Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
has anyone said buttchain yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

this is funny but i've always thought that palingenetic ultranationalism was a better fundamental description of fascism than eco's attempt (and i fuckin' love eco as an author)

and unfortunately the whole core of palingenetic ultranationalism is the return to a mythical golden age and bitcoiners (like other varieties of technoutopians) are literally the opposite of that
return to the glory days of the gold standard before bad things like the fed, the fda and your parents

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
see also:

quote:

I have never seen a more sublime demonstration of the totalitarian mind, a mind which might be likened to a system of gears whose teeth had been filed off at random. Such a snaggle-toothed thought machine, driven by a standard or even by a substandard libido, whirls with the jerky, noisy, gaudy, pointlessness of a cuckoo clock in Hell.

The boss G-man concluded wrongly that there were no teeth on the gears in the mind of Jones. 'You're completely crazy,' he said.

Jones wasn't completely crazy. The dismaying thing about the classic totalitarian mind is that any given gear, though mutilated, will have at its circumference unbroken sequences of teeth hat are immaculately maintained, that are exquisitely machined.

Hence the cuckoo clock in Hell--keeping perfect time for eight minutes and twenty-three seconds, jumping ahead two seconds, keeping perfect time for two hours and one second, then jumping ahead a year.

The missing teeth, of course, are simple, obvious truths, truths available and comprehensible even to ten-year-olds, in most cases.

mother night, vonnegut

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Heresiarch posted:

mother night, vonnegut

owns

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
apparently when i was 5 i asked for gold for christmas and by the time i was 8 i realized it was silly, mental age of coiners/goldbugs found I guess

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

see also:

mother night, vonnegut

nice

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

today I saw that I can earn bunny bucks by buying energizer flashlights. crazy to see corporate backed altcoins coming out.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

TVarmy posted:

today I saw that I can earn bunny bucks by buying energizer flashlights. crazy to see corporate backed altcoins coming out.

Marlboro Miles, the original smokechain

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Subjunctive posted:

some friends' blockchain-based startup

Subjunctive posted:

they're smart

i'm skeptical

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Heresiarch posted:

eco described that particular phenomena really well (because he's a really good writer) but it's not exactly unique to fascism by any means

FMguru posted:

the weak/strong stuff is seen in all kinds of places, not just urfascism. the cold war images of the russians (a backwards, ignorant, improverished wasteland of bureaucratic dysfunction that couldnt produce enough toilet paper and toothpaste for its people while also being this cunning, sophisticated, enormous globe-spanning threat that never slept and was constantly working in all kinds of subtle ways to undermine freedom around the world and even inside the usa) and the war on terror (al-qaeda was both a medieval collection of camel-loving cave dwellers and a ruthless, disciplined, sophisticated global terror operation with access to cutting edge biological and chemical wmds and infiltrators in every western city) come to mind, as does the way that saddam hussein was presented in the run-up to the 1991 iraq war. what ive seen of british propaganda in early wwii also follows this pattern - the nazis were an enormous threat, but hitler himself was a farcical, ridiculous character.

it seems to be a natural component of "othering" a threat: theyre a danger, but theyre also beatable, so long as we stand strong and resolved.

e: or, what heresiarch said

eco isn't describing fascism (as in, any particular given example), he's describing ur-fascism, and ur-fascism can be at least glimpsed everywhere

yes, any regime that does the weak/strong stuff is trending at least a little bit fascist

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
and put it together with other items on the list

and well, it quacks like a loving duck

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

9. For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle.

Thus pacifism is trafficking with the enemy. It is bad because life is permanent warfare. This, however, brings about an Armageddon complex. Since enemies have to be defeated, there must be a final battle, after which the movement will have control of the world. But such "final solutions" implies a further era of peace, a Golden Age, which contradicts the principle of permanent war.

bitcoiner valuation of evangelization over fixing the protocol

u missed the analogous thing. "to the moon!" is their godlen age, the fight against fiat is their battle.

GrumpyDoctor posted:

i'm skeptical

he probably meant smart as in "can do stuff" not smart as in "can do stuff but thinks critically and accurately about whether it's a good idea first"

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
fascism is in fashion

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

new buttposter nic wrote something about bitcoin reddit

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/why-people-dislike-the-cult-of-coin

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

FMguru posted:

what ive seen of british propaganda in early wwii also follows this pattern - the nazis were an enormous threat, but hitler himself was a farcical, ridiculous character.

does it count as propaganda if you're saying incredibly obvious and true things

hitler was a clown, that's how he managed to get to power. everyone thought they could use his populism to eliminate their savvy rivals and run circles around the austrian retard afterwards. he wound up proving the old "violence is the last resort of the idiot" maxim truer and sooner then they'd planned

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

lol i haven't checked up on bitcoin since karpeles farted. what did I miss in the past 6 months?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

everything

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kiwid posted:

lol i haven't checked up on bitcoin since karpeles farted. what did I miss in the past 6 months?
agencies of the federal government have said, on the record and in official correspondence, "buttcoin"

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

FCKGW posted:

too many words

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

FMguru posted:

agencies of the federal government have said, on the record and in official correspondence, "buttcoin"

rofl i dont believe you

LongDarkNight posted:

too many words

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kiwid posted:

rofl i dont believe you

it's actually true

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kiwid posted:

rofl i dont believe you
the federal trade commission has seized control of and is now the owner of buttcoin.org

that statement is 100% true and accurate

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
found it
https://soundcloud.com/animalnewyork-1/ftc-says-buttcoin

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also bitcoin crashed to $300 and recovered when all the bitcoiners paid one person a couple million dollars and they call this a great victory complete with fanart and its own sub-cult

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

please get some proofreaders for the articles on buttcoinfoundation.org guhhhh

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

the federal trade commission has seized control of and is now the owner of buttcoin.org

that statement is 100% true and accurate

what lol

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

FCKGW posted:

new buttposter nic is a good buttposter but needs to run a spell/grammar check over his articles before uploading them

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

graph posted:

what lol

completely true

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

graph posted:

what lol

that's someone from the ftc saying buttcoin

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

new buttposter nic is a good buttposter but needs to run a spell/grammar check over his articles before uploading them

he's still way better than any garbage i would write

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FCKGW posted:

we can't show any weakness in front of the bitcoiners, lest they realize their true power

or do i have to remind u who u work for??

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

api call girl posted:

and put it together with other items on the list

and well, it quacks like a loving duck
honked again

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just noticed that sometime in the past year Butterfly Labs purchased WeUseCoins.com

WeUseCoins is one of the oldest Bitcoin websites (about a month before Buttcoin started, early 2011) and is known as the official "beginners guide" for new bitcoin users. It's on the Bitcoin wiki, the subreddit, and posted any time someone wants to know about Bitcoin. They also made the very popular "What is bitcoin?" video that has over 600k views.

The site now says "BF Labs" on the bottom, but purchasing the site was mainly to inject product links to BFL products.

Take the link on this page to "mining contracts".

Here's the page as it was cached in October 2013:
https://web.archive.org/web/20131010210100/http://www.weusecoins.com/en/mining-guide

Link goes to the official Bitcoin wiki

Now look where it goes to:
https://www.weusecoins.com/en/mining-guide

Butterfly Labs. Their links are peppered everywhere else on the site to. Any link that went to the Bitcoin wiki that mentions Mining Hardware or Mining Contracts now goes to the BFL website.

WeUseCoins is a PR6 website in Google which is very authoritative. Has over 450k backlinks as well.

A link from WeUseCoins is very valuable and just another one of many sites that BFL purchased to control their image online.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 20, 2014

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

we can't show any weakness in front of the bitcoiners, lest they realize their true power

or do i have to remind u who u work for??

it's about telling, not spelling

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

can someone please make http://galtse.cx but with bitcoin?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

FCKGW posted:

dont uh... sign your posts???

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

can someone please make http://galtse.cx but with bitcoin?

what would it be???

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

what would it be???

uh i'm just the ideas guy, the implementation is up to you

i'll give you 5%

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted: