Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ellic posted:

Nothing. Visiting a few hardware forums that discussed the Enthoo Pro and Luxe cases, they were both released 6 months after their initial release date announcement. Apparently their distribution channels are terrible. I hope this isn't true but I have no way confirm. I really can't wait another month, this has been disappointing.

It has been available in Australia for a week :shobon:. You could try sending Phanteks an email for more info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1930376&nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

This deal looks really good? Am I missing something? I don't know how that board compares to some of the $200 boards like the Hero.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1930376&nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

This deal looks really good? Am I missing something? I don't know how that board compares to some of the $200 boards like the Hero.

That's a crazy good deal. The Extreme4 has the same level of features and quality as the Hero, just without the extreme levels of polish/Asus branding.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Quick question regarding the use of fans for CPU coolers. Say I want to do push/pull on my Hyper 212 Evo and I've got a 120mm lying around. Is there any reason I shouldn't use a 3-pin fan for push or pull? The fan that came with the cooler was 4-pin which I've got connected to the motherboard itself. (Other relevant stats: i7 4790k, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Phanteks Enthoo Pro)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BurritoJustice posted:

That's a crazy good deal. The Extreme4 has the same level of features and quality as the Hero, just without the extreme levels of polish/Asus branding.

6 USB 3.0 ports got me all hot and bothered.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Quick question regarding the use of fans for CPU coolers. Say I want to do push/pull on my Hyper 212 Evo and I've got a 120mm lying around. Is there any reason I shouldn't use a 3-pin fan for push or pull? The fan that came with the cooler was 4-pin which I've got connected to the motherboard itself. (Other relevant stats: i7 4790k, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Phanteks Enthoo Pro)

That board handles DC and PWM control for every header on the board, so it'll work perfectly. You'll likely have less control on the fan curve, but it'll perform as expected. Alternatively plug every fan into the Pro's fan PCB and plug that into the CPU header on the board, it is one of the cases' best features.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
So, I have no idea when or if that MSI GTX970 is going to stop being out of stock. After MSI, what's the next best bet?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is this an acceptable case? $49.99 shipped. It has an average of 5/5 star rating with 3219 ratings. That's usually a good sign.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

I have 2xSSD, 2xHDD, 1 GPU (GTX 460 1GB), 1 CPU (i5-750), 1 full size ATX motherboard, and two spare 120mm fans in my parts bin.

Light to medium gaming use (mostly TF2 these days, some KSP, plus the humble bundle game of the week) and a whole lot of web browsing + 15 hrs/wk work from home RDP bullshit.

The side panel on my 2007 era $35 raidmax case won't stay on without significant application of duct tape which is slightly annoying. It fell off again while typing this. It's made it the last 7 years and 2.5-three builds but it's probably ready to be retired at this point. The side panel is mostly ornamental at this point.

Basically I'm looking for a case that has decent (not phenomenal) airflow, room for a full ATX mobo and has side panels that can put up with being a footstool for 20+ hrs a week. Probably I will dump a Broadwell i5 + GTX 750 2GB (or equivalent) in here sometime next summer when they go on the market. Broadwell doesn't hardly use any watts and the GTX 750 uses half the watts as my current GPU so that's why i'm not terribly concerned about airflow.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Is this an acceptable case? $49.99 shipped. It has an average of 5/5 star rating with 3219 ratings. That's usually a good sign.

I have 2xSSD, 2xHDD, 1 GPU (GTX 460 1GB), 1 CPU (i5-750), 1 full size ATX motherboard, and two spare 120mm fans in my parts bin.

Light to medium gaming use (mostly TF2 these days, some KSP, plus the humble bundle game of the week) and a whole lot of web browsing + 15 hrs/wk work from home RDP bullshit.

The side panel on my 2007 era $35 raidmax case won't stay on without significant application of duct tape which is slightly annoying. It fell off again while typing this. It's made it the last 7 years and 2.5-three builds but it's probably ready to be retired at this point. The side panel is mostly ornamental at this point.

Basically I'm looking for a case that has decent (not phenomenal) airflow, room for a full ATX mobo and has side panels that can put up with being a footstool for 20+ hrs a week. Probably I will dump a Broadwell i5 + GTX 750 2GB (or equivalent) in here sometime next summer when they go on the market. Broadwell doesn't hardly use any watts and the GTX 750 uses half the watts as my current GPU so that's why i'm not terribly concerned about airflow.

Hey I remember building with one of those. In 2007. By modern standards it is an absolute turd. Spend a little more on a not-terrible case.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is wrong with it in your opinion? Your opinion jives differently than approx 2449 people (which is what I was hoping to see here). I'm willing to pay up to $89 for a really solid case, but I want someting boring, under 18.5" tall and extremely durable (externally). I don't goof around with the internals but once every 18 months or so.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

So, I have no idea when or if that MSI GTX970 is going to stop being out of stock. After MSI, what's the next best bet?

Asus and Gigabyte. The Gigabyte cards are pretty long, but if you can fit them, they come with triple DisplayPorts for sweet G-sync surround action (hypothetically).

Hadlock posted:

Well... Acceptable, sure. Back in 2010 is was pretty good! Nowadays, it's just okay. It's a bit noisy, a bit difficult to work in, and no USB 3.0 ports. And it'd definitely be an upgrade over a $35 Raidmax from 2007.

Hate to be a broken record, but a Cooler Master N300 would do better by you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone still sell the Cooler Master N300? Newegg lists it out of stock and the only listing on amazon is some third party site.

My laptop and file server both have USB 3.0 (and I even have a USB 3.0 hub to power my arduino stuff and USB-charging bicycle lights) but two years later I still don't own anything that's actually USB 3.0

How is it quieter? Both cases use 120mm fans, unless I am missing something here

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

I've got two of them from 2008-2009 and they're okay. Newer cases will be a little better in a few ways but the three hundred isn't a bad case for the price. It's not thin steel so you can rest you leg on it (but it's 18" tall) and has a bottom mounted PSU. It also has the top mounted 140mm. I've got two front intake fans and a side intake in both of them (120mm), with the back 120mm and top 140mm blowing out. There's a little bit of room for cable management but not as much as in newer or more expensive cases. On the one without a modular PSU I jammed the bulk of the extra PSU cables on the back side of the 3.5mm drive bays and in the bottom of the drive cage. My main complaint would be that the drive cages are mounted front to back instead of sideways like is more common now so if you have a long video card you can't put a disk right behind it or the plugs get jammed up. The 3.5" drive bays are like 2/3 of the cases' internal height though so there's room to put them where you want (my old PC at one point had 4x640gb disks and an SSD and I had a gap for the video card to butt in). The other issue is that the front panel is USB 2.0, which doesn't matter to me for the most part but could be inconvenient if you regularly wanted to use USB 3.0 for hard disks or flash drives or whatever. I've got an old phenom in one and my i5-4670K in the other (too cheap to buy a new case when I upgraded since I had an extra three hundred lying around). I don't have any heat issues and I could probably do away with the top and side fans if I wanted to, but it's not too noisy as is.

It comes with a nice pack of extra thumbscrews for mounting drives and one 120mm fan and the top 140mm fan with 3 position speed switches on them. Newer cases I've used have toolless drive bays where you don't even need the thumbscrews but the three hundred is not that fancy. The front fan filter does stop dust but it's not as fine as some others I've seen (and you have to pop off the front to clean it but it's not actually very hard to do). I've had the fans in my first case running almost 24/7 for six years and they haven't had any problems yet so they seem decent enough. The inside also isn't painted like you will find in most newer cases but that didn't matter to me. I've got cases lying around from the 90s that I did builds in back in the day so I may be a bit more tolerant than others.

I think that if I was buying a new case I'd look at one of the ones that's mentioned in here a lot like a Fractal Design or Nanoxia or Phanteks, but the cheap ones of those are closer to $80, so if you want to save a few bucks and miss out on a couple of features it's worth considering.

e: the noise is mostly because there are little fan cages and grates on most of the fan mounts, which is good so you don't stick your finger in the fan, but also make air whooshing noise because they're stamped out of flat steel.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hadlock posted:

What is wrong with it in your opinion? Your opinion jives differently than approx 2449 people (which is what I was hoping to see here). I'm willing to pay up to $89 for a really solid case, but I want someting boring, under 18.5" tall and extremely durable (externally). I don't goof around with the internals but once every 18 months or so.

Well, it'll hold all your parts that's for sure and the fans successfully spin. But the internals are archaic, with nothing but bare steel with fixed drive bays and no cable routing space. Any modern case is SO much nicer to build in, and will have better airflow for sure due to the wonders of having area behind the motherboard tray. Factory Factory is also right, the fans are not quiet by any means.

It is "acceptable" but there are better cases even with such a low budget just by virtue of being modern.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MisterAlex posted:

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. It's very helpful.

The case has been swapped out for the N200; it looks like a much nicer case. Thanks for the tip.

I switched the PSU to this Rosewill 450W. It's ten bucks more but also has a ten dollar MIR.

For the GPU, PCParts shows this Asus R9 270X as fifteen bucks cheaper. There's also a HIS-built 280 for the same price as the 270X I originally had listed. Do y'all think either one would be fine for 1080p games?

Does this G. Skill 2x4GB RAM pair look good? It's ten bucks cheaper than my 1x8GB and has an additional $11-off combo deal with the N200 case. =)

The gskill ram is fine. I'd be buying the 280.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah so I've decided to cannibalize as much as I can from my old computer...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case
Total: $631.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-18 23:20 EDT-0400

I'm just waiting on the case, I'm not sure if they haven't released it yet or what not, but still waiting to wait for that.

I haven't really pushed my power supply to the limit, so I feel like it'll be fine to transfer it over to the new machine.

Edit: forgot to mention, I want to eventually play games in 4K (when I get a 4K monitor), this should be able to play games in 4K right?

I'd want to know what your current power supply actually is, and how long you've had it.

We aren't quite at the point where you'd get a good gaming experience at 4k with a single card. The 980 only just makes it. If you absolutely want 4k I'd suggest a pair of 970s in SLi. Obviously this means mITX isn't an option.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rexxed posted:

I've got two of them from 2008-2009 and they're okay. Newer cases will be a little better in a few ways but the three hundred isn't a bad case for the price. It's not thin steel so you can rest you leg on it (but it's 18" tall) and has a bottom mounted PSU. It also has the top mounted 140mm. I've got two front intake fans and a side intake in both of them (120mm), with the back 120mm and top 140mm blowing out.

e: the noise is mostly because there are little fan cages and grates on most of the fan mounts, which is good so you don't stick your finger in the fan, but also make air whooshing noise because they're stamped out of flat steel.

Great, thanks sir! The thing I like about the Antec 300 is that the top panel isn't mesh metal which I know is going to dent inwards over the next 5+ years of eating my heel pressing down on it. Looking at the OP the next closest competitor is the Corsair Graphite Series 230T but it has a mostly mesh top which will likely fail inside of 18 months being a footstool. Actually no vent on top would be preferable in that situation but it doesn't look like you can buy a quality case without active top vent these days.

Orientation of the drives, cable routing etc isn't terribly important to me as cooling's never been a problem in my present case (no OC, no overheat issues, I rarely change the system internals these days), nor is USB 3.0. I like that the fans can be setup on low using switches on the Antex 300. The aftermarket 80mm fans in my old Raidmax are all set on low and seem to work great for that purpose.

Considering the new broadwell laptops (Yoga 3 Pro, etc) don't even have fans or vent holes, I'm seriously considering if airflow is even going to be a thing in 18 months, let alone the entire miniaturized water cooling industry. Sure desktops use more power than laptops but my Haswell server only pulls 35 watts TDP, thermal management was more of a concern in the Core 2 Duo days when you were looking at 95-135w TDP. Broadwell desktop is supposed to be on par with Sandy Bridge mobile in terms of heat dissipation.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ellic posted:

Nothing. Visiting a few hardware forums that discussed the Enthoo Pro and Luxe cases, they were both released 6 months after their initial release date announcement. Apparently their distribution channels are terrible. I hope this isn't true but I have no way confirm. I really can't wait another month, this has been disappointing.

It's readily available right now in Australia and the UK. Surely it isn't too far off for you guys in the states.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Great, thanks sir! The thing I like about the Antec 300 is that the top panel isn't mesh metal which I know is going to dent inwards over the next 5+ years of eating my heel pressing down on it. Looking at the OP the next closest competitor is the Corsair Graphite Series 230T but it has a mostly mesh top which will likely fail inside of 18 months being a footstool. Actually no vent on top would be preferable in that situation but it doesn't look like you can buy a quality case without active top vent these days.

Orientation of the drives, cable routing etc isn't terribly important to me as cooling's never been a problem in my present case (no OC, no overheat issues, I rarely change the system internals these days), nor is USB 3.0. I like that the fans can be setup on low using switches on the Antex 300. The aftermarket 80mm fans in my old Raidmax are all set on low and seem to work great for that purpose.

Considering the new broadwell laptops (Yoga 3 Pro, etc) don't even have fans or vent holes, I'm seriously considering if airflow is even going to be a thing in 18 months, let alone the entire miniaturized water cooling industry. Sure desktops use more power than laptops but my Haswell server only pulls 35 watts TDP, thermal management was more of a concern in the Core 2 Duo days when you were looking at 95-135w TDP. Broadwell desktop is supposed to be on par with Sandy Bridge mobile in terms of heat dissipation.

Bitfenix is also worth considering for budget cases - the comrade and Neos are both decent cheap options (the Neos is slightly better) though you'd need to at at least one front fan yourself, they only come with a rear. neither have mesh tops.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

BurritoJustice posted:

Well, it'll hold all your parts that's for sure and the fans successfully spin. But the internals are archaic, with nothing but bare steel with fixed drive bays and no cable routing space. Any modern case is SO much nicer to build in, and will have better airflow for sure due to the wonders of having area behind the motherboard tray. Factory Factory is also right, the fans are not quiet by any means.

It is "acceptable" but there are better cases even with such a low budget just by virtue of being modern.

Antec 300 has been replaced by the Antec 302, anyway. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129180

I have an Antec 302 and wouldn't recommend it. The fans are cheap garbage and it's kind of a pain to build in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Bitfenix is also worth considering for budget cases - the comrade and Neos are both decent cheap options (the Neos is slightly better) though you'd need to at at least one front fan yourself, they only come with a rear. neither have mesh tops.

Are you talking about the BitFenix BFC-NEO-100-KKXSK-RP? That does look like a pretty solid contender, no top fan, 2x120mm front, 1x120mm rear, fancy pants side mount HDD, plus it's only 16.8" high, only 0.8" higher than my current case (this is actually a major deciding factor, sadly). It looks like if you could remove/replace those feet I could get it down to 16"H.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Are you talking about the BitFenix BFC-NEO-100-KKXSK-RP? That does look like a pretty solid contender, no top fan, 2x120mm front, 1x120mm rear, fancy pants side mount HDD, plus it's only 16.8" high, only 0.8" higher than my current case (this is actually a major deciding factor, sadly). It looks like if you could remove/replace those feet I could get it down to 16"H.

Note that it comes with a single 120mm fan for the rear - you have to add front fans yourself. it is pretty decent. If height is a factor have you considered mATX or mITX?

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Just a note if anyone else is looking at the PNY GTX970 - the blower cooler has a slight buzz. I'm experimenting with putting some directional pressure on it to stabilise the caul or something; will let you know how it turns out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

The reason I had a second Antec three hundred was because my dad was using one for an old build and he kept his leg up on it all of the time. He got tired of blocking the fan on top with his leg and asked for his new build (a couple years ago) if he could go with a shorter case without a top fan so I got him setup with a micro-atx case with no top fan mount, leaving the three hundred spare and eventually usable for my haswell build. I like the look of the Bitfenix that Bude is suggesting.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Can I get some advice on my build? I'm straight up ARTS so I have no idea what I'm looking at, at all :confused: (shout out to my guildmaster for making me a shopping list). This is a gaming PC that I specifically bought to play Dragon Age Inquisition on maximum sparkle. On steam, I stockpiled a buttload of old games from the past 5 years or so. I also play World of Warcraft. My multimedia interests don't go past lurking tumblr. As for my monitor, I have some flatscreen from 2009 that I mean to upgrade on boxing day (recommendations are appreciated).

My budget is $2000 CAD and this comes up to $1800 :stonk:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jbj76h

I don't have a SSD (WHATEVER THAT IS) because he said it wasn't needed but it sounds like you guys like it or something. Also, I'm not sure if those are the exact memory cards I have since there were like 5 that I swear to god were the exact same. Here is the one I have: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

Also I've actually already bought most of these parts :sweatdrop: so hopefully they aren't complete trash. Newegg takes returns right...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd want to know what your current power supply actually is, and how long you've had it.

We aren't quite at the point where you'd get a good gaming experience at 4k with a single card. The 980 only just makes it. If you absolutely want 4k I'd suggest a pair of 970s in SLi. Obviously this means mITX isn't an option.
Mentioned it before, had it for 5 years,

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Are Power Supplies just bound with an expiration date or can I hold out longer if I haven't really taxed this thing?

Weird, mini-itx boards only have 1 pci-e slot but the 380t case supports 2 pci-e slots?

edit: I'm running an AMD Athlon II X3 435 with an ATI HD4890 graphics card ATM.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 19, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
They don't have an expiration date, but they have a sell-by. That is not the type of unit you should keep limping along. While it was great in its day, that day was 2007. The unit is out of warranty and totally outclassed by new units, even if it were new.

vivisecting posted:

Can I get some advice on my build? I'm straight up ARTS so I have no idea what I'm looking at, at all :confused: (shout out to my guildmaster for making me a shopping list). This is a gaming PC that I specifically bought to play Dragon Age Inquisition on maximum sparkle. On steam, I stockpiled a buttload of old games from the past 5 years or so. I also play World of Warcraft. My multimedia interests don't go past lurking tumblr. As for my monitor, I have some flatscreen from 2009 that I mean to upgrade on boxing day (recommendations are appreciated).

Well...

quote:

Also I've actually already bought most of these parts :sweatdrop: so hopefully they aren't complete trash. Newegg takes returns right...

:negative:

Okay fine, let's break out the parts list:

quote:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($325.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($142.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1435.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 04:48 EDT-0400

CPU - wrong. Not only did you overspend on an i7, which is useless over an i5 for gaming like you've described, but you didn't even overspend for the correct i7, the i7-4790K. You got the last-gen part that's slower and has problems overclocking.

Not that you could overclock much anyway on a Hyper 212 EVO, but on a -70K instead of -90K, you pretty much can't overclock at all.

The motherboard is a model with KILLERTM Ethernet. This makes what would otherwise be a fine board into crash-prone trash.

Your RAM has Big Dumb Heatsinks, unnecessary giant fins on top that serve no purpose except to get in the way of the CPU cooler.

Paying $450 for a 780 Ti is overpaying $100 for a GeForce 970 that runs hotter and uses more electricity.

I can't complain about the power supply, but given your other part choices, you don't strike me as someone with strong feelings about a fine power supply. As such, I don't think you really knew why you dropped $150 on a PSU, so I'm not sure what you really get out of it over an $80 model. In particular, ultra-high-end power supplies like that are built for making the most of overclocking, but your CPU and cooler choices wouldn't stress even the lowest-end PSU on our recommended list.

Do you actually have any use for a Blu-ray burner? Like, do you burn discs? Have you spent $100 on PowerDVD to play Blu-ray movies? It really sounds like no to both, since your media interests are lurking Tumblr. If this is the case, you could've gotten a DVD drive and saved $35.

--

At least the case is nice, and reasonably priced, too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

vivisecting posted:

I don't have a SSD (WHATEVER THAT IS) because he said it wasn't needed but it sounds like you guys like it or something. Also, I'm not sure if those are the exact memory cards I have since there were like 5 that I swear to god were the exact same. Here is the one I have: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

It depends on when exactly you bought this stuff, but the CPU and graphics cards are overkill, but otherwise fine (unless you bought them after the 4790K/gtx970 came out)- You should buy a 1440p monitor to actually make use of all the spare GPU power you now have.

The WD Black was a pointless waste of money - the blacks are only marginally better than blues, and insignificant compared to an SSD, plus they're noisier

Case is kinda tacky, but okish - the drive caddies are notoriously flimsy, so I would be sure to remove any hard drives from the case before attempting to move it around.

The hyper 212EVO isn't really good enough for overclocking a 4770K, but it will do fine for stock clocks or very mild overclocking.

Bluray writers are mostly pointless, and your power supply isn't the best value, but a decent unit

The only major issue is that motherboard, which has a horrible killer gaming brand NIC, which can cause bluscreens - this is something I'd try and replace if you haven't opened it.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 19, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Mentioned it before, had it for 5 years,

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Are Power Supplies just bound with an expiration date or can I hold out longer if I haven't really taxed this thing?

Weird, mini-itx boards only have 1 pci-e slot but the 380t case supports 2 pci-e slots?

edit: I'm running an AMD Athlon II X3 435 with an ATI HD4890 graphics card ATM.

Most graphics cards are two slots wide, so they need two brackets at the back.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
HAHA great!! Also that graphics card is actually $630... I'm working on Canadian newegg prices :)

Sounds like I need a new everything except the case and power supply?

Unfortunately, I do need to use wireless which I forgot to mention to my GM so the motherboard with KILLER TM ethernet wouldn't work anyway.

I have a computer from... uhg.. 2007? I read on the FAQ that the DVD drive will probably not need to be replaced, do you think I could use my old one?

I literally just bought the parts the day before yesterday so my account hasn't even been charged yet. I'll just return the trash, it's no big deal.

(The case is not tacky!! I'm naming my computer after my favourite Mass Effect character and that case looks like her alternate costume, THANKS.)

Edit: I really just want to meet or surpass the recommended in http://www.dragonage.com/#!/en_US/news/pc-systems-requirements-revealed The fact that the PC specs were just revealed is the only reason why I haven't made this computer already.

vivisecting fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 19, 2014

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

vivisecting posted:

Listen to what others are saying here. Hopefully you can return what you already bought? Also an SSD is well worth it for your OS drive, with maybe space for a couple of games that benefit from really fast HDD reading, like WoW or Paradox map games, say minimum 256 gig Samsung 840 Evo or Intel 530. Samsung is technically better but needs an update to fix a bug. Read the SSD thread OP or ask there. Otherwise get a big Western Digital Red for media storage and other games, a Western Digital Blue for OS and storage if you really don't want an SSD. But you really want an SSD. Really really.

Also a GTX 970 instead of that 780Ti. The savings from that easily cover for a good SSD. Basically, read the OP.

I'm absolutely no expert but been reading a lot and did my own build recently with advice from lots of people. The advice here is generally best bang for your buck I've seen anywhere online. The amount of completely terrible lovely advice out there is nuts.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 19, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

vivisecting posted:

HAHA great!! Also that graphics card is actually $630... I'm working on Canadian newegg prices :)

Sounds like I need a new everything except the case and power supply?

Unfortunately, I do need to use wireless which I forgot to mention to my GM so the motherboard with KILLER TM ethernet wouldn't work anyway.

I have a computer from... uhg.. 2007? I read on the FAQ that the DVD drive will probably not need to be replaced, do you think I could use my old one?

I literally just bought the parts the day before yesterday so my account hasn't even been charged yet. I'll just return the trash, it's no big deal.

(The case is not tacky!! I'm naming my computer after my favourite Mass Effect character and that case looks like her alternate costume, THANKS.)

Edit: I really just want to meet or surpass the recommended in http://www.dragonage.com/#!/en_US/news/pc-systems-requirements-revealed The fact that the PC specs were just revealed is the only reason why I haven't made this computer already.

No, you need a new everything including the case - There are better cases. Ones that don't have a risk of the caddy holding your hard drive in place collapsing and sending your hard drive to an early death. flimsy, easily dislodged caddies are a recurring issue with most NZXT cases. The power supply is a higher wattage than you need, but it's a perfectly good unit and the only thing you're losing out on from having it over something else is maybe $30.

All motherboards come with wired ethernet - wifi is something you usually need to add in yourself, though some boards have it built in.

If you can return this stuff, thats going to be excellent. We can organise a more appropriate list of parts.

What stylistic cues are you looking for in a case exactly? I'm sure we can help you pick something better.

Also just so you know, game recommended specs are generally pretty meaningless - I can tell you right now that a PC built to those specs exactly would not perform adequately to run the game well.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 19, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Note that it comes with a single 120mm fan for the rear - you have to add front fans yourself. it is pretty decent. If height is a factor have you considered mATX or mITX?

My current board is a full size ATX, as will future builds most likely

Rexxed posted:

The reason I had a second Antec three hundred was because my dad was using one for an old build and he kept his leg up on it all of the time. He got tired of blocking the fan on top with his leg and asked for his new build (a couple years ago) if he could go with a shorter case without a top fan so I got him setup with a micro-atx case with no top fan mount, I like the look of the Bitfenix that Bude is suggesting.

Yes I am certainly leaning that way, thanks everyone for your suggestions!

vivisecting posted:

Can I get some advice on my build? I'm straight up ARTS so I have no idea what I'm looking at, at all :confused:

The good news is, if you call up Newegg TODAY and tell them you want to return everything unopened, be really nice and explain to them you bought the wrong things, and :siren: you're going to refuse delivery so everything goes back completely unopened (it looks like, on paper at least, like they never delivered it) and you won't get hit with restocking fees etc. but you're still out shipping to your house. It sounds like you'll come out way ahead eating the one-way shipping cost. You'll need to leave a big friendly note for the UPS guy saying you refuse shipment with a signature, even better if someone is on site to sign their pad for them saying such.

Also, whoever says SSDs aren't the second coming of jesus, you ought to be suspicious of them.

vivisecting, just keep in mind here the magic words are "refuse delivery", and do not go anywhere near those packages or the tape that seals them with a knife! Tell the UPS guy "I made a terrible purchasing decision and the guy on the internet said and I quote 'I am refusing delivery, please return these to the sender'" and he ought to understand and take them back. If he dumps them on your door you're going to have to chase after him and sign his pad. But once they're on the truck and Newegg knows they're coming back you ought to be good, and can re-buy what you actually need.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

No, you need a new everything including the case

So what build would I be looking at? The SA Performance Gamer? My budget is $1775 USD, so I don't mind pulling out all the stops (including getting that SSD).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

vivisecting posted:

So what build would I be looking at? The SA Performance Gamer? My budget is $1775 USD, so I don't mind pulling out all the stops (including getting that SSD).

Do you want me to quote you prices in CAD, using the canadian edition of PCPartpicker?

Also are you keeping that power supply? I'm not sure if it's an all or nothing type deal as far as refusing delivery goes.

Also: do you actually want to overclock your CPU?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 19, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

My current board is a full size ATX, as will future builds most likely

If you aren't doing SLi there is literally no reason to buy a full ATX motherboard, unless you enjoy the idea of paying for ports you don't need.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm kind of set in my ways, but also airflow by default is better in a medium size case than a tiny shoebox, and you can run more, larger fans at lower RPMs for less noise; second there's no strong correlation between motherboard size or case size in price. I'm not seeing where "paying for more ports" is a thing. Third ATX sized cases are backward compatible with mini/microatx, fourth, and this is important, it needs to be at between 16"-18" high to replace my existing "footstool" case, which was the reason I posted in here to begin with :confused:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I'm kind of set in my ways, but also airflow by default is better in a medium size case than a tiny shoebox, and you can run more, larger fans at lower RPMs for less noise; second there's no strong correlation between motherboard size or case size in price. I'm not seeing where "paying for more ports" is a thing. Third ATX sized cases are backward compatible with mini/microatx, fourth, and this is important, it needs to be at between 16"-18" high to replace my existing "footstool" case, which was the reason I posted in here to begin with :confused:

Except then you have the bitfenix prodigy that has better airflow than almost every case on the market, because you can stick a 230mm fan in the front and a 140mm fan in the rear. Smaller cases to a point let you focus the airflow better, and put the fans closer to the stuff they're cooling. And using your computer as a footstool is kinda silly.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

vivisecting, just keep in mind here the magic words are "refuse delivery", and do not go anywhere near those packages or the tape that seals them with a knife!

Thanks! I'll call first thing in the morning!

The Lord Bude posted:

Do you want me to quote you prices in CAD, using the canadian edition of PCPartpicker?

Also are you keeping that power supply? I'm not sure if it's an all or nothing type deal as far as refusing delivery goes.

Also: do you actually want to overclock your CPU?

Oh! I didn't know there was Canadian PCPartpicker. Thanks - it'd be appreciated if you used that.

I suppose I will return everything and start completely fresh, though the only things I haven't bought yet are the case, the memory, and the graphics card.

Overclock: Yeah, probably even though that sounds pretty Intense and Scary.

The Lord Bude posted:

What stylistic cues are you looking for in a case exactly? I'm sure we can help you pick something better.

Also just so you know, game recommended specs are generally pretty meaningless - I can tell you right now that a PC built to those specs exactly would not perform adequately to run the game well.

Case: I don't want a dumb black square, and I don't want anything hyper-masculine (you know what I'm talking about). When I was looking for cases there weren't any that I actually liked, I just ended up settling on that Phantom 410 because I could put a Cerberus sticker on it and pretend I'm in Mass Effect. :downs: I also need a case with a window cause I N E E D this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992011 so that means if the case has a front clasp concealing the drive bays I need enough clearance for the nobbies.

Game Specs: Well then, I definitely want something that WILL preform beyond "well" since I KNOW I'll be modding the game to hell and back.

vivisecting fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vivisecting posted:

Thanks! I'll call first thing in the morning!

Oh! I didn't know there was Canadian PCPartpicker. Thanks - it'd be appreciated if you used that.

I suppose I will return everything and start completely fresh, though the only things I haven't bought yet are the case, the memory, and the graphics card.

Overclock: Yeah, probably even though that sounds pretty Intense and Scary.

Case: I don't want a dumb black square, and I don't want anything hyper-masculine (you know what I'm talking about). When I was looking for cases there weren't any that I actually liked, I just ended up settling on that Phantom 410 because I could put a Cerberus sticker on it and pretend I'm in Mass Effect. :downs: I also need a case with a window cause I N E E D this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992011 so that means if the case has a front clasp concealing the drive bays I need enough clearance for the nobbies.

Game Specs: Well then, I definitely want something that WILL preform beyond "well" since I KNOW I'll be modding the game to hell and back.

When I want to look at crazy cases I often check out: http://www.xoxide.com/cases.html where they have a wide selection of :pcgaming: stuff. I've only bought a few things from then because I don't really care what my case looks like and I usually get black monoliths, but it may be a good site to browse around (in addition to the usual big sellers like newegg, tigerdirect, etc).

edit: don't buy an all acrylic case, they scratch really easily and end up looking like poo poo. A friend of mine regrets that purchase.

• Locked thread