Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

the spyder posted:

Yea, it's a complete mess. All 100% custom built "gamer" desktops ranging from 3 months - 5 years old. No WDS, WSUS, software management. Ugg. At least it's not my problem. I'm just not seeing this as a good idea.

You know, him purchasing teh latest F4tality mobo XTREME kinda stuff was exactly my first thought for what FNG might buy.

Hope he enjoys his time without adult supervision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
It's hard to get purchasing right these days with Dell being so disorganized. We're 90% mobile I can't find a standout OEM besides Apple. I do all of the purchasing here except for the copier leasing and the hundreds of staff laptops that we just handed out at once last year. Management bought those, the discontinued Vostros.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Roargasm posted:

It's hard to get purchasing right these days with Dell being so disorganized. We're 90% mobile I can't find a standout OEM besides Apple. I do all of the purchasing here except for the copier leasing and the hundreds of staff laptops that we just handed out at once last year. Management bought those, the discontinued Vostros.

I've had great luck with ~100+ Lenovo T/W series laptops through CDW.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
That's where I've been buying my T440s and E440s from :) Love the T440 with the i5-4200u especially, but they always want to go cheaper on the bigger hardware purchases

edit: Dell.com sorts their user reviews for laptops by highest rating. Can't make this poo poo up

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 20, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Roargasm posted:

Absolutely not but the box is a great deal :shobon: Each version of ESX has a hardware compatibility list with a huge range of options. All you're looking for with Intel is a chip that supports VT which could even be the new Pentium. You would also want to make sure to pick up registered memory if you get a server board (the Lenovo above doesn't support it). It's probably rougher to learn, but you can install embedded ESX onto another virtual machine and do VM-ception without buying any new hardware

Yea, the box is super cheap and I have a beefier power supply I can easily put in but do I need the ECC RAM? It's a lab box not production unless I'll miss out on some feature that requires ECC?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

the spyder posted:

Yea, it's a complete mess. All 100% custom built "gamer" desktops ranging from 3 months - 5 years old. No WDS, WSUS, software management. Ugg. At least it's not my problem. I'm just not seeing this as a good idea.

It works fine as long as the FNG they hired is a mature, responsible adult. In my first real admin job I did just fine with being tasked with "Find us an appropriate desktop that we'll buy 6 of for any new people", then I submitted it to my boss to make the purchase order.

Seeing a GAMER XXXTREME ALIENWARE Laptop in the request should have been that manager's first clue that he needed to fire that guy immediately while the probation period was still active.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've loving had it today. I'm running lead on a project that will involve at least a 6 figure annual spend with whomever we choose and I can't get a loving straight answer to some simple questions that I have. I'm going to write a plugin that changes the word enterprise to 'bullshit' just like the old cloud -> butt

These aren't small companies either... I don't get how someone can try to sell a service or a product and then know jack poo poo about it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

skipdogg posted:

I've loving had it today. I'm running lead on a project that will involve at least a 6 figure annual spend with whomever we choose and I can't get a loving straight answer to some simple questions that I have. I'm going to write a plugin that changes the word enterprise to 'bullshit' just like the old cloud -> butt

These aren't small companies either... I don't get how someone can try to sell a service or a product and then know jack poo poo about it.

That would just lead to confusion; for some products, "Bullshit Edition" describes every choice.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I have two new work hobbies.

1) Pretending to be drunk on conference calls.
2) Being drunk on conference calls.

Overheard recently: "I've got an oversized glass of merlot and I'm ready to learn, surprise me you vagabond."

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Heh. We're wrapping up a project of similar scope now, too. A couple of vendors that we were predisposed to really like ended up totally knocking themselves out of the running with bullshit like this. Ask simple questions (like... "how much does this cost?"), wait two weeks to get a response.

If you can't be bothered to answer my questions even during the pre-sales "Everything about our product is AWESOME! There has never been one problem or dissatisfied user IN RECORDED HISTORY!" honeymoon phase, that doesn't speak well of what life will be like when we're under contract. I can find someone else who actually wants my money. Good job, good effort.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pudgygiant posted:

Nah it was just a "drat kids get off my lawn" rant because I work with people significantly younger than me (and I'm only 28). If anything I agree with you, they're willing to work for less which makes it harder for people like you and me to get things like a raise or house or basic benefits.

I am the youngest person in my company at the young young age of 21 and it sucks from my end too. This is because everyone that is getting promoted before me keeps having to come to me for help. They are getting promoted due to being older. Older = more experienced, even if these people haven't worked in IT before.

:negative:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

NZAmoeba posted:

Seeing a GAMER XXXTREME ALIENWARE Laptop in the request should have been that manager's first clue that he needed to fire that guy immediately while the probation period was still active.

Hopefully GPO prevents him from installing any games :roflolmao:

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hopefully GPO prevents him from installing any games :roflolmao:

I was gonna say, hopefully they made FNG a domain admin while they were at it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

along the way posted:

I was gonna say, hopefully they made FNG a domain admin while they were at it.

Hahahaha, what domain? 200+ devices...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

the spyder posted:

Hahahaha, what domain? 200+ devices...

Hello fellow 200+ devices workgroup buddy :):hf::)

I've been here for two weeks and I'm about to ruin everyone's day. Installed Server 2012 R2 on two laptops with 8 VMs (we have no real servers yet), and God help everyone if I manage to get these upgraded from Pro to Enterprise. I'm gonna come correct with the Win-To-Go/AppLocker/BitLocker knockout combo.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

dogstile posted:

I am the youngest person in my company at the young young age of 21 and it sucks from my end too. This is because everyone that is getting promoted before me keeps having to come to me for help. They are getting promoted due to being older. Older = more experienced, even if these people haven't worked in IT before.

I went from a company where I was closer to the median age to one where I was the youngest. The general theme I see is the technology employed by the individuals. The younger crowd when entering the market are using technology of their generation (which is more cheaper/efficient). While older individuals get employed by more established companies with older technology (less efficient/expensive but more established business practices).

For instance younger generation companies/individuals will use Linux, Microsoft, MySQL, Microsoft SQL, ASP.NET, and Python. Older generation companies/individuals will use VB, Oracle, AS400, and Unisys. There is also the fact with a tougher economy new graduates will wind up with these younger companies where they will make less money and work longer hours since they are putting off raising a family longer these days.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Hey can any of you peeps working in SF or know what salaries are like in SF for SREs please PM me.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

owDAWG posted:

I went from a company where I was closer to the median age to one where I was the youngest. The general theme I see is the technology employed by the individuals. The younger crowd when entering the market are using technology of their generation (which is more cheaper/efficient). While older individuals get employed by more established companies with older technology (less efficient/expensive but more established business practices).

For instance younger generation companies/individuals will use Linux, Microsoft, MySQL, Microsoft SQL, ASP.NET, and Python. Older generation companies/individuals will use VB, Oracle, AS400, and Unisys. There is also the fact with a tougher economy new graduates will wind up with these younger companies where they will make less money and work longer hours since they are putting off raising a family longer these days.

Hi, newer tech isn't necessarily cheaper or more efficient. There's something to be said for a well-optimized, totally debugged codebase even if it's Fortran. Newer == better is incredibly fallacious.

Sure, LinkedIn's Rails->node rewrite made it faster, but how many thousands of man hours were expended to redo a 3 year old codebase? Is this somehow more efficient than the Perl, PHP, or J2EE Top100 sites which are humming along?

Before you assert that these are newer and more efficient, remember that VB and Oracle were once newer and more efficient.

If it's not broken...

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

My only concern, do I have to have the Xeon for just a ESXi lab?

I have the i3 version of this server for an media server. The Xeon supports vt-d so you can pass through something like a pci-e raid card to a vm, but they both support vt-x for things like nested vms. The IPMI is not fully supported on the i3, but I hear Lenovo's version of it is good for the Xeons. It is very quiet, has enough hard drive bays for my uses, and the ECC ram is a bonus. I tested ESXI 5.1 on it before, but I will test the nested vms with just the i3 tonight.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

lampey posted:

I have the i3 version of this server for an media server. The Xeon supports vt-d so you can pass through something like a pci-e raid card to a vm, but they both support vt-x for things like nested vms. The IPMI is not fully supported on the i3, but I hear Lenovo's version of it is good for the Xeons. It is very quiet, has enough hard drive bays for my uses, and the ECC ram is a bonus. I tested ESXI 5.1 on it before, but I will test the nested vms with just the i3 tonight.

You need VT-x (or SVM) for hardware accelerated virt period, not nested. Nested is up to driver support (KVM does it, hyper-v doesn't, vmkernel does but can also fake it with binary translation).

VT-x is the same across all Intel dies of the same generation. If it's in the list of flags, doesn't matter if it's Xeon or i3.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

luminalflux posted:

Hey can any of you peeps working in SF or know what salaries are like in SF for SREs please PM me.
What verticals are you looking in, what industries have you worked in, what's your background, skill level, etc.? You can't just throw out a job title and expect payscale to be the same across the board.

In the Bay Area startup space, it typically runs from $75k-160k depending on experience, equity, etc.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
is there a 'Corporate networking megathread' for wired stuff, I can't seem to find one.
I need to ask some possibly stupid questions about rate limiting / throttling an office that has multiple tennants.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

I would be careful with your assumptions and attitude. I go to my helpdesk with things that I don't know all the time because quite frankly, there is no reason for me to know them anymore. My job responsibilities no longer require me to know how to toggle cell auto updating in excel, so I will either pass the issue along to the helpdesk or spend time googling the answer. If I am busy with other things, I'm going to let them solve the problem. That doesn't mean I am less skilled in it, it means my skill set has shifted to match my current responsibilities.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

spiny posted:

is there a 'Corporate networking megathread' for wired stuff, I can't seem to find one.
I need to ask some possibly stupid questions about rate limiting / throttling an office that has multiple tennants.

Here could work, or try the Cisco short questions thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2430375

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

adorai posted:

I would be careful with your assumptions and attitude. I go to my helpdesk with things that I don't know all the time because quite frankly, there is no reason for me to know them anymore. My job responsibilities no longer require me to know how to toggle cell auto updating in excel, so I will either pass the issue along to the helpdesk or spend time googling the answer. If I am busy with other things, I'm going to let them solve the problem. That doesn't mean I am less skilled in it, it means my skill set has shifted to match my current responsibilities.

Cool! Except these people were

A: Doing the same job I was two weeks ago.
B: Asking me how to do their job.
C: Literally trying to give me their new job responsibilities when they got stuck

Don't treat me like i'm a complete bellend dude. I understand that after a year I might not know how the latest "super cool feature" of excel works either. I wouldn't be complaining if this was the case.

E: I should clarify, they're asking me how to do the job they've been promoted to, not giving me poo poo I deal with anyway. I don't care if they give me stuff thats under my job description because hey, that's what I deal with.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Here could work, or try the Cisco short questions thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2430375

it's not neccesarily Cisco, so I'll ask here :)

Basically, I help look after a business center - the type that leases rooms to startups / small businesses. At the moment, each room has its own ADSL connection, but for -reasons- the connections are slow and drop a lot.
The plan is to stick in a 50Meg leased line and pipe it to each occupied room.
So, in my head, this should work:

Each customer router would have its own IP and be separated out from each other network.

However, we want to rate limit each connection, as a cost thing, so customers can pay for 5meg, 10 meg etc, so I think I need a switch that can do per port throttling / rate limiting. Am I on the right track, and if so, what switches would you guys recommend ?

Or other suggestions on the best way to do this. What we don't want is for one person to saturate the connection with torrents/windows updates/iTunes syncing etc.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

spiny posted:

it's not neccesarily Cisco, so I'll ask here :)

Basically, I help look after a business center - the type that leases rooms to startups / small businesses. At the moment, each room has its own ADSL connection, but for -reasons- the connections are slow and drop a lot.
The plan is to stick in a 50Meg leased line and pipe it to each occupied room.
So, in my head, this should work:

Each customer router would have its own IP and be separated out from each other network.

However, we want to rate limit each connection, as a cost thing, so customers can pay for 5meg, 10 meg etc, so I think I need a switch that can do per port throttling / rate limiting. Am I on the right track, and if so, what switches would you guys recommend ?

Or other suggestions on the best way to do this. What we don't want is for one person to saturate the connection with torrents/windows updates/iTunes syncing etc.
you want your own router in the middle.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dogstile posted:

Cool! Except these people were

A: Doing the same job I was two weeks ago.
B: Asking me how to do their job.
C: Literally trying to give me their new job responsibilities when they got stuck

Don't treat me like i'm a complete bellend dude. I understand that after a year I might not know how the latest "super cool feature" of excel works either. I wouldn't be complaining if this was the case.

E: I should clarify, they're asking me how to do the job they've been promoted to, not giving me poo poo I deal with anyway. I don't care if they give me stuff thats under my job description because hey, that's what I deal with.

I'd still be careful with the attitude.

They do have at least one skills you don't: politicking. And it's an important one. Being "better" is rarely what gets you promoted.

spiny
May 20, 2004

adorai posted:

you want your own router in the middle.

genuine question: how would that help ?

At the moment, in our own office we have the setup shown in the picture, a 'main' network, and two 'demo' networks. It works fine, but there is no QoS / throttling in place, so lots of use on one network impacts on the others, which I wouldn't want happening at the business center.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I agree that with being mindful of attitude early in your career. Looking back, I made some pretty egregious political mistakes that put me in a very big hole in my first job out of college. Eventually I climbed out of it, but it took a lot to restore my reputation. Did my technical skills improve? Not really. Did my ability to keep my mouth shut and do my job improve? You bet your rear end.

You may be brilliant in what you do and be stuck in an entry level position. I am not saying you doing this, but from my own experience, and observing of others, being surly and a know it all rarely gets you anywhere. Part of having career experience is knowing when to keep your mouth shut and keeping your attitude in check when it isn't. Progression in this field is earned through experience and time, and rarely can you by pass that fact.

I designed and implemented our messaging migration to O365 and I keep getting questions about Outlook. I don't know it very well because I am not a poweruser for email, and I've made that clear during the process. I don't deal with user issues at the desktop level, so I really can't help. What I can do is batch user management via powershell and the other server related issues. There is always a time and place for experienced and talented help desk people.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Where are you guys getting the idea that i'm acting like some prick with an attitude at work? I'm happy, helpful and I always have a smile. I even remember little details about peoples lives and bring them up when relevant.

This thread right here? Its my only bitching place, I made a minor error last year and while it didn't really sour any moods, i've been careful since.

Am I bitter that someone else is getting promoted to team lead over me? gently caress yes I am, I wanted that, it came with benefits and people tend to come to me if they need a hand anyway. Am I going to act like a child at work? gently caress no. Not worth it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Heh. We're wrapping up a project of similar scope now, too. A couple of vendors that we were predisposed to really like ended up totally knocking themselves out of the running with bullshit like this. Ask simple questions (like... "how much does this cost?"), wait two weeks to get a response.

If you can't be bothered to answer my questions even during the pre-sales "Everything about our product is AWESOME! There has never been one problem or dissatisfied user IN RECORDED HISTORY!" honeymoon phase, that doesn't speak well of what life will be like when we're under contract. I can find someone else who actually wants my money. Good job, good effort.

I asked our hosted VoIP provider for a quote on a new yearly contract since we were moved out to month-to-month a while back after our previous 36 month contract was up. They never got back to me. Three weeks later I've moved about half the company to Google Voice. If you can't be bothered to take our money then welp, not my problem.

The scrambling reply I got when I submitted a request to disconnect 80-odd extensions was fantastic. All I could say was "Sorry but we're too far gone to turn back now, so just let me know when those disconnects are done and I'll submit the next batch."

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dogstile posted:

Where are you guys getting the idea that i'm acting like some prick with an attitude at work? I'm happy, helpful and I always have a smile. I even remember little details about peoples lives and bring them up when relevant.

This thread right here? Its my only bitching place, I made a minor error last year and while it didn't really sour any moods, i've been careful since.

Am I bitter that someone else is getting promoted to team lead over me? gently caress yes I am, I wanted that, it came with benefits and people tend to come to me if they need a hand anyway. Am I going to act like a child at work? gently caress no. Not worth it.

To be clear, I have no idea how you're acting at work, and I'm not trying to imply anything about your attitude there.

The attitude I was referring to was having a chip on your shoulder or feeling like you got unfairly passed over for less competent people just because they're [older|younger|whiter|blacker|snakepeople]. If you have the skills to get the position, you can leave your place and get it at another company. Try to figure out why they got promoted and you didn't (it's almost certainly not just because they're older), but "I deserved it and they only got it because of some inherent trait and now they're dumping stuff on me" is not a good attitude to have.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

spiny posted:

genuine question: how would that help ?

At the moment, in our own office we have the setup shown in the picture, a 'main' network, and two 'demo' networks. It works fine, but there is no QoS / throttling in place, so lots of use on one network impacts on the others, which I wouldn't want happening at the business center.

Stick your own router between the internet and your distribution switch and you can run QoS on that.

How many rooms do you have? How many hosts in each room? Does each tenant need a public-facing IP? Do they need to provide and manage their own router? (Gaping security hole if tenants are all on the same layer 2 network)

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

dogstile posted:

Depending on your work experience and location, sometimes the only way to get promoted is to go to another job. To get from call center help desk to desktop support I had to leave and work for another company. Same thing when I made the move from desktop support to system administrator/back end support. There could be any number of reasons why you haven't been promoted but if a job isn't offering the career path you're looking for it might be time to look elsewhere.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Misogynist posted:

What verticals are you looking in, what industries have you worked in, what's your background, skill level, etc.? You can't just throw out a job title and expect payscale to be the same across the board.

In the Bay Area startup space, it typically runs from $75k-160k depending on experience, equity, etc.

I can provide more details over PM.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

dogstile posted:

Never expect to get the career progression that you want in the company that you're currently in. The trick is to know when to get out of there and find something that will allow you to do what you are capable of doing. Take this as a hint that you should start looking, find something else, hand in your notice while giving your current employer the option to keep you (with some reasonable conditions) and see what happens. Either way, you'll come out on top.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
In general, whatever job you're looking for, there's very likely to be more openings for it outside your company than inside your company.

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Never expect to get the career progression that you want in the company that you're currently in. The trick is to know when to get out of there and find something that will allow you to do what you are capable of doing. Take this as a hint that you should start looking, find something else, hand in your notice while giving your current employer the option to keep you (with some reasonable conditions) and see what happens. Either way, you'll come out on top.
Lots of employers don't respond well to counteroffers, so learn something about your manager's approach to them if you plan on bluffing for a higher salary.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

evol262 posted:

To be clear, I have no idea how you're acting at work, and I'm not trying to imply anything about your attitude there.

The attitude I was referring to was having a chip on your shoulder or feeling like you got unfairly passed over for less competent people just because they're [older|younger|whiter|blacker|snakepeople]. If you have the skills to get the position, you can leave your place and get it at another company. Try to figure out why they got promoted and you didn't (it's almost certainly not just because they're older), but "I deserved it and they only got it because of some inherent trait and now they're dumping stuff on me" is not a good attitude to have.

Oh right. I should probably mention that my boss has explicitly said that he only considers older people for those sort of job roles because young'uns like me don't command as much respect.

I get where he's coming from, I really do. But it also kinda sucks.

E: Oh, other posts are there. I am looking, i've been to a few interviews but I kinda didn't do so well vs people i'm competing with. They had a couple years experience on me, can't be helped :shrug: gotta keep applying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I'm looking to size some UPS's for a network closet. I'll have a total of 8, 48 port PoE switches in the closet. (HP 2920, 470w version). There's plenty of UPS sizing tools out there, but I do not see us drawing near the max amount of power across the switches. Does anyone have any anecdotal experience doing similar stuff? I've got 2 L5-30 outlets and a 20 amp quad box going into that room as well.

Just for argument's sake I'm powering a bunch of servers, 4 existing PoE switches and some other random stuff off of two 3000va units at the moment and I'm only drawing 37% and 47% loads on those units. I was thinking about doing 2 of the APC 2200va units with network management cards.