Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On this week's HIGNFY... did anyone explain to Nick Hewer that he wasn't actually doing Countdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

gorki posted:

I ask because I have seen a couple of episodes in recent series where he has not really been in his chaser persona and was just being plain rude to the contestants. Made it kind of unpleasant to watch. Also he seems to have a temper on him at the best of times :ohdear:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/chase-star-mark-beast-labbett-4421923

quote:

TV quiz genius Mark “The Beast” Labbett today got married to a girl - half his age.

Former teacher Mark, who appears on ITV’s The Chase with Bradley Walsh, tied the knot with Katie Labbett, 22.

The couple are believed to be second cousins, due to the fact their fathers being first cousins.

Katie announced the news to her friends on Facebook by updating her status on Friday saying: “So... I’m getting married... TOMORROW!!! Feeling in love.”

In earlier posts, she says of Mark: “He’s my cousin and the chaser on ‘the chase’.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/chase-star-mark-beast-labbett-4421923#ixzz3G0OCD3tB
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

They don't call him The Beast for nothing.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I came here to post this link with the header "beast by name, beast by nature"

Im a little upset.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

onoflalks posted:

Bit disappointed there was nothing about the Demon Headmaster or The Queen's Nose tbh

Even without them, that looked like a good exhibition

A few years back I was laid up with tonsillitis and binged Demon Headmaster.

That loving Octopus is still terrifying, even as an adult.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

A few years back I was laid up with tonsillitis and binged Demon Headmaster.

That loving Octopus is still terrifying, even as an adult.

Meeting Gillian Cross and having her sign my copy of the Demon Headmaster was, as a 10 year old, easily the highlight of my term.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Red Oktober posted:

Meeting Gillian Cross and having her sign my copy of the Demon Headmaster was, as a 10 year old, easily the highlight of my term.

Ive just written "Neeeerrrdddd" in my notes.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Are there any good nature docs coming up this autumn? Really enjoyed Wild China

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

justcola posted:

I think that The Sooty Show is one of the greatest comedies the UK has produced and I'm not even being ironic, not one jot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9IY0OKTs0
Theres a clip of Sweep attempting to sing Nessun Dorma in my bookmarks thats my go-to video when I need to be cheered up. I loving love Sooty.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

The Big Taff Man posted:

That poo poo was scary. Dont you think in tone and theme though it was kindof a kids version of The Midwich Cuckoos?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Burqa King posted:

Are there any good nature docs coming up this autumn? Really enjoyed Wild China

Wonders of the Monsoon is on atm. 1st episode was great had some mental weather footage if you're into that (I am). Also a new Attenborough joint is coming soon.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
The thing about wild China is I always wanted to watch another episode half an hour later

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Did you actually watch Wild China or was that all a setup, please let me know, I want to believe.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Seaside Loafer posted:

That poo poo was scary. Dont you think in tone and theme though it was kindof a kids version of The Midwich Cuckoos?

Speaking of scary kids TV shows - do you remember Dark Season and Century Falls? Early Russell T Davies stuff.

My sister was terrified of this guy:

but I was terrified by the opening sequence of Moondial, so I can hardly judge. :shrug:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doubtful Guest posted:

Speaking of scary kids TV shows - do you remember Dark Season and Century Falls? Early Russell T Davies stuff.

but I was terrified by the opening sequence of Moondial, so I can hardly judge. :shrug:
What was that show with the kid who sold his laugh?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What was that show with the kid who sold his laugh?
The Legend of Tim Tyler

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Doubtful Guest posted:

Century Falls is legitimately great kids TV. Speaking of kids TV, did anyone watch Jeopardy? A bunch of high school kids go to the Outback and it's really creepy like a horror movie then there's aliens and poo poo goes insane. It was really good (until the lame ending)

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

Did you actually watch Wild China or was that all a setup, please let me know, I want to believe.

when I get home from work I head straight for WC

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Big Taff Man posted:

Worth it.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

Blue Star Error posted:

Wonders of the Monsoon is on atm. 1st episode was great had some mental weather footage if you're into that (I am). Also a new Attenborough joint is coming soon.
I watched the 1st and 2nd episodes of Wonders of the Monsoon on Sunday night and agree it was great. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the 10 minutes about how they filmed the content that now seems to be a mandatory part of all BBC nature documentaries though; sometimes they're interesting but mostly I'd rather just have an extra 10 minutes of content, I think.

BBC4 had a documentary about the Russian side of the space race last night which was really good: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04lcxms.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

radioaktivitat posted:

I watched the 1st and 2nd episodes of Wonders of the Monsoon on Sunday night and agree it was great. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the 10 minutes about how they filmed the content that now seems to be a mandatory part of all BBC nature documentaries though; sometimes they're interesting but mostly I'd rather just have an extra 10 minutes of content, I think.

I think it's because they sell them worldwide including on bbc America where they show adverts. They edit the main show so it's an hour with breaks.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Doubtful Guest posted:

Hell yes. Dark Season was hosed up. Really riding the line. The second series had some weird homosexual undertones. It was great.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

gorki posted:

Please do elaborate :allears:

He's very caustic and unpleasant, and barks non-stop at the runners and things like some kind of petty tyrant. No please or thank you or any of that. He also threw a paddy about climbing the little scaffold thing that leads up to the Chaser's platform, insisting they bring him ladders and whatnot, and got dead stroppy about people eating cake because he was on a diet. He went apeshit when the slightly nervous old woman on our team kept flubbing a line, and insulted one of the other contestants quite gratuitously, off-camera, without any stimulus I could see.

I went out on the pish with one of the production folks after filming, and while gossip is pretty much worthless, this dude reckoned that the other 3 Chasers are lovely and a great laugh off-camera, but The Beast is a loving tonker. They all hate him, and deliberately gently caress with his stuff because it drives him radge.

Bradley Walsh brought in a card and some flowers for the cleaning lady cause it was her birthday, and got genuinely upset and emotional when he flubbed a question because "mate it's poo poo when somebody puts you off like that" and insisted that they let the dude go again from the start. Well nice bloke. And he smells lovely.

ANYWAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xc5iVxP2R0

Joanna Clifton is an insanely faced pixie murderess, Scott Mills is a gigantic spasming crab. This is all I could ever ask for in life. gently caress Donny Osmond.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 15, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That sucks dude, unfortunately that attitude's probably why he got picked to do the American version of the show instead of Shaun, Paul or Anne.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Anyone watch The Code, on BBC4/iplayer? It's an Aussie political/crime thing, and it's pretty good. Formulaic but watchable.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Anyone watch The Code, on BBC4/iplayer? It's an Aussie political/crime thing, and it's pretty good. Formulaic but watchable.

I watched it, purely because I'll watch any foreign import drama that BBC4 shows in the Borgen/Killing/Montalbano slot of 9pm Saturday.

It was okay, yeah, I liked the journalist, and the PR lady was appropriately slimy. Could have done without the autistic hacker brother being so...stereotypically mannered and exaggerated though.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Irisi posted:

I watched it, purely because I'll watch any foreign import drama that BBC4 shows in the Borgen/Killing/Montalbano slot of 9pm Saturday.

It was okay, yeah, I liked the journalist, and the PR lady was appropriately slimy. Could have done without the autistic hacker brother being so...stereotypically mannered and exaggerated though.

yeah the performance isn't great from the lad playing the hacker but it's not a particularly well written part, either. I doubt it would be anywhere near BBC four if it were made on these shores, but I quite enjoyed it.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Discussing foreign shows in the Uk thread *scribbles in notebook*

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Someone make a mediocre BBC4 Eurodrama thread, stat! (I watched a bit of that 60s (50s?) Swedish one and it was ok)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rarity posted:

Century Falls is legitimately great kids TV. Speaking of kids TV, did anyone watch Jeopardy? A bunch of high school kids go to the Outback and it's really creepy like a horror movie then there's aliens and poo poo goes insane. It was really good (until the lame ending)

yeah, I thought it was great, really naturalistic acting and the characters were very convincing, they felt like actual teenagers rather than some writers idea of how a teenager should act. Never made it to the end though, seems like that was for the best

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Am I still the only person watching Glue? I cant decide if its good or poo poo still, and Im starting to lean towards the poo poo side. If it turns out annie the hippy girl who has no character is responsible for everything its definately awful.

But the guy from Rizzle kicks isnt awful as an actor, hes definately not the worst in the show at least

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Not having Lee Mack on WILTY this week was so worth it to get Greg Davies.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it wrong for me to love the Graham Norton Show?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it wrong for me to love the Graham Norton Show?

I love Graham Norton for celebs getting really pissed, and American guests looking politely bewildered while Brits witter on about cricket and Eastenders

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Octy posted:

Not having Lee Mack on WILTY this week was so worth it to get Greg Davies.

WILTY very much depends on the chemistry between Lee Mack and David Mitchell, so I don't think replacing one of them would work out in the long run, but I agree. Greg Davies was great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Davies was AMAZING. I completely bought the rickshaw story and the fake language thing was so in-line with the usual 'give Lee something completely impossible to improv on the spot' poo poo that I was totally fooled as well.

Also, I adore Phill Jupitus (I think his Quadrophobia video was the first stand-up performance/album I owned) so anything that gets more of him on my TV I'm in favour of.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DominoDancing posted:

WILTY very much depends on the chemistry between Lee Mack and David Mitchell, so I don't think replacing one of them would work out in the long run, but I agree. Greg Davies was great.

There are very few WILTY guests who are absolutely fantastic at it. Off the top of my head it'd be Bob Mortimor, Greg Davies, Rhod Gilbert, and David O'Doherty for completely blowing the item prompt and continuing his story with a straight face.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

pentyne posted:

There are very few WILTY guests who are absolutely fantastic at it. Off the top of my head it'd be Bob Mortimor, Greg Davies, Rhod Gilbert, and David O'Doherty for completely blowing the item prompt and continuing his story with a straight face.

The Kevin Bridges horse story was one that sticks in my mind.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DominoDancing posted:

Lee Mack has no chemistry with any human. His side of the banter is so forced that anyone could do it.

I mean I never really enjoyed him on WILTY, but it wasn't until Not Going Out that I realised how terrible he actually is.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

pentyne posted:

The Cuddle Jumper Incident where Rob Brydon and Nick Hewer wear a two headed jumper, Lee decides to get in on the action and David Mitchell genuinely loses it is one of my favourite incidents of anything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SRwrdsm0lI.

It just goes very weird, very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Lee Mack has no chemistry with any human. His side of the banter is so forced that anyone could do it.

I mean I never really enjoyed him on WILTY, but it wasn't until Not Going Out that I realised how terrible he actually is.

All he mostly when not having to think on his feet about a ridiculous lie he's been given does is dive into the tired jokes of "David is so posh and doesn't know anything about pop culture".