Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I watch the NASCAR road races at Watkins Glen every year because it's a hilarious clusterfuck every time.

Because it's literally the only place in the USA that has any sort of relevance to Formula 1.

Like, seriously, that's it. It had parties that rivaled the Snake pit (and I imagine places like Silverstone, Monza) and it had history. Every time sports cars and Indy would go up they would have Varsha or someone else go on about the "legends" that raced there, and cut to shots of a museum that exists near by.

Indy is IndyCar-centric, and Austin has yet to be established as an F1-market.

That's Formula 1's true home in the US. Period. Unless you want to trot out Emmo's opinion on things, which I'm sure you guys would be thrilled to hear. ;).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because it's literally the only place in the USA that has any sort of relevance to Formula 1.

Like, seriously, that's it. It had parties that rivaled the Snake pit (and I imagine places like Silverstone, Monza) and it had history. Every time sports cars and Indy would go up they would have Varsha or someone else go on about the "legends" that raced there, and cut to shots of a museum that exists near by.

That's Formula 1's true home in the US. Period. Unless you want to trot out Emmo's opinion on things, which I'm sure you guys would be thrilled to hear. ;).

no one cares

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Its an awful track and will never ever host an F1 race again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Its an awful track and will never ever host an F1 race again.

1.) It's not an awful track especially compared to the boring rear end tilkedromes that F1 seems to quite like.

2.) That's true, it won't, which is a shame.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

istanbul park, sepang and austin are all better tracks than watkins glen, and the fact that tilke has designed even one good track is a minor miracle given the constraints in which he has to work

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

be nice wicka posted:

the constraints in which he has to work

Some of them are even of his own design :v:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol I'm actually on fuzzy's side for once. Stay worse worse thread

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it's been like four loving years since this thread released the FIA's standards for designing new tracks essentially force tilke into making wide tracks with giant run offs where it's easy to pass and mistakes are never punished, thus forcing him to do things like add giant straights with hairpins at the end just to add ANY semblance of difficulty or the possibility of noobs rosberging the braking zone. why are we still having the "tilke sucks" conversation

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

be nice wicka posted:

it's been like four loving years since this thread released the FIA's standards for designing new tracks essentially force tilke into making wide tracks with giant run offs where it's easy to pass and mistakes are never punished, thus forcing him to do things like add giant straights with hairpins at the end just to add ANY semblance of difficulty or the possibility of noobs rosberging the braking zone. why are we still having the "tilke sucks" conversation

Something that's been poo poo for years is still poo poo sorry

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

be nice wicka posted:

Because they cant parse that their horrid little track is awful and thus need some sort of reason to cling on to about why its somehow 'better' than tracks that do get used. Even China is better than Watkins Glen and thats sinking into a swamp.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

be nice wicka posted:

Tilke can make a decent track if he lucks into hills (Trukey). As for flat tracks though, it's strange he never tried to recreate Silverstone or old Hockenheim, as those were both pretty flat, but interesting.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I thought watkins glenn was fun to drive in grand prix legends

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Because they cant parse that their horrid little track is awful and thus need some sort of reason to cling on to about why its somehow 'better' than tracks that do get used. Even China is better than Watkins Glen and thats sinking into a swamp.

yeah i forgot about china. also he re-did austria back in the day that's a solid track

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

IanTheM posted:

Tilke can make a decent track if he lucks into hills (Trukey). As for flat tracks though, it's strange he never tried to recreate Silverstone or old Hockenheim, as those were both pretty flat, but interesting.

Both circuits modern F1 safety requirements would never allow to happen. Hence why he can't.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

JFairfax posted:

When you watch modern F1 cars go around that track in racing sims you realize how suicidally dangerous that'd be.

serious gaylord posted:

Both circuits modern F1 safety requirements would never allow to happen. Hence why he can't.

I can understand why he couldn't recreate Monaco, but Hockenheim without the trees lining the straights would be fine, and Silverstone has a ton of empty space around it anyway.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

exactly. if you surrounded all of silverstone's good corners with the required mile of asphalt it would be boring as gently caress

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

be nice wicka posted:

exactly. if you surrounded all of silverstone's good corners with the required mile of asphalt it would be boring as gently caress

Well Silverstone is still a boring pile of poo poo so I fail to see the difference here

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Cubey posted:

Well Silverstone is still a boring pile of poo poo so I fail to see the difference here

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Problem is that the UK's other tracks are a bit rustic in places. Donnington still has a guy on a tractor clearing stuff for a start, and there is no way in hell they are going to pump money into the track to make it F1 ready while Bernie is still pulling his bullshit. I would imagine it's the same with brands hatch as well.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donington_Park#Failed_2010_British_Grand_Prix_bid

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Should be noted that I was talking about the new owners, they learned from what happened to the old owners. loving Bernie.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

learnincurve posted:

I would imagine it's the same with brands hatch as well.

Brands Hatch is a goddamn amazing race track and it's a crying shame that F1 races at Silverstone instead. Then again if F1 decided to run Brands Hatch, they'd probably neuter the hell out of it like they did Silverstone, Mexico, Fuji etc. and make it suck anyway so whatever.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
2014 (the game) just ain't the same. I can't annoy my housemate by turning the volume up and doing really late gear changes. :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

JFairfax posted:

it's a nice track because it seems simple but almost none of the turns are trivial in any way. there is no way in hell it could possibly support F1, though.

e) during the 1979 USGP, I think I remember James Hunt saying he considered it the second hardest track on the calender to drive after the Nurburgring, which seems weird, but like I said, there wasn't a single trivial corner on the thing, everything was off-camber or awkwardly positioned in some way.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 19, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Watkins Glen will never host another F1 grand prix because half the corners have armco right at the edge of the track. This means any mistake has cars crashing into the wall at 200+ kph. The FIA wouldn't allow that. Any money pumped into getting the track ready for an F1 Grand Prix wouldn't be worth it. There's no way they'd make enough money to pay Bernie's outrageous fees plus the cost of renovating the track and the facilities.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I still love the Glen Though.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Who cares. COTA is a great track. Too bad about the retarded name though.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Ugh, yeah, the name is absolutely the worst thing about it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Huh,What on earth are you lot going on about? Watkins Glen is a great track!
Sure, NASCARs look terrible there, but any of the sportscar racing is great to watch. (And it's awesome in iRacing too).

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Wirth1000 posted:

Who cares. COTA is a great track. Too bad about the retarded name though.

That's cause tilke only designed the facilities and construction schedule for that, COTA was sketched on some napkins by dudes with tons of money who wanted to build a track.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Problem is that the UK's other tracks are a bit rustic in places. Donington still has a guy on a tractor clearing stuff for a start, and there is no way in hell they are going to pump money into the track to make it F1 ready while Bernie is still pulling his bullshit. I would imagine it's the same with brands hatch as well.

I'd dearly love to see an F1 race at Oulton Park, but there's no way they can create the run off space required. In fact if something happened to an F1 car coming down to Cascades there every chance they'd end up t-boning someone who's half a lap further round the circuit and braking for Knickerbrook.

That said, if you have enough money safety doesn't seem to be such an obstacle. Sochi seemed to be almost entirely concrete walls with the occasional tyre barrier, and nowhere near enough access points for marshalls to remove cars or debris from the track, yet it was passed by the FIA to host a race.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Was it the Korean track or the Indian track that didn't pass FIA inspection until a day before free practice?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Huh,What on earth are you lot going on about? Watkins Glen is a great track!
Sure, NASCARs look terrible there, but any of the sportscar racing is great to watch. (And it's awesome in iRacing too).

Watkins is indeed a great track. A great track for GT cars. Brands Hatch is also a great track. Watkins and Brands are actually two of my favorite tracks to drive in racing sims. They just don't work for Formula 1.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

keevo posted:

Was it the Korean track or the Indian track that didn't pass FIA inspection until a day before free practice?

Both were total and utter disasters, but this was Korea if I remember correctly. The track was dirty was hell during free practice as well, with poorly painted curbs and dingy looking facilities. The whole track looked as if a dust storm had rolled in right before practice began.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

be nice wicka posted:

Like any of the legion of shitposters in this thread could remember four years ago. ;)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The original point before everyone started crying about degrees of eurocentrism and butthurtness was that Bernie doesn't give a poo poo about good tracks, politics, quality of racing or anything else other than the willingness of a place to let him and his circus visit their recently paved blight in exchange for boatloads of money.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CoffeeBooze posted:

Both were total and utter disasters, but this was Korea if I remember correctly. The track was dirty was hell during free practice as well, with poorly painted curbs and dingy looking facilities. The whole track looked as if a dust storm had rolled in right before practice began.

Remember when the crane popped a wheelie?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

animeliker posted:

Remember when the crane popped a wheelie?

Remember when the crane did a bunny hop at suzuka?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Uncle Jam posted:

Remember when the crane did a bunny hop at suzuka?

Ouch. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

• Locked thread