Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I can't speak for all of those but Breeze looks like it polls the M8 on launch. It never has that data right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It doesn't need to have a bad ESN to work as an iPod Touch. Buy someone's old 5C who upgraded to the 6. You'll pay like $200 and have a fully functional device.

True enough. I don't need a fully functional device but as long as it won't freak out with no SIM card in it, it's an option.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Just setup my 6 last night, and I keep getting password prompts for my gmail account when I use my calendar or open the Mail app (I use the gmail app for mail, which is acting fine). And so I put in my password...and keep getting told it's incorrect. I'm pasting it straight from LastPass, what's the deal?

Also, any new and exciting case options for the 6? Been checking out Spigen, anybody have any complaints against them?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

jackpot posted:

Just setup my 6 last night, and I keep getting password prompts for my gmail account when I use my calendar or open the Mail app (I use the gmail app for mail, which is acting fine). And so I put in my password...and keep getting told it's incorrect. I'm pasting it straight from LastPass, what's the deal?

Also, any new and exciting case options for the 6? Been checking out Spigen, anybody have any complaints against them?

Do you have two-factor authentication on your GMail? Do you have to use one of those app-specific Gmail codes instead of a password? I vaguely remember having to do something like that when I set mine up.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having a weird issue with my (Verizon) 6, which just arrived on Tuesday. My data and calling works just fine; however I get a pop up every few minutes telling me the phone needs to be activated. I've restored multiple times in multiple ways and the issue has continued. Verizon shows the phone as activated.

If I restart the phone, it says I have no service, but I can still call and text. Once I connect Wifi everything then works normally, except for the periodic activation message.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Have you tried popping the SIM out and the in again? Make sure it's seated correctly.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Have you tried popping the SIM out and the in again? Make sure it's seated correctly.

Yep, no dice. It gave me the insert SIM card message right away when I popped it out and everything came back in seconds when I popped it back in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Either the SIM card is bad or the phone is bad. In either case, if you have an Apple store nearby, I'd suggest getting it looked at. If not, go to a Verizon store and get a new SIM and start there.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's what I figured. Couldn't find anything about it being a known iOS bug.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there any way to buff out extremely superficial scratches in the screen of the iPhone 6?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So Im playing clash of clans in landscape on my proper sized iphone and all of a sudden :psyduck:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

horse mans posted:

Is there any way to buff out extremely superficial scratches in the screen of the iPhone 6?
That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

horse mans posted:

Steel Wool, naturally.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Nah but if you hold it at a 68° angle under a 150w light with the screen off and then squint your eyes really hard you can kind of see some shiny "lines" which I assume are scratches. There's at least 3 of them that I can see.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holding it wrong.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Nah but if you hold it at a 68° angle under a 150w light with the screen off and then squint your eyes really hard you can kind of see some shiny "lines" which I assume are scratches. There's at least 3 of them that I can see.

that's literally exactly what my problem is. and it's gonna drive me up a loving wall

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Calm down all, it doesn't matter.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

horse mans posted:

Peel off and replace your screen protector.

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007
Anyone having issues on their phones with upside down photos? My iphone 6 when I take a photo it turns out upside down....

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

blugu64 posted:

Peel off and replace your screen protector.

Holy poo poo Apple should just make screens like post it notes. Scratch it? Peel off top layer.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

jackpot posted:

I'm using the silver tough armor case and have been happy with it so far. I had basically the same case on my 5 and liked it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Do you have two-factor authentication on your GMail?
Ah, I'll bet that's it.

I have two old chargers from my 4s, and they appear to be identical - 100-240v, 50/60hz, output 5v - can I assume they're safe to use?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jackpot posted:

Ah, I'll bet that's it.

I have two old chargers from my 4s, and they appear to be identical - 100-240v, 50/60hz, output 5v - can I assume they're safe to use?
They're the exact same chargers that come with the 6 (and 6+?).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

They're the exact same chargers that come with the 6 (and 6+?).

How long have they been shipping those? I think I remember the first iPhone having a larger, iPad-like wall wart, but I only started owning iPhones with the 5 and the iPod touch only came with a cable.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

jackpot posted:

Ah, I'll bet that's it.

Use this to generate an app-specific password for your phone

movax
Aug 30, 2008

carry on then posted:

How long have they been shipping those? I think I remember the first iPhone having a larger, iPad-like wall wart, but I only started owning iPhones with the 5 and the iPod touch only came with a cable.

I think all the iPhones have been coming with the non-retractable mini white block style AC Adapter for awhile now. You only get the MacBook style one with retractable/flippy prongs with the iPad at this point I think.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The first one had the iPad-style (or the iPad has a 1G iPhone style, really) plug, as seen here (4th image) http://arstechnica.com/apple/2007/07/iphone-review/

I was curious when exactly they switched over.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have an iPhone 6 and a Mac Air '13 with Yosemite.

Does Handoffs only work when both screens are on? It sounded like a cool feature, but if they both have to stay on it just seems limited.

Example: On safari with my iPhone, place iPhone down, lock it (habit, i always do that), grab mac to switch to that. Nothing. Turn on the iPhone screen and the link pops up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Duckman2008 posted:

I have an iPhone 6 and a Mac Air '13 with Yosemite.

Does Handoffs only work when both screens are on? It sounded like a cool feature, but if they both have to stay on it just seems limited.

Example: On safari with my iPhone, place iPhone down, lock it (habit, i always do that), grab mac to switch to that. Nothing. Turn on the iPhone screen and the link pops up.

You can still access most of that stuff if it's not popping up with Hand-off. Your iCloud tabs thingy in safari should show the open tabs on your iPhone. If you have a document started in Pages, it will be there on the other devices.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dorkimoe posted:

Anyone having issues on their phones with upside down photos? My iphone 6 when I take a photo it turns out upside down....
Yeah my brother in law had that, someone else in the thread earlier too, orientation is buggy it seems. Try killing the camera app, if that doesn't work a restart should do it.

Feenix posted:

Holy poo poo Apple should just make screens like post it notes. Scratch it? Peel off top layer.
If it's good enough for race car windshields and helmet visors it's good enough for us.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

carry on then posted:

The first one had the iPad-style (or the iPad has a 1G iPhone style, really) plug, as seen here (4th image) http://arstechnica.com/apple/2007/07/iphone-review/

With the 3g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54XdfqH69o&t=91s

Edit: found this in a backgrounded link while looking for that. 9 years ago that was a product people thought would be the future.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 18, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

carry on then posted:

My iPhone 3G came with the same style charging block as my 6. So, since the second phone?

The 12w iPad block definitely charges my 6 faster though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The 3G charger also is the one that had the hosed up prongs that were subject to a recall because they might break off in a socket. They marked "safe" post-recall ones with the green dot on one corner. So now of course, any completely fake, knockoff charger includes a green dot.

I ordered a Chinese knockoff USB charge cable for my Fitbit Flex and it came with a USB power plug that looked like the Apple cube style, only black. They made sure to put that green dot on there as if it were some official seal guaranteeing it won't burn down your house.

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007

japtor posted:

Yeah my brother in law had that, someone else in the thread earlier too, orientation is buggy it seems. Try killing the camera app, if that doesn't work a restart should do it.

If it's good enough for race car windshields and helmet visors it's good enough for us.

I can get it fixed, but it doesnt stay. The next time I try and take a photo it goes back :(. I guess I'll just wait and hope they patch it

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

So I ordered my 6+ 64gb on the 14th with an expected shipping wait of 28-35 days, and proceeded today, along with another member of my mobile share plan, to diverge into our own new mobile share plan. I was informed that the transfer was successful which came as good news to me because, as the AT&T rep pointed out, that would not have been possible if my new phone had not yet shipped.

Back order be damned, bring on my assuredly bendy phone.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
They don't bend any more than any other device you put too much pressure on.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

But that one video on the Internet of that one guy putting unreasonable amounts of pressure on the weakest structural point on the incredibly thin device made of non-fictional materials showed me that my phone will both arrive bent and be a jello-like consistency merely due to its proximity to the pocket of my tighter-than-skin jorts.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Amber Alert posted:

But that one video on the Internet of that one guy putting unreasonable amounts of pressure on the weakest structural point on the incredibly thin device made of non-fictional materials showed me that my phone will both arrive bent and be a jello-like consistency merely due to its proximity to the pocket of my tighter-than-skin jorts.
That's what this stand is for

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes, there is a design flaw, and you bet your rear end Apple will be guarding against it in the next revision. No, you don't need to freak out over it, just don't sit on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Has anyone purchased an aftermarket 2.4a charger for their iPhone 6/6+ that seems to be reliable/quality?