Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Speaking of things TR ripped off was inspired by for The Downward Spiral, I hope he covers this if he's inducted into hall of fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfgfKpnTCrM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Not sure if it's been brought up before, but the chorus of Getting Smaller sounds a lot like the chorus of Pixies - Planet of Sound. They're both extremely similar songs in structure but the chorus is really obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq2ZTg5-9KI Planet of sound. ~ :25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8W8BK8WXgU Getting smaller. ~ :40

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
If we're playing this game that gives me another chance to post the winning combo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ51kW684FM&t=11s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEqZkglTVYE&t=10s

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This is definitely my favorite Warm Place remix as well.

On the subject of remixes: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ruiner/videos/ruiner-2010-gameplay-footage#imagebox

This (stupid looking) mod for Doom 3 has a gameplay trailer that clearly uses a remix of Ruiner but I've never been able to track it down. Anyone know which one it is?

I'm sure it's just another lovely fan-remix, there used to be tons of them.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is This a Clip From a Trent Reznor Score or a Household Appliance?
http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/quiz-trent-reznor-score-or-household-appliance.html?mid=twitter_vulture

18/22
You might need to turn off ad block to play

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Dr Tran posted:

Is This a Clip From a Trent Reznor Score or a Household Appliance?
http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/quiz-trent-reznor-score-or-household-appliance.html?mid=twitter_vulture

18/22
You might need to turn off ad block to play

This seems fun but it won't let me past the first answer. I don't use adblock or any such thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SacrificialGoat posted:

This seems fun but it won't let me past the first answer. I don't use adblock or any such thing.
Yeah same :(

The concept is hilarious and I want to see the whole thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was able to get through it all. Got a perfect score. The dead give away is the appliances are recorded in a way lower quality.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

GuavaMoment posted:

If we're playing this game that gives me another chance to post the winning combo:

I'd love to hear the story of how this was discovered.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

I was able to get through it all. Got a perfect score. The dead give away is the appliances are recorded in a way lower quality.
I tried it in Internet Explorer and was able to do the whole thing. I got 15 out of 22. With some of those, it was really hard to tell the difference :negative:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

Oh my god I cannot ever disassociate these, now.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

echronorian posted:

Oh my god I cannot ever disassociate these, now.

I remember Trent saying in an interview that he has to get "in the mood" to write stuff with spooky lighting and drapes. I hope that going on youtube and searching for "Halloween videos" is also part of his artistic process.

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders
Can anyone fill me in on why Trent seems to talk about pigs and troughs starting with Broken, TDS and continuing on into The Slip? Does it have something to do with the Tate mansion that he used to record in?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Negative_Kittens posted:

Can anyone fill me in on why Trent seems to talk about pigs and troughs starting with Broken, TDS and continuing on into The Slip? Does it have something to do with the Tate mansion that he used to record in?

It is because pigs are really cool animals that are smart and cute.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Maybe he got arrested in the early 90s.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Negative_Kittens posted:

"Subjects for a NIN Song" is a really short list.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Periodiko posted:

"Subjects for a NIN Song" is a really short list.

1. Pigs
2. George W. Bush :argh:
3. Being sad about a girl
4. Being horny for a girl
5. My arms, and how they flip flop

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

1. Pigs
2. George W. Bush :argh:
3. Being sad about a girl
4. Being horny for a girl
5. My arms, and how they flip flop
Don't forget being really depressed in general! :haw:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The Fragile is almost entirely "coming off cocaine/fighting cocaine addiction/my friends are high on cocaine and I'm jelly/I'm high on cocaine and they are jelly" songs with the most obvious being The Big Come Down and the least obvious being The Wretched.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

You make it sound like The Fragile is a concept album about being the Rock N Roll Clown from Metalocalypse, which would be kind of awesome honestly. Which Fragile kind of already is to many people.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echronorian posted:

The Fragile is almost entirely "coming off cocaine/fighting cocaine addiction/my friends are high on cocaine and I'm jelly/I'm high on cocaine and they are jelly" songs with the most obvious being The Big Come Down and the least obvious being The Wretched.

Most of those could be read as "I am depressed about a girl...a girl named cocaine!" and "I'm horny for a girl...a girl named cocaine!" though. So I stand by my original list :colbert:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Most of those could be read as "I am depressed about a girl...a girl named cocaine!" and "I'm horny for a girl...a girl named cocaine!" though. So I stand by my original list :colbert:

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/154133/replace-darling-baby-with-jesus

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

If we're being that vague though you've described like 90% of pop music.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The songs about girls on fragile are all "we're cokeheads, we're keeping it a secret." I think reznor was and still is really ashamed of some of his habits which is pretty clear when you consider his vague lyricism (a staple of his song writing)and reluctance to speak in detail in interviews, etc.

I think you could see his lyricism as an attempt to be accessable by writing in general terms, or you could say he's bad at writing lyrics. Personally, I think both of these are symptoms of him being a distant person, with all the songs he wrote on the fragile being about him recognizing he has a problem that makes him weak. Hint: the album is called The Fragile.

Then a few years later we get ripped, clean living Trent branching out and keeping busy. I think his song subjects have gotten waaaay more varied.

With Teeth, as an album title, is aggressive and dominant. Very differenfrom any of his prior albums. ( Broken, the downward spiral, they're all sort of submissive and sound like an overwhelmed person. )

I see year zero as reznor refusing to write a single song from his own perspective, while keeping his personal attitudes. He projects his own frustration onto fictional characters. Instead of depressed Trent you get a depressed soldier. Instead of a vague suicide song you get a song about societal suicide.

The title Year Zero refers to the year this fictional world ends as much as it refers to the moment Trent Reznor really got conscious about songwriting. Prior to that album it was all inward, with little thought and more about the feeling, setting a stage sort of with vague imagery.

Since YZ I think he's written his best lyrics by not letting the subject be his own life, and instead projecting his opinions onto others.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 15, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I always thought it was really interesting that almost all of his lyrics especially from PHM through TDS are "I/you" lyrics where the "you" is always a rather vague entity that ranges from someone in a relationship with him to someone who is an authority figure. But in one song, the becoming, he actually addresses someone by name: "Annie, hold a little tighter I might just slip away"

Apparently Annie was an old college girlfriend of his but I found it odd that its the only time he ever referred to the subject of a song by name that I can think of (though I guess Capital G is obviously about Bush)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Earwicker posted:

I always thought it was really interesting that almost all of his lyrics especially from PHM through TDS are "I/you" lyrics where the "you" is always a rather vague entity that ranges from someone in a relationship with him to someone who is an authority figure. But in one song, the becoming, he actually addresses someone by name: "Annie, hold a little tighter I might just slip away"

Apparently Annie was an old college girlfriend of his but I found it odd that its the only time he ever referred to the subject of a song by name that I can think of (though I guess Capital G is obviously about Bush)

He's actually said that Capital G was about greed, but Bush. I don't know how much I believe him, though.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

TheJoker138 posted:

He's actually said that Capital G was about greed, but Bush. I don't know how much I believe him, though.

Well the guy unfurled giant banners with GWB's face on it behind the band while playing The Hand That Feeds, so he obviously has no qualms about naming names when it comes to politics. I took Capital G not so much as a jab at Bush in the literal sense, but more about the idea of Bush and the other politicans like him. Then again it could be his way of trying to prevent the song from dating itself (like the second half of Al Jourgensen's catalogue will ten years from now).

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This is definitely my favorite Warm Place remix as well.

On the subject of remixes: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ruiner/videos/ruiner-2010-gameplay-footage#imagebox

This (stupid looking) mod for Doom 3 has a gameplay trailer that clearly uses a remix of Ruiner but I've never been able to track it down. Anyone know which one it is?

Speaking of Doom 3, I've heard there are a few mods that (partially) restore the sounds effects and music Reznor was working on before he dropped out. Anyone try them and know if they're worth a shot? Quake still sounds great and Reznor should take a break from creating academy award winning film scores and make some more video game boom boom shooty noises.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wild T posted:

Speaking of Doom 3, I've heard there are a few mods that (partially) restore the sounds effects and music Reznor was working on before he dropped out. Anyone try them and know if they're worth a shot? Quake still sounds great and Reznor should take a break from creating academy award winning film scores and make some more video game boom boom shooty noises.
I tried it a while back, and IIRC, one of the guns (I think it might have been the shotgun?) sounded way the gently caress better than the sound id ended up going with, but the rest didn't sound much/any different.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NIN's Austin City Limits performance that they recorded last year with the Tension lineup is re-airing on PBS tomorrow night (10/18) at 9pm EST / 8 Central. Although if you won't be available to watch it at that time, I have a YouTube link to the whole performance in the OP.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Just popping in to read what's new.

Finishing up our move to the new house....hey touched my original copy of PHM and Spiral tonight for the first time in at least....10 years?
They've been boxed up and I am setting up a shelf of CDs and records at this place.

I've been playing the remastered PHM and the 10th aniv edition of Spiral for years.

I think my copy of Fragile, at least its packaging, still smells like weed from the late '90s.

I've been listening to Marks during the move, and its kind of grown on me.
I always did like With Teeth..even if its only sort-of enjoyed by many nin fans.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The fragile is so strange, because the first disc is like three quaters of a really great album. And then it kinda loses me at some point.

It's also, as pointed out, really overtly Cocaine: Hell of a drug - the Album.

And so much of it is throat destroying it's no surprise a lot of it isn't played any more.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

LordPants posted:

It's also, as pointed out, really overtly Cocaine: Hell of a drug - the Album.

I don't think this is true. Trent was clean for awhile and then relapsed really hard after he had a single drink to celebrate it debuting at number one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't think this is true. Trent was clean for awhile and then relapsed really hard after he had a single drink to celebrate it debuting at number one.

I don't really see how that contradicts the album being about drugs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There are certainly songs on The Fragile that are about drugs but I don't really see how the album is a cohesive whole that is really "about" any one thing. That's one of it's weaker points IMO.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I agree, i enjoy the Fragile though as a double album, its a bit weak in spots.
I definitely listen to 'Left' more than 'Right'.

Then again, Starfuckers isn't one of my favorite songs.
I like Day The World Went Away, We're in This Together, The Fragile, The Wretched, Lamir, and The Great Below all more than Starfuckers.

That's just me though.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Ya I really don't think the album is "overtly" about Cocaine. Some tracks, but certainly not how some people want to pigeon hole it.

Look at songs like We're In This Together Now and the title track, amongst others. He's also openly stated some songs were about specific people like The Day The World Went Away being about a grandparent dying.

I mean his lyrics are vague and of course you can impose your own interpretation onto them. But to just pigeon hole it as an album entirely about cocaine is dumb.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I remember reading Trent saying the reason there's so many instrumentals is because of writers block due to addiction. Am I imagining this? Or am I just not remembering right?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mishaco posted:

I agree, i enjoy the Fragile though as a double album, its a bit weak in spots.
I definitely listen to 'Left' more than 'Right'.

Then again, Starfuckers isn't one of my favorite songs.
I like Day The World Went Away, We're in This Together, The Fragile, The Wretched, Lamir, and The Great Below all more than Starfuckers.

That's just me though.

Nah man it's not just you, no one likes Starfuckers

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Pilgrimage is about a late night mission after you find out your regular dealer is tapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I would have much preferred 'And All That Could Have Been' on Fragile over Starfuckers.
SF was fine as a B-Side on the World Went Away single.
I would have much preferred 'And All That Could Have Been' on Fragile over Starfuckers.
SF was fine as a B-Side on the World Went Away single. There it was just a fun and fine song.