Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

pentyne posted:

All he mostly when not having to think on his feet about a ridiculous lie he's been given does is dive into the tired jokes of "David is so posh and doesn't know anything about pop culture".

And pounce onto other people's good comedy moments like in the above example.

He's tolerable on WILTY in small doses, but he absolutely ruins stuff like 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown with his bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

pentyne posted:

All he mostly when not having to think on his feet about a ridiculous lie he's been given does is dive into the tired jokes of "David is so posh and doesn't know anything about pop culture".

Well, good thing that that's the whole point of the show then, isn't it?
"Oh that Lee Mack, awfully good at doing what this show is about. I hate him".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Steve2911 posted:

He's tolerable on WILTY in small doses, but he absolutely ruins stuff like 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown with his bullshit.

I only know him from QI, but I'm not a fan of him because he's one of the guests that seems to rush to interrupt any interesting discussion with cheap laughs. I realize QI is also a comedy show and they can't afford to just indulge in lengthy side-discussions to the exclusion of comedy or worse, the audience, but he really seems to do it too quick and too often relative to his total appearances while not contributing any worthwhile discussion or even any particularly good comedy. Ross Noble is another guest I'm not a fan of for this reason, but at least Ross Noble can be funny at times when he's not just trying to be spastic. Ross Noble trying to get out of the rope tie with Alan Davies is a great bit of physical comedy for instance.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Lee Macks standup isn't bad at all. I watched the first series of Not Going Out and haven't bothered looking at the rest though.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Lee Mack is the reason I don't watch WILTY. I like the format, I usually like the guests and I love David Mitchell, but Lee Mack is the most grating arsehole going.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I don't find him attractive either.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I think Lee Mack is good in small doses when he has other people to play off, but I've always disliked his stand-up. I'm surprised to see so many people hate him, though.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'd take any amount of people deliberately playing the idiot on QI over John Sessions' special brand of smuggery. About the only worse guest than him is that awful puppet lady.

I think Lee Mack rates somewhere in the middle of the Russels in my personal rankings, certainly way above eg Andy Parsons.

Also, they should probably stop putting Milton Jones on panel shows. I like him on the radio but he doesn't really work in panel formats, imo.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that puppet lady is loving shite. I was all ready for some reasonably attractive young lady to revolutionise a dead artform and make her stupid granny puppet funny, but it just didn't happen. And now she keeps turning up on different shows and I think she might have legitimate mental issues

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah that puppet lady is loving shite. I was all ready for some reasonably attractive young lady to revolutionise a dead artform and make her stupid granny
But what did you think of her voice (fearne cotton etc)

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Please can you all stop stealing my gimmick. What next, you're all going to have your own notebooks?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah that puppet lady is loving shite. I was all ready for some reasonably attractive young lady to revolutionise a dead artform and make her stupid granny puppet funny, but it just didn't happen. And now she keeps turning up on different shows and I think she might have legitimate mental issues

Who's the puppet lady?

You know who I want to see on more panel shows? Trevor Noah. Pretty much every show he's on he'll get prompted to do the Xhosa language clicks and its always amazing to hear.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nina Conti. Who I actually kinda like.

Also gonna recommend this week's QI XL, Jack Whitehall was in rare form.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
She was a guest on QI once 4 years ago - get over it :)

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

She was quite cool (not very funny, but QI) on that QI, she dropped character and demonstrated the talking from the chest thing and knew loads about ventriloquists.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Big Taff Man posted:

Please can you all stop stealing my gimmick. What next, you're all going to have your own notebooks?

Oh please. I'm modern, mine's on my computer.

But anyway, yesterday I was getting my nails done and I saw a bit of X Factor on the TV there and it made me think back to the old days of the show. So I'm curious. Taff, what do you think of Kate Thornton?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mr Beens posted:

She was a guest on QI once 4 years ago - get over it :)

No

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

XMNN posted:

Also, they should probably stop putting Milton Jones on panel shows. I like him on the radio but he doesn't really work in panel formats, imo.

Personally don't think Milton Jones works in any format, but agree it would be great if they would stop putting him on panel shows.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Rarity posted:

Oh please. I'm modern, mine's on my computer.

But anyway, yesterday I was getting my nails done and I saw a bit of X Factor on the TV there and it made me think back to the old days of the show. So I'm curious. Taff, what do you think of Kate Thornton?

She's got a cracking fringe, and The Big Taff Man loves a fringe on a lady. Voice wise she's ok, nothing spectacular but passable.

So basically I find her attractive and her voice doesnt grate on me

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

She's got a cracking fringe, and The Big Taff Man loves a fringe on a lady. Voice wise she's ok, nothing spectacular but passable.

So basically I find her attractive and her voice doesnt grate on me

But is she more or less attractive than Fearne Cotton?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

tentish klown posted:

But is she more or less attractive than Fearne Cotton?

I do not find Fearne Cotton attractive and her voice annoys me!!!

Please stop making me objectify women, I'm pretty sure they've got lovely personalities whether I find them attractive or not (well except Fearne Cotton she loving does my head in)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't know lads, Nina Conti is alright by my.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSNAi2jB490
I do find her attractive, by the way.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I thought Conti was pretty good in Family Tree, the short lived HBO sitcom created by Christopher Guest.

Then again, I'm not particularly invested in panel shows to care about one poo poo guest every now and then. I'm more annoyed at how they're pretty much all the same given that the same comedians just rotate through them.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Hope im not overstepping my bounds but I reckon people don't like that woman because she's a woman and that threatens them and makes them say she isn't funny, although in fairness women get crap lines in sitcoms a lot the exception being daisy in spaced

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
You're not overstepping your bounds, but you are being rather stupid. People don't like her because she isn't funny to them, and in my case at least, because her ventriloquism isn't up to scratch. Not to say that I have any skill or standards in it, but you could very obviously see her lips moving constantly in the few minutes of the QI episode I was able to watch that she was on, which is my only exposure to her. Having a problem with a female comedian doesn't mean you have a problem with all female comedians, just like having a problem with Lee Mack doesn't belie an underlying hate for men, Northenerns or any other group you want to make him representative of beyond people you find unfunny. No-one is complaining about any of the other female comedians that circulate through the same panel shows like Sue Perkins, Ronni Ancona, Sarah Pascoe and so on. Well, there was some complaints about Victoria Coren a few pages back, but it didn't seem to be anything beyond the usual complaints people have about other comedians and their relative taste in comedy or attractiveness. Personally I think she's a great QI guest (though it's the only panel show I watch with any regularity) as are the other 3 women I mentioned in my opinion.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

tsob posted:

Sue Perkins, Ronni Ancona, Sarah Pascoe

I dont like any of these. Sue Perkins I loving hate.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Burqa King posted:

Hope im not overstepping my bounds but I reckon people don't like that woman because she's a woman and that threatens them and makes them say she isn't funny, although in fairness women get crap lines in sitcoms a lot the exception being daisy in spaced

What an absurd statement, allow me to throw that in the rhetorical bin along with "If you criticise Israel you are an anti-Semite". Please try to have better opinions.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Exactly how poo poo is Charlie Brooker's hair these days?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Paladinus posted:

I don't know lads, Nina Conti is alright by my.
- video -
I do find her attractive, by the way.

I don't like her with the monkey, but that one and the one where she dresses a man up as a doll and then puppets him around the stage are really pretty good. Although it gets a bit weird at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sphkByJVxL8

Terrible vertical-video, but the best I can find of that dude.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Flatscan posted:

I haven't seen him in a while. Konnie probably killed him, because she is a woman and so inherently evil.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
I love Sara Pascoe, Katherine Ryan and Aisling Bea. v:3:v

Flatscan posted:

Last I saw he'd shaved the sides, so it's more. More poo poo.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think Sue Perkins is good, and Miranda Hart? *kisses bunched fingers*

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If we're talking about poo poo hair, can I bring Gordon Ramsay's into this?

I can tell what he was going for, but now he looks like a blonde Beaker from the Muppets.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Morgana Robinson though :swoon:

Her Danny dyer impression makes me feel funny

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Is there like a list of female comedians because I just tried to think of one I like and I couldnt, but thats more because I was thinking of the ones I hate

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think having respect for women is closely related to growing up with positive female role models. Cilla Black? Yes please. Challenge Anneka? Don't mind I'd I do.

Personally, I think that people saying 'i def respect women, its just uhhh her ventriloquist skills arent up to scratch' should take a long look in the mirror. For it is only in the mirror that you will find someone who will believe that - yourself.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Women are not funny.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Haggis Heed posted:

Women are not funny.

Weird, I always thought you were a bloke.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Taff, next to your name in my notepad, I have marked you as a solid 6.5 poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

The Big Taff Man posted:

Is there like a list of female comedians because I just tried to think of one I like and I couldnt, but thats more because I was thinking of the ones I hate
Im really struggling. Oh French and Saunders of course. Sarah Silverman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Silverman is loving awesome but she's from one of those big country's over the atlantic so doesn't count.

There are bloody loads of really great actresses in our sketch shows but I'm loving struggling to think of a good UK female standup.