Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Dominic White posted:

And here I am absolutely loving it. It's pure Mikami. Resident Evil 4 remade for 2014, pretty much, but that's cool with me. It's much tighter than RE4 - the enemies are always threatening, and ammo/health is always very scarce. It's an action horror game but never falls into the Dead Space pitfall of making the player an unstoppable god of destruction.

It helps that the setting is basically Silent Hill + Hellraiser 2. Lets them mess with the player a lot more.

I don't get the comparisons to RE4. I always had plenty of ammo in that game where as The Evil Within you seem to not have enough ammo to fight through most situations. (This is just from watching streams of it, at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dominic White posted:

And here I am absolutely loving it. It's pure Mikami. Resident Evil 4 remade for 2014, pretty much, but that's cool with me. It's much tighter than RE4 - the enemies are always threatening, and ammo/health is always very scarce. It's an action horror game but never falls into the Dead Space pitfall of making the player an unstoppable god of destruction.

It helps that the setting is basically Silent Hill + Hellraiser 2. Lets them mess with the player a lot more.

The issues are all endgame focused, and they are quite bad. Like around halfway through it completely drops all the RE4 pretenses and becomes a really bad RE6 ( coming from someone who enjoyed RE6! ).

I mean it'll be worth it when it goes on sale, but I'm not sure $60 for 4-5 hours of new RE4 is worth it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Xeras posted:

I don't get the comparisons to RE4. I always had plenty of ammo in that game where as The Evil Within you seem to not have enough ammo to fight through most situations. (This is just from watching streams of it, at least)

I always seem to have just enough. Ammo drops are very tightly controlled. I'm maybe closing in on halfway through and it feels kinda like the initial village battle (y'know, with the chainsaw guy chasing you and eveyr shot counting) from RE4 extended into a full game.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

CJacobs posted:

Question: Are there still big spiders in Grimrock 2?

Actually, better question: Is there a lot of reused content in it or is it basically totally standalone?

Question Answer: Yes.

Better Question Answer: You can go outside. That's my answer. :colbert:

(Real answer: I'd say that compared to Grimrock I, Grimrock is about 3 times more content (outside environments / assets / monsters / levels) and I haven't beat it yet. )

Malek fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 18, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mootallica posted:

Admittitedly I haven't puchased anything from them since 2013 - but it used to work flawlessly with a fake address and the same CC I'm using now. I did read somewhere though that anything involving 2K is a lot more stringent with its checks - so I guess it just caries of my belief of "gently caress 2K you worthless cunts".

Hope not, because I had intentions of buying it from Amazon. :sigh:

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
So now this is the time to finally get XCOM. Should I get XCOM: EU + THe Bureau or the complete collection?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Malek posted:

Question Answer: Yes.

Better Question Answer: You can go outside. That's my answer. :colbert:

(Real answer: I'd say that compared to Grimrock I, Grimrock is about 3 times more content (outside environments / assets / monsters / levels) and I haven't beat it yet. )

Sweet, I'll probably pick it up sometime then.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

noELrunes posted:

So now this is the time to finally get XCOM. Should I get XCOM: EU + THe Bureau or the complete collection?

Complete collection. The Bureau is very skippable, but Enemy Within is not.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

noELrunes posted:

They're two very different games. If you want XCOM the way it's super loving great, get the one that gives you enemy within. If you're a crazy person you'll get the one that doesn't include enemy within.

That said, as a completely separate game , Bureau is a really nicely done strategy thirdfirst person shooter. The best of those are something along the lines of a Rainbow Six game, but Bureau is actually very good for what it gives you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

New DLC for Secret of the Magic Crystals

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

After completing the coloring book DLC challenge, Jivjov gifted me this too. I'm at a loss for words...

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Are horse hats tradeable on the Steam marketplace?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

It is literally named "Dress Up", day one purchase.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

noELrunes posted:

Also I feel it's good to point out that if you vote in that silly Golden Joystick Awards thing, you should still be able to get X-Com for free and an 80% off coupon for the expansion.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I played the demo for The Stanley Parable and I laughed so loving hard at EIGHT I'm almost embarrassed. I ended up buying the game and playing it for about two hours straight and it was amazing.

I got the 8888888888888888 and 430 achievements. :allears:

Niggurath posted:

Also I feel it's good to point out that if you vote in that silly Golden Joystick Awards thing, you should still be able to get X-Com for free and an 80% off coupon for the expansion.

I voted in the awards but I don't understand where I'm supposed to get my voucher. I just want EW dammit! :argh:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Just got Grid 2 on the free weekend, and holy poo poo, this game looks stunning. I've played a couple races, and it seems like the perfect mix of sim/arcade that Project Gotham Racing (RIP) used to represent. The menus are as good as Codemasters have ever done (and has probably the least annoying weird narrators/driving coaches ever). Not sure why this game didn't take off, other than Codemasters being idiots and marketing it as a sim, I guess, judging by the angry reviews from driving grognards.

Is there a catch? I probably won't have much time to play tomorrow before the free time expires, so I'm really tempted to drop $7.50 while it's on sale.

(I do wish it had cockpit mode, though, that was the best part of PGR and Grid 1 :()

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't played a racing game since Mariokart DD on the Gamecube (unless Trials counts) and I am almost done downloading Grid 2 for the hell of it. I have no idea what I will think of it honestly. Maybe I will keep checking the rear-view mirror for blue shells.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Niggurath posted:

I went through the vote, too, so I could give the game to some rando on my friend list but never got anything from it. No code, no nothing.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

abraham linksys posted:

Just got Grid 2 on the free weekend, and holy poo poo, this game looks stunning. I've played a couple races, and it seems like the perfect mix of sim/arcade that Project Gotham Racing (RIP) used to represent. The menus are as good as Codemasters have ever done (and has probably the least annoying weird narrators/driving coaches ever). Not sure why this game didn't take off, other than Codemasters being idiots and marketing it as a sim, I guess, judging by the angry reviews from driving grognards.

Is there a catch? I probably won't have much time to play tomorrow before the free time expires, so I'm really tempted to drop $7.50 while it's on sale.

(I do wish it had cockpit mode, though, that was the best part of PGR and Grid 1 :()

The catch for me was that the multiplayer apparently uses your Steam region for matchmaking which, coupled with its lack of popularity, meant it was 100% dead every time I tried to play it. It's a shame because the single player has a (for my taste) pretty basic gameplay loop of race tournaments, get new cars, race new tournaments. The multiplayer is the mode that has all sorts of progressive performance upgrades and a levelling system.

Is it a solid racer worth the asking price? Absolutely.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Kaubocks posted:

I played the demo for The Stanley Parable and I laughed so loving hard at EIGHT I'm almost embarrassed. I ended up buying the game and playing it for about two hours straight and it was amazing.

Thanks a lot, jerk, you made me break my "No video game purchases until next week" rule so I can get this game. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY :arghfist::qq:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So in Abyss Odyssey, what exactly does mana do? It isn't used for special moves. This game doesn't explain any of its systems to you.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

So in Abyss Odyssey, what exactly does mana do? It isn't used for special moves. This game doesn't explain any of its systems to you.
The mana bar is for your special ability that lets you take on the form of an enemy. When the bar is full, then you can perform a special attack (using a combination of both attack buttons) to throw out a slow but powerful projectile and any enemy the projectile hits can allow you to get the enemy's soul if they are on the same relative level as you. So if you're too low level then you can't just immediately get a boss soul.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Niggurath posted:

The mana bar is for your special ability that lets you take on the form of an enemy. When the bar is full, then you can perform a special attack (using a combination of both attack buttons) to throw out a slow but powerful projectile and any enemy the projectile hits can allow you to get the enemy's soul if they are on the same relative level as you. So if you're too low level then you can't just immediately get a boss soul.

I've played as enemies by buying them from shops before, but they seem like a bad idea because their moves are a bit worse than my normal ones. Am I just not to the good ones yet, I guess?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've played as enemies by buying them from shops before, but they seem like a bad idea because their moves are a bit worse than my normal ones. Am I just not to the good ones yet, I guess?
Yeah, the enemies you can play as can either be utter poo poo or pretty good. Like the early plant giants are great, they're reasonably low level and their specials do massively damage and they have a big health pool. Pretty much every enemy you can play as can be practiced in the training section of the game and it's a good way to get a feel for each one. But yeah, if you were wanting to get more enemies added to the purchaseable list then you have to start capturing them (or going to the '?' marked floors as those will give you the ability to automatically get a random enemy soul).

I fully agree though that there are quite a few poorly explained mechanics, but the Abyss Odyssey thread is still open and has some useful information.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, the enemies you can play as can either be utter poo poo or pretty good. Like the early plant giants are great, they're reasonably low level and their specials do massively damage and they have a big health pool. Pretty much every enemy you can play as can be practiced in the training section of the game and it's a good way to get a feel for each one. But yeah, if you were wanting to get more enemies added to the purchaseable list then you have to start capturing them (or going to the '?' marked floors as those will give you the ability to automatically get a random enemy soul).

I fully agree though that there are quite a few poorly explained mechanics, but the Abyss Odyssey thread is still open and has some useful information.

Do enemy souls have their own health? I figured if I was taking damage while playing as them, it was killing me.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Do enemy souls have their own health? I figured if I was taking damage while playing as them, it was killing me.
Yeah, they are basically extra lives. They are completely separate from your own health bar and thus you can pick up a big, tanky enemy soul and be set for quite a bit. Or you can get a high damage enemy soul like the merchant and be set for a while. And even before all that you'll want to max out base abilities and unlock the third character, who's a mermaid or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yaws posted:

I should have read this thread before purchasing The Evil Within.

$60 down the drain
You should have gotten Alien: Isolation. The bound-to-suck tie-in franchise turned out to be pretty great.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man now I really want a Dishonored-esque Predator game.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I've found that people who are upset with Stanley Parable are generally taking it entirely too seriously and trying to find some deeper meaning hidden within a string of snarky meta-narration and ridicule. It pokes equal parts fun at you, itself, and other people, all in a style that to me seems to be channeling a more brash Douglas Adams, while taking full advantage of the interactive presentation to make its humor work and give you a surprising amount of things to unearth. The humor may fall flat for you personally but if you think there is any sort of genuine air of smugness about it then you have literally missed the entire point.

In other news, I finally booted up Arkham City again. I never got too far in it, last time I played was before the Steamworks patch and my new graphics card, and I come back to find my save files are gone (Steamworks patch I'm guessing)... and my 360 controller flatly refuses to be detected by the game now, where it worked just fine before. The gently caress?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I also want to add that people who complained about Alien AI being unpredictable were simply worng. It really adds to the atmosphere that it doesn't have set patrol paths and decides to run from one place to another on a whim. This makes it feel more animalistic and real.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Did Black Mesa source become 100% finished yet?

I'm not sure if adding the last area is still intended but it's not worth playing either way in my opinion. They completely hosed up everything with the soldier enemies, and so the difficulty curve is basically a horizontal line with straight vertical spikes anytime they appear. They force you to slowly f5-f9 your way through every encounter with them, memorizing where they are after multiple quickloads and popping out of cover to hit them with your precious tenth of a second before they all aimbot you to death. I was incredibly disappointed because everything up to them felt like it really brought half life up to modern standards, then it became aimbot whack-a-mole.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Why would you complain about it in the first place? Or are people really that upset at the incredibly violent and vile defeat every five minutes?

I guess getting... penetrated, then ripped to shreds is more jarring in first person. Maybe it's just amusing when it happens in third person to a silent protagonist A-la Dead Space. I haven't played the game yet and DS1 offended me. It was almost like the death animations are an extension of the dev's sadism, and the way the necromorphs growl at the camera most of the time afterwards makes it even more personal.

Sounds crazy, but again, look at the dev diaries for DS1. The devs get engorged describing the death anims.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 18, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks Assassins Creed Brotherhood, yes I would like to sit through 15 minutes of unskippable credits before getting to play/save post-game Ezio, thanks ubisoft. thanks

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Thanks Assassins Creed Brotherhood, yes I would like to sit through 15 minutes of unskippable credits before getting to play/save post-game Ezio, thanks ubisoft. thanks

This is why you play either AC2 or Black Flag.

I hope to christ Alien goes on sale soon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm not sure if adding the last area is still intended but it's not worth playing either way in my opinion. They completely hosed up everything with the soldier enemies, and so the difficulty curve is basically a horizontal line with straight vertical spikes anytime they appear. They force you to slowly f5-f9 your way through every encounter with them, memorizing where they are after multiple quickloads and popping out of cover to hit them with your precious tenth of a second before they all aimbot you to death. I was incredibly disappointed because everything up to them felt like it really brought half life up to modern standards, then it became aimbot whack-a-mole.

Either they patched the soldiers at some point or there were some dead simple console tweaks that someone figured out to fix their bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NeoSeeker posted:

Why would you complain about it in the first place? Or are people really that upset at the incredibly violent and vile defeat every five minutes?

I guess getting... penetrated, then ripped to shreds is more jarring in first person. Maybe it's just amusing when it happens in third person to a silent protagonist A-la Dead Space. I haven't played the game yet and DS1 offended me. It was almost like the death animations are an extension of the dev's sadism, and the way the necromorphs growl at the camera most of the time afterwards makes it even more personal.

Sounds crazy, but again, look at the dev diaries for DS1. The devs get engorged describing the death anims.

You sound like the same kind of person that genuinely thinks the new Tomb Raider game is some kind of fetish thing.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 18, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

NeoSeeker posted:

I think people are used to the usual stealth game AI where the idea is to find a tiny opening between various patrol routes instead of for the enemies to act natural. This makes them frustrated. It's worth mentioning that androids do have set patrol routes which fits their function and this shows that the devs made Alien unpredictable on purpose.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

CJacobs posted:

You sound like the same kind of person that genuinely thinks the new Tomb Raider game is some kind of fetish thing.

Don't judge it as if I'm looking at it in a black and white manner. The rest of the game is peachy, what I'm describing is a subtone some disturbed developer kept pushing for and the rest caved in.

I've seen the death animations for the new tomb raider. You can't deny there isn't a bit of pure sadism in there. What point is there in watching the player character (an extension of the player by the way) getting spiked through the skull and by some miracle grasping for life even though there's a branch going straight through the center of their brain.

At the very least it's way too sensationalized. Sure it's neat to see what actually happens when you fail, but there's a point where you can't help but think a little part of it is just fuckin creepy.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 18, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NeoSeeker posted:

Don't judge it as if I'm looking at it in a black and white manner. The rest of the game is peachy, what I'm describing is a subtone some disturbed developer kept pushing for and the rest caved in.

I've seen the death animations for the new tomb raider. You can't deny there isn't a bit of pure sadism in there.

Tomb Raider was just an example and I do agree that they take the "let's beat up Lara Croft to make her a badass" thing a little too far. I just don't agree with you on Dead Space. The point of it, as a near-launch-title for PS3, was to demonstrate the level of realism the PS3 was capable of by making things be as realistic as possible even up to the last few seconds before the screen fades out and it reloads from the last checkpoint. One of Dead Space's touting points is that it doesn't beat around the bush with cutting away from the gory deaths because the developers made sure to tune things so that if you died in the game, it was your fault, and they took steps to preserve your immersion in it even in death.

The very core of the game revolves around the dismembering of enemies, making the deaths as prolonged as possible because unlike other shooter games, going right for the head does not work. It makes total sense for them to impose that same brutal nature on the player because removing that would make it disingenuous. Does that mean the developers are SUPER DUPER EXCITED ABOUT GORE AND DEATH AND KILLING? No, because they're video game developers and that is a mechanic in the game they made.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

As I said before, I agree it adds to the oppressive nature. But, again, it goes too far some times. Maybe I'm creeped out by that dev log I saw a bit too much. I really need to find that video. The guy gets way WAY too excited about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIdkR85kpKs Not the video I was talking about, but skip to the last death. You gotta admit, someone had a bad childhood.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 18, 2014

• Locked thread