, Jour de Fete only has the color version as an old upscale instead of the higher quality BFI release.

The BFI release from a few years ago, or the StudioCanal UK release coming out next month (but already reviewed)?

edit: I just did some research, and, unless I'm missing something, your statement is incorrect.

The older BFI BD in the UK has two versions of the film - the 1949 and the 1964 releases. Both are in 1080p.

Both the upcoming Criterion BD in the US and the upcoming StudioCanal BD in the UK have three versions - 1949, 1964, and 1994. The 1949 and 1964 versions are both in 1080p and from newer restorations than the older BFI BD. The 1994 version is upscaled in both BDs.

The conclusion being, there's no reason not to get the Criterion Tati boxset.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 9, 2014

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

robix smash posted:

It's only a good deal if you're going to buy 3 or more though. Their s&h rates are terrible, and we're not too far away from the next B&N sale.

You're absolutely right. Once you get to 3 films, $15-$16 shipping is nearly the same thing (if not cheaper) as driving over from Canada to the US to a B&N store, gas & toll, + tax on each film.

I picked up The Great Beauty, Y Tu Mama Tambien, and Eraserhead. Like everyone else, I can't wait for that Tati set.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Red posted:

Is the Eraserhead in stock the corrected one?

Criterion said on their Twitter page that it is.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
Suddenly that 6 weeks up-front severance package seems a lot more enticing than it did compared to taking a step down for the same pay v:shobon:v

Highly recommend everyone buy The Innocents in time for Halloween.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

The shipping is cheaper now to Canada (10 dollars first item 3 + extra) but last time I ordered something from them directly I got dinged with custom fees and it wasn't a deal at all anymore.

Edit: Our dollar sucks now too :(

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 10, 2014

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Safe Driver posted:

The shipping is cheaper now to Canada (10 dollars first item 3 + extra) but last time I ordered something from them directly I got dinged with custom fees and it wasn't a deal at all anymore.

Edit: Our dollar sucks now too :(

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to wait now. Hopefully that rumored cineplex deal pops up sometime soon.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to wait now. Hopefully that rumored cineplex deal pops up sometime soon.

Cineplex poo poo the bed with their store, any item that is not in stock is not listed at all anymore which is pretty much every Criterion. My shopping cart had 9 titles saved waiting on that Boxing Week sale and only The Vanishing remains ironically.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It would have been nice for this sale to have happened after I got my $10 off voucher for the Eraserhead gently caress up.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone wanna make a recommendation among these three sets?

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/89-a-film-trilogy-by-ingmar-bergman
http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/204-eisenstein-the-sound-years
http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/417-six-moral-tales

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

The BFI release from a few years ago, or the StudioCanal UK release coming out next month (but already reviewed)?

edit: I just did some research, and, unless I'm missing something, your statement is incorrect.

The older BFI BD in the UK has two versions of the film - the 1949 and the 1964 releases. Both are in 1080p.

Both the upcoming Criterion BD in the US and the upcoming StudioCanal BD in the UK have three versions - 1949, 1964, and 1994. The 1949 and 1964 versions are both in 1080p and from newer restorations than the older BFI BD. The 1994 version is upscaled in both BDs.

The conclusion being, there's no reason not to get the Criterion Tati boxset.

The BFI release had the color version in true HD. You can tell the color parts are from lenticular 35mm by the thin pattern. The SC and Criterion sets have it from the 1995 master. Not a big deal, but odd. From what it seems, the rest of the films are perfect in every possible way.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Buy the Rohmer set because Rohmer is the best. The other two sets are cool too, beautiful cinematography in those Eisenstein and Bergman films, but no one does conversations like Rohmer.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
spike is the name of the baby in Eraserhead

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Well there went a chunk on Eraserhead, The Night of the Hunter, The 39 Steps, Being John Malkovich, A Brief History of Time, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Foreign Correspondent, The Hidden Fortress, Riot in Cell Block 11, Il Sorpasso, Persona. Husbanded my B&N purchases in July only to spend to fill out that backlog now, and I've still had to punt a few to the next B&N sale... :v:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I ended up getting:

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Breaking the Waves
Eraserhead
The Game
Heaven's Gate
L'Eclisse
La Notte
Nashville
Rosemary's Baby
Two Lane Blacktop

However, I tried to combine the promo code and my two $50 gift certificates when I did this but it somehow didn't register so I'm trying to get that sorted out with Criterion.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Buy the Rohmer set because Rohmer is the best. The other two sets are cool too, beautiful cinematography in those Eisenstein and Bergman films, but no one does conversations like Rohmer.

The Rohmer it is then. Ended up going in on that, City Lights, The Double Life of Veronique, and Fishing with John.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Was roadtripping last night, so I didn't get to the sale until after The Innocents, Macbeth and Scanners were sold out. :( Still, I got Walkabout, Eraserhead, the Demy set, Sundays and Cybele, Ali Fear Eats the Soul, Y tu Mama Tambien, Tie Me Up Tie Me Down, and 8 1/2.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Picked up:

Safe
Vengeance Is Mine
America Lost and Found: The BBS Story
Bad Timing
Grey Gardens
Hearts and Minds
Pickpocket
The Innocents
Rififi

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

taser rates posted:

The Rohmer it is then. Ended up going in on that, City Lights, The Double Life of Veronique, and Fishing with John.

Oh man, Fishing with John is the best thing a girl has ever recommended me. I was so skeptical but it's hilarious, especially since the narrator is the actual narrator from 60 Minutes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

taser rates posted:

Anyone wanna make a recommendation among these three sets?

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/89-a-film-trilogy-by-ingmar-bergman

Little late, but this set of movies is amazing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#280 - THE SWORD OF DOOM (BR upgrade, Jan 6)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring film historian Stephen Prince
•Trailer
•PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien

#740 - THE BITTER TEARS OF PETRA VON KANT (BR/2-disc DVD, Jan 13)

•New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director of photography Michael Ballhaus, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•New interviews with Ballhaus and actors Margit Carstensen, Eva Mattes, Katrin Schaake, and Hanna Schygulla
•New interview with film scholar Jane Shattuc about director Rainer Werner Fassbinder and the film
•Role Play: Women on Fassbinder, a 1992 German television documentary by Thomas Honickel featuring interviews with Carstensen, Schygulla, and actors Irm Hermann and Rosel Zech
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: An essay by critic Peter Matthews

#741 - MY WINNIPEG (BR/DVD, Jan 20)

• New high-definition digital restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Conversation between director Guy Maddin and art critic Robert Enright
• “My Winnipeg” Live in Toronto, a 2008 featurette
• Various cine-essays by Maddin on Winnipegiana
• Three Maddin shorts, with introductions by the director: Spanky: To the Pier and Back (2008), Sinclair (2010), and Only Dream Things (2012)
• Deleted scene
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by critic Wayne Koestenbaum

#742 - THE PALM BEACH STORY (BR/DVD, Jan 20)

•New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•New interview with writer and film historian James Harvey about director Preston Sturges
•New interview with actor and comedian Bill Hader about Sturges
•Safeguarding Military Information, a 1942 World War II propaganda short written by Sturges
•Screen Guild Theater radio adaptation of the film from March 1943
•PLUS: An essay by critic Stephanie Zacharek

#743 - LA CIENAGA (BR/DVD, Jan 27)

•New 4K digital film transfer, approved by director Lucrecia Martel, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•New interview with filmmaker Andrés di Tella about Martel and the film
•Trailer
•New English subtitle translation
•More!
•PLUS: An essay by critic David Oubiña

My take: every single one of these is a "like but not love" title for me, so I'll be saving some money in January. My Winnipeg is my favorite of the lot, I'll probably rent it to check out the extras.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
My Winnepeg BRD, oh lord I'm so excited. :getin:

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Man, The Palm Beach Story is great. Hopefully they upgrade Unfaithfully Yours and the other Sturgeses soon, I've come so close to dropping money on them so many times.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I'm a huge Sturges fan, and they did a tremendous job on Sullivan's Travels, so I'm very looking forward to Palm Beach Story.

Hell, I'd love as many Sturges upgrades and releases as they could manage. Miracle of Morgan's Creek is one of the funniest comedies I've ever seen, and probably his second-best-well-known film, and I think even the bare-bones poo poo release from another company it got a decade ago is out-of-print.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Best month in a long time (e. but still samey and unsurprising i don't know)

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Is Criterion planning on putting out a cover book, given their recent 'October surprise' post on facebook?

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 16, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Apparently, it seems like something that'll be fun to flip through at the bookstore, though I really wish they'd just let us buy posters of the covers.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
I'm ridiculously excited for Sword of Doom blu. Completely indifferent about the others though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Here's my review of Eraserhead, the first Lynch anything I've seen:

The gently caress.

This movie is going to stick with me for a while; highly recommended.

The calibration feature on the blu-ray is really nice as well, it's a great looking film.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Cloks posted:

Here's my review of Eraserhead, the first Lynch anything I've seen:

The gently caress.

I wish I could go back in time and watch Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire again for the first time. The situation with him on Blu-Ray in America is pretty interesting in that there's a lot of notable material not on the format at all, but what is out is absolutely pristine and packed with meaningful extras (well, aside from Dune, but that's an outlier in his career in general).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

sethsez posted:

I wish I could go back in time and watch Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire again for the first time. The situation with him on Blu-Ray in America is pretty interesting in that there's a lot of notable material not on the format at all, but what is out is absolutely pristine and packed with meaningful extras (well, aside from Dune, but that's an outlier in his career in general).

I'm really excited to watch more of his work; I'll probably move on to Twin Peaks next.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I recommend watching Blue Velvet before tackling Twin Peaks. It transitions very nicely into it, and is a kind of precursor to Twin Peaks anyways in the same way that The American President is a kind of prototype for The West Wing.

Lynch is a pretty fun filmmaker with a great track record. He only has one legitimately terrible film as far as I'm concerned, and it isn't Dune.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Raxivace posted:

I recommend watching Blue Velvet before tackling Twin Peaks. It transitions very nicely into it, and is a kind of precursor to Twin Peaks anyways in the same way that The American President is a kind of prototype for The West Wing.

Lynch is a pretty fun filmmaker with a great track record. He only has one legitimately terrible film as far as I'm concerned, and it isn't Dune.

Yep and

quote:

MacLachlan has stated that he views Cooper as an older version of his character in Blue Velvet, a previous David Lynch collaboration. "I see my character as Jeffrey Beaumont grown up. Instead of being acted upon, he has command on the world

What is the legitimately terrible film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

INLAND EMPIRE. I usually like Lynch's weird surreal worlds but that film felt like a rather boring take on the same concept explored in Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr., and at 3 hours in length it just felt tedious to get through.

I will say that I've never seen anything else quite like it, for what it's worth.

EDIT: I think part of my dislike of it also has to do with it being Lynch's last film. It felt like a sour note to end his career on as a filmmaker... Luckily he's pulling a Kubrick and is doing another season of Twin Peaks.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 18, 2014